HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
what would you guys think about Phaneuf and what would you want to give up? Not saying I want him, not saying i don't but just out of curiosity
There's a damp Subway napkin in my sink. I would give that up.

There are a bunch of Dmen I would prefer over him, especially since Toronto would likely require an overpayment for him since they have nobody to replace him with. He's good enough to put Toronto in that position, but not good enough to warrant his cap hit.

07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

There are a bunch of Dmen I would prefer over him, especially since Toronto would likely require an overpayment for him since they have nobody to replace him with. He's good enough to put Toronto in that position, but not good enough to warrant his cap hit.
If you could equate equate standard IQ to hockey IQ, Phaneuf would be the Neanderthal of the NHL world. Do not want.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I agree.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Kermit the Prog

Quote:

"Well, mister, you get right in that kitchen and put that Subway napkin in the trash this instant!"

Kermit the Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
So it begins.

Just two more years, Bobby.
he went out to eat with giroux the other day, giroux made him pay cause it wasnt a grilled cheese

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

I actually wouldn't mind Dion Phaneuf on the Flyers. He is thrown under the bus by a lot of people and even his peers. He has a killer shot and isn't as bad as people make him out defensively. He looks like an ass though, which is probably one reason I just don't like the guy, but from a hockey stand point I take him. Now, I wouldn't try to make a trade for him since the Leafs would want a lot in return, but if the price tag isn't bad as a free agent(never know if he makes it or not) take a shot at him. He would give us 15-20 goals from a defender, which we haven't had since Mr Desjardins(15) and Mcgillis(14) had in 2000-2001.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:18 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

No to Peenuf.

Ryan in 2 years.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:19 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I wouldnt mind Phaneuf if he came here as a free agent. I wouldnt want to pay him that much but he's going to get paid big this summer

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
No to Peenuf.

Ryan in 2 years.
I don't understand this... Next year our defense will look like

Streit-Coburn
Schenn-Grossmann

Our forwards though
Top 9

Giroux
Vinny
Couts
Schenn
Hartnell
Simmonds
Voracek
Talbot
Laughton

Bottom 3
Rinaldo
Rosehill

We have a ton of forwards signed to big deals and young players coming out of ELC's. We will need help on the back end much more than we do up front. Now I am not saying I do not want Ryan in two years, but I don't know why we all have high hopes for him at this time. Defense is a more crucial need right now. By 2016 the cap might be 902 million anyway, so we can just buy any player from there on out.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I wouldnt mind Phaneuf if he came here as a free agent. I wouldnt want to pay him that much but he's going to get paid big this summer
It's tough to gauge how much he will get via free agency if he makes it there. He has that large cap hit now, which he might look for more. It probably depends on what type of year he has this year. If he puts up 16 goals and 35 assists(he was right around this pace this year), the man will make a fortune. He probably will be looking at 7 million, in which I wouldn't want him here.

Old
07-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Curufinwe

$7 million is way too much for Phaneuf. Let Toronto pay him that.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:30 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
$7 million is way too much for Phaneuf. Let Toronto pay him that.
qft!

Our D in a year will have Gus in their and well as a bottom 6 guy. Fine by me as oppose to paying Peenuffballs 7mil. I'd like to see them go after a player in the 2014 UFA market rather than him.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Yeah I'll pass on the Phaneuf front. He's not worth what you would have to give up to get him off of Toronto for and then he's not worth what you would have to turn around and pay him this summer. On top of that he's a sissy and I don't like him.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

pass on Phaneuf. the defense is expensive enough as it is.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Clown Baby

Wherever Phaneuf goes, it seems questions arise about his character. If his teams did exceptionally well in the post-season, or he was a Norris threat, you could ignore it. That's not the case, though. Pass for the cost, and risk.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Wherever Phaneuf goes, it seems questions arise about his character. If his teams did exceptionally well in the post-season, or he was a Norris threat, you could ignore it. That's not the case, though. Pass for the cost, and risk.
Him & Luke Schenn apparently didn't see eye to eye in Toronto. From all accounts I've ever heard about Luke are very positive as a person.

Old
07-20-2013, 03:32 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

What do you folks think about going after Bouwmeester if he makes it to free agency? Despite criticism about his soft play, the numbers suggest he's a number 1 d man. He's insanely durable and can skate as well as any d man his size. He can be used in any situation effectively. He'll only be 30 when he's a UFA and with his durability it's worth the longer contract. Pairing him with Schenn could help make up for J-Bo's lack of physical play.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
What do you folks think about going after Bouwmeester if he makes it to free agency? Despite criticism about his soft play, the numbers suggest he's a number 1 d man. He's insanely durable and can skate as well as any d man his size. He can be used in any situation effectively. He'll only be 30 when he's a UFA and with his durability it's worth the longer contract. Pairing him with Schenn could help make up for J-Bo's lack of physical play.
I would go for him big time. He would give us exactly what we need. Flyers of course have been very interested in him before and also I believe were interested when he was on the block this year. St Louis is reportedly interested in re-signing him though. There were reports out before though that he didn't want to come here, same deal with Suter pretty much.

Old
07-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Krishna

Wonder what Simmonds' cryptic tweet was about

Just randomly tweeted "it's official."

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:17 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Wonder what Simmonds' cryptic tweet was about

Just randomly tweeted "it's official."
maybe hes getting married, im prayin its not a trade

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
maybe hes getting married, im prayin its not a trade
He's at one of the Stewart brothers (Anthony or Chris) Wedding. He tweeted about it earlier. My guess is that's what he's talking about.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Prongo
Beer

It's always interesting to roam around HF on other boards and see what they are talking about.

Calgary has a thread up about TJ Brodie getting an offer sheet. They said anything in the 5 million range they would let him walk..... There is not once single team in the NHL that would ever throw 5 million at him. He is nowhere near that type of player, and I really don't think he ever will be.

The next one was an Oilers fan asked the Winnipeg board what it would take to get Bigg Buff. Man oh man they want Yak/Eberle+ other big time assets. Some were reasonable with Gagner(which I think his value is maybe close to) but nobody wants to trade for Buff with his issues. The guy is a whale, and what management team would want a guy who can't stay in shape on their team? Yes, I know he has produced offensively, but his weight is going to catch up to him sooner or later. Not a chance Edmonton moves one of the "big 4" for him....

Old
07-21-2013, 08:49 AM
3Fs

I believe Flyers will not do another move until Mez gets his clearance to play. Then we will see some chips fall....IMO of course

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:08 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Him & Luke Schenn apparently didn't see eye to eye in Toronto. From all accounts I've ever heard about Luke are very positive as a person.
Phaneuf has always been a ********* apparently. I had a few classes back in my undergrad years with a guy that went to HS with him and he told us a few stories about Phaneuf and his douchebaggery. Things can change though since everyone seems to be a jerk in their HS years

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:29 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Phaneuf has always been a ********* apparently. I had a few classes back in my undergrad years with a guy that went to HS with him and he told us a few stories about Phaneuf and his douchebaggery. Things can change though since everyone seems to be a jerk in their HS years
I think it's natural that these guys will be *******s when they are young, I mean, think about it. It happens in every sport. They get so much smoke blown up their arse about how awesome they are, they eventually start to believe it and act better than everyone else.