HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Who is the ideal linemate for Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
  #26
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H
 
Detroit Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Stamkos.

Detroit Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
  #27
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,479
vCash: 500
A guy like OV plays with the puck a lot so don't think he'd work.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #28
VanBrett
Registered User
 
VanBrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Underwater.
Country: Canada
Posts: 512
vCash: 802
This thread needs more Lucic...

VanBrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
  #29
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
For balance purposes I thought about it some and I decided that my choice would be somebody who I absolutely hate and think is a d-bag. Granted, he's definitely worthy of a top 3 position, brings grit, an agitator and toughness to the team and is a former 50 goal scorer.

Corey Perry.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:55 PM
  #30
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think Abby could work better than expected there. Maybe Andersson? Z&D like to hang onto the puck so much, I'm not sure another skill guy is really a great fit. instead, someone who can get them the puck, and then just get in the way of defenders and generate a bit of chaos to allow them to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Maybe it was Z who pushed the piano there.
Pretty much, though Flip deserves credit for getting his nose dirty that year. One of the few times he's appeared consistently engaged over a long stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
If Datsyuk and Z are playing well together it doesn't really matter who their linemate is. IMO lines are based the majority of the time on pairs, not threesomes. The third linemate usually is interchangeable.
Didn't Bowman work off that idea? And I'm pretty certain Hitchcock works the same way, or at least used to. Find pairs that really work together, and then use the leftovers to mix and match to find lines that work. It gives you a good mix of continuity and flexibility.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:37 PM
  #31
odin1981
Registered User
 
odin1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canton Mi
Country: United States
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Either Lucic, Backes, or Stamkos from around the league for me.

On our team Abby (I really don't mind him if our third line is kick ass puck possesion wise), Tatar (has a parise like nose for the net not saying he is parise though), if healthy and abby is hurt Bertuzzi cause I really don't see him fitting anywhere else in the lineup. Of course on the last option I don't really even want him here (or sammy) but I feel he is ours for this year unfortunately.

odin1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:44 PM
  #32
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think Abby could work better than expected there. Maybe Andersson? Z&D like to hang onto the puck so much, I'm not sure another skill guy is really a great fit. instead, someone who can get them the puck, and then just get in the way of defenders and generate a bit of chaos to allow them to work.
They need a guy that can get open and shoot. They also need someone with enough hockey IQ to understand their next move. It's one thing to sit back and watch Datsyuk do his thing, but you need to be able to understand what he's trying to do and adjust accordingly to receive a pass, one timer, tip-in, etc. Abdelkader is a few too many steps behind those two. He can go to the net with his stick on the ice, but that's about it.

Kronwalled55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:02 PM
  #33
sully61
Unregistered User
 
sully61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Abdelkader. He did a good job when the three were together. It's not all about points. If you think that, you know nothing about hockey. The lines I'd role with next season.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Abdelkader
Franzen- Weiss- Alfredsson
Tatar- Andersson- Nyquist
Miller- Helm- Bertuzzi

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:19 PM
  #34
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Tatar
He goes to the net and shoots instantly. He'd have all kinds of room as D keys on Zetterberg and Datsyuk

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  #35
Flowah
#FireHolland
 
Flowah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Abdelkader. He did a good job when the three were together. It's not all about points. If you think that, you know nothing about hockey. The lines I'd role with next season.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Abdelkader
Franzen- Weiss- Alfredsson
Tatar- Andersson- Nyquist
Miller- Helm- Bertuzzi
And since this thread title is "who is the ideal linemate" and you answered with Abby, I'm going to go ahead and say *you* know nothing about hockey.

Even the few supporters of Abby on the first line would never be so delusional as to call him the "ideal" linemate for those guys. Even just from the guys on the roster. That's a new level of crazy.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:05 PM
  #36
ComradeChris
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 589
vCash: 1004
I'm sorry to everyone, but Franzen is not a top 6 player anymore. He is still a 3rd line all star that can dominate the bottom 6, but he is too slow and not hungry enough consistently to be in the top 6. It's been like that since he was a prospect; did great when he was going unnoticed, but froze up in the spotlight. Always a tremendous and clutch role player, but he is nothing else; just that. Get him off the top 6 and roll with the best 3 on your top line... they should dominate. Rest of the lines just have to play solid defense.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar/Bertuzzi
Abdelkader-Helm-Franzen
Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Bertuzzi

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:10 PM
  #37
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
They need a guy that can get open and shoot. They also need someone with enough hockey IQ to understand their next move. It's one thing to sit back and watch Datsyuk do his thing, but you need to be able to understand what he's trying to do and adjust accordingly to receive a pass, one timer, tip-in, etc. Abdelkader is a few too many steps behind those two. He can go to the net with his stick on the ice, but that's about it.
We've had maybe three guys in ten years who appeared to have any idea what Datsyuk was doing out there. Two are retired, and the third is expected to be on his line next year. After that, everyone on the roster is an iffy fit at best, while Gator showed some promise at the end of last year and is being sold a bit short. edit: Also, I don't think having someone who fits all of what you list is on our roster. Franzen has probably the closest skill set, but I've never liked him as a fit next Datsyuk, and he'd be taking our only other significant goal scorer off on of our complimentary lines.

Also, if it doesn't work out and Abdelkader doesn't carry his game over, we switch him out and move someone else in.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:21 PM
  #38
KJoe88
#Fire Holland
 
KJoe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
I'm sorry to everyone, but Franzen is not a top 6 player anymore. He is still a 3rd line all star that can dominate the bottom 6, but he is too slow and not hungry enough consistently to be in the top 6. It's been like that since he was a prospect; did great when he was going unnoticed, but froze up in the spotlight. Always a tremendous and clutch role player, but he is nothing else; just that. Get him off the top 6 and roll with the best 3 on your top line... they should dominate. Rest of the lines just have to play solid defense.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Weiss-Tatar/Bertuzzi
Abdelkader-Helm-Franzen
Miller-Andersson-Tatar/Bertuzzi
If Frazen isn't a top sixer then Big Bert shouldn't be anywhere near the top six. Franzen contributes enough goals to make him a threat. Imo, he could still hit 40 if he tries every night. Does he take nights off? Oh, sure. But don't act like he's useless as a top sixer. He's always on pace for 30 goals if not just under - 28ish. The hate he gets is sometimes absurd.

Anyways, Ovy


Last edited by KJoe88: 07-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:24 PM
  #39
ComradeChris
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 589
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe88 View Post
If Frazen isn't a top sixer then Big Bert shouldn't be anywhere near the top six.
I'd rather have Abdelkader or Bertuzzi or Tatar in the top 6 rather than Franzen at this point.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  #40
KJoe88
#Fire Holland
 
KJoe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
I'd rather have Abdelkader or Bertuzzi or Tatar in the top 6 rather than Franzen at this point.
Why?

If Pavel wasn't so amazing Abby would've gotten...four goals. The lucky hatty against the Ducks and the open netter. Not remotely good enough for a top six role. Laughable really considering he's playing with arguably a top three center in the NHL.

Bert? Well, his skating sucks due to his back and well, he's the epitome of slow now. Imo, he's done. Useful only on maybe a fourth line, extra player, etc.

Tatar will be exciting. However, he hasn't proved anything yet.


Last edited by KJoe88: 07-20-2013 at 04:45 PM.
KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:21 PM
  #41
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Someone who has a functioning brain.

It's a huge joke that Gator is going to be slotted with Z and Datsyuk. The only reason that is happening is because Gator is a terrible bottom six player too. It's pathetic.

You take away just two games from Gator's statistics last year and Gator ends up having seven points in 48 games. Pitiful.

There is no scenario where Gator is the ideal line mate for Z/D. He is an awful player . Ohhh wait, he digs for pucks...derp.


Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 07-20-2013 at 05:26 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #42
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Someone who has a functioning brain.
Here he is.


Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:31 PM
  #43
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Here he is.

[
He is a better player than Gator. I am perfectly fine with being on the first line.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:07 PM
  #44
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,785
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
He is a better player than Gator. I am perfectly fine with being on the first line.
When you call a chimpanzee a better player than Abdelkader, I think your hatred of his has reached a newer, even greater height.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
  #45
MrTaterSalad
Registered User
 
MrTaterSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Nathan Horton would have been a nice line-mate for them. On the team, at this point, either a resurgent, born-again Johan Franzen or Daniel Alfredsson.

MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
  #46
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
When you call a chimpanzee a better player than Abdelkader, I think your hatred of his has reached a newer, even greater height.
One could say Abby drives him... bananas.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  #47
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
When you call a chimpanzee a better player than Abdelkader, I think your hatred of his has reached a newer, even greater height.
The guy is terrible. It is what it is. He should be in the AHL. He sucks too much to play in the bottom six, so what does Babs do? He puts him in the top six so he can hide him. Partially Kenny's fault for giving a mediocre grinder a four year deal and partially Babs fault for not benching him.

Keep on digging for those pucks, Gator.

PS - Gator is a chimpanzee. One chimp is just a much better hockey player than the other.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:30 PM
  #48
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,785
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
The guy is terrible. It is what it is. He should be in the AHL. He sucks too much to play in the bottom six, so what does Babs do? He puts him in the top six so he can hide him. Partially Kenny's fault for giving a mediocre grinder a four year deal and partially Babs fault for not benching him.
Really, no, he's not terrible. Is he misused? Probably. Is he that terrible that he shouldn't be in the NHL? No. He's a serviceable bottom six player.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:32 PM
  #49
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,381
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
We've had maybe three guys in ten years who appeared to have any idea what Datsyuk was doing out there. Two are retired, and the third is expected to be on his line next year. After that, everyone on the roster is an iffy fit at best, while Gator showed some promise at the end of last year and is being sold a bit short. edit: Also, I don't think having someone who fits all of what you list is on our roster. Franzen has probably the closest skill set, but I've never liked him as a fit next Datsyuk, and he'd be taking our only other significant goal scorer off on of our complimentary lines.

Also, if it doesn't work out and Abdelkader doesn't carry his game over, we switch him out and move someone else in.
It amazes me how often this is overlooked. Datsyuk is actually a pretty tough guy to play with. There aren't a whole lot of players in the World that would have half our fan-base happy with their output next to Datsyuk. Datsyuk is an exceptional talent we all know that, but it doesn't mean he is an easy guy to play with, we in point of fact know more have struggled playing with him than thrived at least in terms of our fan-bases expectations.

Zetterberg has pretty much instant chemistry with everyone, Datsyuk is much tougher to crack. I thought Bobby Ryan was ideal but he got snatched up. Kovy plays brilliantly with him but he went home. Parise would have been a good fit in my opinion. He likes north south guys that are ready and willing to shoot and drive portions of the ice freeing him up in the zone. Tatar might get there eventually and maybe if Abdelkader there fails that is the first place they should turn. Hopefully at that point Tatar has the confidence up and isn't flustered by 1st pairing D-men at the NHL level. But I am fine with giving Abdelkader the first crack.

A name I think would work very well and should be available come the deadline is Vanek. He also fixes our what to do about the net-front guy question on the PP, where he might be the best at it these days. Buffalo wants wingers and we have those in spades at the prospect level. Interesting to see how that evolves and what our cap situation looks like, but we could and probably should be big time involved in that trade as long as Buffalo is willing to ship him in division and not scared to death that he will extend, which of course I would hope for.

Be nice to add a known Bruins killer heading into the playoffs and one that fits exceptionally well on our roster.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:36 PM
  #50
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Really, no, he's not terrible. Is he misused? Probably. Is he that terrible that he shouldn't be in the NHL? No. He's a serviceable bottom six player.
Whatever. The guy is going to continue to play like total garbage and Babcock is going to keep trotting him out there and feed us sound bite after sound bite extolling the virtues of Justin Garbagekader and his ability to dig for pucks.

I love how Babcock likes to handicap the top line. Why not make it harder to play against Z and D? That's CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead he trots out the missing link to dig for those pucks. I checked Gator's stats in NHL 13 and noticed his dig for pucks stats was infinity.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.