HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Tirade (Part 1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
  #1
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Trade Tirade (Part 1)

Tim Wilcox
07/18/2013
One of the requirements of being a writer with this site is that we are expected nay encouraged, to interact with our readers on various fan pages, forums or boards; Hockey’s Future, Twitter, our WWAC Facebook page, and one all-inclusive FB home called Fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

This last one is quite an adventure. Whether it is fevered disapproval of the contract of one David Clarkson, fevered dissection of player abilities through the alphabet soup of “advanced stats”, or…um… “fevered” reactions to quite-naked pictures of Joffrey Lupul, this page is never the same two days in a row.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...-tirade-part-1


WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:10 PM
  #2
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
The best thing I remember Bell for was laying out (w/a borderline hit) Alfie at the end of the season.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:21 PM
  #3
JAMmer124
Independent Living
 
JAMmer124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjes Baumingdyk View Post
The best thing I remember Bell for was laying out (w/a borderline hit) Alfie at the end of the season.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:49 PM
  #4
Leafidelity
Way she goes...
 
Leafidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,024
vCash: 1775
I like how Toskala has already lost sight of the puck in that picture

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  #5
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yekaterinburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 13,215
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I like how Toskala has already lost sight of the puck in that picture
I like how they actually found a picture where the puck wasn't already in the net. That in itself deserves props.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:14 PM
  #6
Drew311
We Hardly Knew Ye
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Did he even get suspended for that? My god, Shanny would have have put him away for life.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:52 PM
  #7
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg
 
BIitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yekaterinburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 13,215
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Did he even get suspended for that? My god, Shanny would have have put him away for life.
I actually think it was on the cover of "How to hit, by the NHL" a year later.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:28 PM
  #8
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Does that hit qualify Bell for a HHOF nomination. Can't wait to boo you as a Wing Alfie

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  #9
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Does that hit qualify Bell for a HHOF nomination. Can't wait to boo you as a Wing Alfie
No, but he does qualify for a Rock 'em Sock 'em HHoF vote though.
Whenever the Sens play the Wings @ 11 mins in every period they (Sens fans) should chant--Sellout.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:03 PM
  #10
El Timbo Libre
Registered User
 
El Timbo Libre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
To all

Thanks for the feedback, friends.

El Timbo Libre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:05 PM
  #11
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers
 
Drop The Mits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
One of my favourite leafs videos ever

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:17 AM
  #12
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
I think it's pretty ridiculous that people laugh and cheer over the Mark Bell hit on Daniel Alfredsson, when it's almost a carbon copy of the hit that Cooke ended Mark Savard's career with

Also, Alfredsson or not, I think it shows a definite lack of class on our city's part that the cheering continued as long as it did. I get that they cheered when he was hit, most people wouldn't have been able to tell in realtime that it wasn't a clean hit, but after it became obvious he was hurt, it should've stopped.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  #13
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I think it's pretty ridiculous that people laugh and cheer over the Mark Bell hit on Daniel Alfredsson, when it's almost a carbon copy of the hit that Cooke ended Mark Savard's career with

Also, Alfredsson or not, I think it shows a definite lack of class on our city's part that the cheering continued as long as it did. I get that they cheered when he was hit, most people wouldn't have been able to tell in realtime that it wasn't a clean hit, but after it became obvious he was hurt, it should've stopped.
No its not lol. Completely different hits. Cooke's hit was all head while Bell's was shoulder and head. It was a head hunt for sure but its "cleaner" than Cooke's hit . If it was all head like you're trying to claim, Alfie would have retired

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:54 AM
  #14
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
No its not lol. Completely different hits. Cooke's hit was all head while Bell's was shoulder and head. It was a head hunt for sure but its "cleaner" than Cooke's hit . If it was all head like you're trying to claim, Alfie would have retired
Hits affect everyone differently. It's a blindside, check to the head. There really is no difference.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  #15
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I think it's pretty ridiculous that people laugh and cheer over the Mark Bell hit on Daniel Alfredsson, when it's almost a carbon copy of the hit that Cooke ended Mark Savard's career with

Also, Alfredsson or not, I think it shows a definite lack of class on our city's part that the cheering continued as long as it did. I get that they cheered when he was hit, most people wouldn't have been able to tell in realtime that it wasn't a clean hit, but after it became obvious he was hurt, it should've stopped.
Well I would have to say it wasn't a carbon copy of the Cooke hit as Alfredsson is still playing, in fact he didn't miss any time as a result of this hit, whilst Savard is essentially retired.

You're also reading a bit too much into this, this was before the real concern was showing re: concussions. These were the latter days of 'use a sniffing salt and get back out there'. Not saying it's right, but to vilify the fans for cheering when the most hated player is lying on the ice is unfair.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:26 AM
  #16
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Well I would have to say it wasn't a carbon copy of the Cooke hit as Alfredsson is still playing, in fact he didn't miss any time as a result of this hit, whilst Savard is essentially retired.

You're also reading a bit too much into this, this was before the real concern was showing re: concussions. These were the latter days of 'use a sniffing salt and get back out there'. Not saying it's right, but to vilify the fans for cheering when the most hated player is lying on the ice is unfair.
How is it unfair? You can dislike the guy, have a healthy rivalry, but when that moves from a cheer after a big hit to continued cheering while he's struggling to get up off the ice, I personally have a problem with that, regardless of what era of hockey we're talking about. I'm not overly upset by it or anything, but I don't like it.

As for the hit. The fact that Alfredsson missed no games from the hit is irrelevant. Him being hurt or not hurt, isn't what makes this hit comparable to the one that Cooke threw on Savard. They were both equally targeted headshots. The question becomes, do people think a blindside headshot is okay simply because the player hit doesn't get significantly hurt on the play?

Ultimately, my points was, to this day that hit gets brought up and celebrated about fairly regularly amongst our fanbase, but in the grand scheme of things, it was a dirty hit, that could've ended the career of a very good player, however unpopular he is around these parts.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
  #17
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Really you don't know why Leafs fans would cheer for a hit on Alfie? Here is an example

http://youtu.be/bNgXCohmzcM

On Tucker


What's good for the goose. Toughen up buttercup these are the big boys playing for groceries.


Last edited by WeWantACup: 07-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
  #18
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
And another.

[url]http://youtu.be/z2_I’m okay .....” Beauchemin said.

on Beauchemin

Almost same spot on the ice.


Atta boy Bell


Last edited by WeWantACup: 07-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  #19
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
How is it unfair? You can dislike the guy, have a healthy rivalry, but when that moves from a cheer after a big hit to continued cheering while he's struggling to get up off the ice, I personally have a problem with that, regardless of what era of hockey we're talking about. I'm not overly upset by it or anything, but I don't like it.

As for the hit. The fact that Alfredsson missed no games from the hit is irrelevant. Him being hurt or not hurt, isn't what makes this hit comparable to the one that Cooke threw on Savard. They were both equally targeted headshots. The question becomes, do people think a blindside headshot is okay simply because the player hit doesn't get significantly hurt on the play?

Ultimately, my points was, to this day that hit gets brought up and celebrated about fairly regularly amongst our fanbase, but in the grand scheme of things, it was a dirty hit, that could've ended the career of a very good player, however unpopular he is around these parts.
My point was that you shouldn't apply current day ethics to a situation that was vastly different however many years ago. Also can be referred to as 20/20 hindsight.

Quite frankly, I still feel zero sympathy for Alfie on that hit. I'm sure Senators fans would be cheering if his dirty hit on Tucker happened in Ottawa.

I know, none of this will change your opinion.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  #20
Sypher04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Really you don't know why Leafs fans would cheer for a hit on Alfie? Here is an example

http://youtu.be/bNgXCohmzcM

On Tucker


What's good for the goose. Toughen up buttercup these are the big boys playing for groceries.
Cool, so one dirty play makes another okay? All I've said really is that I don't think it's right for anyone to cheer when a player gets hurt, whether they are a rival or not. You obviously don't agree, that's great for you.

There's a difference between tough and dirty. Maybe it was a different time, but when Matt Cooke laid out Savard, it was a different time too. Doesn't change the fact that people found that hit incredibly scummy and it was the catalyst for the league looking into it's rules on blindside checks.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
  #21
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,818
vCash: 500
That was the greatest accomplishment of Bell's career right there.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:34 PM
  #22
mapes
Moderator
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 22,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Did he even get suspended for that? My god, Shanny would have have put him away for life.
Why would he get suspended? It was legal.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  #23
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,385
vCash: 500
I guess I haven't been the avid Leafs fan I am now for too long, but I really don't hate Alfie. Good player, he just goes out there and plays.

Hit on Tucker was bad, obv, but were cheap shots like that a regular occurrence?

*pitchforks*

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:42 AM
  #24
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Cool, so one dirty play makes another okay? All I've said really is that I don't think it's right for anyone to cheer when a player gets hurt, whether they are a rival or not. You obviously don't agree, that's great for you.

There's a difference between tough and dirty. Maybe it was a different time, but when Matt Cooke laid out Savard, it was a different time too. Doesn't change the fact that people found that hit incredibly scummy and it was the catalyst for the league looking into it's rules on blindside checks.
Completely different hits.....Bell was ALL shoulder,and in what year was that hit? In the year it was thrown that wasn't an "illegal" hit. There was no contact with the head from the angle the video was shot, only shoulder. Celebrated? maybe not. Fondly remembered? Maybe.
Cooke's hit on Savard was a disgusting, cheap,
blatant head shot. Much like Richards on Booth, that would be a good comparison.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 02:53 AM
  #25
Borjes Baumingdyk
Haemorrhaging syrup
 
Borjes Baumingdyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: in turmoil..
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I guess I haven't been the avid Leafs fan I am now for too long, but I really don't hate Alfie. Good player, he just goes out there and plays.

Hit on Tucker was bad, obv, but were cheap shots like that a regular occurrence?

*pitchforks*
He just knew how to get under our fanbases' skin. re: mimicking Mats Sundin.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.