HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr or Morrow?

View Poll Results: Which one would you take?
Jagr 85 31.02%
Morrow 125 45.62%
Neither 37 13.50%
Both 27 9.85%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2013, 03:08 AM
HockeyF3ind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
I think we haven't watched the same playoff. And I don't even want Jagr on this team.
Yeah he set up some pivotal goals in the Bruins playoff run, which is why I want him for a year.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Rexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
wrong...

he has been using montreal to get more money out of other locals...
I understand but why would he, out of all the teams, be using only Montreal to do this, and for three years in a row? Especially as Montreal isn't exactly known for attracting a lot of UFAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Let me help you. You are calling people (the vast majority, I must say) clueless about hockey for voting for Morrow and in the same breath, you're comparing Morrow/Jagr (at this stage in their career) to Anderson/Gretzky. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?
No, my point was that taking Morrow over Jágr is similar to taking Anderson over Gretzky just because the former was tougher and played with more grit. No where in my post was I directly comparing these players or claiming they were close in terms of capabilities.

Last edited by Rexor: 07-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:29 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
All depends on what the cap and term hits are...

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Slackers

morrow if we can move moen

Slackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
ThreeWayy

Ugh. Honestly, there isn't exactly one UFA that I'd actually love for the Habs to pick up. I'm going off the board and I don't care if that makes me a crappy piece of crap.

If Montreal's going to bring in any UFA (other than maybe a roster fill-in like Jagr because he makes a little sense on a 1 year deal) then I want them to sign Peter Mueller.

Young-ish kid to fit in well with the young-ish-kid atmosphere the Habs have, plus he is formally an 8th overall pick and did have a nice rookie campaign. Mueller has nice size (which everyone seems to be screaming for in Montreal) and would definitely be a cheap addition with great upside. Moreover, he's probably more suited to be a centre, but has played wing often: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...uX1GraCk1ivLYF - Every game where FO% is N/A he played wing.
IMO, there's nothing better than a winger who's capable of holding his own in the dot when called upon.

ThreeWayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:29 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Spoken like someone who saw very few of the Bruins' playoff games, or at least wasn't watching very closely. If he didn't have the 4th highest amount of shots on their team, that'd be one thing. But he was, and if you go through all the play-by-play sheets you'll see that the majority of his shots on goal were well within 30-40 feet (i.e. good scoring areas). Considering the guy was a 14% shooter over the regular season, and that he still generated all those shots from scoring areas, I think it's more logical to conclude - having seen all the games or not - that it was just one of the more incredible examples of "snake-bitten" that the "common fan" of today can remember.

I also promise you that if you created a highlight clip of all the best saves/nearest misses for each goalie faced by the Bruins in the playoffs, you'd see Jagr featured numerous times. DJ Breadman is right to say that at some level the talent players are held accountable for their (lack of) production, but there are simply too many uninformed armchair pundits around here chalking it up to simply being unable to generate offense and/or produce offensively now that he's 40. Furthermore, there are also those among them expecting bigger things from Morrow, a 13-15 min/night player who generated a whopping 55 shots in 44 regular season games and 9 shots in 14 post season games this year on the Penguins, because he's younger, and think he's worth almost as much in terms of cap investment...
He wasn't a 14 percent shooter with the Bruins in the regular season,that stat is inflated from his time with Dallas.Sorry but I don't buy your argument.22 games without a single goal is too long a time period to classify someone as snakebit.It is not like he was playing with slugs either,he was on line 2 for the most part.I saw every game by the way,it was quite immature of you to suggest that I hadn't.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
S Bah

The Habs appear to have the team and depth in their system to make a run for the Stanley Cup. Another good speedster like Mason Raymond or the toughness and veteran saavy of Brendan Morrow is the way I would be leaning if I was Bergevin.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:05 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Morrow.

Sub-zero interest in Jagr for me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Neither. Time to move on, not to get older. Neither the Bruins nor the Penguins got their money's worth. Now let's see if Iginla can earn his salary from the Bruins.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:51 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
22 games without scoring a single goal is a little more than snake bit.
Nope jagr was still generating chances, and creating opportunities at a pretty good clip. Shots inevitably lead to goals, Jagr was unlucky. Nothing else.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 01:54 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Spoken like someone who saw very few of the Bruins' playoff games, or at least wasn't watching very closely. If he didn't have the 4th highest amount of shots on their team, that'd be one thing. But he was, and if you go through all the play-by-play sheets you'll see that the majority of his shots on goal were well within 30-40 feet (i.e. good scoring areas). Considering the guy was a 14% shooter over the regular season, and that he still generated all those shots from scoring areas, I think it's more logical to conclude - having seen all the games or not - that it was just one of the more incredible examples of "snake-bitten" that the "common fan" of today can remember.

I also promise you that if you created a highlight clip of all the best saves/nearest misses for each goalie faced by the Bruins in the playoffs, you'd see Jagr featured numerous times. DJ Breadman is right to say that at some level the talent players are held accountable for their (lack of) production, but there are simply too many uninformed armchair pundits around here chalking it up to simply being unable to generate offense and/or produce offensively now that he's 40. Furthermore, there are also those among them expecting bigger things from Morrow, a 13-15 min/night player who generated a whopping 55 shots in 44 regular season games and 9 shots in 14 post season games this year on the Penguins, because he's younger, and think he's worth almost as much in terms of cap investment...
Great post ohashi. It's nice to see someone get it from time to time.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
He wasn't a 14 percent shooter with the Bruins in the regular season
So? He was a 14% shooter on the season, and is, in fact a career 14% shooter. So pardon me if I don't weigh an 11 game sample (or even 33 game sample, if you want to include the playoffs) equally with an almost 1400 game sample. He still put up 9 points in those 11 games. Not only that, be he assisted on 7 of Bergeron's 9 playoff goals, and held down 1st line ice time throughout the playoffs on a team that made the Final. What is your 11 game sample supposed to suggest that's so much more important than everything else you can glean from what Jagr contributed to teams just last year - even in his 40s?

Quote:
,that stat is inflated from his time with Dallas.Sorry but I don't buy your argument.
I wouldn't sell it to you. I'd like to think that it deserves a better home. "Inflated from his time with Dallas"?! The same Dallas that "inflated" Benn's goal total to 12 over 41 games, or that of Derek Roy (who at age 29 was on pace for the worst goal scoring season of his career)? I believe Jagr was leading that team in scoring at the deadline, btw, with Eriksson and Whitney only managing 12 and 11 goals themselves by the END of the season. Did you even watch Dallas?? It was almost embarrassing that a 40 year old Jagr was carrying so much of that team's play, and that they were still leaning on Lehtonen to keep games so low-scoring.

And what's even more remarkable when you check, you'll find that behind almost every scoring drought for Jagr (whether with Dallas OR Boston) is a string of games where the opposing goalie was either the game's 1st star, or at least one of the 3 stars. 87 shots in 34 games with Dallas, 28 shots in 11 games (or 86 in 33, playoffs included) with Boston... he WAS generating offense the whole time.

Quote:
22 games without a single goal is too long a time period to classify someone as snakebit.
Yeah, statistically - even historically - speaking, in some respects. But what are you trying to suggest in the first place? What is "more than snakebit" to you, and what would that even mean? Is your final Dr. Recchi diagnosis 'nomoregoalseverforjagritis'?

Quote:
It is not like he was playing with slugs either,he was on line 2 for the most part.I saw every game by the way,it was quite immature of you to suggest that I hadn't.
When I doubt whether or not someone "watched" the game, I'm not doubting whether or not their eyes were pointed at whatever was showing the game.

If you watched enough hockey, you would have seen Jagr filling the same role on two teams with completely different fortunes and strengths, and you would have seen him generating a tonne of offense in both cases. Okay, "a tonne" is exaggerating. More like, pretty much what his overall shot and point totals suggest.

The fact that he still held down 1st line responsibilities on ANY NHL team as recently as last year should be reason enough for EVERYONE to want him in town instead of Briere or Morrow. The fact that he was able to get through more games last year than pretty much every other NHLer (lockout, therefore Europe/KHL, included obviously) should just be icing on the cake. The fact that he's the only one of the whole bunch that's up for discussion this year that is going to be a first ballot hall of famer should simply make it a no-brainer, considering the relative "bargain" he'll likely be, the possible fun of a Plekanec-Jagr union (who doesn't have fun watching Saku and Teemu?), and that there's relatively little pressure for the Habs to win it all next year on top of that ("contention" being "good enough").

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Good, Jar-Jar Jagr won't be in Montreal. Dodged another bullet.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Good, Jar-Jar Jagr won't be in Montreal. Dodged another bullet.
Yeah, but the law of averages says he'll eventually end up playing here in the next 12 years.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
BLONG7

Who's left? Morrow, Boyes, Cleary...Prospal...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Grabovski

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:20 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Grabovski
Trade for Clifford & Ellerby...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Go Habs Go

I like Morrow but he's looking for way too much. At this point I wouldn't give him more then 3 mil a year but he clearly thinks he's worth much more for some reason..

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Morrow will be a Hab BOOK IT!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Montreal should trade Gorges and Markov and sign Hainsey and Murray

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Morrow will be a Hab BOOK IT!
Inside info?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Montreal should trade Gorges and Markov and sign Hainsey and Murray
Komisarek & Finger would be better choices.

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Komisarek & Finger would be better choices.
Why don't we just shoot our selves in the foot, make everyone happy and save us all some time.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Why don't we just shoot our selves in the foot, make everyone happy and save us all some time.
You go first eheh!

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:31 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

hmmm hall of famer or gritty vet

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote