HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner Hockey Leagues in NYC

Old
07-22-2013, 11:14 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Beginner Hockey Leagues in NYC

I've recently transitioned from roller hockey to trying to play ice hockey this past winter. I took some adult learn to play classes, but my experience playing roller hockey actually kinda hurt me, since most drills were to help people with puckhandling skills and passing, where as I needed to refine my iceskating. Anyone know of a good league for beginners in preferably Brooklyn, LI or Queens? I don't want something where it's going to be a jumble of skill levels.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I've recently transitioned from roller hockey to trying to play ice hockey this past winter. I took some adult learn to play classes, but my experience playing roller hockey actually kinda hurt me, since most drills were to help people with puckhandling skills and passing, where as I needed to refine my iceskating. Anyone know of a good league for beginners in preferably Brooklyn, LI or Queens? I don't want something where it's going to be a jumble of skill levels.
City Ice Pavilion in Queens has some beer league not sure of the levels. That place is a dump though. Brooklyn Aviator also has various levels of beer league. Great rink imo.

You'll have to wait for the Long Islanders to chip in for other info.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:38 AM
robmneilson

vCash: 500
I've moved out of NYC but City Ice in Queens had a D4 league on Sunday...but that might not be the perfect spot for beginners. They used to also have a weekly clinic that was pretty alright.

For true beginner hockey you can always play friday nights during the winter at Lasker rink in central park. It's really fun, and theres a bar around the corner that all the teams go to after games.

Other than that there's Aviator rink in Brooklyn, but its hard to get to unless you live in the area or have a car. There's also a rink off the 7 train in Flushing, World Ice Arena that had some hockey, but seemed disorganized. They had clinics, and 4 on 4 tournaments in the summer...but I dunno about their leagues. The last option is Chelsea Piers, which is great...but expensive. They have a D8 beginner league that you can play in, which I think is on Sat nights.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 08:52 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
I've moved out of NYC but City Ice in Queens had a D4 league on Sunday...but that might not be the perfect spot for beginners. They used to also have a weekly clinic that was pretty alright.

For true beginner hockey you can always play friday nights during the winter at Lasker rink in central park. It's really fun, and theres a bar around the corner that all the teams go to after games.

Other than that there's Aviator rink in Brooklyn, but its hard to get to unless you live in the area or have a car. There's also a rink off the 7 train in Flushing, World Ice Arena that had some hockey, but seemed disorganized. They had clinics, and 4 on 4 tournaments in the summer...but I dunno about their leagues. The last option is Chelsea Piers, which is great...but expensive. They have a D8 beginner league that you can play in, which I think is on Sat nights.
I live like two minutes from Aviator, so getting there wouldn't be a problem. That will be where I most likely end up playing, but I just have no idea how their entry level leagues are.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 09:04 AM
robmneilson

vCash: 500
I've heard Aviator is a great facility, but I never got to play there since it would have taken me two or three trains, a bus, and a long walk to get there. Go check it out!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I live like two minutes from Aviator, so getting there wouldn't be a problem. That will be where I most likely end up playing, but I just have no idea how their entry level leagues are.
Call them up they're pretty good guys there.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote