HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
The name is stupid.

On a brighter note. I'll be going to the game in Anaheim and Phoenix

Old
07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yup, they could have just kept our division as the Atlantic and named the other division as the Eastern Division. That's three other alternatives that are better than what we have.

Florida & Tampa Bay really F'd this up.
The outrage over the "Eastern Division" would be even worse than the outrage over the Met Division.

"OMG! How can they have the same name for the division AND the conference?!"
"Best team in the East?! WTF does that mean now?"
"Leave it to the NHL to not be able to come up with something new or original!"
"Bettman's just making the game confusing for new fans now!"

And there would be much more valid criticism over an Eastern Division. No longer would you be able to say, "The Flyers have just won the East" without having to clarify which East you're referring to. I'd say that's more of an actual problem than anything the Met has introduced.

I don't like the fact that the history of the Atlantic division is now a bit cheapened, but I really think this was the most logical option if you're not going with "legend" names. Metropolitan fits our division better than it does the other one, and "Atlantic" applies for the other division in the same way "Pacific" applies for Phoenix, Calgary, and Edmonton. The teams in the East are so geographically clustered that any geographical name is going to have some sort of incongruous overlap.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:31 AM
The Palm Isle

How about

Patrick
Adams
Norris
Smythe

?

All these geographers the NHL is trying to satisfy could probably figure things out without the help of regional names. "Let's see, Philadelphia, New York, New York, New Jersey... I sense a pattern..."

Old
07-20-2013, 10:25 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The outrage over the "Eastern Division" would be even worse than the outrage over the Met Division.

And there would be much more valid criticism over an Eastern Division. No longer would you be able to say, "The Flyers have just won the East" without having to clarify which East you're referring to. I'd say that's more of an actual problem than anything the Met has introduced.

I don't like the fact that the history of the Atlantic division is now a bit cheapened, but I really think this was the most logical option if you're not going with "legend" names. Metropolitan fits our division better than it does the other one, and "Atlantic" applies for the other division in the same way "Pacific" applies for Phoenix, Calgary, and Edmonton. The teams in the East are so geographically clustered that any geographical name is going to have some sort of incongruous overlap.
Personally I would have went with the old Patrick, Adams, Norris, & Smythe Divisions names.

Old
07-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Florida & Tampa Bay really F'd this up.
They should be in the Atlantic with the NY/NJ teams, Philly, Washington and Carolina.

Pittsburgh and Columbus should be in the Northeast.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

So my girlfriend and I are moving to Flemington, NJ and she's totally distraught because it appears that Comcast doesn't get CSN Philly there (zip 08822). It's so weird because there are definitely a good amount of Philly sports fans there, and they get some Philly stations, yet it appears to be considered in the NY sports market and can't get the Flyers? Seems weird that Comcast wouldn't have their sports channel available there

Old
07-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Curufinwe

That sucks. Moving to Wilmington from New Zealand 10 years ago, one of the things I was most excited about was being able to see all of the Flyers games on TV.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Mjoedgaard
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
So my girlfriend and I are moving to Flemington, NJ and she's totally distraught because it appears that Comcast doesn't get CSN Philly there (zip 08822). It's so weird because there are definitely a good amount of Philly sports fans there, and they get some Philly stations, yet it appears to be considered in the NY sports market and can't get the Flyers? Seems weird that Comcast wouldn't have their sports channel available there
You cant get NHL gamecenter (or what ever it is called)?

Old
07-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjoedgaard View Post
You cant get NHL gamecenter (or what ever it is called)?
We can but it's our first place so trying to save some money and she's a CPA so she misses a lot of games from February on.. Guess I was hoping for a miracle with this post lol, just would think Comcast would have CSN as at least an add-on in that area since its their own channel and there has to be good enough demand.. I know right down the road in Ewing, NJ we'd get both CSN and MSG at college

Old
07-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Mjoedgaard
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
We can but it's our first place so trying to save some money and she's a CPA so she misses a lot of games from February on.. Guess I was hoping for a miracle with this post lol, just would think Comcast would have CSN as at least an add-on in that area since its their own channel and there has to be good enough demand.. I know right down the road in Ewing, NJ we'd get both CSN and MSG at college
Isnt Gamecenter on a per month basis? So you could stop the sub?

Old
07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Idk, half their team is NYR castoffs that used to always kill us. Anisimov, Dubinsky Gaborik. Then theres Umberger, Horton, J. Johnson, Wisniewski, and Tyutin. They should have a pretty good squad.
They'll outwork any other team on a given night, it's just a matter of whether or not they'll score any goals that night...

Old
07-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Kevin Danko
Cheeseburger Picnic

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
That sucks. Moving to Wilmington from New Zealand 10 years ago, one of the things I was most excited about was being able to see all of the Flyers games on TV.

Another person from Wilmington? The first other i can remember in my years posting here

Old
07-22-2013, 01:43 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
They'll outwork any other team on a given night, it's just a matter of whether or not they'll score any goals that night...
I agree with you 100 pct, these are the guys that showed up to play and made the Rangers such a ***** to play against. They might not have all world talent but they play hard. The team people aren't talking about enough is Carolina though. The Staal Bros. Skinner, Semin, and Ward. Just what we need in the division another 2 goalies (Bob, Cam) that can just stand on their head and steal games. Carolina has some offense, mind you I don't think they will dominate and I don't think they make the playoff's, which is a shame, their fans deserve another good run, but they have the ability to play hard and steal games. Columbus and NYI same thing. I honestly think The Rags have a really hard time making the playoffs this year. Can see the division working out as;

PHI
PIT
WAS
CBJ
NYR
CAR
NYI
NJD

I don't think the Islanders realize how much they lost with Streit walking. And I don't think Pit dominates with Fluery/Vokoun in net. Washington does about the same they do every year and rides a hot Ovechkin to a 1st round playoff loss. I think Lumbus could make a run on Bob's back and squeak in.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I agree with you 100 pct, these are the guys that showed up to play and made the Rangers such a ***** to play against. They might not have all world talent but they play hard. The team people aren't talking about enough is Carolina though. The Staal Bros. Skinner, Semin, and Ward. Just what we need in the division another 2 goalies (Bob, Cam) that can just stand on their head and steal games. Carolina has some offense, mind you I don't think they will dominate and I don't think they make the playoff's, which is a shame, their fans deserve another good run, but they have the ability to play hard and steal games. Columbus and NYI same thing. I honestly think The Rags have a really hard time making the playoffs this year. Can see the division working out as;

PHI
PIT
WAS
CBJ
NYR
CAR
NYI
NJD

I don't think the Islanders realize how much they lost with Streit walking. And I don't think Pit dominates with Fluery/Vokoun in net. Washington does about the same they do every year and rides a hot Ovechkin to a 1st round playoff loss. I think Lumbus could make a run on Bob's back and squeak in.
I can see it shaking out similar to this. The division is really up for grabs at this point, as no one really stands out as a clear cut favorite. PIT with a healthy team is about as dangerous as anyone in the league (even with Fleury in net). The Devils seem to always rebound when everyone counts them out, so I'm banking on them making the playoffs just to give a big "**** you" to the rest of the league.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

It's just weird that only two teams in the "Atlantic" Division are actually on the Atlantic Ocean, while 6 teams in the Metro Division are within 100 miles of it. Honestly, I have no problem with the Metro Division, and the naming options were crap to begin with, so the NHL didn't have much to work with. They did have other options, though, and those might have made some sense. First, since the only two teams in our division that aren't on the Eastern Seaboard are Columbus and Pittsburgh, we could have been the Seaboard Division, which, like the other divisions, has an actual geographic marker in the name.

Second, and perhaps better, scrap "Eastern Conference" and "Western Conference." That frees up those names. Go back to Campbell and Wales Conference, and go with Western Division, Midwest Division, Eastern Division, and Mideast Division.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Holy crap I just saw what the rest of the league's division's were named.

What a terrible job by the NHL. I thought the rest of the league had similar names to "Metropolitan" and not basically the same as the old ones. I've been on vacation all week and didn't really hear anything other than the fact that ours was the Metroplitan division. Ugh.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Holy crap I just saw what the rest of the league's division's were named.

What a terrible job by the NHL. I thought the rest of the league had similar names to "Metropolitan" and not basically the same as the old ones. I've been on vacation all week and didn't really hear anything other than the fact that ours was the Metroplitan division. Ugh.
It really makes it so much worse.

07-22-2013, 11:38 AM
flyershockey

Is anyone still really pissed about the realignment and more specifically, the 14/16 split? I wouldn't hate it as much if there was a plan to add two expansion teams within the next year or two in the west to balance it out, but as far as I've read, there isn't anything close to set in stone. So how long are teams in the East going to keep getting boned by the lack on balance? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

Old
07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It really makes it so much worse.
Yeah, it's pretty unbelievable. Almost as bad as the Big Ten's conference names. Is there any indication as to why they went with this format rather than going with a Gretzky, Orr, Lemiuex, Howe type of set up? Or what would have been cool was to have one guy from each major area of the world. One Canadian, one American, one Russian/Eastearn European, and one European. Gretzky from Canada. Maybe Brian Leetch from USA (or Joey Mullen if you want an older guy). Fedorov or Mogilny maybe from Eastern Europe. Kurri from Europe? Something like that. Would be kind of cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Is anyone still really pissed about the realignment and more specifically, the 14/16 split? I wouldn't hate it as much if there was a plan to add two expansion teams within the next year or two in the west to balance it out, but as far as I've read, there isn't anything close to set in stone. So how long are teams in the East going to keep getting boned by the lack on balance? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?
I think their desire to set it up like that made it so there could be expansion in the future. IDK though. I am all for expansion. I know some people don't like it, but I think it would good (provided the teams are in good markets like Seattle or Canada).

Old
07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Hiesenberg

Until they add 2 more teams to go into the West

Old
07-22-2013, 11:50 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Adding teams in Seattle and Portland would be pretty awesome based upon what I've read online. Are they traditionally "hockey" cities?

Old
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

I think their desire to set it up like that made it so there could be expansion in the future. IDK though. I am all for expansion. I know some people don't like it, but I think it would good (provided the teams are in good markets like Seattle or Canada).
Yeah, but when? Look how long it's taken to get everything squared away in Phoenix, and that was only about keeping a team in their city versus relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Adding teams in Seattle and Portland would be pretty awesome based upon what I've read online. Are they traditionally "hockey" cities?
I think they're more sports starved markets rather than good spots for hockey. I'm not saying it won't work, but I would worry about long term sustainability after the shine from the new toy wears off.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The Devils projected lineup for next year is incredibly old. They have four guys that are 25 or younger.

They are in for some rough years, I think.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, but when? Look how long it's taken to get everything squared away in Phoenix, and that was only about keeping a team in their city versus relocation.
I think it is easier to get a new team than it is to save a team with crazy ownership issues. That's just what I think though, not really based on anything. Haha.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

The Ducks are going back to being Mighty for at least one game this year. Excited to see those jerseys again. It's not for the Outdoor Series either, at least not solely.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Closed Thread