HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Markov and Gionta both be gone after next season?

Old
07-18-2013, 07:10 PM
MonkeyBusiness

vCash: 500
Gionta will stay IMO We cant lose our num 1 d-man

Gionta will stay in my opinion the small foward just loves Montreal and with our problem in physicality we definitly can't afford to lose a hard hitter like Gionta.

Markov is our BEST defence we CANNOT lose him hes our best d-man in the squad atm and we should sign him a 5-6 yrs contract and then trade the not so good norris winner P-K Subban,he has been AWFUL defensively you cant do 38pts and be good defensively just look at Weber he scored 30 goals in 2010 and hes awful defensively.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:12 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuttree View Post
Gionta will stay in my opinion the small foward just loves Montreal and with our problem in physicality we definitly can't afford to lose a hard hitter like Gionta.

Markov is our BEST defence we CANNOT lose him hes our best d-man in the squad atm and we should sign him a 5-6 yrs contract and then trade the not so good norris winner P-K Subban,he has been AWFUL defensively you cant do 38pts and be good defensively just look at Weber he scored 30 goals in 2010 and hes awful defensively.
Hey man! Welcome to HFBoards Congrats on your first post - you've probably broken a thousand sarcasm detectors already but you'll fit right in.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Gionta will pull/rip/strain/dislocate another muscle/tendon/bone in his hip/leg/arm/soulder/wrist and should be let go before he falls in freakin' pieces all over the ice.

Markov will need a skating aid (like a walking aid) and will be the 1st defenseman to get 40 or more points with such a device. He will be the hero of many impaired people all over the world and will badly twist his ankle while putting winter tires on his electric wheelchair.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:20 PM
habsfanatics

Gio goes, markov stays, for life.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:44 PM
capebretoncanadien

I think Gionta will probably move on but Markov will stay. Hope so anyway.

capebretoncanadien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:44 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Why didn't you read some of the other threads which discuss the trading of these players ad nauseum.

Both players gone? Not a chance. Better chance of them both being back after extensions.
Amazing how so many posters have "insight" ... Actually it's called speaking out of your arse.

How about three factors before MB decides what to do.

1. Let them PLAY and see how they PERFORM.
2. Development of prospects like Beauleau and a RW in the system; would they be ready to make the jump.
3. Injuries? (cross your fingers)

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:54 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Ok so lets put this another way: wich of the two players will have a debilitating season ending injury next?Gionta or Markov or BOTH at the same time? These guy are precious little flowers of hockey players and will have a booboo happen to them soon...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Ok so lets put this another way: wich of the two players will have a debilitating season ending injury next?Gionta or Markov or BOTH at the same time? These guy are precious little flowers of hockey players and will have a booboo happen to them soon...
Knowing our luck, Subban and Plekanec will collide in the first game of the season, causing both serious injuries, and then Pacioretty trips over one of them, breaking his leg.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Dada

Markov has to retire in Mtl

Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Re-sign Markov at a reduced cap hit and give him 2nd/3rd pairing minutes. He is no longer a top pairing defenseman.

Get rid of Gionta. I don't care what he asks for. Just get rid of him. I don't want him in our top six, and he isn't built for the bottom six. It's seriously time to move on. Would be nice to get something back for him at the trade deadline, but I would be happy with the full 5 million in cap space.

Pricenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Robust specimens like Pronger, Lindros, Gordie Howe, and Emelin also get seriously injured. Henri Richard and Dave Keon managed to avoid major damage.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Habs8517

Gionta needs to go asap. He is easily the worst captain in the history of the Montreal Canadiens. He is a joke to be considered a top 6 player. Has very little hockey sense, cannot make a pass if his life depended on it, is a moron that slap the puck in the goalie's chest as soon as he cross the offensive zone and cannot deke a player hell even a pylon is too much work for this guy. The reason the Habs suck so much in the shootout is that they literally have no one able to deke except Galchenyuk.

Markov also is a done player. He was always afraid off physical contact but now it is 10 times worse, he will let the opposing player retrieve the puck and not take the hit heck it was so bad that Emelin slided in his position to take the hit and play the puck. Now you have 2 defensemen on the same side during the play.

Habs8517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:08 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Probably. I hope so as long as we get good assets back.
there is no place for both of them

DO THE RIGHT THING MB , WALK AWAY AND MOVE THEM

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Gionta needs to go asap. He is easily the worst captain in the history of the Montreal Canadiens. He is a joke to be considered a top 6 player. Has very little hockey sense, cannot make a pass if his life depended on it, is a moron that slap the puck in the goalie's chest as soon as he cross the offensive zone and cannot deke a player hell even a pylon is too much work for this guy. The reason the Habs suck so much in the shootout is that they literally have no one able to deke except Galchenyuk.

Markov also is a done player. He was always afraid off physical contact but now it is 10 times worse, he will let the opposing player retrieve the puck and not take the hit heck it was so bad that Emelin slided in his position to take the hit and play the puck. Now you have 2 defensemen on the same side during the play.
thank you , great post

see yah , take the cap space and move on

Old
07-20-2013, 02:23 PM
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensVault View Post
Gionta just floats around. He has a wicked shot, but the injury bug hit him hard and he is now a non-factor out there. As a captain, you're supposed to lead by example on and off the ice. I can't speak to off the ice, but on the ice, he lacks that intensity and leadership that I want to see in our captain. Get rid of him! Goodbye!

Markov still sees the ice well, but can no longer skate. It seems like his knee gives in and he falls a lot. Can't keep the puck in on the power play. Often gets caught pinching, leading to odd man rushes. Get rid of him too!! Goodbye!

^^ = BIG TIME CAP SPACE

I think these two has-beens leaving would get this team going in the right direction.

Just my two cents.
Gionta definitely doesn't float around out there and definitely doesn't have a great shot (unless you count slap shots with no traffic into the chest protector as good shots).

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:20 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

nice dream you had now wake up

Old
07-22-2013, 07:52 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

nice troll job.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
onebighockeyfan

Markov got 30 points last year. That's 51 over an 82 game season. His 3rd best point total ever coming back from injury. He played all 48 games. He's not done.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
CanadiensVault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak90210 View Post
Gionta definitely doesn't float around out there and definitely doesn't have a great shot (unless you count slap shots with no traffic into the chest protector as good shots).
Gionta doesn't have a good shot? What do you think made him a goal scorer his entire career? Why do you think Gainey signed him? For his size and defensive presence? Gionta's a goal scorer, not a playmaker.

CanadiensVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:25 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Markov got 30 points last year. That's 51 over an 82 game season. His 3rd best point total ever coming back from injury. He played all 48 games. He's not done.
+ KHL and playoffs

That's like a full season in the NHL.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:25 PM
la25ecoupe

its better to sign markov then trade him in a year or two for a 1st.. the let him go to ufc.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:31 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
its better to sign markov then trade him in a year or two for a 1st.. the let him go to ufc.
I'm not quite sure MMA is in the cards for Markov.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Matteus

Gionta goes. Nothing against the man but there's no way we're on the rise if we bring him back.

Markov is another story. If MB doesn't want to bring him back for a couple of years, I sure hope he's going to get us a solid young player at the trade deadline.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:35 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Markov has to retire in Mtl
I agree but I want him to win a cup
He is still my favorite Hab player

CaptainIginla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:30 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Amazing how so many posters have "insight" ... Actually it's called speaking out of your arse.

How about three factors before MB decides what to do.

1. Let them PLAY and see how they PERFORM.
2. Development of prospects like Beauleau and a RW in the system; would they be ready to make the jump.
3. Injuries? (cross your fingers)
This appears to make absolute common sense. However, think it applies more to Markov than Gionta. MB will assess where Markov stands in terms of our depth and for how much longer he can be helpful. While I believe MB is shooting to open a window in the next 2 years, having Markov for the next few years hopefully will bridge that time until a hopefully good PMD in Nathan B is ready to play a full time role. If Markov plays well then a 2 year extension will hopefully do it. As for Gio, people are a lot faster in wanting him gone than Markov. Gio was on pace for 24 goals and 44 points. Twenty plus goal scorers aren't garbage to be thrown away, but we simply do have far too many small guys in the top 9 and Im really hoping we have a better alternative than Gio. I certainly would have to be very impressed with him this year to want to keep him and any longer than a year extension is a head shaker for me.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote