HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sean Couturier signs extension with Flyers (2 years, $1.75M AAV)

Old
07-21-2013, 05:50 PM
jarmoismyhero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
I think that comment was a bit overboard but I think when everyone is evaluating this contract they are thinking of Couturier's potential. It's a fair deal right now but if he plays superb these next two years (how Flyers fans expect him to), it should end up being a great contract.
I agree and I don't think it's a bad deal, compared to some contracts it is very good but this offseason the dman are the only great contracts( Josi, Hamonic, Shattenkirk, and Voynov).

Couts next contract should be his payday if he is put in the top 6.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:58 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Probably but not at the price where it would have been impossible for the Flyers to match.

Couturier isn't worth much more than ~1.75M right now. Good deal for both sides.
This

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Tripod

Only on these boards is Couts a bust.

2011....Picked 8th overall....3rd overall in points for his draft year. All while being arguably the best defensive player from that draft.

2010....only 5 people from this draft year have more points than Couts so far.

So in 2 draft years combined, he is 8th in scroring and probabaly the best defensive forward. Yet he is a bust and a career 3rd liner. I guess Philly should have kept him in the minors to dominate players younger than him like: Strome, Scheifle, Jenner, Schwartz, Bjugstad, Coyle, etc... did.

With the additions of Vinny and Hall, Couts should not be taking many defensive zone faceoffs next year. That alone should help his stats. Next year is when he takes the step up to a 35-45 point guy. The up to 40-60 after that.

Nothing wrong with bring him along slow offensively AS LONG AS they still put him in positions to succeed.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

2011....Picked 8th overall....3rd overall in points for his draft year. All while being arguably the best defensive player from that draft.

So in 2 draft years combined, he is 8th in scroring and probabaly the best defensive forward. Yet he is a bust and a career 3rd liner. I guess Philly should have kept him in the minors to dominate players younger than him like: Strome, Scheifle, Jenner, Schwartz, Bjugstad, Coyle, etc... did.

With the additions of Vinny and Hall, Couts should not be taking many defensive zone faceoffs next year. That alone should help his stats. Next year is when he takes the step up to a 35-45 point guy. The up to 40-60 after that.

Nothing wrong with bring him along slow offensively AS LONG AS they still put him in positions to succeed.
Schwartz played college hockey and was not ready to come up...he is an offensive player and there is no point in wasting a year at the NHL level...Couts gets a bad wrap from some because of how overhyped he is by some...I hear Flyers fans (not all) saying they wouldn't trade him for this dman or that dman and in some cases it's insane. Perfect case was someone a while ago saying that Couts for Kulilikov would not be fair at all for the Flyers.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

There's no need to be dramatic, you know very well if he doesn't produce offensively again next year there will be people in the Flyers fanbase who start to turn on him bit too.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Schwartz played college hockey and was not ready to come up...he is an offensive player and there is no point in wasting a year at the NHL level...Couts gets a bad wrap from some because of how overhyped he is by some...I hear Flyers fans (not all) saying they wouldn't trade him for this dman or that dman and in some cases it's insane. Perfect case was someone a while ago saying that Couts for Kulilikov would not be fair at all for the Flyers.
That is the point. Couts now is considered OVERHYPED by Flyer fans because he has been used in a defensive role. A role that other drafted players his draft year could not do. If Couts went back to the Q and got 100 points, then played in the AHL this past year and was PPG, fans would be FAWNING over him, like Strome for example. Yet Couts is pegged as having little offensive upside now.

As for Kulikov...I would trade them 1 for 1. I think it is a fair deal.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
And when I see a Flyers' fan talk about Couturier, they generally assume he's going to make the 7 teams that passed on him regret it. Time will tell how good this signing is- that's all.
I have never seen a Flyers fan suggest that. The top 4 that draft year are all very good, and #6 and #9 have already shown they are quality NHL players.

We are just happy with Couturier because he's fulfills an extremely valuable role on the team, and has shown enough offensive potential to give us hope he could one day be a Selke nominee.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
I hear Flyers fans (not all) saying they wouldn't trade him for this dman or that dman and in some cases it's insane. Perfect case was someone a while ago saying that Couts for Kulilikov would not be fair at all for the Flyers.
Well IMO Kulikov is a bit overrated and he has had troubles of staying healthy. Im not a Couts fan or anything but he has the potential to be the kind of player any team would kill to have, anyone calling him a bust at this point are insane. So have to say i agree with the Flyers fans. Rather wait and see what Couts will become.

As for the contract i think its a great deal.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
There's no need to be dramatic, you know very well if he doesn't produce offensively again next year there will be people in the Flyers fanbase who start to turn on him bit too.
You are 100% correct. Everyone expected more from Couturier after a strong playoffs in 2012 and a PPG performance in the AHL during the lockout on a horrendous team. If Couturier doesn't come out this year and make some offensive strides (something in the 40+ area), the casual fans will turn on him like they did JVR.

Last edited by Broad Street Elite: 07-21-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Unstable

LOVE IT!!!

Way to go Homer.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:17 PM
ChikN

Wow great contract for the Flyers! Couts is already a good player that will only get better! He reminds me alot Lars Eller with better offensive potential.

ChikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
I don't get this...he was 20 years old and is a number 3 center at the moment and its only 2 years... To me it seems right where it should be for a player like him.
The reason this contract is so mind-boggling is because Couturier just had a lackluster sophomore season and is still signed for one more year on his ELC. Why would any player give up the chance on a bounce back or break out season and sign a two year extension almost a full year before he has to? Even if Couturier doesn't develop offensively at all, he's still worth $1.75M. However, if Couturier scores 45 points next year, he'd likely be looking at an extra $2M over that same two year contract.

As minor as this seems to some of you, I'm sure the NHLPA isn't too happy about this, as this definitely isn't a precedent they want set.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:05 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Homer's the worst GM ever.

The internet said so.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:23 PM
bruinsfan46

Got super hyped up to almost mythical proportions over his 2012 playoff series against the Penguins. Failed to live up to the hype this season but he's still an effective player and that is a pretty cheap deal which could look very good.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:28 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Got super hyped up to almost mythical proportions over his 2012 playoff series against the Penguins. Failed to live up to the hype this season but he's still an effective player and that is a pretty cheap deal which could look very good.
He hasnt been given ample opportunity to succeed. This year he will finally show his offensive talents and score 40-50 points. People forget he already had 30 at 18-19 years old while playing strictly on the 4th line and no power play time. Hes playing 3C this year and wont be playing with guys like Rinaldo and Rosehill...he is going to make a lot of people on this site look really stupid, but it shouldnt come as a surprise at this point.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:24 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Very good contract. He's a very good, young 2 way centre who's obviously still going to develop and get better. This is a cheap contract even if he plateaus. If he has a great couple years ahead... which he should... this deal is a downright steal.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:53 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

How's that richards trade working out for you guys now? Is couts gonna be the 2nd or 3rd center on philly? Just wondering since schenn seems to have turned into a grinder and can fight. Sweet!

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
How's that richards trade working out for you guys now? Is couts gonna be the 2nd or 3rd center on philly? Just wondering since schenn seems to have turned into a grinder and can fight. Sweet!
Considering Simmonds alone has out produced Richards the last two seasons at a fraction of the cap hit, I'd say its worked out fine for us.

And Schenn is pretty much at the same stage in his development as Richie was at this point in his career.

Richards
Age 20: .43 PPG
Age 21: .54 PPG

Schenn:
Age 20: .33 PPG
Age 21: .55 PPG

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
He is moving along at the same pace was Richards was early on in his career. Richards was dreadful in his sophomore season in Philadelphia.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:56 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
We don't need to dissect other moves made by the Flyers in this thread. Let's stay the course and discuss this solid signing.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Curufinwe

Couturier will be the 3C.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:21 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
HF Boards before the signing:
Couturier is going to get offer sheeted or the Flyers will have to overpay to keep him."

HF Boards after the signing:
"Nobody would have offer sheeted him anyway and that low cap hit just shows how much Couturier sucks!"

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Codith

Couturier can't be that bad if he is the first player wanted by any team when a trade rumor surfaces.

Teams know he will be a regular Selke nom for many years to come down the road. He also happens to be good offensively, just hasn't made the transition yet to the NHL. Doesn't help he has been given minutes primarily with guys like Rinaldo.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I really liked Mike and was a huge fan of Jeff's. That being said, as I have stated before.....I drive them both to the airport for free. Hopefully you always want a trade to work out for both parties and to me it worked out for the Flyers. They now had picks and very young building blocks to start anew. To get Nick Cousins, Nick Grossmann, Sean Couturier, Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and Jake Voracek for Mike and Jeff, well for me it's a no brainer. To look where the Flyers were talent wise just two seasons ago and to see the young prospects they are stockpiling, the future is indeed bright. Thanks for asking the question.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Considering Simmonds alone has out produced Richards the last two seasons at a fraction of the cap hit, I'd say its worked out fine for us.

And Schenn is pretty much at the same stage in his development as Richie was at this point in his career.

Richards
Age 20: .43 PPG
Age 21: .54 PPG

Schenn:
Age 20: .33 PPG
Age 21: .55 PPG
Not to mention that Schenn himself was only outscorded by Richards by 6 points. Oh and Philly got Grossmann with the pick in that deal as well. So yeah, Simmonds, Schenn and Grossmann have done quite well as a return for Richards.

Small prediction here: B.Schenn will outscore M.Richards this coming year.