HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
If you took that 1 game where he had 9 points (??) his numbers would have been even worse. That game made him an few extra million on his contract.
That was in 2011-2012 and it was 8 pts.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Lol. Not sure if you're serious..
Did the 9pt game happen in the half season? If so, its equivalent to 16 or 17 points when calculating his pace on a full season. Anyways this contract shows the desharnais contract is not nearly as bad as people here make it out to be.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:19 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Did the 9pt game happen in the half season? If so, its equivalent to 16 or 17 points when calculating his pace on a full season. Anyways this contract shows the desharnais contract is not nearly as bad as people here make it out to be.
It's not the money on the DD contract people have a problem with, it's the length and the player himself.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:31 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
That was in 2011-2012 and it was 8 pts.
Still, if not for that one game, he would have had a 39 point season rather than a 47 point season. Definately pimped his resume a bit.

Bottom line is that Gagne getting that deal distorts the market for all the other barely 2nd line centres and drives up the price. They would have been better off trading him for a pick and/or prospect and signing Grabs for less than $4MM, who has waay better numbers than Gagne does.

Gagne at $4.8 makes DD at $3.5 look like a steal and that's saying a lot!

Old
07-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's not the money on the DD contract people have a problem with, it's the length and the player himself.
I agree. It's the length of Daid Desharnais that's the problem.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Pfffft, all we have to do is get Jason Missiaen in net and get Darren Pang to cover his five hole for him
Pang knows how to play the "white way" so he should get a look too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Revisiting the Team Canada goalie debate from a couple of pages back, some of this "Price is a lock, Crawford/Luongo/Smith can barely feed themselves" stuff is embarrassing. Please don't take it outside the Habs' board, for the sake of the rest of us...
Key term being 'was'. Price opened the door with his collapse late last season.

As for those other guys not being able to feed themselves, I'm sorry to hear that they've fallen on hard times.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Gagne at $4.8 makes DD at $3.5 look like a steal and that's saying a lot!
Gagne is worth (at least?) $2 million/year more than DD imo (we're talking leagues apart in terms of "calibre"), meaning Gagne at $4.8 still makes $3.5 for DD look like an overpayment to me. That's how bad I think DD's contract is.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Miller Time

not crazy about either deal, but I'd prefer the 24-year old Gagner for 3yrs @ 4.8M$, than the 27-year old Desharnais for 4 years @ 3.5M$.

Gagner hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but is coming off of a, pro-rated, 60-65pt season, is more versatile, and has a higher ceiling...

if anything, Desharnais contract probably helped him get the contract that he did.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Gagne is worth (at least?) $2 million/year more than DD imo (we're talking leagues apart in terms of "calibre"), meaning Gagne at $4.8 still makes $3.5 for DD look like an overpayment to me. That's how bad I think DD's contract is.
How? They're the exact same player except Gagner 5'11 instead of 5'6. They're both horrible defensively, they both have a pass first mentality and they're both soft. At least Desharnais has had a good season in the past (2011-2012), Gagner has done squat except have a game where everything went his way. Imo, Gagner and DD are worth about the same, between $3,000,000 and $3,500,000.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:10 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
not crazy about either deal, but I'd prefer the 24-year old Gagner for 3yrs @ 4.8M$, than the 27-year old Desharnais for 4 years @ 3.5M$.

Gagner hasn't lived up to his potential yet, but is coming off of a, pro-rated, 60-65pt season, is more versatile, and has a higher ceiling...

if anything, Desharnais contract probably helped him get the contract that he did.
Only problem with what you're saying is that you'd pay Gagne more than DD because he has the potential to be a 60 point getter while DD already is a 60 point getter, or at least has done it already.

I'm no fan of his but at least he's had a good season. Gagne still has not and that on a team built on offense and hire powered scoring is an even bigger red flag for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The numbers tell a very different story. What exactly has Gane done to deserve $2MM more than DD?

I think you're hate for DD is clouding your judgement here. DD has done way more than Gagne has in his career thus far. Gagne has had 6 years inthe NHL and hasn't proven squat. At some point you stop paying for "potential" and pay the guy what he's worth. As your top 6 centre who's never broken 50 points, I'd say $3-3.5 is tops.

Quote:
How? They're the exact same player except Gagner 5'11 instead of 5'6. They're both horrible defensively, they both have a pass first mentality and they're both soft. At least Desharnais has had a good season in the past (2011-2012), Gagner has done squat except have a game where everything went his way. Imo, Gagner and DD are worth about the same, between $3,000,000 and $3,500,000.
Completely agree with you on this one. Same player except Gagne plays on an offensively minded team that wants to outscore the opposition.

Same player, different teams, similar results. One is even more overpaid than the other. Glad we have the smaller salary of the 2.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Jagr to Jersey from Pierre Lebrun. Can't wait for next year's Jagr to Montreal thread.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...29077045366785

Old
07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Jagr to Jersey from Pierre Lebrun. Can't wait for next year's Jagr to Montreal thread.

Looks like that Czech paper was right again last week...

Old
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
He used the Habs again. Poor sucker

Old
07-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
"Go on, take the money and run."

First thing that popped into my head.

Habs have just over $3 million left in cap space. No way does he settle for less than $4 million, which is likely what the Devils offered him on a one year deal. I wonder if this is his final contract and then he calls it a career.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Habs have just over $3 million left in cap space. No way does he settle for less than $4 million, which is likely what the Devils offered him on a one year deal. I wonder if this is his final contract and then he calls it a career.
No please no. I can't deal with NOT having a Jagr to Montreal thread next year.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Yammy's all about winning.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
No please no. I can't deal with NOT having a Jagr to Montreal thread next year.
They ARE entertaining but honestly, how much is left after this year? He's slow on his skates but can still handle the abuse of an NHL season, protect the puck with his body and provide offense, although that sort of teetered off in the playoffs. We'll see.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
This one is getting close to 1,000. Time to shut 'er down and open up the next edition!

Closed Thread