HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On Drafting Seth Jones

Old
07-18-2013, 08:48 PM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Very true but Jones also got embarassed by Max Domi and Mack and Drou in the MEM cup so this talk of second pairing 40 points is a tad far fetched.
And they were probably a little embarassed when a gold medal was placed around his neck and not theirs when his team won the World Juniors. Could have been, I really don't know for sure.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Legionnaire11

I think he'll be fine for the #4 spot, but 40 points... not happening. 15 is more realistic for the first season. He'll probably be shuffled between #4 and #7 all season, we know that Trotz has a short leash with the rookies down the stretch and even Suter and Wilson had to watch the playoffs from the stands.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 10:31 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
And they were probably a little embarassed when a gold medal was placed around his neck and not theirs when his team won the World Juniors. Could have been, I really don't know for sure.
Canada is always embarassed when we do not win gold at the JR tourney no two ways about it. That comes from winning it as many times as we have. Domi didn't play in the JR tourney mind you.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think he'll be fine for the #4 spot, but 40 points... not happening. 15 is more realistic for the first season. He'll probably be shuffled between #4 and #7 all season, we know that Trotz has a short leash with the rookies down the stretch and even Suter and Wilson had to watch the playoffs from the stands.

I could see Jones score those 40 points, but defensively I think he needs to play sheltered minutes. When was the last time an 18 year old defensman came and dominated in the NHL? I know Jones is an exception of exception but if you compare him to all time great defensemen how did they fair the season after their draft?

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Hariken

He looked like a pylon during the Memorial Cup...im a little worried about his coming season...

Hariken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsylt View Post
He looked like a pylon during the Memorial Cup...im a little worried about his coming season...
Maybe why he dropped to four. People are expecting way to much right away. Lots of high drafted defensemen that get thrown in right away end up sucking due to confidence killed. Poile should sign a top four guy to one year deal and send Seth back down for a year of conditioning, why rush him? We aren't a playoff team anyways with this offense, may as well give the kid some time.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Maybe why he dropped to four. People are expecting way to much right away. Lots of high drafted defensemen that get thrown in right away end up sucking due to confidence killed. Poile should sign a top four guy to one year deal and send Seth back down for a year of conditioning, why rush him? We aren't a playoff team anyways with this offense, may as well give the kid some time.
Tom Gilbert would've been a great option. Too bad we don't have cap space.

I would much rather have

Josi Weber
Gilbert Klein
Bartley Jones

Than

Josi Weber
Jones Klein
Bartley Ellis

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:07 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsylt View Post
Pylon implies a defenseman who is a slow and less than agile skater. Seth Jones is anything but a pylon.

Also one tournament doesn't mean anything. He looked like the best player in the world in his age group at the World Juniors.

predfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 01:41 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
He dropped to 4 because of the 3 forwards not because of anything he did. The preds would have kept Hal Gill if they didn't think Jones was going to be in the NHL next season. He can't go to the AHL because of his age and another year in juniors wouldn't do him any good at all. You don't trust Poile and Trotz when it comes to developing defenseman? That is the one thing they are best at. It isn't like they are going to have him on the 1st pair. I doubt he even starts on the 2nd pair right away.

INDhockeyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Hagged

I was one of the posters who touted how good of a player Barkov would be for the Preds. Now that Barkov went to Panthers, I have been on their board to make them know a bit more about Barkov and how he compares to the all time great nordic players.

So, now that Jones is with Nashville, I must say, that Barkov vs. Jones comparison is apples vs. oranges. There isn't really a way of measuring defensemen vs forwards and their values are even more vague. Jones is as sure of a NHL defenseman, as a prospect really can be. The offensive game should be on an adequate level already, and with right way of sheltered minutes and mostly offensive zone starts Jones could be an impact player already next season.

Even if Jones wouldn't be impact player next season, it is highly likely that in coming years Jones' value as a player will exceed that of Barkov. You don't see Webers and Lidstroms of the league traded that often, the only way of losing them is through FA.

I think Nashville fans should take Jones falling as a "draft steal" since that's exactly what it is. Avalanche and Panthers wanted franchise centers and so a franchise defenseman dropped to 4th where he wasn't supposed to be available. Now that is as much of a first round steal as one could hope for even when it didn't match the team needs. Always pick the BPA, and in this case you just might win yourself the best player of the draft despite not winning the draft lottery.

Just look at another defensman dropped in his draft, Cam Fowler. point per game, +30 in OHL then after his draft right out of the gate 40 points with a -25. And a lot of the Ducks fans say that his horrid +/- was more due to his defensive partners lapses, so he might have been quite good already. But his offensive production dropping with his improving defensive game should at least show some adjusting to the NHL game. So I think Fowler isn't a 40 point player, it was more of a thing of offensive minded junior coming to NHL.

The same way I could see Jones hitting 40 points right out of the gate, but in my mind his defensive game can't be yet ready he is an 18 year old coming out of junior. And defensemen have to learn to play in the NHL by playing in the NHL. That's why there aren't too much Norris trophys won by 18 year olds. Erik Karlsson is the closest and he was said to have average defensive qualities aswell.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
razor ray

Jones will play this year and I would not worry so much about points but minutes per game. If he is logging a lot then expect him to be everything and then some of what is expected.

As for the Canada vs USA hockey talk please stop. Evaluate all players as unbiased prospects, not which country they are from as to why they will or will not succeed.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Tom Gilbert would've been a great option. Too bad we don't have cap space.

I would much rather have

Josi Weber
Gilbert Klein
Bartley Jones

Than

Josi Weber
Jones Klein
Bartley Ellis
Gilbert is not a very good defenseman, is marginally (if any) more productive than Ellis is likely to be, and isn't worth what he's likely to be asking for.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I badly, badly wish one of the three forwards would have fallen to us, but we made the right pick with what was left. If Poile and Trotz can work their magic with Jones, we have the choice three years down the road of either running one of the most stacked blue lines in the league or trading Weber/Josi/Jones for a kings ransom. It isn't perfect, but it'll do.

As for the next year debate, we aren't contenders, so there's two ways to look at it.

1. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him time to develop in the CHL and don't rush him.

2. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him tons of minutes and let him makes mistakes this year and learn from them.

I'll trust Poile and Trotz to make that call.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I badly, badly wish one of the three forwards would have fallen to us, but we made the right pick with what was left. If Poile and Trotz can work their magic with Jones, we have the choice three years down the road of either running one of the most stacked blue lines in the league or trading Weber/Josi/Jones for a kings ransom. It isn't perfect, but it'll do.

As for the next year debate, we aren't contenders, so there's two ways to look at it.

1. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him time to develop in the CHL and don't rush him.

2. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him tons of minutes and let him makes mistakes this year and learn from them.

I'll trust Poile and Trotz to make that call.
there is ZERO chance that Jones goes back to junior before game 8 of the season. He will break camp with the Preds... the plan is he learns on the fly from Weber.... there is a microscopic chance that he plays so poorly the first two weeks that he gets sent back but quite frankly if that happens we are probably screwed....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
WartracePred

Just to get us back on track guys -- how is Serh Jones going to fix last years performance with relation to injuries??

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Just to get us back on track guys -- how is Serh Jones going to fix last years performance with relation to injuries??
If he is as good of a puck carrier as everyone has said, he can really open things up for our forwards. A Dman can improve our offense, in some scenarios.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Moved 20+ posts to the "Lines" thread to get this back on topic. Let's stick to the drafting of Seth Jones here please... Thanks!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

If he reaches his Rob Blake-like potential you will look back at this and laugh.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote