HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 12:10 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Yikes, I'm at my brothers acreage north and east of rocky mountain house, one hell of thunder and lightning storm going on here. Any remaing sky has been blotted out by black as black clouds.
Red Deer got rocked tonight as well; Ping-Pong Size Hail and Flooding.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Red Deer got rocked tonight as well; Ping-Pong Size Hail and Flooding.
Really Hope my house is ok in Calgary for business till Tuesday.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:25 AM
SLURVE

Some people blame the extreme weather changes on geoengineering gone not so well. The main purpose of it is to reduce global warming by spraying the atmosphere with nanoparticles of Aluminum and other elements. Some of you might have seen the skies with long white clouds called chemtrails (not contrails made by plane exhaust) criss-crossing each other and remaining for hours without dissipating. Hmmm, I wonder...

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalMarch...Geoengineering

on Aug 8, 2013

Old
07-21-2013, 03:35 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Some people blame the extreme weather changes on geoengineering gone not so well. The main purpose of it is to reduce global warming by spraying the atmosphere with nanoparticles of Aluminum and other elements. Some of you might have seen the skies with long white clouds called chemtrails (not contrails made by plane exhaust) criss-crossing each other and remaining for hours without dissipating. Hmmm, I wonder...

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalMarch...Geoengineering

on Aug 8, 2013

http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/opinion/209089281.html

'The same trend has been observed in Saskatchewan and Alberta where the number of intense tornados per year has generally dropped since 1920.'

According to this article,the Province of Alberta, is actually getting less Tornadoes, now,compared to years ago.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:49 AM
oilersfan11

Weather extremes in Alberta: 1880 to
1960*
Keith D. Hage
Meteorology Division, Department of Geography
University of Alberta

http://www.cmos.ca/CB/cb190101.pdf

After reading this research,you may think twice about there being more Weather extremes .

Old
07-21-2013, 11:31 AM
SLURVE

Quote:
Weather extremes in Alberta: 1880 to
1960*
Keith D. Hage
Meteorology Division, Department of Geography
University of Alberta

http://www.cmos.ca/CB/cb190101.pdf

After reading this research,you may think twice about there being more Weather extremes .
This article was written in 1985 about weather pattern from 1880-1960. It is too old an article to be a useful for our current world situation.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Al...668/story.html

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/10...e-from-alberta

http://news.ualberta.ca/newsarticles...der-to-control

Last edited by SLURVE: 07-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old
07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
SLURVE

Quote:
http://www.nanaimobulletin.com/opinion/209089281.html

'The same trend has been observed in Saskatchewan and Alberta where the number of intense tornados per year has generally dropped since 1920.'

According to this article,the Province of Alberta, is actually getting less Tornadoes, now,compared to years ago.
Using tornadoes as one of the main indicator for severe weather pattern is not accurate. From the article, Climate Progress -http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/05/21/2040221/tornadoes-extreme-weather-and-climate-change-revisited/

"1.When discussing extreme weather and climate, tornadoes should not be conflated with the other extreme weather events for which the connection is considerably more straightforward and better documented, including deluges, droughts, and heat waves.

2.Just because the tornado-warming link is more tenuous doesn’t mean that the subject of global warming should be avoided entirely when talking about tornadoes."

Old
07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
This article was written in 1985 about weather pattern from 1880-1960. It is too old an article to be a useful for our current world situation.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Al...668/story.html

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/10...e-from-alberta

http://news.ualberta.ca/newsarticles...der-to-control

There is a major difference though in tornado frequency if you check it out between now and before.

1920-1930:

Record year for 1927 when there was 40 Tornadoes in Alberta.Now we're only getting as much as Five Tornadoes on average per year in Alberta.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:21 PM
oilersfan11

Isn't it also true that Scientists predicted that an Ice Age was coming during the 1970's

Now their saying that Global Warming is the new threat.

IMO,it's all a farce.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:37 PM
oilersfan11

Old
07-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Enlighten

Quote:
It's the same thing global warming will cause an ice age. As the polar caps melt and send the cold arctic water into the oceans the temperature of the oceans drop. If the Atlantic stream drops by 2 or 3 degrees it can significantly impact the weather. Just because its called global warming doesn't mean we will necessarily see warmer weather.

IMO the weather that has been happening in AB this year is a result of the last 40 years of tree removal from the north. Have you ever been to north of Mariana lakes?It is virtually a desert up there. By creating a artificial desert in a historically colder area it has had serious effects on the weather patterns of said area. In 2001 I saw it rain snow hail and sleet in a matter of 15 min in the middle of February. 45 minutes north of Ft Mcmurray. Don't tell me climate change isn't a real thing.

Last edited by Enlighten: 07-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 05:49 PM
oilersfan11

City of Calgary
4:45 PM MDT Monday 22 July 2013
Tornado watch for
City of Calgary upgraded from Severe thunderstorm watch

Conditions are favourable for strong rotating storms which may produce tornadoes.

Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms with the potential to produce tornadoes.

These severe thunderstorms will also have the potential to produce very large hail..Flooding rain..Deadly lightning and powerful winds. Use this time to secure outdoor property and to ensure family members and co-workers are prepared to take action should the severe weather approach.

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely for severe thunderstorm development and possible tornado warnings. Please continue to monitor your local media or weatheradio for further updates.

Should severe weather approach or if you feel threatened do not wait for warnings to take action..Take shelter immediately.

Should you spot a funnel cloud or tornado...And only if it is safe to do so...You can call 1-800-239-0484 to report your sighting. Please note this phone number is for reporting severe weather only

City of Calgary
4:48 PM MDT Monday 22 July 2013
Severe thunderstorm warning for
City of Calgary continued

At 4:45 PM MDT meteorologists are tracking a severe thunderstorm 40 kilometres northwest of Calgary. This thunderstorm is moving to the southeast at 30 KM/H and has the potential to produce large hail, strong wind gusts and heavy rainfall. Doppler radar data indicate that this storm is rotating and has some potential to produce a tornado

Last edited by oilersfan11: 07-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 06:18 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I saw this one as well...

Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
4:45 PM MDT Monday 22 July 2013
Tornado watch for
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre upgraded from Severe thunderstorm watch

Conditions are favourable for strong rotating storms which may produce tornadoes.

Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms with the potential to produce tornadoes.

These severe thunderstorms will also have the potential to produce very large hail..Flooding rain..Deadly lightning and powerful winds. Use this time to secure outdoor property and to ensure family members and co-workers are prepared to take action should the severe weather approach.

Environment Canada continues to monitor the situation closely for severe thunderstorm development and possible tornado warnings. Please continue to monitor your local media or weatheradio for further updates.

Should severe weather approach or if you feel threatened do not wait for warnings to take action..Take shelter immediately.

Should you spot a funnel cloud or tornado...And only if it is safe to do so...You can call 1-800-239-0484 to report your sighting. Please note this phone number is for reporting severe weather only.

Thunderstorms are developing over Western Alberta. Some of these thunderstorms are expected to become severe with the main severe weather threat being large hail and strong winds. The watch area may be expanded eastward later in the day depending on how the thunderstorms evolve.

Hope everyone stays safe down there and prepares for the worst.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Anyone in South Edmonton get awoken by the storm this morning? Heavy downpour as well as some pretty loud thunder around 6 am...

Old
07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Anyone in South Edmonton get awoken by the storm this morning? Heavy downpour as well as some pretty loud thunder around 6 am...
Yes, that was insane... shook the whole house.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Started much earlier than that actually. But man there was some close hits. I was awake for a couple hours listening to the heavens tap dancing on Edmonton

Old
07-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Beerfish

Just got pounded by hail and rain here in rocky mtn house this am. Theres like 2 inched of hail on the ground. I'm supposed to be on 'vacation' at my brothers acreage but here i am at 6:45 am trying to clean up flooding in his basement. (I'm going to kick his ass when he comes back for not having a wet dray shop vac. )

Old
07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
MikeModano9

Quote:
Just got pounded by hail and rain here in rocky mtn house this am. Theres like 2 inched of hail on the ground. I'm supposed to be on 'vacation' at my brothers acreage but here i am at 6:45 am trying to clean up flooding in his basement. (I'm going to kick his ass when he comes back for not having a wet dray shop vac. )
I was fishing at Black Stone last week, sounds like I lucked with the weather out there!

Old
07-24-2013, 11:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
It's funny how many people buy one after having to clean up a basement without one.

Home Depot has ones that go on for 50 bucks, might not be the best but it's better than nothing.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
oilersfan11

M.D. of Foothills near Okotoks and De Winton
4:56 PM MDT Wednesday 24 July 2013
Tornado warning for
M.D. of Foothills near Okotoks and De Winton upgraded from Severe thunderstorm warning

At 4:55 PM MDT, meteorologists are tracking a dangerous thunderstorm that is producing a tornado.

A tornado has been reported near the Okotoks airport. This thunderstorm is moving to the southeast at 20 km/h

Old
08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
oilersfan11

Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield
5:01 PM MDT Sunday 11 August 2013
Tornado watch for
Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield upgraded from Severe thunderstorm watch

Persons in or near this area should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Watch for updated statements.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through your local radio and television stations or Weatheradio

Old
08-11-2013, 06:11 PM
oilersfan11

Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield
5:01 PM MDT Sunday 11 August 2013
Tornado watch for
Leduc - Camrose - Wetaskiwin - Tofield upgraded from Severe thunderstorm watch

Should you spot a funnel cloud or tornado...And only if it is safe to do so...You can call 1-800-239-0484 to report your sighting. Please note this phone number is for reporting severe weather only.

A warm and humid air mass has created the potential for severe thunderstorms in Central Alberta this afternoon and this evening. Thunderstorms are developing along the higher terrain in west Central Alberta and near a low pressure center to the east of the capital. The main threats with these storms will be heavy rain, large hail and strong wind gusts. Thunderstorms developing east and southeast of Edmonton towards the Saskatchewan border could have the potential to produce a tornado

Old
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
oilersfan11

Severe thunderstorm watch for
Spruce Grove - Morinville - Mayerthorpe - Evansburg issued

Severe thunderstorms are possible this evening.

Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements. If threatening weather approaches take immediate safety precautions.

If you would like to report severe weather, you can call 1-800-239-0484. Please note, this phone number is only for reporting severe weather.

A warm and humid air mass has created the potential for severe thunderstorms in Central Alberta this evening. Thunderstorms are developing along the higher terrain in west Central Alberta and near a low pressure center to the east of the capital. The main threats with these storms will be heavy rain, large hail and strong wind gusts. Thunderstorms developing east and southeast of Edmonton towards the Saskatchewan border have the potential to produce a tornado

Old
08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Thanks for the weather updates Oilerfan11!

I don't agree with you for.......anything really....but I do appreciate these updates.

Old
08-11-2013, 07:15 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Thanks for the weather updates Oilerfan11!

I don't agree with you for.......anything really....but I do appreciate these updates.

If you're going to have to throw that in my face,maybe then,I will just have to stop posting updates on what's occurring with the Weather.

Closed Thread