Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames missing three key ingredients

Old
10-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Flames missing three key ingredients

And no, none of them have anything to do with a first-line centre.

#1. Chemistry
#2. Heart
#3. Coaching

#1. Chemistry. Sutter's dismantling of the team following the '04 Run for the Cup has had a lot to do with this I think. Too many changes, not many that have panned out.

#2. Heart. I think they lost this when they lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Tampa Bay Lightning (they've just never been the same since.)

#3. Coaching. The Flames seem to have more success with veteran coaches behind the bench than rookie ones I think. Jim Playfair, does anyone outside of Calgary even know who he is? Need I say more?

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post

#1. Chemistry
#2. Heart
#3. Coaching

#1. Chemistry. Sutter's dismantling of the team following the '04 Run for the Cup has had a lot to do with this I think. Too many changes, not many that have panned out.

#2. Heart. I think they lost this when they lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals to the Tampa Bay Lightning (they've just never been the same since.)

#3. Coaching. The Flames seem to have more success with veteran coaches behind the bench than rookie ones I think. Jim Playfair, does anyone outside of Calgary even know who he is? Need I say more?
1. It's obvious that we are lacking chemistry. On paper this team should be good... but obviously they aren't righ tnow.

2. This is the biggest problem with this team right now IMO. There is no effort at all. There's no urgency. There's no excuse for losing puck battles, laziness and stupid mistakes. It's like 3/4 of the team doesn't care.

3. What difference does it make if nobody knows about Playfair? The guy has won at EVERY level of the game. The guy was a huge ingredient in the identity of the defense of this team (unless you are suggesting we throw that out the window?). I know for a fact that this guy was being considered for two other head coaching jobs in the NHL in the past year. The guy is a good coach... but he can improve too.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:

#1. Chemistry
#2. Heart
#3. Coaching

the team ddnt show up at the most important time of the year for Sutter... the problem isnt coaching... its the players on this team that are the problem... as well as the lack of cap space we have to address these problems

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Badger Bob

This board has too many enablers, which keeps the icbites threads fresh.

The bolded phrase is just silly.

Quote:
Compare any team's roster from '04 with their current group. Turnover will occasionally happen, and with a year-long lockout, it was even more inevitable. To be fair, certain players - in different roles - brought some character to the team, and are no gone (Chris Clark, Ville Niemenen and Chris Simon). This isn't to argue the relative merits or drawbacks of each player, it's simply to point out that change is constant.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
therealdeal

Number 3 is obvious, we've been the worst coached team since the start of last year, the only reason we're in any games at all is because of Kipper, its not that our players can't find the net, its that we have the worst coaches in the league. Its really quite pathetic.

The worst part of it is that we're not even good defensively this year, not only can't we score but we also can't keep pucks out of our net despite having the best goalie in the world.

Should have gone out and gotten a new coach and a new philosophy, but in order to do that it'll probably take a disasterous season like the one we're about to have. Just have to hope that the team doesn't get blown up that much and we keep our best assests.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 11:38 AM
vbet*

To be honest I don't think coaching is as bad as you guys think. Playfair has been around for a bit so it's not like the players don't know him.

I think the real problem is a combination of three things.

1) If you whip a dog enough times eventually he stops coming to you when you call. Players are human and you can't expect 110% every night out of each one. Sometimes you have to win games being outshot badly and your stars score when needed and the PP wins you games. Modano has made his millions this way..float...float...score.

3) Kipper just looks tired already. When the big run happened kipper was well rested most of the year before the trade. Last year he looked tired in the playoffs. This year he has played 10 straight games and yesterday his reactions showed he needs a night off. Noodles should be put in but Playfair must be thinking that for a chance to win he needs Kipper in net, not true. Noodles can spark the team by his constant talking in net and the boys thinking that they must tighten things up in the backend.

Change is good

3) Tanguay doesn't fit in and Friesen was a older bad pickup. These two just don't cut it.

No offense but this team does not look like it has the stuff to go far in the playoffs so perhaps it's time to blow things up 'IF' the next 5-10 games go bad. The West looks way more powerful than the east and it will take 98 points to make it this year I figure. Wait too long and it's game over.

My crazy idea: A strong defense is a waste of time if you don't have the young fast scoring forwards like Anaheim has this year. Regehr has fantastic trade value right now. He is not in his last year of UFA so you package him with Amonte. Amonte is old and overpaid so you ballance out a great contract of Regehr with someone that is a dump.

Get that #1 forward! A real proven star. You know who I am talking about, Forsberg. Peter is 32 and still 4 more good years left in him if healthy. The question would be if he wants to come out here to Alberta and the west travel schedule.

Now just picture that starting 3

Tanguay-Forsberg-Iggy

Less pressure on Tanguay to be that guy and he can relax and play.

Last edited by vbet*: 10-31-2006 at 11:54 AM.
vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 12:56 PM
RandomRules

Funny, i would have gone with:

1) Talent
2) Talent
3) Talent

RandomRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapopinski View Post
Funny, i would have gone with:

1) Talent
2) Talent
3) Talent
Iginla, Tanguay, Kobasew, Huselius, Langkow, Lombardi, Regehr, Phaneuf, Hamrlik, Zyuzin, Kiprusoff.

The talent is there, the isn't!

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
sugar and spice and everything nice? or is it snips and snails and puppy dog tails?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Iginla, Tanguay, Kobasew, Huselius, Langkow, Lombardi, Regehr, Phaneuf, Hamrlik, Zyuzin, Kiprusoff.

I have to agree with that. I don't think teams are scared to come into the Saddledome right now. The drive, intensity and physical play really need to pick up. This is one of the most talented teams the Flames have had in years, yet there is most defintely something missing.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Flamesfan 26

Quote:

I tend to agree. The Flames have a very good team on paper in fact in the offseason they were picked by many to win the cup. The only reason they aren't playing good is because they don't have chemistry and they are not motivated.

Flamesfan 26 is offline   Reply With Quote