HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier Re-signed 2 years 1.75M AAV

Old
07-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
How many RFA years will Couts have remaining after this deal is over?

Also, obviously all hail the great and mighty Couts!
I believe it will be 1 or 2 RFA years

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjoedgaard View Post
I call that BS. People remember what they wants to remember and what we remember is that Giroux is really good now, so he must also have been really good back then.
Keep arguing if you like, but Giroux was well ahead of Schenn at the same point in their careers. The only way Brayden is getting over 3m is by putting up 50 points this year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
I call that BS. People remember what they wants to remember and what we remember is that Giroux is really good now, so he must also have been really good back then.
I don't think so. I remember Giroux being much better and having more impact than Schenn has so far. Schenn has reminded me more of JVR than Giroux, though he is at least more physical and seems to display more drive on the ice than JVR did.

It helped that Giroux was on an effective line with Carter though. Briere was not a good second line player. He was the exact opposite of that, really. Schenn did have to pull more of a load than Giroux did. It's not really an easy comparison to make because their comparative situations were quite different.

07-20-2013, 01:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

We've given you stats & everything else that supports our claims that Giroux was better than Schenn up to this point in their careers. You're the one being selective with your memory not us.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-20-2013 at 01:59 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

We've given you stats & everything else that supports our claims that Giroux was better than Schenn up to this point in their careers. You're the one being selective with your memory not us.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Krishna

Mjoedgaard must be Schenn or Schenn's agent

Old
07-20-2013, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't think so. I remember Giroux being much better and having more impact than Schenn has so far. Schenn has reminded me more of JVR than Giroux, though he is at least more physical and seems to display more drive on the ice than JVR did.

It helped that Giroux was on an effective line with Carter though. Briere was not a good second line player. He was the exact opposite of that, really. Schenn did have to pull more of a load than Giroux did. It's not really an easy comparison to make because their comparative situations were quite different.
Most of Schenn points came this year when he was playing with Voracek. When Voracek was taken off his line his production dipped.

While Giroux did get to play alongside Carter that year his other most frequent linemate was that offensive dynamo known as Darrell Powe.

Briere = Powe IMO.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Oh, I definitely think Giroux was superior at this point in his career. But I also think Schenn has been in a more difficult situation. Either way, he hasn't shown the potential Giroux showed...by this point in his career it seemed obvious he would be a major player.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:06 PM
tymed

As for all the Giroux talk here, anyone who couldn't see that he was something special the very first time he stepped on the ice in orange and black... well you simply must not have seen him, or just have no idea what you're lookin at.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
As for all the Giroux talk here, anyone who couldn't see that he was something special the very first time he stepped on the ice in orange and black... well you simply must not have seen him, or just have no idea what you're lookin at.
You could see that if you even watched him after we drafted him. He lit up the QMJHL and AHL before he started lighting up the NHL

Old
07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Most of Schenn points came this year when he was playing with Voracek. When Voracek was taken off his line his production dipped.

While Giroux did get to play alongside Carter that year his other most frequent linemate was that offensive dynamo known as Darrell Powe.

Briere = Powe IMO.
I'd rather have Powe on my line than Briere the last 2 years. I'm not joking at all. Briere was just that bad.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Oh, I definitely think Giroux was superior at this point in his career. But I also think Schenn has been in a more difficult situation. Either way, he hasn't shown the potential Giroux showed...by this point in his career it seemed obvious he would be a major player.
How has Schenn been in a more difficult situation? Doesn't he get sheltered in terms of both matchups and zone starts more than anyone else on the team (besides Briere)?

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:28 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You could see that if you even watched him after we drafted him. He lit up the QMJHL and AHL before he started lighting up the NHL
Well ya but in context of proving himself in the NHL it was also just as obvious-that seems like what's being discussed here, no?

G was the first Flyer that I followed game by game from draft day. He's dominated any ice sheet he's ever laced up to skate on-in all zones of the ice. Really loved Canada's use of him on the 2-man disadvantage in the WJC.

Last edited by tymed: 07-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.
tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
FlyingPhilly

Wait, I thought Couturier was gonna get OSed by another team and screw the Flyers up. Man, the talk of revenge OS cracks me up so much.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'd rather have Powe on my line than Briere the last 2 years. I'm not joking at all. Briere was just that bad.
Powe had 17 points (7G, 10A) in 81 games during the 2010-2011 season. He was ranked 15th in points on the Flyers, Zherdev (22), Nodl (22), & O'Donnell (18) were ahead of him.

Briere had 49 points (16G, 33A) in 70 games during the 2011-2012 season & 16 points (6G, 10A) in 34 games during the 2012-2013 season.

Giroux had 76 points (25G, 51A) in 82 games & Carter had 66 points (30G, 36A) in 80 games during the 2010-2011 season.

It's amazing how Powe couldn't even get over the 20 point mark playing alongside those two for the majority of that season.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
07-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
How has Schenn been in a more difficult situation? Doesn't he get sheltered in terms of both matchups and zone starts more than anyone else on the team (besides Briere)?
Was he not trying to drag Briere along much of last year? That guy was a massive anchor on every line he touched. Schenn doesn't have it in him yet (who knows, maybe at all) to carry a line himself, much less one that has a husk on it. Giroux, while clearly a special player, didn't have to deal with a guy who was no longer good at much of anything at the equivalent point in his career.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Mjoedgaard

Quote:

Briere = Powe IMO.
In 2009-10 where he had 47 points his two most common forwards linemates was Richards and JVR, followed by Scott Hartnell.

Mjoedgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Mjoedgaard

Quote:

All the stats you have showed (and I have showed), shows that Schenn and Giroux had about the same ppg. Only Giroux had done it over more games.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Good deal. Id like to lock schenn up 3 mill for 5 years. Think he will be more than worth that in a year prob and possibly be one of the better deals in the league.
Why would Brayden Schenn want to sign that though?

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Krishna

Quote:
All the stats you have showed (and I have showed), shows that Schenn and Giroux had about the same ppg. Only Giroux had done it over more games.
Same PPG over a larger sample size.

Akeson was a PPG last year.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Mjoedgaard

Quote:
So Brayden Schenn hasnt lit up the CHL or AHL?

Remember Giroux first really began to lit up the NHL after he got his contract (I dont focus to much on the play offs or you end up thinking guys like Leino is a good player)

Old
07-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Mjoedgaard

Quote:
Same PPG over a larger sample size.

Akeson was a PPG last year.
I just said that. Are you just arguein now with stupid comments for fun? I mean of course I wouldnt bring Akeson up as I know 1 game is not enough, but Brayden Schenn have played much longer and also got the CHL and AHL production.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:43 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Was he not trying to drag Briere along much of last year? That guy was a massive anchor on every line he touched. Schenn doesn't have it in him yet (who knows, maybe at all) to carry a line himself, much less one that has a husk on it. Giroux, while clearly a special player, didn't have to deal with a guy who was no longer good at much of anything at the equivalent point in his career.
Ha very true, although Giroux must have been stuck with some dead weight at points before the Carter/Richards trades.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
So Brayden Schenn hasnt lit up the CHL or AHL?

Remember Giroux first really began to lit up the NHL after he got his contract (I dont focus to much on the play offs or you end up thinking guys like Leino is a good player)

He followed his big playoff performance up by scoring 76 points the next season and then 93 points the following season.

Before signing his contract he had 34 points in his last 38 games leading up to it.

That has nothing to do with what Leino did.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Mjoedgaard

Quote:

He followed his big playoff performance up by scoring 76 points the next season and then 93 points the following season.

That has nothing to do with what Leino did.
As said, he got that contract before he scored that. Yes he had a really good start to the season, but it was no sure thing.

Hell look at the deal JVR got based on his really good play offs and while he played really good this year, the amount he got is way to high for his production.