Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Some of the angles in this thread seem off to me.

To pick someone up to deal with Scott or Parros, or Orr or McLaren, doesn't make sense to me. We don't need to square off with them just to do so, like it's some kind of ego contest, or macho contest.

The reason you have to deal with them is because if you do not, the OTHER players on their team will take liberties with yours. Period. That's it. If you cannot deal with their team, you suddenly have Bergy taking an elbow off the noggin. Dougie getting run in the corner on an icing. That is why you get someone.

If players on the other teams can live/hide behind some monster that will clean out anyone you throw at them, you have trouble on your hands over the course of a season.

Thornton stepping into Scott again to hold the line won't prove anything when he gets bashed in again. Do you honestly want Chara going with Scott? Are you kidding me? Or Looch going with Orr? That would be better for those teams than Thornton going!

I'm confused. How do you accomplish the second bolded without doing the first ?

Last edited by Roll 4 Lines: 07-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
I really don't mean any disrespect and you are more than entitled to your opinion on this matter but I totally disagree.

Going back a few years I think you would always take a guy like Peter Douris as your fourth liner who would bang in 10-12 goals and play soft and not fight where I would take Daren Kimble, who may not score as much but brings a more important element to the fourth line.

Winning also matters, if you are using a fight to fire up your team it's tough to get a lift when your fighter is getting his head kicked in (see Jeff Odger).

I don't think (and certainly don't want) fighting or tough hockey to go away, and believe there will always be a place for intimidation and fighting in the game. Given the choice of being the intimidator or intimidatee I will always pick intimidator

Just my two cents as a long time hockey fan
Thanks long time hockey fan! But I think you are missing the overall point (and maybe missing some other stuff if you would take Darin Kimble on any team but whatever).

The point isn't that we dont want/advocate for having a tough team....we have that. Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Campbell, Chara, Boychuck can all go when needed. The game has changed...you can't sacrifice roster spots to worry about the 7-8 minutes of ice time you might see from guys like John Scott. It is counter to building a winning team. If Shawn Thornton isnt tough enough to answer the bell (and I am not suggesting he isnt) then good luck finding someone tougher.....who can also play (please dont look past that last point).

Bruins are as team tough as anyone that can also ice a WINNING team. Remember, that is the point. We don't need the second coming of Darin Kimble as the 12th forward getting in needless scraps to justify his presence.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Some of the angles in this thread seem off to me.

To pick someone up to deal with Scott or Parros, or Orr or McLaren, doesn't make sense to me. We don't need to square off with them just to do so, like it's some kind of ego contest, or macho contest.

The reason you have to deal with them is because if you do not, the OTHER players on their team will take liberties with yours. Period. That's it. If you cannot deal with their team, you suddenly have Bergy taking an elbow off the noggin. Dougie getting run in the corner on an icing. That is why you get someone.

If players on the other teams can live/hide behind some monster that will clean out anyone you throw at them, you have trouble on your hands over the course of a season.

Thornton stepping into Scott again to hold the line won't prove anything when he gets bashed in again. Do you honestly want Chara going with Scott? Are you kidding me? Or Looch going with Orr? That would be better for those teams than Thornton going!

Antiquated beliefs.

So let me get this straight...Patrick Kaleta will only take cheap shots if John Scott is on the team....and as long as we can neutralize Scott then Kaleta will fall in line?

Jesus how do you people rationalize this nonsense?

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I don't care who is playing.. I just want to see more fights.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

I'm in the boat that would rather see Ryan Spooner skate circles around Parros than someone try to fight him.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
[/B]

I'm confused. How do you accomplish the first bolded without doing the second?
You get someone that can handle heavyweights. We don't have anyone that can go with the legit heavies in the league.

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
You get someone that can handle heavyweights. We don't have anyone that can go with the legit heavies in the league.
But in your post you wrote:

To pick someone up to deal with Scott or Parros, or Orr or McLaren, doesn't make sense to me.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:35 PM
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Antiquated beliefs.

So let me get this straight...Patrick Kaleta will only take cheap shots if John Scott is on the team....and as long as we can neutralize Scott then Kaleta will fall in line?

Jesus how do you people rationalize this nonsense?
I didn't say what you typed, so I am not rationalizing any nonsense. Your logic is flawed.

Scott and Orr will crush Thornton, and anyone else on our team. Yeah, Chara is big and gets angry, but he also falls down in 90% of his fights after throwing a punch and his ice time is way too valuable.

If you do not have anyone that can hold the other team accountable, you run the risk of losing control of a physical game. That is simple NHL truth. Players take liberties when they know you cannot do anything about it. Lucic vs. Buffalo, anyone?!

Having a legit heavyweight is a deterrent when it needs to be. Scott isn't a cheap player. Orr, for the most part, isn't a cheap player. Neither is Parros or McLaren.

BUT, the guys behind them very well may be.

What could we do against Toronto in a game that gets ugly? Thornton and Lucic are our best fighters. Thorty went huggy bear against Orr, and Looch got his nose caved in. McLaren is a hell of a fighter and Fraser wiped the ice up with McQuaid.

I don't understand these mutually exclusive arguments. Why can't you skate circles around people AND be able to control a physical game? Are people "that" removed from a couple years ago?

Old
07-22-2013, 12:40 PM
The Kid

Quote:
But in your post you wrote:

To pick someone up to deal with Scott or Parros, or Orr or McLaren, doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, to pick up a goon simply to go with other goons doesn't make any sense to me. Those players are not cheap or dirty, so you don't "have to" fight them, so to say.

My point is that, in a game that gets on the line, we do not have anyone that can handle a Scott or other heavies. We simply don't. And I don't want Chara or Looch fighting those fights. So, in my mind, we are exposed. The Bs play a physical game, it is in their DNA. So what happens when you run into a team that plays just as physical, but has the firepower to really set the tone?

Again, it is not necessarily about those guys. You don't "have to" deal with them, you have to deal with the cheap SOBs that play under the cover of those heavies.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Hawgood_38
Season Tix since '97

Quote:
Yes, to pick up a goon simply to go with other goons doesn't make any sense to me. Those players are not cheap or dirty, so you don't "have to" fight them, so to say.

My point is that, in a game that gets on the line, we do not have anyone that can handle a Scott or other heavies. We simply don't. And I don't want Chara or Looch fighting those fights. So, in my mind, we are exposed. The Bs play a physical game, it is in their DNA. So what happens when you run into a team that plays just as physical, but has the firepower to really set the tone?

Again, it is not necessarily about those guys. You don't "have to" deal with them, you have to deal with the cheap SOBs that play under the cover of those heavies.
Can you give an example of someone you'd want to pick up? And tell me if I'm wrong, but Kaleta was a cheap POS before Buffalo got Scott. Same with guys like Lapierre, Cooke, Burrows, etc. There cheap SOBs if their team has some stiff like Parros or not.

Hawgood_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:17 PM
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgood_38 View Post
Can you give an example of someone you'd want to pick up? And tell me if I'm wrong, but Kaleta was a cheap POS before Buffalo got Scott. Same with guys like Lapierre, Cooke, Burrows, etc. There cheap SOBs if their team has some stiff like Parros or not.
No question he was a cheap POS before Scott arrived. Now what is he... that is where I am heading. And there are others that are just as bad. I wonder what Lucic and Engelland would have looked like when they dropped the gloves in the playoffs. He can throw down and, again, it is just a terrible trade off for the Bs.

I would have like to pick up Bordy, but I think he just signed. I like Matt Martin a lot, although he couldn't go with the heavies. There was someone else I had in mind, but now cannot think of his name.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:

I'm sorry but I really don't understand. You keep saying "to pick up a goon simply to go with other goons doesn't make any sense to me." but then you keep saying "we do not have anyone that can handle a Scott or other heavies."

So....it sounds to me like you want to pick up a goon to go with the other team's goon.

Old
07-22-2013, 01:33 PM
tom nuetten

Quote:
No question he was a cheap POS before Scott arrived. Now what is he... that is where I am heading. And there are others that are just as bad. I wonder what Lucic and Engelland would have looked like when they dropped the gloves in the playoffs. He can throw down and, again, it is just a terrible trade off for the Bs.

I would have like to pick up Bordy, but I think he just signed. I like Matt Martin a lot, although he couldn't go with the heavies. There was someone else I had in mind, but now cannot think of his name.
I have the same feeling.. those guys could play on our 4th line... paille can (as seen) easily play on the 3rd line...

I think that paille on the 3rd line is better than caron etc... (this year)
so you would upgrade your 4th line in toughness and hitting and your 3rd line with speed...

and next year (if some of the young guys are ready to play regularly on the 3rd line) thornton will retire => paille back on 4th...

tom nuetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgood_38 View Post
I know this wasn't for me, but I'll answer anyway.

(*before I get to my main point I will say that it is undeniable that Kaleta -while he has always been a ******- has never been as fearless as he was this year; even Miller had to call him out after almost ending Richard's career. The reason he was so rattled in the Leafs game was because he thought he was untouchable now from the other team's heavies).

Anyway, I'm not under the impression that, in 2013, guys like Kaleta live in fear of an enforcer. In the 80s and early 90s --absolutely. But now they know, and have grown up in, the system that coddles their style of play and punishes relation to the dangerous crap they pull. That doesn't mean that you stand by and eat it from them either. Guys like Lapierre and Burrows absolutely went into their shell in 2011 when the Bruins went after them physically.

That is the beauty of a Lucic -- no other forward in the league has the size--skill--snarl--slugging package that he has. You could say the same thing about Chara on D.

This is why the Bruins are so effective when they are on THEIR game and THEIR game is being physical. This is why Bruins fans continually rejoice seeing these 2 guys beat up on other skilled guys. It's fair because it is our #1 Dman and #1 LWer.

But other teams know this --that they don't have big, skilled nasty brutes to neutralize a Lucic or Chara-- so they do the next best thing that they can do and dress the toughest line-up that they possibly can whenever they play the Bruins. That usually means dressing the enforcer that has sat the last couple of games. Usually they will promote their biggest, meanest Dman up to play against Lucic (for Toronto it was Fraser, for the Pens it was Engelland as the two most recent examples --of course there is no real fighting in the playoffs).

This explains why Lucic is fighting huge, nasty 3rd pairing Dmen like Carkner or Erskine. A talent mismatch, no?

Well, it happens because that is the other team's plan (usually effective) to put out a 230pd nasty guy to get in his face and try and get him to focus on the other part (fighting) of his game.

If Lucic decides to ramp up his game physically then other team's fighters come looking for him. Last year Lucic, after a long dormant stretch, threw a hit on the pesky Turris and then was backed into a corner by Neil. People that understand hockey *soo well here don't understand why he took that fight.

*my kids are tearing the house up so I won't be able to finish up my point properly, but I'll shorten it to saying that other teams constantly beef up to play the Big, Bad Bruins. What have we done in the last 2 years to counter that --to stay on top of it-- to maintain the physical edge we once had over our division?

We are not a skilled team like the Wings, we are a physical team... and yet there are multiple teams in out division now that dress a 4th line that could beat the crap out of our 4th line...

are we scared of them? No, because...

.... where do we make up that difference?

Our #1 D and #1 LWer... dragging them into the gutter and away from winning those skill match-ups we used to enjoy.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:59 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I disagree....

Just in our division...

Orr and McLaren sign two year deals...

Habs draft results and deal for Parros...

Sabres resign Scott

Sens dealt for Kassian last year...

Bolts resign Crombeen and Labrie...

Other signing like mcGrattan TWO years, 1.5 mil..Bordeleau at 1 mil per..
Sorry, just because other GM`s decide this is the way to go doesn`t make it the way I prefer. Kassian was used how much exactly in the playoffs???

Your entitled to, truth is, none of them would have any impact on a playoff series, especially if any of their respective teams moved forward,all, would have to beg to get a minute of ice time.

All the players you mentioned, if we had em here, in this system, I`ll guarantee would be called out in a week as they can barely play

There was a time, when most teams had 3 guys who`s only job was to drop em. If I owned a company, I don`t want to waste good money on someone who gets paid regardless if they play or not. There best skills are scrapping, and when the playoffs arrive and there is less of it, they are pilons.

Until I see this Bruins team getting manhandled night in and out, I lose not one wink of sleep over the Parros/McGratton signings, bet ya a buckaroo we`ll be posting here after a game against them about just how irrelevant they were

16 pages about this team needing to concern itself about goons on other teams, time for me to hit another thread, adios fans

Last edited by ODAAT: 07-22-2013 at 02:05 PM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sorry, just because other GM`s decide this is the way to go doesn`t make it the way I prefer. Kassian was used how much exactly in the playoffs???

Your entitled to, truth is, none of them would have any impact on a playoff series, especially if any of their respective teams moved forward,all, would have to beg to get a minute of ice time.

All the players you mentioned, if we had em here, in this system, I`ll guarantee would be called out in a week as they can barely play

There was a time, when most teams had 3 guys who`s only job was to drop em. If I owned a company, I don`t want to waste good money on someone who gets paid regardless if they play or not. There best skills are scrapping, and when the playoffs arrive and there is less of it, they are pilons.

Until I see this Bruins team getting manhandled night in and out, I lose not one wink of sleep over the Parros/McGratton signings, bet ya a buckaroo we`ll be posting here after a game against them about just how irrelevant they were

16 pages about this team needing to concern itself about goons on other teams, time for me to hit another thread, adios fans
That's fine...you are entitled to that...just saying that you said you think teams are moving away from that, but it doesn't appear that way that's all...

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
That's fine...you are entitled to that...just saying that you said you think teams are moving away from that, but it doesn't appear that way that's all...
Successful teams are moving away from it.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:16 PM
The Kid

Quote:
I'm sorry but I really don't understand. You keep saying "to pick up a goon simply to go with other goons doesn't make any sense to me." but then you keep saying "we do not have anyone that can handle a Scott or other heavies."

So....it sounds to me like you want to pick up a goon to go with the other team's goon.
No, I don't want a "goon" that we dress for games against the Scotts of the world. That is a waste. I want someone that can play, but also police the scene. I want a heavyweight Thornton. Now, if that player doesn't exist, so be it. But the need is still there.

So what are our options? You can only play physical to a certain extent before you have to answer the bell. Chara and Lucic cannot answer that bell, the talent mismatch sucks and the risk of injury is high. Thornton cannot go with those guys. He just can't. So the Bs are going to alter their DNA and play to some limit, have no answer for a truly chippy game, or someone is going to get the snot kicked out of them. Undesirable outcomes as far as I am concerned.

I don't want a goon that just goes out there to fight the other goon. I want someone that can contribute AND hold the other team accountable.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Thanks long time hockey fan! But I think you are missing the overall point (and maybe missing some other stuff if you would take Darin Kimble on any team but whatever).

The point isn't that we dont want/advocate for having a tough team....we have that. Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Campbell, Chara, Boychuck can all go when needed. The game has changed...you can't sacrifice roster spots to worry about the 7-8 minutes of ice time you might see from guys like John Scott. It is counter to building a winning team. If Shawn Thornton isnt tough enough to answer the bell (and I am not suggesting he isnt) then good luck finding someone tougher.....who can also play (please dont look past that last point).

Bruins are as team tough as anyone that can also ice a WINNING team. Remember, that is the point. We don't need the second coming of Darin Kimble as the 12th forward getting in needless scraps to justify his presence.
I disagree, a 14th forward at league minimum who is a legit heavy is worth the roster spot and money. If you don't want Lucic/Chare mixing it up with Scott or Orr you dress a 5-8 minute a night heavy for those games. Let Fraser or Knight or whoever play on the fourth against Detroit or Washington to learn the game and see what he can do, when Buffalo, Montreal and Toronto come in dress your heavyweight, help Thornton so he doesn't wear out and then let unnamed heavyweight sit in press box until needed again.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
No, I don't want a "goon" that we dress for games against the Scotts of the world. That is a waste. I want someone that can play, but also police the scene. I want a heavyweight Thornton. Now, if that player doesn't exist, so be it. But the need is still there.

So what are our options? You can only play physical to a certain extent before you have to answer the bell. Chara and Lucic cannot answer that bell, the talent mismatch sucks and the risk of injury is high. Thornton cannot go with those guys. He just can't. So the Bs are going to alter their DNA and play to some limit, have no answer for a truly chippy game, or someone is going to get the snot kicked out of them. Undesirable outcomes as far as I am concerned.

I don't want a goon that just goes out there to fight the other goon. I want someone that can contribute AND hold the other team accountable.
Okay, that's way easier to understand...thanks!

I do think the answer is in your post though, heavyweight hockey players who are good with their dukes and can contribute 10+ minute per game aint exactly growing on Maple trees.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Stone Clode
Kicks him, stunner!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Bang. Spot on.

The teams in our division that added an "enforcer" in the offseason either didn't make the playoffs (Buffalo) or were eliminated in the first round (Toronto and Montreal). The two teams that didn't (Boston and Ottawa) both made the 2nd round or further.

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Is that why LA added Dan Carcillo , Montreal drafted size and toughness and addedd Parros, Chicago added Theo Peckham and resigned Kyle Beach, San Jose resigned Matt Pelech?

No matter how hard Bettman and David Branch try and listen to the Adam Proteaus of the world, looks like guys that primary purpose is fighting are still kicking around.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadChara33 View Post
Bang. Spot on.

The teams in our division that added an "enforcer" in the offseason either didn't make the playoffs (Buffalo) or were eliminated in the first round (Toronto and Montreal). The two teams that didn't (Boston and Ottawa) both made the 2nd round or further.
This is total rubbish. The difference between Toronto and Boston was a game 7 overtime goal.

Also, you are correct in asserting that Toronto and Montreal added enforcers --yet somehow, with those wastes of roster spaces, -- they both turned it around and made the playoffs. Funny, the year before neither team had an enforcer and neither team made the playoffs.

Also, Ottawa didn't add an enforcer? Must be news to 6'5 -235pd Matt Kassian.

Please, folks, don't read too much into this post --just pointing out the gaping holes in the one I am responding to.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:37 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Shawn Thornton is a heavyweight Thornton, he's fought the toughest of the toughest for years and handled himself just fine. Just last year he went 6-2-2, but because the 2 losses were to HFBruins heroes Scott and Orr he needs "preservation" and help. The one guy in the entire league maybe out of his class is John Scott, Thornton fought Orr to three solid draws before last season and even though Thornton lost he landed some huge bombs on Orr in the loss. So I'll ask again, the Bruins are supposed to go out and make a roster move because of John Scott who makes $750K, has one career goal and plays on a bad hockey team?

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
bruinsfan46

Rather than comparing the Bruins to the Leafs or Habs who have struggled to make the playoffs in recent seasons, let's set the bar of successful as teams that get into the playoffs every year and sometimes make a run. Teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA and Detroit. The Bruins fought substantially more than all of them last year, just at look Chicago (the one squad to actually defeat Boston in the playoffs) 17 fights last season (compared to Boston's 40) and they just traded away scrappy Dan Carcillo. So what do posters on this board know that Stan Bowman doesn't, that getting tougher is a necessity in the modern NHL? Just curious.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote