HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 01:40 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Richards-Toews-Nash
Staal-Bergeron-Perry
Getzlaf

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Hamhuis-Subban
Doughty/Girardi

I tried to keep chemistry in pairs. Stamkos and St. Louis will certainly be magic with Crosby. Hall and Tavares worked wonders together at the WJC's and adding Giroux to that line is an upgrade over Eberle where they play great in Edmonton. The best line from 2010 should stay intact for the time being, they dominated that entire tournament. The 4th line is a bit of a toss-up, I just put two big players flanking Bergeron who I think will play all over the lineup. I made a conscious effort overall to keep players on their designated wings, however a few cases a player had to be moved to the wing (Stamkos being the only one who hasn't shown he is completely comfortable in doing so, although shouldn't be a problem playing with Sid).

Defence wise it's a little more difficult due to the extreme amount of right handed players we have. I kept Keith and Seabrook together mostly due to familiarity which is crucial during the tournament. Pietrangelo and Weber will probably be our #1 pairing, they are both rock solid and can do it all; a true shutdown pair. Hamhuis is a solid left handed defenceman who I think is better than Girardi at this point in time, however they can be interchanged to play alongside the Norris winner Subban.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
True Hockey Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Friedman just tweeted that Canada's prelim roster (i.e. Camp invites) will be announced tomorrow...

My prediction:

the players I have on my team right now
the players I think will make the summer camp

Goalies: Crawford, Price and Luongo for sure + Smith / Holtby / Ward / Elliott

D: Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Subban, Weber, M.Staal, Letang, Boyle, Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Hamhuis and Green for sure + Beauchemin / Girardi/ Burns / Vlasic / Justin Schultz / Campbell

Forwards: Getzlaf, Perry, Bergeron, E.Staal, Toews, Sharp, Duchene, Carter, M.Richards, Tavares, Nash, Giroux, Spezza, Neal, Crosby, Iginla, Thornton, Stamkos and St.Louis for sure + Marchand / J.Staal / Benn / Hall / Eberle / Heatley / Kunitz / Couture / Doan / Lecavalier / E.Kane / Ladd ...

Old
07-21-2013, 03:38 PM
LeHabsMan

There are A LOT of options up front...

Almost Guaranteed Players:
Sidney Crosby*
Steven Stamkos*
John Tavares*
Claude Giroux*
Jonathan Toews*
Patrice Bergeron*
Martin St.Louis*
Rick Nash*

Veterans with a chance:
Ryan Getzlaf*
Eric Staal*
Patrick Sharp*
Corey Perry
Mike Richards*
Joe Thornton

Young players looking to make it:
Matt Duchene*
Logan Couture*
Taylor Hall*
Jamie Benn*
Tyler Seguin
Jordan Eberle

Surprises?
Jason Spezza
Andrew Ladd*
Jeff Carter*
Milan Lucic
James Neal
Jordan Staal
Brad Marchand

The players with the * next to them would be the players that I would still have at the time of my final cut. 4 players would still have to be cut at that time.

I dont take Perry. I would take Andrew Ladd over him.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:10 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
There are A LOT of options up front...

Almost Guaranteed Players:
Sidney Crosby*
Steven Stamkos*
John Tavares*
Claude Giroux*
Jonathan Toews*
Patrice Bergeron*
Martin St.Louis*
Rick Nash*

Veterans with a chance:
Ryan Getzlaf*
Eric Staal*
Patrick Sharp*
Corey Perry
Mike Richards*
Joe Thornton

Young players looking to make it:
Matt Duchene*
Logan Couture*
Taylor Hall*
Jamie Benn*
Tyler Seguin
Jordan Eberle

Surprises?
Jason Spezza
Andrew Ladd*
Jeff Carter*
Milan Lucic
James Neal
Jordan Staal
Brad Marchand

The players with the * next to them would be the players that I would still have at the time of my final cut. 4 players would still have to be cut at that time.

I dont take Perry. I would take Andrew Ladd over him.
Seems reasonable to me. The only guy I would add to your list is Patty Marleau - arguably our best defensive winger, still a fantastic skater, and a great PKer, with offensive upside. Could play center in a pinch. Consider him a veteran with a chance.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Richards-Toews-Nash
Staal-Bergeron-Perry
Getzlaf

Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Weber
Hamhuis-Subban
Doughty/Girardi

I tried to keep chemistry in pairs. Stamkos and St. Louis will certainly be magic with Crosby. Hall and Tavares worked wonders together at the WJC's and adding Giroux to that line is an upgrade over Eberle where they play great in Edmonton. The best line from 2010 should stay intact for the time being, they dominated that entire tournament. The 4th line is a bit of a toss-up, I just put two big players flanking Bergeron who I think will play all over the lineup. I made a conscious effort overall to keep players on their designated wings, however a few cases a player had to be moved to the wing (Stamkos being the only one who hasn't shown he is completely comfortable in doing so, although shouldn't be a problem playing with Sid).

Defence wise it's a little more difficult due to the extreme amount of right handed players we have. I kept Keith and Seabrook together mostly due to familiarity which is crucial during the tournament. Pietrangelo and Weber will probably be our #1 pairing, they are both rock solid and can do it all; a true shutdown pair. Hamhuis is a solid left handed defenceman who I think is better than Girardi at this point in time, however they can be interchanged to play alongside the Norris winner Subban.
I'd pair Hamhuis and Weber together given the fact that they've played together as a pairing on the Preds, so you have that built-in chemistry. They'd also make the team's shutdown pair playing that way.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
I'd pair Hamhuis and Weber together given the fact that they've played together as a pairing on the Preds, so you have that built-in chemistry. They'd also make the team's shutdown pair playing that way.
Yeah, and there's your shutdown pairing.

Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Subban
Letang

If Marc Staal returns to form next season, you could either replace Hamhuis or J-Bo with him, or shuffle out Letang and go with a more conservative, defensive 8-man unit. We're actually not in that poor shape with respect to our LHed D as some posters here (incl myself) once feared. We have some good options, plus guys like Vlasic, Beauchemin and Methot who are rock solid defensively but lack the overall offensive game to make this roster.

Old
07-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Quares27

My camp prediction based on the # of players last time (5G 16D 25F)

Luongo, Price, Crawford, Smith, Ward

Subban, Letang, Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Phaneuf, Staal, Beauchemin, Hamhuis, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Campbell, Burns, Bouwmeester

Crosby, Stamkos, St. Louis, Giroux, Staal, Hall, Getzlaf, Perry, Tavares, Toews, Nash, Thornton, Marleau, Neal, Spezza, Eberle, Sharp, Lupul, Bergeron, Carter, M. Richards, Duchene, Couture, Ladd, Iginla

Old
07-21-2013, 06:37 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
My camp prediction based on the # of players last time (5G 16D 25F)

Luongo, Price, Crawford, Smith, Ward

Subban, Letang, Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Phaneuf, Staal, Beauchemin, Hamhuis, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Campbell, Burns, Bouwmeester

Crosby, Stamkos, St. Louis, Giroux, Staal, Hall, Getzlaf, Perry, Tavares, Toews, Nash, Thornton, Marleau, Neal, Spezza, Eberle, Sharp, Lupul, Bergeron, Carter, M. Richards, Duchene, Couture, Ladd, Iginla
I see Jamie Benn and Dan Girardi at least getting invited.

i dont know who i would remove though.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:53 PM
duul

Quote:
I see Jamie Benn and Dan Girardi at least getting invited.

i dont know who i would remove though.
Boyle out, Girardi in. Duchene out, Benn in.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:57 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Boyle out, Girardi in. Duchene out, Benn in.
I agree with Boyle but I would take out Iginla or Marleau before Duchene.

Old
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
duul

Quote:
I agree with Boyle but I would take out Iginla or Marleau before Duchene.
I'd agree but Hockey Canada won't let that happen.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Mehar

Just a reminder guys- Canada can name 14 forwards and 8 Defenseman for Sochi (22 Skaters). I see a lot of posters just naming 13 forwards and 7 Defenseman.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
RacMan93

Quote:
I'd agree but Hockey Canada won't let that happen.
duchene is taylor hall with skills and hockey i.q

he was are best player in the worlds a few months ago.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacMan93 View Post
duchene is taylor hall with skills and hockey i.q

he was are best player in the worlds a few months ago.
Duchene played more games and had way less points than Hall did this season, so clearly you're just trying to troll.

One WC is irrelevant especially if you watched the games. Duchene plays C as a left handed shot and doesn't pass the puck. His vision is poor and isn't really able to pass it to his left side, meaning he either skates it himself end-to-end which was seen so many times or he would once in a while make a pass off to Eberle. Hall is superior to Duchene in basically every facet of the game except for stickhandling ability.

You also might want to take a look at CORSI.

Old
07-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Pekka Rinne

St Louis - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Toews - Bergeron
Richards - Staal - Perry
Duchene, Getzlaf

Weber - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Subban
Letang, Seabrook

Luongo
Ward
Price

Old
07-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
St Louis - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Nash - Toews - Bergeron
Richards - Staal - Perry
Duchene, Getzlaf

Weber - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Hamhuis - Subban
Letang, Seabrook

Luongo
Ward
Price
Great job man. My roster right now is virtually identical, except for one or two changes. I have Crawford over Ward right now as my third goalie, and have Patrick Sharp as my 13th or 14th forward instead of Taylor Hall. Taylor Hall's play at the WC made me remove him from my list as of now, but things can change from now until Sochi.

Old
07-21-2013, 10:33 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Great job man. My roster right now is virtually identical, except for one or two changes. I have Crawford over Ward right now as my third goalie, and have Patrick Sharp as my 13th or 14th forward instead of Taylor Hall. Taylor Hall's play at the WC made me remove him from my list as of now, but things can change from now until Sochi.
I'm probably sounding like a Hall homer right now, but did you watch the WC or watch Edmonton and Colorado play during the season? It's clear Duchene and Hall clash style wise, however one is a centre who doesn't pass the puck often and the other is a winger who needs the puck on his stick to succeed. Ruff didn't understand this for some reason and kept them together the first game. Duchene was clearly a puck hog throughout the season and that statement rung true in the WC. He doesn't have very good vision and really the only time he passes is if he has no other options. I can't count the amount of times he looked off Eberle or Hall on a 2 on 1, it was disgusting. I just don't understand why you would take the best Canadian LW off the Olympic team because of this error, and the fact he got less minutes per game than Simmonds and Read..

Old
07-21-2013, 10:33 PM
RacMan93

Quote:
Duchene played more games and had way less points than Hall did this season, so clearly you're just trying to troll.

One WC is irrelevant especially if you watched the games. Duchene plays C as a left handed shot and doesn't pass the puck. His vision is poor and isn't really able to pass it to his left side, meaning he either skates it himself end-to-end which was seen so many times or he would once in a while make a pass off to Eberle. Hall is superior to Duchene in basically every facet of the game except for stickhandling ability.

You also might want to take a look at CORSI.
duchene was also the best canadian at the spengler cup. The big ice brings the best out of him while it does nothing for hall. Hall is only fast in a straight and was probly are worst player a few months ago. Duchene carried the entire line and was as good as stamkos or giroux in that tournament.

duchene is faster, more mobile, better shot, better stick handler and has better vision. his vision might not be great but halls is even worse

Sorry for my english.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Lucic would be a disaster on large ice.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Aqualung

Can Pietrangelo play the left side? Or does it matter that much on bigger ice?

Old
07-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

The world championships proved Hall isn't mature enough to play because he is no good away from the puck. Same goes for Eberle who does not have the chops to hang with the big boys.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:42 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

I really hope Spezza makes it; I think he'd do wonders on international ice.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:05 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Just a reminder guys- Canada can name 14 forwards and 8 Defenseman for Sochi (22 Skaters). I see a lot of posters just naming 13 forwards and 7 Defenseman.
How many players can be dressed?

Old
07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam93 View Post
Lucic would be a disaster on large ice.
100%. He's good on a smaller, North American ice. His skating would render him pretty useless on Olympic ice

Old
07-22-2013, 08:42 AM
bobbyflex

I'd go with:

St.Louis/Crosby/Stamkos (scoring 1)
Tavares/Staal/Giroux (scoring 2)
Couture/Bergeron/Toews (shutdown)
Benn/Getzlaf/Perry (grind/physical)

Keith/Weber
Peitroangelo/Doughty
Hamhuis/Subban

Price
Luongo
Crawford

Last edited by bobbyflex: 07-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Closed Thread