HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Hodgson be booed in Vancouver?

Old
07-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I mean there is no weakness in his game that is not correctable. So, he could hit 80-90 and maybe even 100+. I think we are on the same page and arguing relatively about semantics.

I should add he was a great 2-way centre in Brampton. No reason he couldn't be in Buffalo with some hard work.
Based purely on what he exhibited in Vancouver, I'm capping him at a 35g-90p player.

Cerebral offensive player with a superb shot. Good positioning, good passing.

Doesn't have the game breaking physique or skating to hit triple digits, unless he finds himself on a ridiculously stacked team.

Anyway, he was poor defensively during his time in Vancouver. He's a very offensive minded player, looking to get by on defense and sometimes even cheating to create chances.

Not sure how much he's changed since I've watched him about 0 times since the trade, but I can't imagine his skating going from sub-par to above average in the span of a single season.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Wisp

I'm still going to boo him.

Last edited by Wisp: 07-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Anyway, no point discussing Hodgson's potential here. If I was around I'd probably boo him.

Not a fan of what he allegedly did in Vancouver.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Amused To Death

vCash: 1335
Regardless of Hodgson's offensive prowess, his GA when he was on ice was phenomenal. Wasn't he on pace for something like 100 GA by mid-season? That's pretty atrocious of him in his own zone.

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:49 AM
opendoor

Hodgson scores at a 55 point pace while riding Vanek's coattails and now he's going to put up 100 points?

If Winter does manage to weasel an expensive contract out of Regeir he can thank his lucky stars that the season didn't last longer. Over the last 1/3rd of the season Hodgson was only scoring at a 30 point pace which marked the 2nd year in a row he had a terrible finish.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:40 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Based purely on what he exhibited in Vancouver, I'm capping him at a 35g-90p player.

Cerebral offensive player with a superb shot. Good positioning, good passing.

Doesn't have the game breaking physique or skating to hit triple digits, unless he finds himself on a ridiculously stacked team.

Anyway, he was poor defensively during his time in Vancouver. He's a very offensive minded player, looking to get by on defense and sometimes even cheating to create chances.

Not sure how much he's changed since I've watched him about 0 times since the trade, but I can't imagine his skating going from sub-par to above average in the span of a single season.
His skating has improved significantly after working with Gary Roberts last summer. It is no longer a hindrance and was the one weakness really holding him back when we first got him. I would put it at maybe slightly below average. He's never going to be a speedster but at least now it isn't slowing him down.

He does need to get stronger as that is what resulted in trouble in the defensive zone last year, but he is still 23. But, he does still need to spend a lot of time improving his own zone.

I'm not sure if he ever will hit 100 points, but there is no longer any single flaw preventing him from doing so, like before he improved his skating.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:47 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Hodgson scores at a 55 point pace while riding Vanek's coattails and now he's going to put up 100 points?

If Winter does manage to weasel an expensive contract out of Regeir he can thank his lucky stars that the season didn't last longer. Over the last 1/3rd of the season Hodgson was only scoring at a 30 point pace which marked the 2nd year in a row he had a terrible finish.
If you're going to round, at least do it up, as the actual pace was slightly over 58 points .

Anyways, Hodgson considerably helped Vanek's numbers. It went both ways. And he was ahead of Pominville who was also on that line until he was traded. He wasn't dead weight (like Luke Adam the year before on that line).

I said he has the potential to put up 100 points now that his skating has improved. Not saying he will, but if he can put up almost 60 points in his 2nd season with his IQ and skillset I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities.

Old
07-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
If you're going to round, at least do it up, as the actual pace was slightly over 58 points .

Anyways, Hodgson considerably helped Vanek's numbers. It went both ways. And he was ahead of Pominville who was also on that line until he was traded. He wasn't dead weight (like Luke Adam the year before on that line).

I said he has the potential to put up 100 points now that his skating has improved. Not saying he will, but if he can put up almost 60 points in his 2nd season with his IQ and skillset I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities.

Only Evgeni Malkin and Daniel Sedin have cracked 100 points the last two years. Possible? Sure, in the sense that all things are possible, given the right factors. Probable? Nope.

As to the "booing". I think everyone here has judged Hodgson's character along their own standards, and have their opinions. For me, there's enough outside evidence to deride Hodgy. Winters, Oake, Friedmann, Willis, Gallagher each have brought insight into the situation. There's enough there to form an opinion. Sure, I will boo him, but probably just as afterthought.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Only Evgeni Malkin and Daniel Sedin have cracked 100 points the last two years. Possible? Sure, in the sense that all things are possible, given the right factors. Probable? Nope.
I agree it is unlikely, but it is in his potential. It could happen with his improved skating, skillset and hockey IQ. I said the sky is the limit. Not that he is going to achieve everything under the sky. For what it's worth he is ahead of Daniel Sedin's point totals at his age.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I agree it is unlikely, but it is in his potential. It could happen with his improved skating, skillset and hockey IQ. I said the sky is the limit. Not that he is going to achieve everything under the sky. For what it's worth he is ahead of Daniel Sedin's point totals at his age.

A lot of players were ahead of DS via age comparison. They bloomed very late, by normal standards.

Again, "could happen" doesn't mean anything. One can justify anything by saying it could happen. Will it happen? Very, very doubtful. Just like it is very, very doubtful for the majority of the league's players to crack 100 points. It just doesn't happen to any degree of certainty.

To hedge my bets, I'm gonna say no, it doesn't happen for Cody. I'm banking on the sample of what has occurred before, and say he is extremely unlikely to reach that total. As in, he won't. Likely not even 90 points. Nor 80. 70 I can see. 60 even more so, but he will never hit 100.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Improved his skating? I watched probably ten Sabres games and he hasn't improved his skating since being drafted. He'll never be a center a team wins with. To weak, slow and feable. Ya hell put up 60 points but he'll be on for more goals against than for. Your post is laughable. Sky is the limit?? He wot be a first line center there for long.
He's improved his skating since he was drafted even when he was here.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:38 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
A lot of players were ahead of DS via age comparison. They bloomed very late, by normal standards.

Again, "could happen" doesn't mean anything. One can justify anything by saying it could happen. Will it happen? Very, very doubtful. Just like it is very, very doubtful for the majority of the league's players to crack 100 points. It just doesn't happen to any degree of certainty.

To hedge my bets, I'm gonna say no, it doesn't happen for Cody. I'm banking on the sample of what has occurred before, and say he is extremely unlikely to reach that total. As in, he won't. Likely not even 90 points. Nor 80. 70 I can see. 60 even more so, but he will never hit 100.
For all intents and purposes he has already hit 60. In his 2nd year. After 41 in his 1st year. I could see 80-90. And I could even see 100 in a year. Not many players in the league could reach 100, even if things broke well for them. I think Cody could under the right conditions.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
For all intents and purposes he has already hit 60. In his 2nd year. After 41 in his 1st year. I could see 80-90. And I could even see 100 in a year. Not many players in the league could reach 100, even if things broke well for them. I think Cody could under the right conditions.

He's hit 60 when he's hit 60. Pace is great if a player has done it before. If he hasn't, then that's all it is. As opendoor points out, his production tailed at the end of the season. He'll need to maintain consistency for him to start nearing PPG over a full 82 game season. He's not there.

And with the rest I flat out disagree. He will never hit 100 points. Im going out on a limb saying he wil never do it, because im banking against extreme possibilities. I very much doubt even 90 points. A PPG pace? Maybe, but I think 80 might be a stretch. His skillset is that of a 60-70 point 1way C. Hes too slow, small and too much of a shoot first player to reasonably expect more. Finally, He will never hit 100 points.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
He's hit 60 when he's hit 60. Pace is great if a player has done it before. If he hasn't, then that's all it is. As opendoor points out, his production tailed at the end of the season. He'll need to maintain consistency for him to start nearing PPG over a full 82 game season. He's not there.

And with the rest I flat out disagree. He will never hit 100 points. Im going out on a limb saying he wil never do it, because im banking against extreme possibilities. I very much doubt even 90 points. A PPG pace? Maybe, but I think 80 might be a stretch. His skillset is that of a 60-70 point 1way C. Hes too slow, small and too much of a shoot first player to reasonably expect more. Finally, He will never hit 100 points.
Alright. Well, I think we both have our thoughts on where Hodgson will end up and what type of player he is (and have both fully expressed them). Let's leave the rest up to Hodgson to prove who is right. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to watch him over the next few years. At least, he will be coming out West once a year for you guys now.

Enjoy Kassian. He can be a fun player when he puts his mind to it. Hopefully, he develops into everything you hope him to be.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Shareefruck

I'd be surprised if he didn't hit ppg at some point. Playing on a great line like he is now, I could see 90 points

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm sorry but Hodgson won't ever touch 100 points.

07-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I'd be surprised if he didn't hit ppg at some point. Playing on a great line like he is now, I could see 90 points
Depends on whether the Sabres coach wants that line to continue bleeding goals against. More attention to the preventing goals will have an effect on the offense (as it would on any player).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:41 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Burrows View Post
I'm sorry but Hodgson won't ever touch 100 points.
Time will tell. Possibly not, but he's almost 60% of the way there and still a long ways from reaching his potential (offensively and defensively).