HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
  #401
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
When the arena deal was finalized didn't they mention construction was going to begin in early 2014?
Yeah, once the GMP is approved in Jan/Feb, they'll break ground shortly after is the plan.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=670939

Tarus is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:37 PM
  #402
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Yeah, once the GMP is approved in Jan/Feb, they'll break ground shortly after is the plan.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=670939
Ah, thanks. Somehow I remembered a later start time in 2014. Keeping in mind this is not fixed and assuming everything runs smoothly at this point with no funding or other snafus. Which the way this whole saga has been going I wouldn't count on it.

Replacement is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:42 PM
  #403
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ah, thanks. Somehow I remembered a later start time in 2014. Keeping in mind this is not fixed and assuming everything runs smoothly at this point with no funding or other snafus. Which the way this whole saga has been going I wouldn't count on it.
If I wake up in a few months and see the headline "City scraps arena deal, Katz announces Oilers moving to Quebec City," I'm blaming it on you.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:50 PM
  #404
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
If I wake up in a few months and see the headline "City scraps arena deal, Katz announces Oilers moving to Quebec City," I'm blaming it on you.
heh.

Given context I'm not sure my believe in arena when I see it stance is entirely unreasonable.

Or I'm just conditioned like this.


Whoops, I think I'm infected with losing culture. Time for change, there will be consequences..

Replacement is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:52 PM
  #405
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh.

Given context I'm not sure my believe in arena when I see it stance is entirely unreasonable.

Or I'm just conditioned like this.


Whoops, I think I'm infected with losing culture. Time for change, there will be consequences..
Try being an Oilers, Raptors, Blue Jays AND Esks fan...

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:55 PM
  #406
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Try being an Oilers, Raptors, Blue Jays AND Esks fan...
Masochist!

What you rootin around wit dem Tarana teams for..

jus askin fer trubble

RR he don no da curse

Replacement is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:58 PM
  #407
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Masochist!

What you rootin around wit dem Tarana teams for..

jus askin fer trubble

RR he don no da curse
I enjoy the pain.

(And Tony Roma's, apparently...)

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:04 PM
  #408
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I enjoy the pain.

(And Tony Roma's, apparently...)
Try da TaranaFC

Not too spicy, kinda bland, and cheap like borsht.

http://www.torontofc.ca/


I feel kinda dirty linking dat.

Replacement is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:06 PM
  #409
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Try da TaranaFC

Not too spicy, kinda bland, and cheap like borsht.

http://www.torontofc.ca/


I feel kinda dirty linking dat.
Yeah, that would complete the gauntlet of loser teams I'm a fan of.

Should also mention I'm a fan of the Canadian Men's National Soccer Team.

Cloned is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:09 PM
  #410
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Yeah, that would complete the gauntlet of loser teams I'm a fan of.

Should also mention I'm a fan of the Canadian Men's National Soccer Team.
Sigh, I'm a fan too, also of FC Edmonton. sigh.

Theres always the womens national soccer team.



Although on second thought I don't wanna jinx anything.

Replacement is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
  #411
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
So one of LaForge's declarations yesterday was that the Oilers are going to pitch for the 2016/2017 All-Star Game. It'll be interesting to see if Gary and the NHL oblige.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 05:10 PM
  #412
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
So one of LaForge's declarations yesterday was that the Oilers are going to pitch for the 2016/2017 All-Star Game. It'll be interesting to see if Gary and the NHL oblige.
they will get an all-star game soon after the new arena is built, pretty much every team does

jadeddog is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 05:23 PM
  #413
Hockey Nightmare
Stare of Death
 
Hockey Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
I'm actually more interested in getting the draft, probably because that's been the most we've had to look forward to lately.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
  #414
Dr_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
So one of LaForge's declarations yesterday was that the Oilers are going to pitch for the 2016/2017 All-Star Game. It'll be interesting to see if Gary and the NHL oblige.
Maybe having the All-Star game isn't such a great idea. Just think of it, bring all the NHL stars to Edmonton in the middle of February. All this will do is reinforce all the stars opinions that Edmonton is too darn cold in the winter.

The draft in june would be an excellent idea though.

Dr_oil is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
  #415
Del Preston
Fire Eakins
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Maybe having the All-Star game isn't such a great idea. Just think of it, bring all the NHL stars to Edmonton in the middle of February. All this will do is reinforce all the stars opinions that Edmonton is too darn cold in the winter.

The draft in june would be an excellent idea though.
Why would star players come to the draft?

Del Preston is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 06:38 PM
  #416
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Maybe having the All-Star game isn't such a great idea. Just think of it, bring all the NHL stars to Edmonton in the middle of February. All this will do is reinforce all the stars opinions that Edmonton is too darn cold in the winter.

The draft in june would be an excellent idea though.
I don't think it's any secret that Edmonton is cold in the winter. It isn't as if they don't visit here in the winter months normally.

Krut is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
  #417
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...
 
April Ethereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
So one of LaForge's declarations yesterday was that the Oilers are going to pitch for the 2016/2017 All-Star Game. It'll be interesting to see if Gary and the NHL oblige.
Yeah, let's not.

All we need is for players to have the opinion that this city is shambles affirmed.

April Ethereal is online now  
Old
07-24-2013, 10:05 PM
  #418
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of NHL players have an idea of what Edmonton has to offer and what it doesn't have. An All-Star Game at a new facility is already a step up on the piece of **** area and building they currently have to visit.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  #419
RipsADrive
Maybe this year?
 
RipsADrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Yeah, let's not.

All we need is for players to have the opinion that this city is shambles affirmed.
How would bringing the NHL's all stars to a brand new state of the art arena make them think the city is in shambles?

It'll be cold but that would hardly come as a surprise to anyone.

RipsADrive is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 10:47 PM
  #420
Del Preston
Fire Eakins
 
Del Preston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
How would bringing the NHL's all stars to a brand new state of the art arena make them think the city is in shambles?
Because apparently the new arena is going to completely destroy the city.


Last edited by Del Preston: 07-24-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Del Preston is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
  #421
OilGuns
Registered User
 
OilGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
I'm just saying but could you imagine if the oilers moved to Quebec, they lost a team that won 3 1st overalls in a row and then would come full circle with Nuge, Hall, and Yakupov.

I would be excited as hell, if the all-star game was in Edmonton.

OilGuns is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 11:28 PM
  #422
Kevotron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
lol players don't care if is cold... they are only here for a few months out of a year anyways, besides when a team visits our city in the regular season the players will be in the cold anyways, so all star game or not ppl already know we have snow and below 15 degree weather.

Kevotron is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
  #423
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Try being an Oilers, Raptors, Blue Jays AND Esks fan...
Oilers, Blue Jays, Cleveland Browns, and Cleveland Cavaliers fan here. I have a combined 40 seasons of no playoffs. The worst part with the Oilers is I moved to Florida right before the first cup and I didn't get back into hockey until the 90s after the dynasty. So I missed the whole run.

aqib is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 11:33 PM
  #424
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Try being an Oilers, Raptors, Blue Jays AND RAIDERS fan...
Imagine that existence

Valic is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
  #425
Muad'Dib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arrakis
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
From the chief of staff of Alberta Liberal Party

Quote:
@huck_AB: BREAKING: #abgov approves City of Edmonton Capital City Downtown Community Revitalization Levy #yegarena #ableg

Muad'Dib is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.