HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
06-03-2013, 01:48 PM
nycpunk1

vCash: 500
Sorry, no clue when it comes to Philly geography or chains. Are these PJ's all suburban places? Gonna be relying on public transit.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 917
^
The first post of this visitors guide sticky has additional suggestions though some could be dated (sports bars/pubs have been updated).

This is the web site to PJ's which has been suggested: http://www.pjspub.com/locations/

Xfinity Live: www.xfinitylive.com

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
rob42186

Hey guys, not hockey related, but maybe you could help me. (Full disclosure - Devils fan from NJ coming in peace!)

I was looking to go to the Black Sabbath show on August 10 at Wells Fargo. I saw Lower tickets were the same price as Club sections. Now, it looks like the lower section I was able to pull (Lower 107 Row 15) is behind one goal, where the stage is at the other goal. The club seats I saw (Club CB3 Row 2) seemed pretty good either way, except I wasn't sure which color it was. http://www.wellsfargocenterphilly.co...r-endstage.pdf
From the seating chart, is the club section the turquoise above the lower bowl, or the purple below the upper seats?

For concerts, does club seats include any amenities such as food and drink included? They charge 2X the service fee for the club seats as the lowers. Any idea on where to sit (or not to sit) as far as concerts? How are they with tailgating for a concert? How early do you think I should get there for a 8pm Saturday concert with regards to traffic? I've never been to the arena before. Thanks for the help!!

rob42186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:18 AM
PAZUZU

pretty sure the club sections are the turquoise and the purple are suites. i would not expect food and drink to be included in the club box, but you will get a less crowded bathroom and a bar in your immediate proximity. as far as best place to sit, i guess the best answer is the closer, the better. you should have no problems with tailgating in the lots prior to the show, the only suggestion i might make would be to pour any beverages into cups. traffic should be ok, the phils are in washington that nite.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
rob42186

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZUZU View Post
pretty sure the club sections are the turquoise and the purple are suites. i would not expect food and drink to be included in the club box, but you will get a less crowded bathroom and a bar in your immediate proximity. as far as best place to sit, i guess the best answer is the closer, the better. you should have no problems with tailgating in the lots prior to the show, the only suggestion i might make would be to pour any beverages into cups. traffic should be ok, the phils are in washington that nite.
Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

rob42186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Guys,

Habs fan here who would really want you guys to answer the post I wrote in the Lounge thread. Note, that I'm not necessarily talking about Philadelphia itself but mostly the surroundings. Thanks for getting back to me.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...07&postcount=1

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anybody????

Old
07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

I live in Bensalem, and there is a Hampton INN right near my house. It is right off the I95 exit as well and easily accessible to travelers. I see a lot of out of town folks staying there as well. It has a Bob Evans on the same lot also, so it's nice for travelers to get a nice bite to eat before heading back out for the long drive ahead. It is under new management also I believe and just had a ton of restorations done to it.

Bensalem is right outside the city of Philly, I can walk to the city from my house in about 4 minutes.

There is a ton of hotels around here though, I know nothing of any in New Jersey.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
flyershockey

If you want to stay close to 95, then stay somewhere in PA. To get to Jersey you would have to cross a bridge at some point and you would end up more than fifteen minutes off your route. It really all just depends on where you want to stop for the night.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Thanks to both of you.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I live in Bensalem, and there is a Hampton INN right near my house. It is right off the I95 exit as well and easily accessible to travelers. I see a lot of out of town folks staying there as well. It has a Bob Evans on the same lot also, so it's nice for travelers to get a nice bite to eat before heading back out for the long drive ahead. It is under new management also I believe and just had a ton of restorations done to it.

Bensalem is right outside the city of Philly, I can walk to the city from my house in about 4 minutes.

There is a ton of hotels around here though, I know nothing of any in New Jersey.
We're practically neighbors

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:40 PM
orangecrush8

Quick question.

Me and my girlfriend have a trip planned to NYC in October and we are debating on catching the Flyers/Pens game on the 18th.

Whats the best way to get to and from Philly from NYC (if attainable for just the evening)? Amtrak does offer train services although I'm not wanting to be rushed after the game to make sure we catch the train.

Any tips?

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Megabus or Boltbus

I know some people have had issues with their service but it's really not bad at all imo. I've never had a problem and it's ridiculously cheap. If you booked now with MB, you can get tickets for $1 and they run all day.

The bus will drop you off at 30th St Station too, which is right next to the subway which can get you to WFC.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
We're practically neighbors
Are you located in the Northeast or in Bensalem?

Old
07-22-2013, 08:02 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
This is the most misleading statement I've ever read. Sure, you can walk to an area that technically has a Philadelphia mailing address, but you're still close to 20 miles outside of Center City.

Google Maps says Bensalem -> Center City is a 17.6mi drive down 95. A total of 30-30+ minutes, depending on traffic.

EDIT: I consider Bensalem as the outskirts of the suburbs, but it's nowhere near the city. I grew up in Warminster, I'm very familiar with this area.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
This is the most misleading statement I've ever read. Sure, you can walk to an area that technically has a Philadelphia mailing address, but you're still close to 20 miles outside of Center City.

Google Maps says Bensalem -> Center City is a 17.6mi drive down 95. A total of 30-30+ minutes, depending on traffic.

EDIT: I consider Bensalem as the outskirts of the suburbs, but it's nowhere near the city. I grew up in Warminster, I'm very familiar with this area.
I was giving him that description because he wanted to know a place near Philly/New Jersey to stay over night. Well, since I live 5 mins from the city and am right off of I-95, I thought it would be a good idea to throw it in there. If him and his family want to visit Philly(which he made no reference to) then he could find a spot closer to Center City if he would like, but it's more expensive(he isn't looking for that.) He just wanted a place near Philly to stay that is cheap, not a bad area, and is easily accessible near Philly(off of I-95, and this is exactly what he was looking for), I gave him that. He isn't visiting Philly, just passing by and staying for the night to go to the Carolinas.

I don't think I was misleading at all.....

Old
07-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Quick question.

Me and my girlfriend have a trip planned to NYC in October and we are debating on catching the Flyers/Pens game on the 18th.

Whats the best way to get to and from Philly from NYC (if attainable for just the evening)? Amtrak does offer train services although I'm not wanting to be rushed after the game to make sure we catch the train.

Any tips?
There's usually Bolt buses that run between the two cities for fairly cheap.

https://www.boltbus.com/

Search on the homepage using these parameters :
Region : NE
Leaving from and of the NYC to PHI buses

The JFK and 30th would be best because you could hop on the Market Frankford line and then grab the broad street subway at 15th street to drop you off right outside the Wells Fargo Center

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:23 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
I don't think I was misleading at all.....
The fact that you said Bensalem is 5 minutes from the city is misleading. That's all.

If he stayed in Bensalem and wanted to drive down to the Wells Fargo Center he'd be looking at a 45 minute drive, not 5 minutes...

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Islander102

I plan on going to the Isles game on 1/18. Based on your experience, what do you think I should wind up paying for tix in the 200's between the circles? I'd imagine prices on Stubhub will drop when tickets actually go on sale and more inventory is released. Thanks!

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
The fact that you said Bensalem is 5 minutes from the city is misleading. That's all.

If he stayed in Bensalem and wanted to drive down to the Wells Fargo Center he'd be looking at a 45 minute drive, not 5 minutes...
I understand what you are saying, but in his post he only wanted place to stay in close range to 95 on his way down to North Carolina. He isn't interested(as far as the post said) that he wanted to stop by the city, just needed somewhere close to stay( in the general area, that is why I mentioned Philly). I was just giving perspective of how close I was to the city of Philly so he would know where he was going to be stopping if he choose there.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:
Are you located in the Northeast or in Bensalem?
Northeast. A few baseball throws away from Bensalem.

Route 13 + Woodhaven mall/shopping center is a 5 minute drive away, if that.

edit: technically I have to drive thru Bensalem (woodhaven road) to get to 95, and it takes me generally ~30 minutes to get to the stadiums, which isn't a bad drive at all (save for I-95 traffic, yikes). It takes 2 seconds to get to 95 from the Hotel Prongo was talking about, hence the easy access to get to the stadiums (99% of the drive is I-95)

edit2: Really hoping Im talking about the same hotel/Bob Evans Prongo is talking about, would be really awkward if I'm talking about some place completely different

Last edited by Jray42: 07-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Northeast. A few baseball throws away from Bensalem.

Route 13 + Woodhaven mall/shopping center is a 5 minute drive away, if that.

edit: technically I have to drive thru Bensalem (woodhaven road) to get to 95, and it takes me generally ~30 minutes to get to the stadiums, which isn't a bad drive at all (save for I-95 traffic, yikes). It takes 2 seconds to get to 95 from the Hotel Prongo was talking about, hence the easy access to get to the stadiums (99% of the drive is I-95)

edit2: Really hoping Im talking about the same hotel/Bob Evans Prongo is talking about, would be really awkward if I'm talking about some place completely different
Yes, we have to be on the same page There isn't another set up around here that I know about besides the one across from Woodhaven mall.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:07 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I plan on going to the Isles game on 1/18. Based on your experience, what do you think I should wind up paying for tix in the 200's between the circles? I'd imagine prices on Stubhub will drop when tickets actually go on sale and more inventory is released. Thanks!
100-130 for rows 1-6 or 7 per seat.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:49 PM
orangecrush8

Thanks 2Claude2Giroux and Krishna! Definitely gonna go the BoltBus route.

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 04:18 AM
welshrangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Quick question.

Any tips?
I did this when on holiday in NYC last march...went to Philly for a day to watch pens-flyers.

Caught the NJ transit train from Penn Station to Philadelphia (change at Trenton). Cost was about $20 return.

welshrangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote