HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer 4500

Old
07-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Bulls9220

vCash: 500
Bauer 4500

Hey guys so I'm thinking about buying the 4500 helmet this week. One of my friends called it a concussion bucket but a lot of people I know have it and don't have any problems with it. The price on it is very nice but I was just wondering if you guys have had it or have known anyone that has it and if the person or yourself has ever had troubles with it.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:00 PM
AIREAYE

Get the helmet that fits you the best. Forget what other people say.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Fit is the most important thing. If a 4500 fits you, it's going to protect you.

I'm sure there are kids getting concussions in them 'cause 1) it's the "cool" helmet and they'll just buy it no matter what their head shape is and 2) you run the risk of getting a concussion in any helmet.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:28 AM
intangible

The 4500 is known for its more iconic styling, but there's no doubt that it isn't as protective as the newer, better series. The 4500 just tends to the one NHLers use because they like the styling. There was a conversation about the 4500 series on one of the NHL Center Ice programs a while ago and how NHLers shouldn't be wearing it because it doesn't offer enough protection.

Last edited by intangible: 07-20-2013 at 12:39 AM.
intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:46 AM
StoneColdGMJN

A shoulder to the jaw is a shoulder to the jaw, and no helmet is going to protect you from that. No matter what helmet you wear, if you knock your head hard enough your going to get concussed. It's just a matter of finding whatever fits and stays on your head the best.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 04:49 AM
KareyPrice

I've worn the Bauer 4000/4500 since I was 9 ( I just turned 20 ) and started AA to now when I play Jr. A currently and have never had a concussion so don't listen to those people, just make sure the helmet fits properly but I love that helmet imo

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:26 AM
bleedgreen

I've worn the same 4000 for ten years and all kinds of craziness. I've had a couple of minor concussions, they were from blows to the face and the helmet had nothing to do with it. Not leading with my face would've helped me more than a different helmet.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:32 PM
deadphish23

I've got one and it is pretty Ok I guess. I've never thought of it as cool, or stylish though. Maybe I will now

deadphish23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No helmet has been proven better or worse than any other when it comes to concussions. The 4500 might be the most popular helmet of all time. Fit is the #1 thing though. I could never wear one because it was too narrow for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
intangible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrsMullet View Post
Not true.
Care to elaborate? This was per a conversation on numerous games and on an NHL Center Ice bit about the helmet and concussions. I trust them over you.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Superstar Treatment

It's an approved helmet. There's not really much more to it. It meets all the standards, which are already above that you'll normally encounter.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There's a lot of speculation and hyperbole, but nothing has been proven. The HECC certifies helmets pass/fail, not a grading system. The purpose of a helmet is to prevent injury to the skull, not to prevent concussions.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
intangible

Of course a properly fitted helmet is going to be more protective than one that isn't. No one is debating that. At debate here is whether the 4500 is a protective helmet at all.

Any goalie will tell you the Bauer 1400 -- a goalie helmet that is HECC, CSA, and CE approved -- is otherwise called the "Widowmaker." Why? It's a crappy helmet that isn't nearly protective enough even at low levels of adult hockey.

The Bauer 4500 is the Bauer 1400 goalie helmet: yeah, it might be approved, but it's nowhere near the amount of protection as the Re-Akt. That's incontrovertible.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
AIREAYE

I get where you're coming from on the goalie side because there absolutely exists a huge divide in the mask market where cheaper ones can go for a couple hundred while top end pro ones end up in the four digit range. The same huge divide doesn't exist in the skater helmet though, because the type of impacts that each are trying to address are different. You can argue that the quality of foams and such differentiate level of protection, and you'd be absolutely right though.

However, while you might have 'lower end' helmets like the 2100 or 4500, you also have 'higher end' ones that are (imo) absolute crap, like the IMS7.0 or the M11. The divide exists, but not as significantly as in goalie masks.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Re-Akt has not been independently proven to be any more effective than the 4500 at reducing concussions. The M11 had to retract all their claims to concussion prevention as well.

For goalie vs skater helmets...well goalies routinely take pucks to the head. For skaters, it's not really a concern. Padding is great at dispersing the impact of a puck on the helmet, which is why goalies should invest in a quality helmet/mask. But the big danger for skaters is a blindside hit or getting boarded and then their head hitting the ice for a second impact. Not really a concern for goalies. And not something that a thin piece of padding can mitigate.

A big concern is rotational forces. Can a helmet prevent your head from twisting? Obviously not, unless the helmet is coupled with a neck and head brace.

A very recent study says expensive football helmets don't prevent concussions. And considering how much larger football helmets are than hockey, what chance does a tiny amount of padding have to help us with high speed collisions? Direct quote:

Quote:
"The helmet technology is advanced as it can be. They've done a wonderful job. We don't have skull fractures in football," he said. "But I don't know how much padding can be put in to prevent the brain from sloshing around inside the cranium."
The function of a helmet is to prevent your skull from being split open. The padding is there to disperse those direct forces and for comfort. That's the difference between cheap and expensive helmets.

Quote:
"In terms of equipment, there really isn't that much more we can do," Ambrose said. "Where we have a lot of potential for reducing concussion is the way the game is played."
That's the key, the way the game is played. If you want to prevent concussions, you have to avoid the big hits to the head and nasty collisions along the boards.

My point is that the 4500 passed all the same certification. There's no scientific proof as of yet that any helmet is better than any helmet with concussions. If you like the look and feel of the 4500, if it fits and is comfortable, then wear it and don't feel like you're putting yourself at risk.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
bad tape job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's a lot of speculation and hyperbole, but nothing has been proven. The HECC certifies helmets pass/fail, not a grading system. The purpose of a helmet is to prevent injury to the skull, not to prevent concussions.
That is correct! A 4500 will do that as well as the newest M11.

bad tape job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:43 PM
SkateThroughIt

I bought the 4500 because of weight, I had a 9900 and it was a little heavy. Didn't CCM/Reebok sue Bauer over the false advertisement of protection against concussions. They said the Bauer helmets weren't proven to do anything more than the CCM helmets.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
TLow97

I've got a 4500, bought it because it is one of the few lids on the market that are sized in XL. Does the job for my square head.

As far as concussions go, isn't it recommended to strengthen neck muscles?

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
CMammoliti81

I work at Pro Hockey Life in Vaughan Mills mall just north of Toronto. I work in the protective and sticks departments. The 4500 helmet is a great helmet for the price. Although the foam inside is pretty standard, alot of NHLers such as Toews and Grabobvski wear this helmet because its very comfortable and very simple. A feature with it is that as you start to sweat in it, the foam starts to fit to your head better and the foam gets softer for a more custom and comfortable fit, great buy with this helmet and can't go wrong

CMammoliti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Superstar Treatment

It's also worth noting, a bunch of pros wear the shell of whatever company's top helmet but with VN in it.

Old
07-25-2013, 06:46 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
It's also worth noting, a bunch of pros wear the shell of whatever company's top helmet but with VN in it.
Very very rarely. Most of the time, what you see is what it actually is. I only know of the pro Krown and Kane did something before he got into the ReAkt.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Superstar Treatment

The 9900 shell is the most common one I've seen. I know the first run of reakts in the NHL were actually just retail helmets but this year you see more VN returns.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
AIREAYE

it could be that the 5100 shell closely resembles the 9900.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
PuckyTheWhale

I recently got one cause it looks cool, not worried about concussions cause im going to be playing in non-checking leagues for the rest of my life.

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:13 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad tape job View Post
That is correct! A 4500 will do that as well as the newest M11.
I'm going to have to disagree with these a bit. I have worked in the bicycle industry, have dealt with motor racing helmets and now work in hockey as well and I can say that not all helmets protect the same just because it passes a standardized test.

Yes, all helmets pass the basic test, but as was said, its basically a pass/fail system.

What we do not know is by what margin that test was passed. It could be very likely that a helmet such as the 4500 barely passed the test, or passed it with a ton of room to spare. The same can be said for any helmet out there, we do not know by how much a helmet passed the test. In school we all know that C is passing, but an A is a better score.

Just because a helmet passes, does not mean that it is just as protective.

Then you get into multiple impact testing and testing for different kinds of impacts. Where these helmets really will separate themselves can be in this area, though there is no formal testing for this.

VN foam can be very good for keeping its shape and being able to retain its ability to handle multiple impacts. Foams such as EPP are not nearly as good as returning to their original state after large impacts. They do a better job absorbing a very large impact, but then they're "used up" for lack of a better description, where VN might not take the initial impact as well, but can take multiple small ones better.

Then there is the M11 which doesnt use foam at all and in its independent testing has shown the ability to return to its original shape better than most, thereby allowing for more protection in a third or fourth significant impact.

So the bottom line is there is no one "do it all" best helmet. All helmets can meet some basic requirement, but we will never know if it barely squeaks through, or did it pass with flying colors. Also, depending on the kind of impact one helmet may be better than another.

So where does that leave us?

Basically, where we started. Look to the helmet that fits you the best, is the most comfortable and one that you'll wear correctly. That will give you the best chance of protection. Beyond that, you can try to look at all the different designs and bet on what will be the mostly likely impact you'll face and try to use the manufacturer information to gauge which design will serve you best.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote