HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread: Limited Clifford and Gagner edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 02:50 AM
  #326
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,320
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Hall turned 16 within a month into his first OHL season - but he still started the year as a 15yr old.

McDavid went a solid 3-4 months as a 15yr old in his 1st season. Maybe that's why it required "exceptional status"?
No he was exceptional status because he was 15 at end of calendar year Hall was 16 at end of calendar year.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 02:54 AM
  #327
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,421
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
It's pretty tough for us to watch him play anywhere other than the Internet, him being in Ontario junior and us being in edmonton.
He was on Friday night hockey on Sportsnet at least once or twice I believe. He was also in one or two tourney's that were televised locally.

The opportunity is there if you are looking for it.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 03:05 AM
  #328
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,421
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
It's not like people are arguing that he will for sure grow. It's just that saying he's too small for the nhl at 16 is quite ridiculous. I think the posters that are arguing the point that he may grow are just saying that until he stops growing, we should wait to comment.
Well that's exactly what they are saying. They may be right. But right NOW he is smallish when compared to the players (who are older) in his league. He is listed at 5'11" 170lbs on db. I would think that is stretching it on both accounts. What Im saying, is that size would be the only stumbling block for McDavid. And that is not certain by any means given his age. But it is the reality atm. Even if he doesnt grow at all, it may not affect him much. He is that good.

People doubted Gretzky, too skinny yada yada, but that didnt deter him from being the best player in the history of the game.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 03:08 AM
  #329
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
lol at people saying mcdavid isnt going to be that good.....hes gonna be better than all of our kids....except maybe hall

Psychoil is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 03:16 AM
  #330
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,320
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
lol at people saying mcdavid isnt going to be that good.....hes gonna be better than all of our kids....except maybe hall
What are the 649 numbers next week? Listen I am sure he will be good but a ppg at 16 is not some unheard of even RNH did that .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:34 AM
  #331
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well that's exactly what they are saying. They may be right. But right NOW he is smallish when compared to the players (who are older) in his league. He is listed at 5'11" 170lbs on db. I would think that is stretching it on both accounts. What Im saying, is that size would be the only stumbling block for McDavid. And that is not certain by any means given his age. But it is the reality atm. Even if he doesnt grow at all, it may not affect him much. He is that good.

People doubted Gretzky, too skinny yada yada, but that didnt deter him from being the best player in the history of the game.
Size will not be an issue with McDavid. He is like McKinnon in that respect. Very strong for his age and size and he does not shy away from contact. That said I would say that he is all of 5"11 170lbs. In fact he looked a little heavier than that to me.

I watched him from row 10 against the Rangers. The Rangers played him hard but he gave every bit as much as he took. Kitchener also ahd some good sized defenders. McDavid won most of the battles with these guys as he is not only fiarly strong but he has great abalnace and great hands. He is in my opinion the best junior I have ever seen in person. He is also very defensively responsible. The kid will be a gem.


Last edited by Fourier: 07-22-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Fourier is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
  #332
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,261
vCash: 500
can we please sign a 4th line center already, hell it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign 2 of them.

Koto is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  #333
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 1017
With Sammy's contract out of the way it's time to discuss the elephant in the room.

Should MacT extend RNH now at 6 million or wait until next summer? I'm a huge believer in RNH and believe he is the best of the kids...I'd be willing to take the "risk" and give him the Taylor Hall contract.

OilerFan4Life is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
  #334
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
With Sammy's contract out of the way it's time to discuss the elephant in the room.

Should MacT extend RNH now at 6 million or wait until next summer? I'm a huge believer in RNH and believe he is the best of the kids...I'd be willing to take the "risk" and give him the Taylor Hall contract.
Wait until Christmas time at least and see how he's playing. If he gets off to a good start, yes, $6 mill/7 year extension.

Soundwave is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
  #335
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,887
vCash: 500
I think the McDavid talk has gone on long enough. This is the rumors and proposals thread, not the tank 2015 thread.

s7ark is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:27 AM
  #336
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Wait until Christmas time at least and see how he's playing. If he gets off to a good start, yes, $6 mill/7 year extension.
If he gets off to a good start and there are signs that HRR will explode and the cap will increase to 67-70 million, his agent will be asking for 7 million.

OilerFan4Life is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:30 AM
  #337
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
can we please sign a 4th line center already, hell it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign 2 of them.
Yah... feel bad for Lander but we need another 4th liner..
Getting Steckel on PTO should be a great option.. dont use up a contract and let Steckel, Acton, Smyth and Lander duke it out.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:30 AM
  #338
s7ark
Moderator
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If he gets off to a good start and there are signs that HRR will explode and the cap will increase to 67-70 million, his agent will be asking for 7 million.
He would probably have to be on a 90 point pace to get 7M.

s7ark is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:37 AM
  #339
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If he gets off to a good start and there are signs that HRR will explode and the cap will increase to 67-70 million, his agent will be asking for 7 million.
Salary cap was over 70M when Hall and Ebs signed the extensions.. Unless RNH is close to PPG he wont be asking for 7M.. I actually hope we do a bridge contract with him ala MTL with Subban and PHI with Couturier..
Unless he agrees to 5M\yr there is no rush to get him signed at this point... Let him play ~20 games and see how dominant he is before locking him up. I cant see him command more than Hall if his production isnt on par with him.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:41 AM
  #340
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Salary cap was over 70M when Hall and Ebs signed the extensions.. Unless RNH is close to PPG he wont be asking for 7M.. I actually hope we do a bridge contract with him ala MTL with Subban and PHI with Couturier..
Unless he agrees to 5M\yr there is no rush to get him signed at this point... Let him play ~20 games and see how dominant he is before locking him up. I cant see him command more than Hall if his production isnt on par with him.
Exactly. In some ways, he might be our most important prospect if he does develop into that Sakic/Datsyuk type player, but he's not there yet.

dustrock is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:52 AM
  #341
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 1017
Duchene probably set the bar for RNH but ROR's next contract will be worth monitoring too. A more complete player than Duchene...more comparable to RNH

OilerFan4Life is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
  #342
MeestaDeteta
Registered User
 
MeestaDeteta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 7,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
With Sammy's contract out of the way it's time to discuss the elephant in the room.

Should MacT extend RNH now at 6 million or wait until next summer? I'm a huge believer in RNH and believe he is the best of the kids...I'd be willing to take the "risk" and give him the Taylor Hall contract.
I'd sign him to an identical deal to Hall. Some risk, but if he comes back and plays lights out, the price will go up and may skew our salary structure.

MeestaDeteta is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
  #343
RisingSun
Punky's Whips
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,691
vCash: 50
The way some guys talk about the future salary cap makes me think that we may need a couple of guys to take a home town discount. Every good team has them, I can't see how the oilers can afford to not have them.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  #344
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
And I didn't grow a mm...
yeah it's so variable from person to person

i was freakishly tall as a young boy, and then didn't grow one centimeter after the age of 13 (i'm 5'10" now).... i was about 5'10" and 125 pounds as a 13 year old though, so exceedingly skinny... i was almost 200 pounds by the time i was 18

people are different, expecting mcdavid to grow the same as anybody else is folly

jadeddog is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:03 AM
  #345
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He would probably have to be on a 90 point pace to get 7M.
Also, I dont think he would want to seperate himself from the 'kids' and get the spot light on himself. After see'ing what happened to Horcoff it would be a lot easier if it were the 'the big 4' making 6M each than 'Nuge n co.' with Nuge becoming the lightning rod due to his contract.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:23 AM
  #346
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,444
vCash: 500
I'd give RNH/Yak each 7 year 6 mil deals if they score around 70ish points next season. That way we will only have to deal with one looming UFA each season. Eberle in 2019, Hall in 2020, RNH, in 2021, and Yak in 2022. It's a much less intimidating scenario than having to deal with Hall/RNH or Hall/Yak's contracts in the same season like Getzlaf/Perry this year.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
  #347
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
If he gets off to a good start and there are signs that HRR will explode and the cap will increase to 67-70 million, his agent will be asking for 7 million.
.. and if he remains around the .5 ppg that he was scoring at this season he wont get half of that. He's our property until he hits UFA status until he proves he's an elite talent he's not getting a deal that pays him like one. There's no risk to letting him play out this season and then signing a contract. If he shows he deserves the big pay day he'll get it but if he doesnt return from surgery the player he was I dont want to be stuck with a boat anchor of a contract for 6-8 years.

Halibut is online now  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:40 AM
  #348
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
.. and if he remains around the .5 ppg that he was scoring at this season he wont get half of that. He's our property until he hits UFA status until he proves he's an elite talent he's not getting a deal that pays him like one. There's no risk to letting him play out this season and then signing a contract. If he shows he deserves the big pay day he'll get it but if he doesnt return from surgery the player he was I dont want to be stuck with a boat anchor of a contract for 6-8 years.
offersheets... Not many #1Cs around in the game and it only takes one crazy GM who is under pressure to make a splash.. If Nuge hits RFA and signs a 9Mx10yr offersheet from a playoffs team... do we match or do we let him go for 4 late 1sts?

Petro Points is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:46 AM
  #349
nhlisajoke
Registered User
 
nhlisajoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Nick Kypreos‏@RealKyper12m
Told Gagner new #Oilers 3 deal includes no move in year 2 only. They do have the freedom to trade his rights in yr 1 and yr 3 of the deal.

nhlisajoke is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:48 AM
  #350
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlisajoke View Post
Nick Kypreos‏@RealKyper12m
Told Gagner new #Oilers 3 deal includes no move in year 2 only. They do have the freedom to trade his rights in yr 1 and yr 3 of the deal.
fair enough... some security\stability for the kid .. and plenty of flexibilty for MacT.

Petro Points is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.