HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson

Old
07-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Boose30

vCash: 500
Hodgson

I feel like I may have missed something but can someone help guide me to the answer of whats been taking Buffalo so long to get this guy signed or are we just waiting to relive another Vanek scenario?

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
5 Minute Major

I think Darcy learned from the Vanek offer sheet the last time. If it did happen, which I doubt it will, and it is a ridiculous offer sheet, he would take the compensation and show a Hodgson the door.

There is no rush. Maybe they are talking a longer term deal?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:07 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Nobody will sign him to an offer sheet.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Imlach a cup

Hodgson has a jerk agent and he's in a bad place for a player to negotiate from. He's on a team that doesn't need to compete, he's competing with Ennis for the number 2 center spot, with Girgensons and Grigorenko preparing to jump onto the roster. If Hodgson doesn't become a reliable 60 pnt player with leadership ability then his defensive struggles will make him a liability. If Grigorenko develops properly I'd consider moving Hodgson for a better 2 way player and tbh Im hoping Girgensons develops into a 2 way #2 option, it would be a better roster that way.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Hodgson has a jerk agent and he's in a bad place for a player to negotiate from. He's on a team that doesn't need to compete, he's competing with Ennis for the number 2 center spot, with Girgensons and Grigorenko preparing to jump onto the roster. If Hodgson doesn't become a reliable 60 pnt player with leadership ability then his defensive struggles will make him a liability. If Grigorenko develops properly I'd consider moving Hodgson for a better 2 way player and tbh Im hoping Girgensons develops into a 2 way #2 option, it would be a better roster that way.
Wait, if he's competing with Ennis for the #2 center spot, who the hell's the #1 center? Hodgson is the #1 center until a guy like Grigorenko shows he can be.

The more centers who make the team and play well (e.g. Grigorenko, Girgensons), the less likely we ever see Ennis at center again barring injury, imo. I think coach made it clear in his decisions that he prefers Ennis at wing and Ennis is a much more effective defensive player in that position, nevermind that he is the worst faceoff man on a team full of bad-to-average faceoff men.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I've heard Hodgson's agent is a bit of a hard-baller myself. That's one reason there's a holdup I'm sure. But really, it's July 21st. There's still a huge list of RFAs who aren't signed. Sam Gagner, Alex Pietrangelo, Blake Wheeler, Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, Nazem Kadri, and Carl Gunnarsson accompany Hodgson on that list. There are plenty of good RFAs left. It's not only the Sabres with one.

I suspect Hodgson wants a long-term contract extension. I think the Sabres do as well but might have learned their lesson from the Myers extension and hopefully will give him a nice bridge contract first. That's the way I'm leaning. Hopefully two years or so to see if he continues to get better. I'm sure they're wanting to make sure he's still an RFA at the end of this next one too.

I'm hoping for the smaller extension and then a long-term after that's done if all goes according to plan. No need to fret or panic yet. It's early and I'd like to see us do things right with this.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Wait, if he's competing with Ennis for the #2 center spot, who the hell's the #1 center? Hodgson is the #1 center until a guy like Grigorenko shows he can be.

The more centers who make the team and play well (e.g. Grigorenko, Girgensons), the less likely we ever see Ennis at center again barring injury, imo. I think coach made it clear in his decisions that he prefers Ennis at wing and Ennis is a much more effective defensive player in that position, nevermind that he is the worst faceoff man on a team full of bad-to-average faceoff men.
Yeah, I don't know where he's coming from with that. Hodgson is the No. 1 center on this team barring Grigorenko growing into that spot in the future. As of now though, it's Hodgson's place.

Is he a true No. 1? No, not right now. But I think the potential is definitely there, especially offensively. I expect at least 50 points from him this season and I think he's very capable of getting into the 60-point range. In his prime I really think Hodgson can score 70-80 points consistently. His biggest areas that need work are his defensive game and his faceoffs. Of course, he's only 23. There's plenty of time for him to continue to develop in all facets of the game.

Old
07-21-2013, 05:55 PM
BananaSquad

Ennis didn't sign until September... Hodgson will eventually sign.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Lots of time to get it done. Regier will hold a tough line, but the deal will get done.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Hodgson has proved so much more than any other center on our roster. He has the potential to be a number one center. I'm not all too worried about him.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
AlsPug

It was interesting to see the hate on Canucks board... They want to BOO him when he steps on ice... and they are talking about things like, that Hodg will get his BOOs in Buffalo even before he manages to play a game in Vancouver next season.

Whats the story behind this? He was traded from there not that he really wanted to not be there??

AlsPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:01 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsPug View Post
It was interesting to see the hate on Canucks board... They want to BOO him when he steps on ice... and they are talking about things like, that Hodg will get his BOOs in Buffalo even before he manages to play a game in Vancouver next season.

Whats the story behind this? He was traded from there not that he really wanted to not be there??
Apparently they believe their management's shtick.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post

So you're going to tell his agent he's the #1 so he can demand #1 money? Yes, he's the #1 right now but this entire rebuild falls on its face if we don't get someone better. Unless you're expecting him to be a 70 pnt guy that can do it against the top defensive lines in the NHL, cause I sure don't. His skating isn't good enough to create the space he will need and as of right now we don't have the wing depth to make up for it. So if you don't expect him to be the long term #1 then why the hell pay him like a #1? You let his agent know he's still fighting with Ennis for his position and you stress that you have 2 centers coming up in the near future. This is a contract negotiation not an opening day roster discussion.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Yeah, I don't know where he's coming from with that. Hodgson is the No. 1 center on this team barring Grigorenko growing into that spot in the future. As of now though, it's Hodgson's place.

Is he a true No. 1? No, not right now. But I think the potential is definitely there, especially offensively. I expect at least 50 points from him this season and I think he's very capable of getting into the 60-point range. In his prime I really think Hodgson can score 70-80 points consistently. His biggest areas that need work are his defensive game and his faceoffs. Of course, he's only 23. There's plenty of time for him to continue to develop in all facets of the game.
the threads about his contract status not the opening day lineup

Old
07-21-2013, 07:31 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Maybe one side or the other is waiting for Vanek/Miller to be resolved. Affects our cap situation and might influence the long range thinking for the franchise, which could influence term.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
So you're going to tell his agent he's the #1 so he can demand #1 money? Yes, he's the #1 right now but this entire rebuild falls on its face if we don't get someone better. Unless you're expecting him to be a 70 pnt guy that can do it against the top defensive lines in the NHL, cause I sure don't. His skating isn't good enough to create the space he will need and as of right now we don't have the wing depth to make up for it. So if you don't expect him to be the long term #1 then why the hell pay him like a #1? You let his agent know he's still fighting with Ennis for his position and you stress that you have 2 centers coming up in the near future. This is a contract negotiation not an opening day roster discussion.
No one's telling him he's the number one. His playing time will justify that title this year, and he won't get paid like a number one center. He has the POTENTIAL to be a top line center. Regier will pay him what he deserves.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
No one's telling him he's the number one. His playing time will justify that title this year, and he won't get paid like a number one center. He has the POTENTIAL to be a top line center. Regier will pay him what he deserves.
judging by how my nuts got jumped all over I think they are all saying hes the number 1

Old
07-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
judging by how my nuts got jumped all over I think they are all saying hes the number 1
I think you're being a bit over sensitive. No one was attacking. Just talking hockey.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

41 pt rookie year
58 pt pace in lockout sophomore year

Why is 70 pt center unreasonable?

Hodgson's skating as a weakness is a myth, he's not a burner but he skates smart and efficient lines and thats what creates space.

Ps what is "1st line center pay"? It's 7 million right? I don't think anyone is talking those kind of numbers

I'd lock Cody up long term at 5 if we could. It'll be a bargain in 3 years.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Hodgson could be a really good hockey player.

All the rumors of his people being a pain in the ass are a little bothersome. If someone is indeed in his ear I could imagine a scenario where he wants out of buffalo but who knows.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:12 PM
McTank

Give him the old bridge. Unless we can get him long on a low cap hit cuz it might be better to pay more now and less when we're contending

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
McTank

Not sure he'll ever be a consistent 70 point guy but if he becomes at least average defensively while putting up 60-65 points I'd be extremely happy

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I expect/hope for Hodgson to be a 65-70 pt 1a/1b C...hopefully the 2nd best C on the team if things go well for Grigorenko. He still needs to prove that though, so a three year bridge contract at around 3.5 mil is the right option. If he does prove himself upon reaching the last year of his deal, Regier can then extend him for eight years at around 6 mil...maybe 6.5-7 mil, depending on the cap.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
the threads about his contract status not the opening day lineup
To be fair, you yourself started the lineup discussion in the fourth post of the thread. The first three posts were about the contract. Second, if Hodgson's place in the lineup affects his contract, which it does, who cares if the lineup is being brought up in a thread in which it definitely pertains to? It's not off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
41 pt rookie year
58 pt pace in lockout sophomore year

Why is 70 pt center unreasonable?

Hodgson's skating as a weakness is a myth, he's not a burner but he skates smart and efficient lines and thats what creates space.

Ps what is "1st line center pay"? It's 7 million right? I don't think anyone is talking those kind of numbers

I'd lock Cody up long term at 5 if we could. It'll be a bargain in 3 years.
Can't say I disagree. Like I said, 50 points minimum is what I expect. Realistically though I think 60-70 is more reasonable and in the ball park. Could hit 80 in a few years. I really believe that.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsPug View Post

Could it be the fanbase is sore because they traded Hodgson away? Canucks fans know Hodgson's a good player and the ones that don't actually believe that are naive. The ones that say this kind of thing, to me, are just sour because they lost a good player and that player isn't on their team anymore.

What is the big reason why most Sabres fans have hated Daniel Briere for so many years? Because he's not a Sabre anymore. Him playing for the Flyers on a colossal contract didn't help means but most fans get upset when a good player they like leaves their team. They then proceed to bash the player and say things like "he wasn't any good anyway" and worship any new pieces they may have received for him in a trade or worship the good players the team still has and say "we don't need Player X, we have Player Y who is better anyway", which is all the fans trying to make themselves feel better in the first place. It's all bogus and sore feelings that the player doesn't play for them anymore.

One thing I just remembered was that rumor has it Hodgson asked for a trade out of Vancouver, which could have gotten Canucks fans riled up. But can you blame him? He had Sedin and Kesler in front of him and knew he would never get top-six minutes at center unless he got out. Hodgson did not pull a Heatley on Vancouver, so much of their hate has to do with them being sore because he's a good player that no longer plays for them IMO. If they had traded Cam Barker, I doubt they'd have the same feelings.