HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of new divisions/playoff format on our playoff chances going forward

Old
07-18-2013, 01:41 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnny View Post
and although I see this being a very dark year for our Sabres... I can't help but think this new format is a positive thing. We play WAY better vs our division than we do outside of it and with the new format there are a ton of division games as opposed to inner/outer conference games. This is a huge positive if we can think of any positives for us this year...
Our division is solid, though.

Yeah, you can say it is good for youth to go up against better teams to gain experience, but it could be very painful record wise.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Vegas would be a huge mistake. Anyway, I thought QC was more likely.
Seattle can easily support a team. they should have gotten one a few times in the past but got screwed over at the last minute. They should have gotten one in the mid 70s and they should have gotten one in the early 90s (one of OTT/TB).

Seattle also is a large top 15 TV market the same size as Phoenix.

The issue is where would the second teams go. It could go to houston, kc, Portland, or salt lake city in the west.

In the east it would go to Toronto or Quebec.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:55 AM
kjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Our division is solid, though.

Yeah, you can say it is good for youth to go up against better teams to gain experience, but it could be very painful record wise.
Our division is far from solid. Good yes, solid is not the right word though.... Out of the 4 divisions ours is probably ranked 3rd behind the divisions out west. The only solid teams in our division is Boston and Detroit... the other good teams are Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa and who knows what is in store for those 3 teams as none of them have shown any sort of solid consistency.... They could all be bad for all we know. My point was that we play better vs our division though. BOS, TOR, MTL, and OTT are all still in the division which is good because we play very well vs those teams as opposed to teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina.

kjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:03 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Anyone think that the 16 vs 14 teams in their respective conferences/divisions could result in the east getting more top 5 draft picks? The western playoff race will likely remain closer for a higher percentage of teams while the east will have an increased chance of teams dropping out earlier.

If the Sabres division is strong and we continue to struggle against Bolts/Panthers our chances of a top 5 pick may increase simply because more teams out west are playing for the playoffs longer into the year.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Djp

Quote:
I could see Seattle. And it's so close to Vancouver, it could be a god rivalry. The Seattle metro area is also substantially bigger than the other cities you mention (close to 4 million, while the others hover closer to 2 million).

On the other hand, Seattle couldn't even keep their NBA team, and has previously lost a baseball team. Also, the Thunderbirds are one of the lowest drawing teams in the WHL (see http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2013) despite being the biggest, or one of the biggest, cities in the league.

Living in seattle....that wasnt the case.

The league got involved and blocked the Seattle taking Sacramento but they didnt do the same thing when the owner took the team to Oklahoma city.

The baseball team was hijacked....thus a team was promised to be returned.

As for the attendance---

The seattle team ACTUALLY DOES NOT play in seattle. They instead play in a suburb in Kent at a small arena of seating capacity of about 6,000 (8,000 for a concert with floor seating). The team this year utterly sucked---yeah you will have a correlation between attendance and quality of the team. Besides hockey this arena does smaller draw concerts or kids things like disney on ice.

games during the weak dont draw as many fans as weekend games because of traffic. going from Seattle to Kent is with the rush hour traffic thus a long drive.

Having an arena in the downtown area near the staduims actually is easier to get to because you are going against the rush hour flow out of seattle.

Everett is to the north of Seattle about the same distance Kent is to the south so the teams are pulling off the same fan base. Kent is closer to the population center of the Seattle metro area.

Seattle and Portland gets feed of Vancouver games through comcast sports network NW where they pick up game feeds from Vancouver local network. Seattle gets CBC.

Seattle has an established Hockey fan base. A good number go up to see games in Vancouver.

Old
07-18-2013, 02:23 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

NHL needs 32 teams like NFL 16 teams in each conference. 8 teams make the playoffs. It is the perfect solution IMO. Quebec/Seattle could easily house a new team. No need to transfer any teams anywhere from Florida or Phoenix.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 05:53 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
NHL needs 32 teams like NFL 16 teams in each conference. 8 teams make the playoffs. It is the perfect solution IMO. Quebec/Seattle could easily house a new team. No need to transfer any teams anywhere from Florida or Phoenix.
Would Quebec be in the western conference? how would that work

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
No way, they'd want Quebec in the division with Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. I imagine they'd have to move another team to the western conference if Quebec got an expansion team. Wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo got the shaft in that scenario, but moving the Blue Jackets back would make more sense.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Watching soccer the other day they said the Portland Timbers have sold out 52 straight games. Would appear to me that Portland is ripe for another pro team.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
No way, they'd want Quebec in the division with Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. I imagine they'd have to move another team to the western conference if Quebec got an expansion team. Wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo got the shaft in that scenario, but moving the Blue Jackets back would make more sense.
C'bus moving back out west would make the most sense.

Something like this:

West Div A

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Phoenix
SJ
Vancouver
Seattle/Portland

West Div B

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg
Columbus

East Div C

Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Washington
Quebec

East Div D

Carolina
NJ
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Florida
Tampa Bay

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
Watching soccer the other day they said the Portland Timbers have sold out 52 straight games. Would appear to me that Portland is ripe for another pro team.
Seattle and Portland are both crushing it at the gate in MLS.

Seattle has even better attendance because they play at Qwest Field and can still pack in the fans.

Portland would have more competition during hockey season with the TrailBlazers there.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
joshjull

An interesting aspect to this new schedule is the increased percentage of games out of conference. Considering the backed off from a purely divisional playoff setup (though its still heavily skewed that way) that was in the initial proposal the NHLPA shot down. It makes non divisional games pretty important. It went from roughly 78% of the games in conference to roughly 66%.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:53 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
I could see Seattle. And it's so close to Vancouver, it could be a god rivalry. The Seattle metro area is also substantially bigger than the other cities you mention (close to 4 million, while the others hover closer to 2 million).

On the other hand, Seattle couldn't even keep their NBA team, and has previously lost a baseball team. Also, the Thunderbirds are one of the lowest drawing teams in the WHL (see http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...L1979&sid=2013) despite being the biggest, or one of the biggest, cities in the league.
1). The Sonics were stolen.
2). The Thunderbirds are effing terrible.
3). They play in Kent, not Seattle.
4). "Seattle" also has the Everett Silvertips who are only moderately terrible and draw slightly better.
5). Seattle also has Bellevue, Sammamish, Redmond, Kent, Renton, Bothell, Everett, Lynwood, Woodinville, and others nearby, many of which have sky high MHI.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
dkollidas

I really don't mind the new division set-ups, but couldn't they have just switched Nashville and Winnipeg and called it a day?

The Jets would be with more natural geographic rivals, as would the Panthers.

I guess it was just a matter of giving the southern teams (Tampa and Florida in particular) a division with strong names that would boost attendance. It is a business after all.

Don't hate, don't love it. But I do love us being in the same division as our past division foes as well as the Red Wings. It'll be cool to see them a lot more often.

But yes, short term adding Detroit and the other two (we may easily be past in this division IMO) hurts our playoff chances (as little as they were previously) quite a bit.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:10 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Short term, it's obviously very rough. I honestly don't think there is a long term here. I expect changes in 2 years when the league reviews it, either by teams switching divisions, teams moving, expansion (further down the line), etc.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Someone explain to me why Florida even has a team? pack them up and ship them to Seattle. That franchise is a joke, have they ever had a sold out stadium? everytime Buffalo plays them it's empty.
They've been really bad for a really long time. The Sabres would be in the same spot.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:37 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
They've been really bad for a really long time. The Sabres would be in the same spot.
Well that and you need a national presence to be a viable major sports league.

A better question is why hasn't anyone killed the wildly successful devils yet when their attendance has always been terrible.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
But the Sabres bring in fans still and don't leave the arena with about 2500 people only. Buffalo can support a team.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:09 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnny View Post
Our division is far from solid. Good yes, solid is not the right word though.... Out of the 4 divisions ours is probably ranked 3rd behind the divisions out west. The only solid teams in our division is Boston and Detroit... the other good teams are Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa and who knows what is in store for those 3 teams as none of them have shown any sort of solid consistency.... They could all be bad for all we know. My point was that we play better vs our division though. BOS, TOR, MTL, and OTT are all still in the division which is good because we play very well vs those teams as opposed to teams like Pittsburgh or Carolina.
Our division is solid

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Short term, it's obviously very rough. I honestly don't think there is a long term here. I expect changes in 2 years when the league reviews it, either by teams switching divisions, teams moving, expansion (further down the line), etc.
I expect the next change will be 2 expansion teams out West.

If that happens, maybe they consider splitting teams up into 4 team divisions.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
What would happen is a 4 team 4 division set up witha south division.

They may go with west divisions in each conference just to balance it out.

If they go with the 4 conference/4 division format then one eastern team will get kicked out....the other option would see 3 teams go to the central/Midwest and then Dallas and Nashville to the east ...ornashville to the east and return Detroit and Columbus to the central.

TB, Florida, Nashville and either Carolina or Dallas could form a south