HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CKAC's Souray trade rumour

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2006, 10:08 AM
The n00b King *

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He might be at "peak value" but it's a peak value for an impending UFA. I don't think the return we'd get for Souray would be worth losing him when we're a contender in the east. We can just sign a cheaper dman in the summer.
no such thing as a "cheap" dman dude.

unless you wanna sign a guy like Traverse...

A guy like Souray could EASILY fetch 4M$ a year.

Think Mcabe. Except he fights and sticks up for his teamates.

Plus c'mon. Would you REALLY want the sexiest man in the NHL to go to another team then the Habs?

Old
11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Guy Caballero

He won't be traded, IMO.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You can chose that. But odds are he is leaving this summer.
If I'm Gainey I have a good talk with him and ask him if we have the same chance as a west coast team to sign him this summer. If the answer is no....then I think we dont have a choice to trade him(if we want something in return).
I wouldnt mind Robyn Regehr.
Idealy I'd like to keep Souray I love him, he's got a rocket and he's intimidating and never lost a fight. But I'm also concerned at the $$$ he's going to be looking for if he plays like this all year.
I agree with you that if we can not re-sign him that you do make a trade to get something in return. However, I do beleive that Souray enjoys playing for the Habs and doesn't wan't to leave. And even if he is on the west coast, he still needs to take a plane to see his daughter. What's a few hours difference really going to make.

So all in all, Gainey will have that sit down with SOuray and I'm very confident that BG will be able to re-sign him in the $3.5-$4 range which I find is quite reasonable for the type of role he plays on this team.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
RC51

SELL HIGH, buy cheap.
Take the calls, listen to the offers.
Sauray is playing great. So the offer better be good to start with and if ( as noted) up to 5 teams interested you might swing his current value ( high) + a bonus from the winner of this lottery.

Anything other then the current market value is a waist of time.
He is not going anywhere.

Anybody thinking to steal him is DEAD WRONG.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:17 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Souray is playing like a man playing for a contract. That definitely benefits us at present. We have another defenceman in the mix that's in the same boat. Markov. Andrei hasn't been nearly as big an impact. He's put up some points, but been wildly erratic in his play. Bad passes, bad clearings, etc. have highlighted his play thus far.

I can't see trading Souray. As mentioned, we have two key people out injured. Until they're back, we really can't think about it. Once back, we have to consider the impact on our PP. Special teams is one of the reasons we're where we are in the standings. Moving Souray adversely affects the PP. Markov has the tools to be the weapon Souray is, but doesn't put them to use like Sheldon does.

As for 5 years and $20 million, well I don't see that offer coming. JFJ was foolish enough to do that with McCabe and Kaberle and he's handcuffed because of it. If Souray wants a long term deal, is asking price is going to have to be a lot lower. Otherwise, sign him short term for the dollars he wants and move him when there's a contract in place that will attract some value in return.

Any deal that involves Sheldon has to net us a guy that has the potential to be Souray for us. We can't remove that weapon without having a clear replacement in the mix.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:17 AM
viasyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He might be at "peak value" but it's a peak value for an impending UFA. I don't think the return we'd get for Souray would be worth losing him when we're a contender in the east. We can just sign a cheaper dman in the summer.
If we didn't have Souray, we would have a so-so PP and have more goals against than goals for.. So it's pretty obvious his important right now.. He's scoring at 16.7% while his average is 5.3%. So if he takes another 150 shots at 5.3%, that's another 8 goals for the remainder of the season. He already has 6, and most likely wont get much more then 8-10 more goals. So offensively, he's produced almost half of his forecasted output. That's his offensive side, and let's not talk about his defensive side (Spezza). So, while he has been tremendous so far this year, I don't see it getting better from here...

Last edited by viasyncro: 11-01-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old
11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Kafka

There is no way he is traded to Calgary at this point. Calgary has excellent wingers, an excellent D and G..... they need a CENTER.

Montreal needs are at D and C. Eklund rumor value: E0.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:21 AM
oop007*

Trading Souray would be stupid unless we'd get a dman better then him, which isn't possible im sure.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Buumbaclat

Staios is UFA too... so why even mention him?

Old
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
nobody has mentioned the sharks yet, i know they need a experienced d man....but im not sure they will give up any of their defencemen either maybe prospects

Old
11-01-2006, 10:24 AM
All-Star

Trade him to LA for Jack Johnson

Old
11-01-2006, 10:25 AM
viasyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityhab View Post
nobody has mentioned the sharks yet, i know they need a experienced d man....but im not sure they will give up any of their defencemen either maybe prospects
Maybe we could get a second Matt Carle from SJ

Old
11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Pierre Houde*

Personally I never got why we had to resign Bouillon, for especially that much. I'd trade either Dandy or him when they come back. NOT Souray.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I'm sure 29 teams have expressed interest in Higgins too. Doesn't mean he's being traded. Trading Souray now, even if some teams have shown interest, makes no sense. Our PP is built entirely around him. He's not a part of it, he IS the PP. every forward's effort is an attempt to draw PKers away from Souray and pass to him for one timers. You add to this dimension his invaluable toughness and leadership and I think it is pretty obvious losing Souray would cripple this team beyond recognition. It doesn't matter that he's becoming a UFA, the Habs aren't rebuilding, they want to win now. Unless we're out of the playoffs soon in the season, I'm willing to bet quite a bit of change Souray isn't going anywhere.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
jonboy18

souray to oilers for schremph and burgeron we would get a very good propect and a good defenceman that skates better than souray and could score like souray in the future

Old
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
RC51

What if the offer was Steve Bernier.

You have to give up something good the get Sauray.

I know the Habs Have good wingers comming, but think it?

Latendresse ? Bernier, in say 2 years.
Trade your way after that. Gainey can use "some" assets to trade.

Marleau would also fit nice but he is more expensive.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy18 View Post
souray to oilers for schremph and burgeron we would get a very good propect and a good defenceman that skates better than souray and could score like souray in the future
LOL, no way do the Oilers ever overpay like that.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Houde View Post
Personally I never got why we had to resign Bouillon, for especially that much. I'd trade either Dandy or him when they come back. NOT Souray.
I think Bouillon will make a great Dman in the new NHL. He has the speed and passing ability to get the attack going and doesn't rely on clutch + grabbing in the D zone. Imo he's a valuable Dman.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy18 View Post
Bergeron already scores like Souray. Last year he had 15 goals. Oils would never do that.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
One can only hope....maybe if we throw in the trump card?
*unveils box*
*crownd leans in close for a better look*
"TA-DA!"
A second round pick.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Bergeron and Lupul.
Too much for a UFA d-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Too much for a UFA d-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
Maybe we could get a second Matt Carle from SJ
Too much for a UFA d-man

Souray wouldn't get a huge return, the Habs are better off keeping him and trying to resigning, without him your PP would be in shambles.

Old
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
If Sheldon leaves via free agency, that's fine. It's a part of life in a cap era. However, there is no point in completely guttting your team of your main PP weapon just to avoid the FA situation.

It's ridiculous to even think along those lines, especially for a team which the GM says should contend for 4th spot in the conference.
Agreed...I have no problem with simply letting Souray walk at the end of this season (assuming we make the playoffs).

In the cap era, you're going to be seeing more and more of this...if Souray continues his play, that's great...he'll make us a better team heading into the playoffs and unless an irresistable deal comes along, there's no need to move him. Gainey can evaluate his options in the offseason

Old
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Oh they want Sheldon?

They better pay mightilly. He's the top scorer amongst defensemen in the league.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
ohiohabsfan

Unless it's for Jonathan Cheechoo, not interested in dealing Souray to the Sharks.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Too much for a UFA d-man

Too much for a UFA d-man

Too much for a UFA d-man

Souray wouldn't get a huge return, the Habs are better off keeping him and trying to resigning, without him your PP would be in shambles.

right.

dwayne roloson fetched what at the trade deadline?

and i dont wanna trade sheldon

Closed Thread