HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Predicting game outcomes

Old
07-22-2013, 10:07 PM
imperfect

vCash: 500
Predicting game outcomes

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about prediction of individual games on here or among the rest of the hockey stats community. All I've managed to find is this article from hockeyanalytics, and it's fairly basic. Does anyone know of other resources on this?

And a second question: is there any work done on how goal-making pace in the different periods are related to the full game? When I try to model total goals scored for a full game, poisson works fairly well but for specific periods it doesn't really fit. So does anyone know of any better way to model goal making in periods? Thanks in advance everyone!

imperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:47 PM
PavelDatsyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect View Post
I haven't seen a lot of discussion about prediction of individual games on here or among the rest of the hockey stats community. All I've managed to find is this article from hockeyanalytics, and it's fairly basic. Does anyone know of other resources on this?

And a second question: is there any work done on how goal-making pace in the different periods are related to the full game? When I try to model total goals scored for a full game, poisson works fairly well but for specific periods it doesn't really fit. So does anyone know of any better way to model goal making in periods? Thanks in advance everyone!
Goal pace increases in the 2nd and third periods (third obviously due to empty net goals, 2nd for whatever reason I'm not entirely clear on still). I don't have the exact numbers or even really ballpark numbers to support but on the top online books, 2nd period scoring vs 1st period scoring is usually somewhere in the region of -130/+110 I believe. And third period vs 2nd period is usually a very, very slight favorite just going off memory.

^ of very little use I know, but perhaps you can make something of it

PavelDatsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 05:47 PM
SnarkSD
Rookie User

I did some analysis a year or so ago. You can find more about game-by-game probabilities here. I would not use goals for - against, but use shot based metrics, transformed to goals for better prediction.

SnarkSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDatsyuk View Post
Goal pace increases in the 2nd and third periods (third obviously due to empty net goals, 2nd for whatever reason I'm not entirely clear on still). I don't have the exact numbers or even really ballpark numbers to support but on the top online books, 2nd period scoring vs 1st period scoring is usually somewhere in the region of -130/+110 I believe. And third period vs 2nd period is usually a very, very slight favorite just going off memory.

^ of very little use I know, but perhaps you can make something of it
Interesting. Maybe the long change?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote