HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The problem with eller's production isn't necessarily how he plays, but how often and in what role he is employed.
Getting 60+ points without any PP time would make him one of the most productive even strength producers in the league, especially as he's very unlikely to have many soft minutes to exploit. If he is used like he was last year, even with the great linemates he had at the end of the season, 50 points would still be huge.

Old
07-19-2013, 05:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Getting 60+ points without any PP time would make him one of the most productive even strength producers in the league, especially as he's very unlikely to have many soft minutes to exploit.
Exactly, which is why I don't see him breaking 50, let alone 60.

There's also that nagging feeling we'll be watching Eller play on wing this season.

Old
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Habaddict

Quote:

There's also that nagging feeling we'll be watching Eller play on wing this season.
I'm the last of those who are content with Chuckie on the wing. Not just
this year, but if it works out best, then in the future. But last season convinced
me that Eller should play center.
So DD and Briere can drop them in camp, and so decide which one plays
center.

Old
07-19-2013, 06:53 PM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Getting 60+ points without any PP time would make him one of the most productive even strength producers in the league, especially as he's very unlikely to have many soft minutes to exploit. If he is used like he was last year, even with the great linemates he had at the end of the season, 50 points would still be huge.
50 esp and 10 ppp.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Perhaps the one way I can hate the Briere signing more than I already do is if Eller is forced to play on the wing for him.

Old
07-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Perhaps the one way I can hate the Briere signing more than I already do is if Eller is forced to play on the wing for him.
Quote:

The one thing i'm sure of.....Eller won't play wing.
He is too valuable at center to play with our small wingers in our system.
Only center who can take some of the heat off.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Eller will be one of the most interesting player to watch next year with the Habs. Will he be the Lars we saw during the second half of the season? Will he gonna get some PP time? With who will he be playing?

...or maybe he's never going to be able to being the Lars Eller he was the last few months. I hope not. He showed so many great things last year, he was our most important forward when we arrived in the playoffs. If he works hard this summer and he arrives to camp better than ever, watch out mofos.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:10 PM
HatTricK09

Eller had my vote last year to have a breakout season, I hope he can come back as good

Old
07-19-2013, 11:24 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I'm the last of those who are content with Chuckie on the wing. Not just
this year, but if it works out best, then in the future.
But last season convinced
me that Eller should play center.
So DD and Briere can drop them in camp, and so decide which one plays
center.
Get real. Chuckie will be our 1st line no 1C starting in 2014-5.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Get real. Chuckie will be our 1st line no 1C starting in 2014-5.
Doubt it. He's awful on draws and is pretty bad defensively. I can't see one year being enough to correct that.

Old
07-19-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Eller had my vote last year to have a breakout season, I hope he can come back as good
Hope the hit won't affect him too badly psychologically. ****ing Gryba. Parros needs to destroy that POS.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Doubt it. He's awful on draws and is pretty bad defensively. I can't see one year being enough to correct that.
He's not any worse then Desharnais defensively...as for faceoffs, he's not going to improve at that facet of his game by continuing to play on the wing

The best 3 centers on this team today are Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk

I'd be disappointed if Galchenyuk wasn't given a fair shot at earning that spot in training camp

Old
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
LyricalLyricist

I wonder if he works on his shot a lot. Was speaking about Eller to my brother yesterday and without even getting a chance to say it, he said same thing "takes forever for him to shoot". If he'd just practice shot releases and one timers and all the different scenarios for shots he'd be a lot more dangerous. It's not something drastic either I think.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I wonder if he works on his shot a lot. Was speaking about Eller to my brother yesterday and without even getting a chance to say it, he said same thing "takes forever for him to shoot". If he'd just practice shot releases and one timers and all the different scenarios for shots he'd be a lot more dangerous. It's not something drastic either I think.
It takes him forever to do a lot of things in the offensive zone. He loves to handle that puck But I think it's a part of his game he will improve on.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
As an 18 year old rookie you have to give him some leash........

He was actually very good defensively for a kid of his age and the faceoff problem will improve dramatically with experience and added upper body strength.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Pavel_Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He's not any worse then Desharnais defensively...as for faceoffs, he's not going to improve at that facet of his game by continuing to play on the wing

The best 3 centers on this team today are Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk

I'd be disappointed if Galchenyuk wasn't given a fair shot at earning that spot in training camp

Agreed, DD needs to leave.

Patches-plek-bourque/jagr
Briere-Eller-gionta/jagr
Prust-gally-gally
Parros-white-Moen/tarnasky

Insert jagr and remove gio and DD and all of a sudden we aren't that small. If we can add morrow and jagr on one year deals...

Patches-gally-gally
Briere-Eller-Jagr
prust-plek-Morrow
Parros-White-Moen/tarnasky

Pp1

Patches-plek-Jagr
Markov-pk

Pp2
Gally-eller-gally
Diaz-Briere

Pk1
Plek-morrow

Prust-Moen

Last edited by Pavel_Bure: 07-20-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old
07-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
It takes him forever to do a lot of things in the offensive zone. He loves to handle that puck
The only problem with Eller is his low hockey IQ. He is so talented that he can buy time by dangling and protecting the puck. The end result can sometimes be quite entertaining as he rarely turns it over but he is definitely very slow at recognizing opportunities as they develop. I can't tell you how many times I would see a play developing that he was oblivious to but he would somehow make the play work by holding on to possession long enough that the opportunity was staring him in the face.

Old
07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
NLHabsFan

Really looking forward to seeing him back on the ice during training camp. I don't believe he'll be a superstar, but I do believe he can be a first line player. Luckily for us we have him and Galchenyuk moving forward with as C's. For next season though I would continue with Gal on his wing. Great duo finishing the season and can be even better this one. Give them more minutes and offensive opportunities please.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The only problem with Eller is his low hockey IQ. He is so talented that he can buy time by dangling and protecting the puck. The end result can sometimes be quite entertaining as he rarely turns it over but he is definitely very slow at recognizing opportunities as they develop. I can't tell you how many times I would see a play developing that he was oblivious to but he would somehow make the play work by holding on to possession long enough that the opportunity was staring him in the face.
On his offensive game perhaps, but his hockey IQ defensively is pretty good. I just think it's more a technical thing than a mental thing, he has to make that extra move in order to pass or shoot. He's been doing that since he was a little kid in Denmark I bet and he had success, but now he's in the NHL and needs to adjust. He gets how to create passing lanes with his stick handling coming into the zone, but takes a bit too long to decide which play to execute.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 07-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Smoky Thompson

We'd all like to see him succeed as a 2nd line center.
But to me he looks like an elite 3rd line center, capable of shutting down top lines, manning the PK, hitting, and bringing secondary scoring.

Basically the prototypical playoff player, the type of 3rd line center that separates contenders from pretenders.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
But to me he looks like an elite 3rd line center, capable of shutting down top lines, manning the PK, hitting, and bringing secondary scoring.

Basically the prototypical playoff player, the type of 3rd line center that separates contenders from pretenders.
Unless he takes a step back, he's already an adequate 2nd line center and elite 3rd line C.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Unless he takes a step back, he's already an adequate 2nd line center and elite 3rd line C.
To be fair, Staal was an elite 3rd line C and I don't think Eller is at his level. I actually found Staal was impressive even at 18 years old.

FWIW, it's not to say it's impossible but I require a little more proof than a half season. Same with Galchenyuk, Gallagher and subban. I won't assume Subban will have 80+ points. I'm not even sure he'll have 60+ like some suggest.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post

Eller got 30 points last season.
How many third line center score 30 points last season?
None.

Just looking at cup finalists:
Campbell (13), Kelly (9), Kruger (9), Shaw (15).

He was 37th in the list of centers but a few are not real centers (Cammy, Tlusty, Seguin, etc.).
So among real centers he is probably among top-30 centers in the league.

Elite third line center
Can you give five team who have a second line center who scored 30 points?
I see TBL, Pit, Wsh, Car. Any other team?

Plus Eller is good defensively, more than the average center.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Eller got 30 points last season.
How many third line center score 30 points last season?
None.

Just looking at cup finalists:
Campbell (13), Kelly (9), Kruger (9), Shaw (15).

He was 37th in the list of centers but a few are not real centers (Cammy, Tlusty, Seguin, etc.).
So among real centers he is probably among top-30 centers in the league.

Elite third line center
Can you give five team who have a second line center who scored 30 points?
I see TBL, Pit, Wsh, Car. Any other team?

Plus Eller is good defensively, more than the average center.
This is why I dislike using this short season as a baseline.

Unless of course you think Kunitz is best LW in the game. Most goals, points and +- from a LW. Superstar? Not really.

I don't blame the person you quoted for wanting to see more than a half season of success.

That being said, if Eller continues the pace then we have a solid player on our hands.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:48 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
This is why I dislike using this short season as a baseline.

Unless of course you think Kunitz is best LW in the game. Most goals, points and +- from a LW. Superstar? Not really.

I don't blame the person you quoted for wanting to see more than a half season of success.

That being said, if Eller continues the pace then we have a solid player on our hands.
I've always believed Eller had the potential to be a first line center; since he was drafted and said it after we acquired him. Knew it would take time though. Never thought he would be a superstar, but he has all the tools to be a complete player in all zones. And I think he has been improving every year and is still not to where he can peak yet.

With that said, you are correct. He has to continue to progress (which he'll need the minutes and offensive/pp opportunities), do it over a full season, and then consistently do it. If developed right we'll have a core piece to build with, joining Galchenyuk, Subban, Price, and other top prospects.

Closed Thread