HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stastny to Edmonton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 01:18 AM
  #101
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate
 
Allen Degenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Country: Albania
Posts: 4,334
vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Damn I guess I should be pretty excited about the Gagner hearing then. I mean, he's a lock for 40+ points and just hit a PPG (Read: Opposite slope of Statsny) and will also have an expiring contract. Based on your post, teams will be lining up salivating to get their hands on him.
People keep trotting out Gagner's last season like he's an all star (and FYI, 38 points in 48 games isn't actually PPG; though you may have been talking about a power play goal because nothing you say makes any sense anyway). Gagner is the type of player that would have to outscore Stastny by a dozen points before you could even make an argument that he has more value because he has no other facets to his game, though even then it'd be a hard sell. He's awful defensively, not physical, can't win a face off, and wildly inconsistent.

His last season could be a fluke, anything can happen in half a season. Subban went from a very good defenseman to a Norris winner, Bobrovski went from Philly cast off to a Vezina, Toronto made the playoffs, Edmonton didn't pick first, etc. Nothing made sense this past season, and Gagner going back to being the player he always has been would not be a surprise.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:16 AM
  #102
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
People keep trotting out Gagner's last season like he's an all star (and FYI, 38 points in 48 games isn't actually PPG; though you may have been talking about a power play goal because nothing you say makes any sense anyway). Gagner is the type of player that would have to outscore Stastny by a dozen points before you could even make an argument that he has more value because he has no other facets to his game, though even then it'd be a hard sell. He's awful defensively, not physical, can't win a face off, and wildly inconsistent.

His last season could be a fluke, anything can happen in half a season. Subban went from a very good defenseman to a Norris winner, Bobrovski went from Philly cast off to a Vezina, Toronto made the playoffs, Edmonton didn't pick first, etc. Nothing made sense this past season, and Gagner going back to being the player he always has been would not be a surprise.
You're right. His last season could've been a fluke. Why dont we instead look at his P/G over the last two seasons then. He is still 23 and also has growth years left. We also have a few years now to really gauge what type of player Stastny has settled into being every year. Let us not forget this.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:52 AM
  #103
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post


You got me. I suppose we'll have to settle on 30 goal scorer. I'm just glad that you decided to challenge me on that front and none of the other points I made that tore up Statsny like an arbitration hearing.
As an Oiler fan . I have this to say Stastny is over paid , but is worth 3 time what N Schultz is and Schultz is also over paid . There was a reason the Wild fans were happy to get rid of him .
Also the Avs fan are right Stastny gets you a first plus at the trade dead line . Maybe you are thinking about our own Hemsky , then you are right we will be lucky to get something of value for him.
Sorry Avs fans there are some Canadian that do not know hockey or how to search the net to see values at the trade dead lines .


On a side note I look forward to battle the Avs in the near future as our young D men develop and make the jump to the NHL . We will both have power house teams . Good luck .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:04 AM
  #104
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
$6.6M for a waning center who barely put up more points than Gagner and is coming up to UFA has value?

On what planet?
A contender puts more value on a cup then on the 2 million Stastny would cost and a later first rd pick and a prospect . How don't you get that ? I hope this helps


Stastny and a Cup > Then 2 million dollars Salary at the trade deadline , a 1st rd pick and a prospect .

A GM may even pay more if he believes adding a 2 way centre puts him over the top or the team had a centre get injured and is out for all the playoffs

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:20 AM
  #105
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
I love the logic.

If Gagner is awarded too much money he will an overpaid mediocre 2C so they will trade him for a top pairing D. Meanwhile Stastny is an overpaid high end 2C bu he will only return a cap dump in the form of one of the worst players on one of the worst teams in the league.

If Colorado wanted to move Stastny there are a half dozen teams (at least) they could call up and have Stastny on a bus to for a better return within 5 minutes.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:36 AM
  #106
seancolorado
Registered User
 
seancolorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Thank you for logic. People seem to not understand that he is a very high end, quality, intelligent player. He is just overpaid ≠ (does not equal to) mediocre player, overpaid, and easily dumpable by Colorado

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:47 AM
  #107
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,165
vCash: 50
It's hard finding a trade that works between these teams and Nick Schultz would certainly not be part of it. There are significantly better defenders available for free that Avs have decided they won't pursue, which should tell you how they feel about a player like that.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:15 AM
  #108
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,056
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Holy cow. We'd be incredibly blessed to get a decent 3rd line winger for Schultz. Where on earth does he get us a 2nd line center?

And as for Gagner, correct me if I'm wrong but you're not allowed to trade a players rights after the arbitration decision has been made...

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:58 AM
  #109
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,972
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Holy cow. We'd be incredibly blessed to get a decent 3rd line winger for Schultz. Where on earth does he get us a 2nd line center?

And as for Gagner, correct me if I'm wrong but you're not allowed to trade a players rights after the arbitration decision has been made...
I had the same thought but didn't find anything in a quick glance at the CBA (unless I missed it). It is probably just offersheets that have that have it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:59 AM
  #110
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Holy cow. We'd be incredibly blessed to get a decent 3rd line winger for Schultz. Where on earth does he get us a 2nd line center?

And as for Gagner, correct me if I'm wrong but you're not allowed to trade a players rights after the arbitration decision has been made...
That's the way it was before, not sure what the new CBA says about it. I assume it's still the same.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:11 AM
  #111
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
That's the way it was before, not sure what the new CBA says about it. I assume it's still the same.
Actually it never was that way in the last CBA either. It is a CBA urban myth. There are no restrictions on trading players after an arbitration decision.

I would have no problem giving Colorado the 2014 1st for Stastny and a prospect like Musil and N. Schultz if they like provided he would be willing to resign. Stastny is exactly the type of 2-way center the Oilers need to complement RNH.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:53 AM
  #112
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,823
vCash: 545
I think Colorado would want to start with Justin Schultz.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
  #113
tony d
The franchise
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,239
vCash: 500
I think acquiring Paul Stastny would cost the Oilers their 2014 1st and Oscar Klefbom.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:56 AM
  #114
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
What I don't get is if Staz sucks so much and is so worthless in trade, why the Avs can't just hold onto him and try to extend the man?

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  #115
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think acquiring Paul Stastny would cost the Oilers their 2014 1st and Oscar Klefbom.
What a steal for the Oil!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:04 AM
  #116
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think acquiring Paul Stastny would cost the Oilers their 2014 1st and Oscar Klefbom.
I think you are way off the mark. Nick Schultz would be an underpayment no doubt but Klefbom AND 2014 1st is as brutal the other way around.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:04 AM
  #117
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
Gagner is resigned. Looks like Edmonton doesn't need the great Stastny at the moment. Maybe at the trade deadline we'll offer our 2014 1st plus Klefbom to have him play on our 4th line.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  #118
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Well to be fair... the counter of Klefa+1st wasnt made by an Avs fan.. No need to take shots at Statsny..

Statsny should bounce back but with ROR\ Duchene around and the addition of McKinnon he might not get a proper chance to get his game back on track as a top 6 C.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  #119
seancolorado
Registered User
 
seancolorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
What I don't get is if Staz sucks so much and is so worthless in trade, why the Avs can't just hold onto him and try to extend the man?
Because apparently he sucks so much that it's in our best interest to get rid of him for spare parts

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
  #120
seancolorado
Registered User
 
seancolorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Well to be fair... the counter of Klefa+1st wasnt made by an Avs fan.. No need to take shots at Statsny..

Statsny should bounce back but with ROR\ Duchene around and the addition of McKinnon he might not get a proper chance to get his game back on track as a top 6 C.
Agreed. Roy is going to see what he gets out of Stastny before pulling the trigger early in the season

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:52 AM
  #121
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,613
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think acquiring Paul Stastny would cost the Oilers their 2014 1st and Oscar Klefbom.
That would be just awful for the Oilers.



And it's also nice to see some reasonable Oiler fans in this thread not calling Stastny worthless or thinking N.Schultz is fair value.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
  #122
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
That's the way it was before, not sure what the new CBA says about it. I assume it's still the same.
As long as I remember, it's never been that way. A player can be traded tomorrow.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
  #123
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Forget how good Stastny is. Who on earth wants a #2C for 6.6 million a year?
No. One. No way he is worth any decent peace. Im seeing people suggest J. Shultz. You're completely insane.
Also, N. Schultz is worthless (at least the Schultz of the 2012-13 season).

I don't think Stastny is worthless, I just don't think he's worth a solid piece despite being a good player. He's overpaid and has regressed consistently for a few seasons.


Last edited by Neatman: 07-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
  #124
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
That would be just awful for the Oilers.



And it's also nice to see some reasonable Oiler fans in this thread not calling Stastny worthless or thinking N.Schultz is fair value.
I'm shocked at how civil this thread has been. Yes, Paul Stastny is over paid by about 1-1.25 million but so is Nick Schultz and the two aren't comparable at all

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  #125
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,129
vCash: 500
I'd love Statsny. Hes just too pricey.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.