HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

vCash: 500
Hey guys,

Was thinking of buying a new ice skate. My brother just bought the Bauer Vapor X7.0 Skates for $300.00. I was thinking of following suit. Can you guys give any input on these skates?

07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
AIREAYE

They're a pro level skate similar to the old X:60. Great deal if and only if they fit you well.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
They're a pro level skate similar to the old X:60. Great deal if and only if they fit you well.
Is the a difference between the vapor X7.0 skates and the vapor X70 skates? Or do one of those not even exist?

Old
07-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
have you taken a puck of them yet? i had the same issue as you and found nexus' fit my feet perfectly, and am picking up a pair soon.. im just concerned about protection
I do not have a basis for comparison, but the Nexus 600's do not feel like they give very much protection relative to other skates. This is only my second season and even playing against other second season players (with generally weak shot) and shots in the side of the boot hurt almost as much as those above the boot in areas without padding.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
I do not have a basis for comparison, but the Nexus 600's do not feel like they give very much protection relative to other skates. This is only my second season and even playing against other second season players (with generally weak shot) and shots in the side of the boot hurt almost as much as those above the boot in areas without padding.
Skates aren't necessarily designed with protection being a key attribute. If you want more protection, buy Skate Fenders/shot blockers. Buy the skates for the fit and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Is the a difference between the vapor X7.0 skates and the vapor X70 skates? Or do one of those not even exist?
The X70 is a mid range model in the current Vapor line.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Skates aren't necessarily designed with protection being a key attribute. If you want more protection, buy Skate Fenders/shot blockers. Buy the skates for the fit and performance.
Understand and agreed, but do some boot designs tend to provide a higher degree of protection? Some of the skates I tried on when I bought my skates seemed considerably stiffer, which I think would provide greater protection.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:

The X70 is a mid range model in the current Vapor line.
Thanks again for the info.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:50 PM
AIREAYE

The higher up in the line you go, the stiffer and supposedly more protective the boot will be.

Old
07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I use vapor skates for roller and supremes for ice. I feel the supreme line to have taken much harder shots and produced better results with protection.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:48 PM
AIREAYE

Not the case really. I'm thinking that you take more ice pucks in your ice skates and more lighter roller pucks in your roller skates...

There's no protection difference between those lines, though you could argue that since the Nexus line is softer, it might be slightly less protective.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:45 PM
nullterm

Took a puck off the foot in my Nexus 600 today. Definitely felt it, but the impact was no problem. The boot definitely softened the impact.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM
mistrhanky

So, I picked up some Reebok 12k skates in size 13... not easy to find anything in size 13. They seem to fit ok... one foot is nearly a size bigger than the other so the smaller foot is a little more loose near the top. I had them baked yesterday and seem to be pretty snug though. On of of the feet, I do feel like it is going to rub the big tough against the rough edges on the inside toe box. How to people pad that area to prevent blistering? Are there any good tricks for just protecting one small section of the foot like that. If it was instep or something I would just wrap it with tape, but up near the toe/toe joint, I don't know if that will work.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Bought Bauer Vapor X40 skates for 100 bucks today. Was that a good buy?

Old
07-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Corpse

Aireaye,

I was hoping you could help me out.

My son is 8 years old and were in the market for his 3rd pair of skates in 6 months.

He is a above average to elite skater for his age group. He's worn Bauer Vapour X6.0 and CCM in the past in a youth. His last pair was a quick buy due to his growing and he got a pair of Bauer Flexlite 2.0. His skating drastically improved in the Flexlites which I believe may have had something to do with the boot height. He seemed to jump right in to them and had no support issues and we didn't have to get any shimming done to them.

With the Flexlites going off the market would it fair to say the Nexus is the replacement to the Flexlite?

He recently had a pair of 3.5 EE Nexus 400's on in the store and he said he liked them. When comparing the Nexus line, where would the nexus 400 rank compared to other skates, in partuclar the Flexlite 2.0? Also compared to the qaulity of the 400 to the 800 given the price difference which skate would you recommend. Obviously the 800 is a better version but given my son just turned 8 and he is already 4ft 9 and 70lbs I'm pretty sure my wife will slit my throat in my sleep if I drop $380 on a pair of skates he may outgrow before Christmas. He wears a size 5.5 shoe and says the 3.5 fits nice, will it affect him to put him in size 4, although I'd obviously like to save buying a new pair in a couple months I also don't want to hinder him.

You seem to really know your stuff in here so I guess I'm just looking for a little more guideance than what the kid at the local sport store can offer on his summer job. We live in a small town in Northern BC so getting him some skates isn't as easy as going in to as pro shop and being able to trust there opinion.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:06 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Bought Bauer Vapor X40 skates for 100 bucks today. Was that a good buy?
Are they brand new? If so, that's a good deal.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:08 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Hey guys,

Was thinking of buying a new ice skate. My brother just bought the Bauer Vapor X7.0 Skates for $300.00. I was thinking of following suit. Can you guys give any input on these skates?
I have the Vapor X7.0 LE skates and I love them. I paid around $650, though. I bought them when they were released.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
I have the Vapor X7.0 LE skates and I love them. I paid around $650, though. I bought them when they were released.
Just bought them today. Got them baked and sharpened. 300 bucks. I'll post some pictures later.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:58 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse View Post
Aireaye,

My son is 8 years old and were in the market for his 3rd pair of skates in 6 months.

He is a above average to elite skater for his age group. He's worn Bauer Vapour X6.0 and CCM in the past in a youth. His last pair was a quick buy due to his growing and he got a pair of Bauer Flexlite 2.0. His skating drastically improved in the Flexlites which I believe may have had something to do with the boot height. He seemed to jump right in to them and had no support issues and we didn't have to get any shimming done to them.

With the Flexlites going off the market would it fair to say the Nexus is the replacement to the Flexlite?

He recently had a pair of 3.5 EE Nexus 400's on in the store and he said he liked them. When comparing the Nexus line, where would the nexus 400 rank compared to other skates, in partuclar the Flexlite 2.0? Also compared to the qaulity of the 400 to the 800 given the price difference which skate would you recommend. Obviously the 800 is a better version but given my son just turned 8 and he is already 4ft 9 and 70lbs I'm pretty sure my wife will slit my throat in my sleep if I drop $380 on a pair of skates he may outgrow before Christmas. He wears a size 5.5 shoe and says the 3.5 fits nice, will it affect him to put him in size 4, although I'd obviously like to save buying a new pair in a couple months I also don't want to hinder him.

You seem to really know your stuff in here so I guess I'm just looking for a little more guideance than what the kid at the local sport store can offer on his summer job. We live in a small town in Northern BC so getting him some skates isn't as easy as going in to as pro shop and being able to trust there opinion.

I'll come right out and say that I cannot (nor can anyone else) fit your son properly over the internet. My best advice for people in your situation is to always make a trip to the nearest credible retailer to get properly fitted. Maybe a summer roadtrip intra-province? I'd like to visit the Okanagan Valley sometime myself haha.

I can however, offer some pointers on what to look out for.

Nexus definitely has heritage in Flexlite, but with its own unique fit characteristics. You are correct that there is a good jump form Nexus 400 to 800, especially in terms of stiffness (better materials) and thus, performance. Check out the Nexus 600 that sits in between the two.

Regardless of brand though, you should have him fitted in whatever fits him the best. See if you can try on some different brands as well. This is where going to a good store is imperative if you don't trust your local.

It also sounds like you are getting him skates that fit him for the moment, while not accounting for growing room? Fitting kids is tricky in that you want some room to grow while not having it too large. In my store, we have a little stick with a diameter of one full skate size that we use to gauge the right sizing for growing feet. This is again where a good store comes in. You should be able to get a good year out of a pair of new skates, barring any huge growth spurts.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:14 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Just bought them today. Got them baked and sharpened. 300 bucks. I'll post some pictures later.
$300 is a sweet deal

Old
07-23-2013, 09:15 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse View Post
Aireaye,

Whereabouts?

Old
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
God
Free Citizen

Got the CCM U+CLs over the weekend. Fits me so much better than my old skates. Can't wait to try them out tonight!

Old
07-24-2013, 06:02 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Hey guys,

Fantastic skate, highly recommend it. Recently picked them up for 300 myself, haven't looked back since.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
blackat
Rookie User

Total noob question, bare with me:

I bought my Bauer Impact 100s probably....almost ten years ago. Luckily the guy who fit my skates for me suggested to get a bigger size, so 12 year old me could grow into them. I'm 22 now, and they still fit me fine (I guess he left a LOT of room for me to grow, haha), but I'm aware that skate technology has probably come a long way since 2003. I love my skates to death, but I've always found that they don't quite lock my ankle in correctly, and I think I need new laces because I'm forever having to tighten them. Is it worth just going out and buying a new pair? I'll probably stick with Bauer, near the bottom of the range.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Fantastic skate, highly recommend it. Recently picked them up for 300 myself, haven't looked back since.
Thanks for the input. Bought them last night, $300 as well. Can't wait to try them out.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:25 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackat View Post
Total noob question, bare with me:

I bought my Bauer Impact 100s probably....almost ten years ago. Luckily the guy who fit my skates for me suggested to get a bigger size, so 12 year old me could grow into them. I'm 22 now, and they still fit me fine (I guess he left a LOT of room for me to grow, haha), but I'm aware that skate technology has probably come a long way since 2003. I love my skates to death, but I've always found that they don't quite lock my ankle in correctly, and I think I need new laces because I'm forever having to tighten them. Is it worth just going out and buying a new pair? I'll probably stick with Bauer, near the bottom of the range.
Do you know if your skates are a D or EE width? D is narrow/regular and EE is wider. Too big around your ankle or heel?

Closed Thread