HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines for next season

Old
07-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Persona5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I posted a question on the Edmonton board.
What would it take to get Hemsky and Smid?
The answer suprised me.

Gaustad,Ellis,2nd round draft Pick

What do you think of this?
I would do that trade in a second and then get Spaling signed. Our D would be truely amazing and while Hemsky isn't an elite forward he does have puck handling skills unlike most of our players.

Also with Weber, Klein, and Jones there is little to no need for Ellis anymore. Ellis will either be moved or will end up like Blum and we get nothing. Poile should move him while there is still a chance to get something back.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

this is silly. the Edmonton fans are still trying to convince themselves that since Hemsky has a $5million contract that he is a $5million player and should fetch $5million dollar return.

Edmonton isnt trading Smid. Hes on their top pair and they need defense like we need offense.

Im thinking the only way the oil get anything for Hemsky is if they take a bad contract back(and this does NOT mean Gaustad, who is useful to us no matter what you think of his contract and is absolutely NOT replacable by Spaling) or else they hold onot him until the trade deadline and then if he's playing well and not hurt they can probably get a decent prospect and a pick for him

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:19 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Yeah...even if the Oilers retained $3 mil of his salary, I'm not sure which roster spot I would give up.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:43 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is silly. the Edmonton fans are still trying to convince themselves that since Hemsky has a $5million contract that he is a $5million player and should fetch $5million dollar return.

Edmonton isnt trading Smid. Hes on their top pair and they need defense like we need offense.

Im thinking the only way the oil get anything for Hemsky is if they take a bad contract back(and this does NOT mean Gaustad, who is useful to us no matter what you think of his contract and is absolutely NOT replacable by Spaling) or else they hold onot him until the trade deadline and then if he's playing well and not hurt they can probably get a decent prospect and a pick for him
Take a bad contract back eh?!
I wonder if Edmonton would be interested in nystrom or Hendricks! Lmao!!

Also, someone said Ellis may end up as Blum?! No way! Blum took a poop and never recovered, the guy just had no motivation. Ellis works his butt off and tries 100% every game, it's pretty rare this stuff happens like it did with Blum.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:52 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I badly, badly wish one of the three forwards would have fallen to us, but we made the right pick with what was left. If Poile and Trotz can work their magic with Jones, we have the choice three years down the road of either running one of the most stacked blue lines in the league or trading Weber/Josi/Jones for a kings ransom. It isn't perfect, but it'll do.

As for the next year debate, we aren't contenders, so there's two ways to look at it.

1. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him time to develop in the CHL and don't rush him.

2. It doesn't matter if we win, so give him tons of minutes and let him makes mistakes this year and learn from them.

I'll trust Poile and Trotz to make that call.
This is where I think you are wrong. One of the top goalies on the planet, a very good d-corp, an amazingly gritty bottom six with some pop, size, and what should be balanced scoring. This won't be sexy hockey, but it will be aggressive. We have the guys who will work hard again

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
This is where I think you are wrong. One of the top goalies on the planet, a very good d-corp, an amazingly gritty bottom six with some pop, size, and what should be balanced scoring. This won't be sexy hockey, but it will be aggressive. We have the guys who will work hard again
in this new system where 3rd in the division is guaranteed a playoff spot and 4th is probable, we are most definitely contenders for the playoffs. anyone who thinks that with a healthy roster we cant hang with anyone in the division except chicago is being needlessly pessimistic

Old
07-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
I think we're a #6-#10 seed. Playoffs are possible, and anyone in the playoffs is technically contending for the Cup, but I don't view us as a true contender (i.e. one of the top 4-6 teams in the league) by a wide margin.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:38 AM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I think we're a #6-#10 seed. Playoffs are possible, and anyone in the playoffs is technically contending for the Cup, but I don't view us as a true contender (i.e. one of the top 4-6 teams in the league) by a wide margin.
6-10 seed is exactly what we are. I think Poile made a step in the right direction going from the bottom up with the forwards. I know people want scoring, and so do I, but a damn good bottom six will win you a stanely cup with a proven scorer up front. That is now the only piece we are missing. Preds are set up great for the future.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Quote:
in this new system where 3rd in the division is guaranteed a playoff spot and 4th is probable, we are most definitely contenders for the playoffs. anyone who thinks that with a healthy roster we cant hang with anyone in the division except chicago is being needlessly pessimistic
I guess the season will settle this one way or another, but I just don't see it. This roster is not good. I think it is possible that we slide in as a bottom seed if Rinne puts the team on his back and our young guys all break out. I just don't think we're much, if any, better than last year's squad, and while I know injuries killed us, it's not like we were contenders with a healthy roster either.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Jubal

Quote:
I guess the season will settle this one way or another, but I just don't see it. This roster is not good. I think it is possible that we slide in as a bottom seed if Rinne puts the team on his back and our young guys all break out. I just don't think we're much, if any, better than last year's squad, and while I know injuries killed us, it's not like we were contenders with a healthy roster either.
Before the injuries started happening we were 5th in the West.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Yeah, the first third (or so) of the season we were good. Then, guys like Mueller became regulars...

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
A third of a 48 game season. 16 games. I'm not going to base much on a freaking 16 game sample size.

Injuries can and will happen again this year, to some extent, for us and every other team. I just don't expect a team that made little to no improvement to jump for the #4 overall to a contender. I think our young core of Wilson, Forsberg, Josi, Jones, Bourque, Beck, Smith, Ellis, Ekholm, etc. added to Rinne and Weber can be a great team in 2-3 years, I just don't think next year is our year.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:35 AM
maplepred

Quote:

This!

I'd love to be as optimistic as some here, but I am more of a face the facts guy like top 6 here.

People say we will make the playoffs because we have a gritty bottom six? Lol, ooook.
Just because we paid guys way more than they deserved doesn't mean they are worth that and will play to that. Nystrom should have gotten 600,000/year, not 2.5 million!! That's ridiculous!
Hendricks should be a league minimum player, but now as a predator he is pushing 2 million.
Cullen is old as hell and doesn't have much left in his old tank. I will be shocked if he put up 45 points, especially with his surrounding cast.
Beck, forsberg, and bourque are not getting more than 30 points, maybe bourque hits thirty, but the other two haven't even played a quarter season in the NHL yet, to expect our offense to come from then is absurd and any gm would know that.
And rinne wasn't exactly spectacular last season, I love peks but I don't think a 7 year deal was necessary.

This is not a playoff team, not a chance.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah, the first third (or so) of the season we were good. Then, guys like Mueller became regulars...
That's not how I remember it. I remember us barely getting points while being badly outplayed. Then our true form showed. Then injuries hit us.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
That's not how I remember it. I remember us barely getting points while being badly outplayed. Then our true form showed. Then injuries hit us.
just look back at the schedule. we were 7-3-4 at the 1/4 mark of the season

then, even as bad as it seemed, we were above .500 (14-13-6) and still in the hunt for the playoffs at the 33 game mark. the wheels came off after the injuries finally reached critical mass.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
This!

I'd love to be as optimistic as some here, but I am more of a face the facts guy like top 6 here.

People say we will make the playoffs because we have a gritty bottom six? Lol, ooook.
Just because we paid guys way more than they deserved doesn't mean they are worth that and will play to that. Nystrom should have gotten 600,000/year, not 2.5 million!! That's ridiculous!
Hendricks should be a league minimum player, but now as a predator he is pushing 2 million.
Cullen is old as hell and doesn't have much left in his old tank. I will be shocked if he put up 45 points, especially with his surrounding cast.
Beck, forsberg, and bourque are not getting more than 30 points, maybe bourque hits thirty, but the other two haven't even played a quarter season in the NHL yet, to expect our offense to come from then is absurd and any gm would know that.
And rinne wasn't exactly spectacular last season, I love peks but I don't think a 7 year deal was necessary.

This is not a playoff team, not a chance.
youre losing mre and more credibility in my book... first you still list Mueller as ours, then you imply that Poile overpaid a guy by $2million... as if he wasnt going to get offers from anyone else... (the guy did have 7 goals in a 48 game season and had 16 the year before... thats not exactly league minimum numbers)....and Rinne is worth every penny of his deal and was clearly playing hurt last year.

lastly, if you dont comprehend the fact that the new playoff formula makes is significantly easier to make the playoffs, then you arent very good at math

previously, we had to be better than 7 teams to make the playoffs... now we only have to be better than 4, or possibly even three... I like our chances against Colorado and Winnepeg, and we are no worse than even with Dallas and Minnesota as long as we are healthy

Old
07-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
just look back at the schedule. we were 7-3-4 at the 1/4 mark of the season

then, even as bad as it seemed, we were above .500 (14-13-6) and still in the hunt for the playoffs at the 33 game mark. the wheels came off after the injuries finally reached critical mass.
Again, we we were picking up points while getting badly outplayed. Didn't we get half way into the season with 4 regulation wins? Worst in the league IIRC.

We were not a good team last year, injuries or not.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:30 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Again, we we were picking up points while getting badly outplayed. Didn't we get half way into the season with 4 regulation wins? Worst in the league IIRC.

We were not a good team last year, injuries or not.
we never look that "good".. we always win ugly... when we were healthy, we werent that bad either.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:01 PM
maplepred

Quote:
youre losing mre and more credibility in my book... first you still list Mueller as ours, then you imply that Poile overpaid a guy by $2million... as if he wasnt going to get offers from anyone else... (the guy did have 7 goals in a 48 game season and had 16 the year before... thats not exactly league minimum numbers)....and Rinne is worth every penny of his deal and was clearly playing hurt last year.

lastly, if you dont comprehend the fact that the new playoff formula makes is significantly easier to make the playoffs, then you arent very good at math

previously, we had to be better than 7 teams to make the playoffs... now we only have to be better than 4, or possibly even three... I like our chances against Colorado and Winnepeg, and we are no worse than even with Dallas and Minnesota as long as we are healthy
Mueller was ours and he played on our roster last season.
If rinne was hurt why did he play in a losing cause anyways?? All our other vets that were hurt had no problem sitting on the bench when injured, why wouldn't rinne? Why do you say he was 'clearly hurt'?

And if you don't think nystrom is heavily overpaid then you sir are the one with no credibility. You know why he was so excited to come play here?? Because be knew he cleaned up and nobody else would give him that kind of money. Wow! Seven goals?!?! I guess that's worth 2.5 million! Gagne just got 4.8, and we paid nystrom 2.5, you tell me nystrom is a bargain?! Lmao. Please. Anyone who thinks poile made a good signing with nystrom isn't a preds fan, possibly one of his worst signings ever, I like goose deal better than nystrom deal every day of the week. Nystrom sucks, is a bottom line nobody that should not have that kind of pay, we have 8 million tied up in fourth line, and you say I don't have credibility because I think that's ridiculous.. Lol

Also never said anything about it being easier or harder to make playoffs, where did that come from? I simply said we are not a playoff team, just like many others are saying on here, so don't call me out unless you wanna call out everyone saying the same thing. This team is not a playoff team, sure it's our favourite team and we love them, but reality, we are not playoff caliber roster. Period.

Edit:
Like why go sign Hendricks and nystrom for overpriced contracts and now we have a cluster**** of bottom six guys and they are making tons of money, I think that's what bugs people the most, the money could have been saved and used on something this team actually needs, like say offense??

Last edited by maplepred: 07-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Mueller was ours and he played on our roster last season.
If rinne was hurt why did he play in a losing cause anyways?? All our other vets that were hurt had no problem sitting on the bench when injured, why wouldn't rinne? Why do you say he was 'clearly hurt'?

And if you don't think nystrom is heavily overpaid then you sir are the one with no credibility. You know why he was so excited to come play here?? Because be knew he cleaned up and nobody else would give him that kind of money. Wow! Seven goals?!?! I guess that's worth 2.5 million! Gagne just got 4.8, and we paid nystrom 2.5, you tell me nystrom is a bargain?! Lmao. Please. Anyone who thinks poile made a good signing with nystrom isn't a preds fan, possibly one of his worst signings ever, I like goose deal better than nystrom deal every day of the week. Nystrom sucks, is a bottom line nobody that should not have that kind of pay, we have 8 million tied up in fourth line, and you say I don't have credibility because I think that's ridiculous.. Lol

Also never said anything about it being easier or harder to make playoffs, where did that come from? I simply said we are not a playoff team, just like many others are saying on here, so don't call me out unless you wanna call out everyone saying the same thing. This team is not a playoff team, sure it's our favourite team and we love them, but reality, we are not playoff caliber roster. Period.

Edit:
Like why go sign Hendricks and nystrom for overpriced contracts and now we have a cluster**** of bottom six guys and they are making tons of money, I think that's what bugs people the most, the money could have been saved and used on something this team actually needs, like say offense??
Rinne had surgery a week after the season ended, that means he was obviously injured.

Also, I understanding using the "we" term when talking about your favorite team but you use "here" do you live in Nashville?

Let me add that I like the Nystrom signing and unless you've contributed more than me to the growth of the sport "here" you're not allowed to question whether or not I'm a fan.

We understand you don't like Nystrom, but to call fans loyalty over it is beyond ridiculous.

Thanks, enjoy.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:37 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

why do people keep bringing up an 8 million dollar 4th line? Clune-Spaling-Nystrom don't make that much

Old
07-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
why do people keep bringing up an 8 million dollar 4th line? Clune-Spaling-Nystrom don't make that much
Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m)
Craig Smith ($2.000m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Filip Forsberg ($1.461m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.850m)
Nick Spaling ($1.500m) / Richard Clune ($0.538m) /

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 07-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Edit:
the "bottom 6" isnt just whatever six schmoes we can sign for cheap and throw out there.

those guys are counted on to provide things like grit, energy, defense, penalty killing and secondary scoring.

the sad sacks we had playing those roles last year like Halischuk and Spaling, were neither gritty nor did they kill penalties all that well. They werent good at puck possession and couldnt forecheck for squat. They have been replaced, because they needed replacing. Now, time will tell if these new guys are any better... maybe they will be, maybe they wont.. but to argue we would have been just as well to keep what we had doesnt make any sense.

and as of yet nobody can demonstrate how spending on these guys has prevented us from getting the elusive "offense"... can you name someone we would have had but didnt because we spent the money on the new signings?? no, you cant...

Old
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Gabriel Bourque ($0.775m)
Eric Nystrom ($2.500m) / Matt Cullen ($3.500m) / Filip Forsberg ($1.461m)
/Nick Spaling ($1.500m) / Richard Clune ($0.538m / Matt Hendricks ($1.850m)
/

Craig Smith ($2.000
Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) (injured)
/
4th line looks like 4-4.5 a year to me

Old
07-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
4th line looks like 4-4.5 a year to me
If Nystrom is consistently on our 3rd line, we are gonna have a long year.