HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post

Anyone can have their own opinion about that, but for me you don't miss four tournaments in a row with injuries, it's a conscious decision on his part. If it was Erik Karlsson no one would care about that, but Toby is the second or third fiddle PP guy on this team and has healthy competition for a spot. That's when showing up for the World Champs starts to matter. Erik Gustafsson wouldn't be a camp invitee without the World Champs.
Could be, but Enström is a band-aid boy who obviously gets all kinds of injuries on a regular basis. A nightmare in fantasy hockey although when on his game certainly a sleeper that will win you some games from the 15th round or after. Has not the greatest forwards to play with either so very often it's him and Big Buff that to a high degree drives their offense.

Sure, having Brodin, Ericsson and Hjalmarsson as our 6th to 8th defensemen are all great, but lets say we lose two of our offensive defensemen either before or during the Games. Not such a dynamic group then if no Enström either.

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Kronwall-Ericsson
Hedman-Brodin

Not terrible though. Might work.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 07-21-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old
07-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Do you mean last season? Because this season he missed the end with a back injury.

Anyway, I think it's pretty legit to believe him not showing up under Mårts is a big factor. Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, Kronwall, Edler, Hjalmarsson, Ericsson, Brodin all have. You can add Grossmann, Gunnarsson, Gustafsson, Tallinder to that group aswell. Only two camp invitees haven't played for Mårts, Murray and Oduya -- guys who make the playoffs. Enström is never in the playoffs, but hasn't been in the World Champs for the last four tournaments.

Anyone can have their own opinion about that, but for me you don't miss four tournaments in a row with injuries, it's a conscious decision on his part. If it was Erik Karlsson no one would care about that, but Toby is the second or third fiddle PP guy on this team and has healthy competition for a spot. That's when showing up for the World Champs starts to matter. Erik Gustafsson wouldn't be a camp invitee without the World Champs.
You're right, I messed up the years. But as you say, he hasn't played the WCs for a long time so you start to wonder. Last time he did show up, he got boarded and injured in like the first game of the tourney. Still, it's really disappointing seeing good players like Enström declining to play for Tre Kronor and that is obviously being held against him.

Enström is also another LHD that I don't believe is very comfortable on the right side. Guess he could oust Edler based on performance, but Edler feels more all round, even if he is not as consistent as one would have liked.

Last edited by Pentothal: 07-21-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old
07-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Reento

L.Eriksson-H.Sedin-D.Sedin
Franzen-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Landeskog-Bäckström-Steen
Hagelin-Berglund-Stålberg
Hörnqvist
Kruger

E.Karlsson-Edler
O.E.Larsson-N.Kronwall
Hedman-Enström
Hjalmarsson-Oduya

Lundqvist
Enroth
Fasth

Old
07-21-2013, 11:06 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Where have you heard he is eligible? You think that he gets nominated even if he does not get to go to the evaluation camp? He might be, but was it not Johan Hedberg that was never nominated a couple of editions ago and then they suddenly had a need for a new goalie? Or was it some skater, dont really remember.

We will be there too, soon. Probably not like on D but we will be very deep in a couple of years.
Yes, I believe he might be nominated even if he's not on the camp. Where did you get it's an evaluation camp?? Sounds very unswedish. Healthy and in good shape he's in the picture.

Last edited by jfc64: 07-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
07-21-2013, 11:14 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Could be, but Enström is a band-aid boy who obviously gets all kinds of injuries on a regular basis. A nightmare in fantasy hockey although when on his game certainly a sleeper that will win you some games from the 15th round or after. Has not the greatest forwards to play with either so very often it's him and Big Buff that to a high degree drives their offense.

Sure, having Brodin, Ericsson and Hjalmarsson as our 6th to 8th defensemen are all great, but lets say we lose two of our offensive defensemen either before or during the Games. Not such a dynamic group then if no Enström either.

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Kronwall-Ericsson
Hedman-Brodin

Not terrible though. Might work.
It might work, but maybe we use a more experienced player than Brodin on our third defense pairing if there's no Karlsson, Enström or Edler. A more defensive approach. Two players gone (and good ones) is a bit of an unlikely scenario, though.

Imagine Canada losing Doughty and Pietrangelo...They already have problems with their 6th and 7th guy. Plus second goalie behind Price. And role players at forward.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:25 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Could be, but Enström is a band-aid boy who obviously gets all kinds of injuries on a regular basis.

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Kronwall-Ericsson
Hedman-Brodin
IF our two best offensive defensemen (Karlsson and Edler or Enström) are gone I want this defense:

OEL - Hedman
Kronwall - Ericsson
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Gunnarsson - Enström/Edler

Old
07-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Yes, I believe he might be nominated even if he's not on the camp. Where did you get it's an evaluation camp?? Sounds very unswedish. Healthy and in good shape he's in the picture.
It said in the post on swehockey.se that it would be a meet and greet, they were to try out Olympic clothes etc, but that no on-ice activities were scheduled since the NHL and NHLPA hadn't agreed to participation yet at the time of the announcement. Guess that might change now.. Still, have a hard time seeing them calling it "evaluation camp", as of now it is "OS-träff".

Old
07-21-2013, 12:41 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

How would a Swedish B-team do in Olympics? Assuming this is the A team: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=453

Johansson - Backlund - Silfverberg
Soderberg - Zibanejad - MPS
Ullstrom - Andersson - Nyqvist
J.Ericsson - Josefson - Pettersson

Gunnarsson - Stralman
Brodin - Ericsson
Gustavsson - Tallinder

Lehner
Lindback

Last edited by landskronala: 07-21-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
It said in the post on swehockey.se that it would be a meet and greet, they were to try out Olympic clothes etc, but that no on-ice activities were scheduled since the NHL and NHLPA hadn't agreed to participation yet at the time of the announcement. Guess that might change now.. Still, have a hard time seeing them calling it "evaluation camp", as of now it is "OS-träff".
It does not really matter what it is called or what it is. What matters is that Enström is what seems not going to the camp. And whatever is the reason for that i am not very caring about either, i just hope that he gets nominated if in fact the worst thing happens and we have a need for a dynamic offensive dynamo like him.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
How would a Swedish B-team do in Olympics? Assuming this is the A team: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=453

Gunnarsson - Stralman
Brodin - Ericsson
Gustavsson - Tallinder

Lehner
Lindback

Could probably medal with a handful of luck. Depth is looking good these days, doesn't it.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
It does not really matter what it is called or what it is. What matters is that Enström is what seems not going to the camp. And whatever is the reason for that i am not either very caringf about, i just hope that he gets nominated if in fact the worst thing happens and we have a need for a dynamic offensive dynamo like him.
No one is contesting that he's a good player that could be really useful, especially if we have some bad luck with injuries. I was always a fan of the little guy's game, but he seems to have burnt bridges with the guys making the big decisions. With some of us Tre Kronor fans as well, which is why I'm not too sad about it. We have quite a few good PP guys and also a logjam of left side defensemen, so the team can survive without him although I certainly wouldn't complain if he made the team either.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Berglund1313

Quote:

Gunnarsson - Stralman
Brodin - Ericsson
Gustavsson - Tallinder

Lehner
Lindback

I would not be surprised if a team like that would be playing for a medal.
Adam Larsson
Filip Forsberg
Markström

Old
07-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Huffman

Quote:

Gunnarsson - Stralman
Brodin - Ericsson
Gustavsson - Tallinder

Lehner
Lindback
Pretty good team, I expect some of those guys will have great seasons next year. Like I said earlier, Elias Lindholm is my darkhorse for this team. I expect him to outproduce many of the guys on this team next season if he plays in Carolina.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Assuming this is our first team:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Steen - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Hagelin - Berglund - Landeskog
Krüger - Silfverberg

Karlsson - Hedman
Kronwall - Ericsson
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
OEL - Edler

Lundqvist
Enroth
Lehner

Then this might be our second team:

Zibanejad - Söderberg - Johansson
Stålberg - Backlund - Axelsson
Lindberg - Josefsson - Lindholm
Pääjärvi - Lundqvist - Ericsson
Forsberg - Larsson

Gunnarsson - Enström
Brodin - Larsson
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Strålman - Lindholm

Fasth / Markström / Lindbäck

Last edited by jfc64: 07-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old
07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

So what do you guys think of our chances? Obviously Canada is top dog, but other than them I feel we have as good a chance as any and are joint second favorites with Russia (scary forwards, as well as home and big ice, but their D looks questionable to me) and the US (talented, deep, but would look better on small ice). Our team will look great on big ice and we'll puck posses the **** out of anyone. No medal would be a disappointment for me.

Gotta mention our dear neighbors Finland, who always perform in the underdog role, but this will be the worst Olympic roster I've ever seen from them on paper. They'll look a lot better come 2018, no doubt.

Last edited by Pentothal: 07-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Here's the nhl.com Sweden Olympics preview by the way.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Found it interesting that none of the three writers had Enroth among the goalies, and this line kind of cracked me up:

Nicklas Lidstrom has said he doesn't want to play in Sochi after retiring before the start of the 2012-13 season.

You don't say..

Old
07-22-2013, 01:03 PM
jfc64

team

Last edited by jfc64: 07-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 01:31 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
So what do you guys think of our chances? Obviously Canada is top dog, but other than them I feel we have as good a chance as any and are joint second favorites with Russia (scary forwards, as well as home and big ice, but their D looks questionable to me) and the US (talented, deep, but would look better on small ice). Our team will look great on big ice and we'll puck posses the **** out of anyone. No medal would be a disappointment for me.

Gotta mention our dear neighbors Finland, who always perform in the underdog role, but this will be the worst Olympic roster I've ever seen from them on paper. They'll look a lot better come 2018, no doubt.
Yeah, I feel sorry for them. But their goalies may steal a game or two.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
SweYote

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson
Franzén-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Landeskog-Bäckström-Hörnqvist
Steen-Berglund-Krüger
Hagelin

OEL-Karlsson
Enström-Kronwall
Edler-Hedman
Hjalmarsson

Lundqvist
Fasth
Markström

Old
07-22-2013, 02:04 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Daniel Sedin, Franzen, and Steen are the only Swedish wingers who had a higher PPG than Johansson.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
The Saw Is the Law

As a Finn I'm very happy because half of your "Team B" players wouldn't make it to the Finnish "Team A"

Old
07-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

We should trade an LD for a RD with Canada. Maybe their C-team needs one Edler for not-appropriately-named Subban on Tre Kronor?

Old
07-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Bob Munden

I'm 100% certain that Mårts will bring in Niklas Persson.

Old
07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
does anyone know why Enstrom was not invited?

Old
07-22-2013, 07:33 PM
bigbadbruins7

interesting no markstrom as well

Closed Thread