HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part IV

Old
07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think the scoring is coming along, especially once Strome and Nelson stick. The defense should be OK, again once Donovan/de Haan and eventually Reinhart make the jump.
All those guys are "ifs" as well.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:29 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcrush View Post
If we were to trade for just one player from whom we should benefit the most, who should that be?

Keep in mind the assets that realistically would go the other way. Its ok to value from an islanders point of view, so be easy with the flaming.

Even thou I could see us go for a goalie or defenseman I would like to see someone like Lucic on our first line with JT and PMB/Strome

In: Milan Lucic
Return: Moulson, Donovan, pick
Lucic is close to untradeable. Best power forward in the league and I don't think anyone else is close, very hard to quantify his trade value. He also has a modified NTC, I'm not sure about the restrictions though.

That said, I'd like to see him on our top line too! It would cost a bundle, and totally depends on Boston's needs. I imagine Okposo, a first, and a top prospect (Reinhart, Strome) gets you close, but Boston has a core that you just don't give up unless absolutely necessary.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
YearlyLottery

Lets take a look at the possible lines we might have for opening night.

Bailey- Tavares- PMB

Not the most physical line but much more skill than last year. In order for this line to work Bailey has got to be the Bailey of the last 10 games of the season. PMB has to be better than Boyes.

Moulson- Neislen-Okposo

Moulson is a garbageman. He scores 30 a year from being near the net. Neilsen brings defense and a scoring touch. Okposo has to be the Okposo from the last 10 games of the season.

Grabner- Strome/Nelson- Clutterbuck
It is perfect for Strome/Nelson to have a guy that will protect them like Clutterbuck and than the fastest player in the league like Grabner. They won't be scared to do things with the puck with CLutterbuck on their line

Martin-Cizikas-CMAC

No explaining needed for this line.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
seabass45

It's really hard to predict the opening night lineup, not just because Strome and Nelson might be a factor, but also because we've gotten very used to the lineup as is and there's definitely potential for things to be switched up at camp. Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo was great, but both wings could easily be fantastic on the first line. Then there's Moulson, who was a lock for the first line until the playoffs. At least the 4th line is set?

The Peter Regin signing is still weird IMO. I guess he's a good placeholder for Nelson.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
L

Grabner- Strome/Nelson- Clutterbuck
It is perfect for Strome/Nelson to have a guy that will protect them like Clutterbuck and than the fastest player in the league like Grabner. They won't be scared to do things with the puck with CLutterbuck on their line

I doubt the 6'4 Nelson , looks to the smaller CC for protection.

And from what Wild fans posts about CC, I question the idea he will be anyones bodyguard.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:36 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I doubt the 6'4 Nelson , looks to the smaller CC for protection.

And from what Wild fans posts about CC, I question the idea he will be anyones bodyguard.
Well Crew, size does not mean you turn into an animal. Just because you have size does not mean you don't look to a guy for protection.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
TW

Clutterbuck does one thing extremely well. He separates the guy from the puck. I think your goal when finding what line to play him on is to put him with enough offense to capitalize on the turnovers he creates, but enough defense that the D isn't left out to dry when he's out of position to make the hit.

I would love to see the Grabner/Franz/CC line make an impact. I don't know if one of the rookies is able to make the leap to second line.

Moulson/JT/PMB
Bailey/Strome or Nelson/Okposo
Grabner/Franz/CC
Martin/Cizikas/McD

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:55 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
Well Crew, size does not mean you turn into an animal. Just because you have size does not mean you don't look to a guy for protection.
We have not had scouts and coaches , saying 6'4 Nelson is unwilling to use his size.
We have not gotten scouting reports that he avoids physical play or turtles during fights.

Just because CC is a pest/agitator, does not mean he is an enforcer, will suddenly play a body guard role.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 07-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old
07-19-2013, 10:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Clutterbuck does one thing extremely well. He separates the guy from the puck. I think your goal when finding what line to play him on is to put him with enough offense to capitalize on the turnovers he creates, but enough defense that the D isn't left out to dry when he's out of position to make the hit.

I would love to see the Grabner/Franz/CC line make an impact. I don't know if one of the rookies is able to make the leap to second line.

Moulson/JT/PMB
Grabner/Franz/CC
Martin/Cizikas/McD
Agree with what you said, and I would like to see that line I bolded as well. There will be much mixing and matching next season so it won't surprise me when it happens.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Agree with what you said, and I would like to see that line I bolded as well. There will be much mixing and matching next season so it won't surprise me when it happens.
What about offering grabovski a 1yr deal, cash friendly? Doubt he would take it but it would give us another option through the middle

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post

Moulson/JT/PMB
Grabner/Franz/CC
Martin/Cizikas/McD
I don't think Nielsen is deficient enough to pencil in an unknown rookie at 2c. I think the poster prior to you is much more realistic with line making.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:31 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
What about offering grabovski a 1yr deal, cash friendly? Doubt he would take it but it would give us another option through the middle
Honestly, I am shocked he hasn't been picked up by anyone. It makes me think all the teams see him as flawed, and asking for too much money/term. IMO he doesn't think of a shift as three forwards. That won't help this squad.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:34 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Honestly, I am shocked he hasn't been picked up by anyone. It makes me think all the teams see him as flawed, and asking for too much money/term. IMO he doesn't think of a shift as three forwards. That won't help this squad.
From what I'm reading I think he was on his honeymoon. Leafs bought him out a couple days before his wedding...

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:42 AM
12Dog

Quote:
Would make Garth look bad for jumping all over Regin so fast. I mean he had to be signed immediately, I'm sure his phone was ringing off the hook on say 1.

12Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
From what I'm reading I think he was on his honeymoon. Leafs bought him out a couple days before his wedding...
I've heard that too and if it's true, it's ****ing crazy. If teams are calling and he can't be arsed to respond because he's too busy vacationing, teams are just gonna move on to Plan B or C. They're not gonna sit around for 3 weeks and wait while he gets a sun tan. He's costing himself opportunities.

Old
07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
rikker

Kyle Clifford:

would you trade Moulson or a 2nd round pick for him?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:17 AM
doublechili

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I've heard that too and if it's true, it's ****ing crazy. If teams are calling and he can't be arsed to respond because he's too busy vacationing, teams are just gonna move on to Plan B or C. They're not gonna sit around for 3 weeks and wait while he gets a sun tan. He's costing himself opportunities.
Really. He should get himself an agent and a cell phone. What is this, 1953?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:13 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
Kyle Clifford:

What?? No way to Moulson, I am not a huge Moulson fan, but Im not trading him for another bottom 6 forward, we already have guys like Clifford, we really don't need anymore bottom 6 forwards IMO. Moulson had more points in half a season than Clifford has had in his career.

If we are trading Moulson we better be getting a very good #3-4 defenseman.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Kyle Clifford:

Absolutely not. Our LW depth is pretty set for this year, no reason to trade for Clifford when we have Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck.

Also, people are really writing off Moulson for this year. I know he didn't have a good year, but everyone's allowed to have one here and there. I think this year he'll be fine playing with Bouchard.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:46 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Absolutely not. Our LW depth is pretty set for this year, no reason to trade for Clifford when we have Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck.

Also, people are really writing off Moulson for this year. I know he didn't have a good year, but everyone's allowed to have one here and there. I think this year he'll be fine playing with Bouchard.
Yeah i think the 1st line last year was rough to watch because of boyes attributes (lack of speed). Wouldnt be shocked in the least if the 1st line is moulson-JT-Bouchard. Bouchard can carry the puck and has much more speed then boyes does. Moulson can be very effective on a line like that.

Bailey-Strome-okposo
Grabner-neilson-Clutterbuck
Martin-cizikas-macdonald

These might end up being my ideal lines

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Really. He should get himself an agent and a cell phone. What is this, 1953?
Yeah, we're talking about millions of dollars. Tell your wife to go to the spa and get on the ****ing phone for a couple hours.

This honeymoon nonsense reeks of ********. I think teams are just put off by a guy they perceive as a malcontent. He'll end up on some team that throws together mercenaries like Carolina or Phoenix or something.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:41 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
What?? No way to Moulson, I am not a huge Moulson fan, but Im not trading him for another bottom 6 forward, we already have guys like Clifford, we really don't need anymore bottom 6 forwards IMO. Moulson had more points in half a season than Clifford has had in his career.

If we are trading Moulson we better be getting a very good #3-4 defenseman.
don't forget, Moulson is a UFA after this year. Clifford is a 22 year old RFA. we would still have Bailey and Grabner as our skilled LW's. and yes, we also have Clutterbuck and McDonald, but we also are very soft up the middle. JT (he is very tough, but we don't want him banging too much), Neilson (marshmallow), Cizikas (he brings it, but doesn't have the size), and Regin.

what's wrong with some grit on every line? come playoff time, we will be wishing we had more guys like Clifford...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Kyle Clifford:

Hell Mother ****ing No

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
don't forget, Moulson is a UFA after this year. Clifford is a 22 year old RFA. we would still have Bailey and Grabner as our skilled LW's. and yes, we also have Clutterbuck and McDonald, but we also are very soft up the middle. JT (he is very tough, but we don't want him banging too much), Neilson (marshmallow), Cizikas (he brings it, but doesn't have the size), and Regin.

what's wrong with some grit on every line? come playoff time, we will be wishing we had more guys like Clifford...
Sure we may wish we had more grit, but I think that grit needs to come from the blueline. Outside of Hamonic, who else is a real physical presence back there?

I also expect Nelson to be the #2/3 center on this team.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:53 PM
CREW99AW

Gagner is asking for $5.5m in arbitration. He is scheduled to become a ufa next summer.Edmonton would like to sign him to a multi yr extension.

I am hoping he losses in arbitration. We are not even through the first summer, since the lockout and we are back to facepalm salaries.