HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Blackhawks @ Flyers: 7pm Versus/WIP

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
  #201
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Until Knuble gets back I would like to see the following lines to try to get some people going:
Calder-Forsberg-Richards
Gagne-Umberger-Ruzicka
Robatiale-Carter- Sanderson
Eager-Murray-Kappanen
I love hitting and fighting as much as the next guy but Grant isnít the answer. Murray is the type of center for the 4th line that you need or someone similar (Would love a Wayne Primeau bigger center type but we donít have that right now). Who could we acquire for that role? Not Sanderson or Umberger. When Knuble comes back you make the appropriate changes and sit the player who isnít playing well. Bottom line is Richards and especially Calder need to get going and Forsberg can help that cause.

Was there any word on why Picard or Jonnson were scratched? I am tired of hearing you canít scratch a player making 3mm. That is a lame excuse. The goal is to put the best product on the ice and clearly the Flyers are ignoring that fact. It seems to me though by listening to what Homer had to say they are really defending Hatcher ie: working hard, being shape and the like. This pp is putrid. The alarming thing is they have not IMO tried to change it one iota. Ratchje, Hatcher, Kappenen should not be out there on the pp. Try some diff combinations. Why not put Eager in front and use his big body. He has decent hands and could pick up the garbage. Richards is struggling to hit the net so donít use him right now. The D is afraid to shoot. They have great opportunities from the point and they donít use them instead looking to pass.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
  #202
ArchieIsGod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Until Knuble gets back I would like to see the following lines to try to get some people going:
Calder-Forsberg-Richards
Gagne-Umberger-Ruzicka
Robatiale-Carter- Sanderson
Eager-Murray-Kappanen
I love hitting and fighting as much as the next guy but Grant isnít the answer. Murray is the type of center for the 4th line that you need or someone similar (Would love a Wayne Primeau bigger center type but we donít have that right now). Who could we acquire for that role? Not Sanderson or Umberger. When Knuble comes back you make the appropriate changes and sit the player who isnít playing well. Bottom line is Richards and especially Calder need to get going and Forsberg can help that cause.

Was there any word on why Picard or Jonnson were scratched? I am tired of hearing you canít scratch a player making 3mm. That is a lame excuse. The goal is to put the best product on the ice and clearly the Flyers are ignoring that fact. It seems to me though by listening to what Homer had to say they are really defending Hatcher ie: working hard, being shape and the like. This pp is putrid. The alarming thing is they have not IMO tried to change it one iota. Ratchje, Hatcher, Kappenen should not be out there on the pp. Try some diff combinations. Why not put Eager in front and use his big body. He has decent hands and could pick up the garbage. Richards is struggling to hit the net so donít use him right now. The D is afraid to shoot. They have great opportunities from the point and they donít use them instead looking to pass.
on the way home from the game i heard the interview with stevens and he said that meyer and jones have been playing good in practice and he wanted to reward them...i guess he is going to rotate between the four of them

id rather hatcher be the odd man out

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
  #203
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
change that to t (time)... t*y4>t*y3>t*y2>t*y1 assuming that t is the same. however, the assumption that we were making is that the the time it would take for a player to go from the defensive zone to the bench is a very short time... therefore, if the team gets trapped in their own zone and t grows, then they would, from a purely probability based assumption be better off limiting the time of "t."
Dude the MIT hockey forum is down the hall...


JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
  #204
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am not overrating him at all. He is what I like to refer to as a good "supporting" player. I think he can be a good 2nd line winger if he finds some good chemistry like with Carter last year but needs to be with more talented players. I dont feel he is never going to "carry" his own line. I think he can be a good 3rd line center in this league, good two way play, pop in 20-25 goals 45-50 points and provide some good defensive play like his role with the Phamtoms.
I think he will never be good enough to be a second line player on a Cup contender. He has the tools to be a John Madden, excepting faceoffs. I'd be positioning myself in that role if I were him.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM
  #205
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I think he will never be good enough to be a second line player on a Cup contender. He has the tools to be a John Madden, excepting faceoffs. I'd be positioning myself in that role if I were him.
Lets think hypothetically as an example.

Lets say they reunite him as the LW with Carter and they show the chemistry they had last year.

Two years from now the 2nd line is Umberger Carter Giroux. Giroux is the playmaker, Carter is the goal scorer, and Umberger does some dirty work, plays decent two way hockey and pops in some goals

Projected stats:
Umberger 25 goals, 25 assits
Carter 35 goals, 40 assists
Giroux 20 goals, 50 assists

You dont think that is a good enough 2nd line on a cup contender, assuming the top line is Gagne (50 goals), a playmaking center, Ruzicka??

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
  #206
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
i understand what you are attempting to say now....i understand that rules of logic, i know risk theory, i know stats, i went to school for economics and philosophy so i'm rather versed in the concept....however, you are making a huge leap that actually violates one of the basic rules of drawing a conclusion with logic and/or statistics. given a specific situation, ie this situation, you are leaving on the environment in which your argument is based on. given the environment of the situation of last night it would not have made sense to leave the defensive zone to get a stick and get back on the ice......also, your analysis works well when breaking down a dialog to find fact or fiction but does not really hold water when you take it out of context and put it in real time when there are a zillion other factors that would have to be computed to actually have a sound argument here, ie position of other players at time t, at time t1 at time t2 etc, position of puck at same, and so on and so on in addition to tons of other factors too.
situation last night... and why it was stupid.

Calder went and covered the FAR point... if they rotate the forward with a stick to that side then Calder has a short hop to either grab a stick from a trainer. obviously you still need to pick the right moment to go for it...

probability is not a T/F statement... it's inherently NOT a boolean statement about what will happen, thus it is a relatively robust argument. all it is saying is that you are "better off" taking this option on a game-theory level, it does not suggest that they won't score... only in the grand universe of occurrences they will score less often theoretically.

of course you still play the game and there are other factors... but if you can qualify that you're overall defensive efficiency, which is really what is being discussed in this situation, is at a lesser risk by making a quick dash to the bench (especially when you're on the 1st/3rd period shift) then that is the wise choice of action.

nothing is perfect... a stick has been broken, it's a crap situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
  #207
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well we got 2 points but we played AHL team. Ruutu did play but that was his first game.Chicago scored 0 goals in their last 3 games. Whats most upsetting is that kids did not score again. Richards had so many opportunities. Esche got really lucky with rebounds.
Hatcher was not a minus player. Now that is a surprise.
If anyone can pull off being a minus when you get a shutout, it's Hatcher.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.