HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official NHLers/Oilers @ The Olympics Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I can't stand Rick Nash - but the body of work he's compiled for Team Canada stands for itself.

Interesting that Mozyakin, Kulikov, Svitov, Belov all left off of Russia's roster. Same with Bryzgalov.
This. It's absolutely nasty.

On another point, I do think Hall has one of the best chances (of all the young tweeners) at making this team due to depth. You can play an all centre lineup, but at a certain point, it bodes well to have great players playing their own darn position.

That Hall-Tavares-Giroux thing...

EDIT: Whereas Duchene has to beat out Crosby, Tavares, Toews and Bergeron (and Thornton) for the four C positions and Stamkos, Couture, Getzlaf, Staal, Staal, Sharp, Richards, Giroux, Laad, Carter for the centre-to-wing spots.
Also, we're ****ing stacked.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:19 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
I really wanna see a
Hall- Tavares- Giroux line
I don't know if Giroux would mesh with Hall. He's very similar to Halls game-fast and carry the puck.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:22 PM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
I don't know if Giroux would mesh with Hall. He's very similar to Halls game-fast and carry the puck.
I think Giroux is more of a dynamic Eberle.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
So looking at Canada's roster, and the Defensemen Sure to make the team, if you're not a LHD, you have no shot at the #8 spot on the blueline

Weber
Subban
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Letang
Seabrook

All RHD

Keith is the only LHD out of the elite 7.

So who's the LHD who makes it #8?

My guess is Vlasic, simple safe defensive guy

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:27 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So looking at Canada's roster, and the Defensemen Sure to make the team, if you're not a LHD, you have no shot at the #8 spot on the blueline

Weber
Subban
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Letang
Seabrook

All RHD

Keith is the only LHD out of the elite 7.

So who's the LHD who makes it #8?

My guess is Vlasic, simple safe defensive guy
Hamhuis. I could see him playing with Weber because they should be familiar with each other, both played in Nashville together.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Hall and Ebs are both iffy to make it. 25 F's invited to camp - many of which played on the Gold-winning team of a few years ago.

Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Logan Couture, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Getzlaf, Claude Giroux, Taylor Hall, Chris Kunitz, Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Rick Nash, James Neal, Corey Perry, Mike Richards, Patrick Sharp, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Joe Thornton, Jonathan Toews.

I see Couture/Duchene getting in before Hall/Ebs - just because they're C's that can win draws in case of injuries.
How does Jamie Benn get passed over for Marchand and Lucic??

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Because it's not an all-star team. They'll want traditional scoring lines, grinder/tough minute lines, etc. Same reason Kris Draper made the team in 2006 (maybe not the best example since that team did so poorly, but I'm sure there are some other examples).

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Because it's not an all-star team. They'll want traditional scoring lines, grinder/tough minute lines, etc. Same reason Kris Draper made the team in 2006 (maybe not the best example since that team did so poorly, but I'm sure there are some other examples).
That's partly true and still a terrible idea. Take the best players, Period, regardless of "roles"

Look at the 2010, they took Bergeron as a "defensive/faceoff guy" and he was hurt and useless, meanwhile the "13th forward" Jonathan Toews was the MVP.

It was the same thing when the took Rob Zamner to Japan, he was completely useless.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I think it's hilarious, especially after TSN named him as a lock on Friday.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

On another point, I do think Hall has one of the best chances (of all the young tweeners) at making this team due to depth. You can play an all centre lineup, but at a certain point, it bodes well to have great players playing their own darn position.
I think Hall is a long shot personally, mostly because Ruff is an assistant coach and he pretty much dropped him down the lineup at the Worlds. Ultimately it probably comes down to what they do this season for Hall and Eberle.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Dabomb

is this list of invites final? What I mean is what if a player not on the list tears it up in the first half of the season (ie RNH/Schultz).. can players still be added later on?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Oilception

Anyone else surprised Petry not named for USA but guys like Dekyser and Trouba were

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
is this list of invites final? What I mean is what if a player not on the list tears it up in the first half of the season (ie RNH/Schultz).. can players still be added later on?
Somebody gave an example of Bergeron making it last Olympics when he wasnt invited to the camp. So i would assume it can happen

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That's partly true and still a terrible idea. Take the best players, Period, regardless of "roles"

Look at the 2010, they took Bergeron as a "defensive/faceoff guy" and he was hurt and useless, meanwhile the "13th forward" Jonathan Toews was the MVP.

It was the same thing when the took Rob Zamner to Japan, he was completely useless.
They also took Marleau, Morrow, Mike Richards over Stamkos, St. Louis, and Carter for Vancouver 2010, and each had important roles in victory. Someone has to play the PK and shut down the opposing team's top line. The roster will mainly be an all-star team, but the staff needs to ensure they have forwards who are experienced PK'ers and a mix of strong faceoff takers who shoot both ways. I would rather an elite, right-handed faceoff taker Bergeron, who can also anchor the #1 PK unit, be on the team over trying to shoehorn a higher scoring Spezza into the 4th line.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Anyone else surprised Petry not named for USA but guys like Dekyser and Trouba were
Surprised? Sure.

Mad? No, being from Canada, I'm happy with them taking rookies over established NHL D-Men.

djdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
I love both of those guys, but the disrespect for Petry by USA Hockey is ridiculous. I think they just figure he wouldn't crack the top-7, and invited the rest of the kids because they're youngsters and it's a developmental opportunity. Kind of guys like Eberle/Murray making the WHC teams.

Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien, John Carlson, Dan DeKeyser, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Jake Gardiner, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Seth Jones, Nick Leddy, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Suter, Jacob Trouba, Keith Yandle

All legit candidates IMO. I think Bogosian gets cut.

Suter-Martin
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Yandle-Carlson
Byfuglien

That's how I'd draw it up. You'd be surprised how equal that D corps is to Canada's.

Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Beau Bennett, Nick Bjugstad, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Alex Galchenyuk, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Okposo, T.J. Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Brandon Saad, Craig Smith, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler

Brown Parise Kane
Kessel Kesler Ryan
Oshie Backes Callahan
Pacioretty Stepan Pavelski

Stastny, Wheeler, JVR

This is who I'd take. Tons of talent up front for the Americans.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:39 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
Surprised? Sure.

Mad? No, being from Canada, I'm happy with them taking rookies over established NHL D-Men.
None of those guys are going to make the team.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:40 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I think Hall is a long shot personally, mostly because Ruff is an assistant coach and he pretty much dropped him down the lineup at the Worlds. Ultimately it probably comes down to what they do this season for Hall and Eberle.
Thankfully, Babcock is the main guy in charge here, so he won't play Duchene instead of Crosby or something

Babcock is a fan of big wingers who can score, like the Franzens and the Nashes/Iggys (last Olympics). I still think Hall's got a great shot, his to lose imo.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:40 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
His abysmal WHC-performance probably didn't do him any favours.

I haven't seen DeKeyser enough but Trouba is already a great player who'll only get better and the jury is still out on Petry imo. I'm still not convinced he's a top 4 guy at the NHL level. Maybe the US management agrees.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:43 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
His abysmal WHC-performance probably didn't do him any favours.

I haven't seen DeKeyser enough but Trouba is already a great player who'll only get better and the jury is still out on Petry imo. I'm still not convinced he's a top 4 guy at the NHL level. Maybe the US management agrees.
Or they already have 8-9 established top pairing Dmen available and don't need to invite guys that aren't.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:47 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
That's dumb, but atleast Petry gets a long break, which is good for the Oilers.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:51 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Or they already have 8-9 established top pairing Dmen available and don't need to invite guys that aren't.
That doesn't exactly make sense... Shouldn't you invite the best of the best to duke it out to see who exactly is the best? Canada didn't invite Nathan MacKinnon or RNH or Justin Schultz to "show them the ropes". USA didn't invite Jack Campbell. Russia didn't invite Anton Slepyshev. I doubt Sweden invites Klefbom...

I understand where you're coming from, but as a selector (not a developer) of talent, you'd have to attempt to build towards the future event, not the general future: I think USAH sees Trouba as a better player than Petry, and in that case, I wish them luck.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Thankfully, Babcock is the main guy in charge here, so he won't play Duchene instead of Crosby or something :laugh:

Babcock is a fan of big wingers who can score, like the Franzens and the Nashes/Iggys (last Olympics). I still think Hall's got a great shot, his to lose imo.
Babcock and Hitchcock also know who Hall is, unlike Ruff.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Lowe in Oil

Taylor Hall is the youngest Team Canada invitee!!

Nicely done Taylor!

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
How would Jamie Benn not be one of the ideal fits for a 4th/checking line? Two way player with a big body and nice skillset. He would be a hell of a lot more effective than many of the lower end skill guys like Kunitz, Marchand, Lucic in that role.

The Olympic team is always an all-star team, whether you like to believe it or not.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote