HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Don Lever speaks about Kostitsyn and Grabovski and others

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
  #1
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Don Lever speaks about Kostitsyn and Grabovski and others

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...128/CPSPORTS01

Hopefully this has not been posted yet. French article by Mathias Brunet.

Don Lever's Google translated quotes:

On Kostitsyn

Quote:
“Andrei is annoyed by faintnesses with the back but that does not explain all, mentions Lever, which spent twelve seasons as assistant to Buffalo and St.Louis before joining Bulldogs at the summer 2005. We repeat to him continuously that it must work more extremely and cease relying only on its talent. It still too often waits until its fellow-members do the work for him. It must also cease playing in an individualistic way. I see improvements at his place nevertheless, especially in what milked with its desire to gain. It is still too early to launch the towel in the case of a young person like him. But its major problem remains the communication and it continues to follow English courses. It must make more efforts to learn our language. ”
On Grabovski

Quote:
“It has to him also much talent but there are problems of communication in its case also and it learns English with Andrei. It must include/understand our system of play. All his offensive potential is seen but it must nevertheless play according to our standards. It makes the plays with its manner in this moment. It constantly awaits the master key to slip by in escape. It must be more active when it does not have the disc. That will take a certain time to him before being comfortable. ”
On Lapierre

Quote:
“He is our best player, known as Lever. It is a beautiful surprise. He brings us energy and a speed worthy of the national League. It only remains to him to improve certain details of its play to reach the national League. ”
On Chipchura

Quote:
“One cannot call in question his eagerness to work. But it will have to improve its speed, its balance on shoes and the power in its legs, in order not to be made draw aside from the play when it is in possession of the disc. It must also avoid the errors with its blue line if it wants to obtain the role of defensive center that the Canadian intends to entrust one day to him. That will come with the experiment. ”
On goalies

Quote:
“That does not go very well in front of the net, known as Lever. I do not believe that Yann is very satisfied with its performances (two victories, four reverses, average of 3,88, rate of stops of, 878). Halak had difficulty with its first match but it was replaced thereafter. We will begin a rotation and that which will be the best will more often play. ”

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
  #2
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I see improvements at his place nevertheless, especially in what milked with its desire to gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
It constantly awaits the master key to slip by in escape.
I LOVE GOOGLE (I wonder if they will ever get their translations accurate)

But I can still understand the jist of it (fortunately - thanks for posting it Munchausen)

A few of those comments had been mentioned by Derek Wills during games (like Kostitsyn trying harder to learn English, put effort before skill) and there are a few new ones there (to me at least). No suprise that he thinks so highly of Lapierre but I'm suprised he commented that Chip has to improve his skating. I know that is one of the areas he needs to work on, but considering they have only played 8 games this year, I thought Chips skating was quite good. Room for improvement, yes, but not really deserving of criticism. Although, of course, something may have been lost in the translation

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:40 AM
  #3
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
thanks known as Munchausen.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:41 AM
  #4
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,140
vCash: 500
the Good:

-Encouraging words from Grabo I believe, while some people thought he would make the Habs 2nd line 'cause of the few you tube videos they saw from him, I believe his progression will go nicely since the effort in his case doesn't seem the problem. I prefer seeing problems because of the system and style of play than effort and desire.....

-Lapierre, well there's nothing he said we don't know yet, but it's nice to hear again. The kid is so close of making it and when he'll make it, he'll be a fan favorite no question.

the Bad:

-Really dissapointed by Kosty. Like I said in another thread, I remember he said when interviewed when he was picked that he will show to the other 9 teams that chose before the Habs that they made a mistake.....And then there's tons of questions about the effort and the desire to perform that he plays with and can't keep on a daily basis.....Talent is there but he doesn't seem to understand that there's more to it than talent to go at the higher level. While he was dissapointed of not making it already, lets remember that we bashed Lats big time last year for bringing his dissapointment in Juniors, Kosty needs to be blame for doing the same.....Obviously, he's not a leader or a character guy, do need people around him to help him, doesn't mean he will not make it, but for once I thought he was a character guy, I'll have to change my mind about him. Not a bust yet, but definately not the gem of 2003, to say the least...... That being said, he should've start the year with us based on preseason I believe, and somebody tells us he'll pick it up and be recalled at one point this year.

- Goaltending is an issue, moreso for Danis than Halak. Halak is at his 2nd year of AHL, while Danis is a veteran now and is not doing as great as he's suppose to. That will definately have an effect when/if the Habs think of shipping one of their goalie for something else. They won't do it if Danis keeps playing that way.

Nor good nor bad: Chipper: I believe is further away than most people think not only for his lack of offensive production, but he has to be much stronger than he is right now, 'cause it's true that he's pushed around a lot more than expected. But as a great character guy that he is and his desire to perform, opposite of you know who, he will succeed, but it may be later than sooner.


Last edited by Whitesnake: 11-01-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
  #5
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
IT IT IT! IT's IT's IT's! IT IT IT!

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
  #6
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Still though, it's much > Babelfish.

Babelfish =

English to French Example:

I walked my dog to the park on the fine summer night.

J'ai marcher mon chien parc de le fine nuit de summer

LOL

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
  #7
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I LOVE GOOGLE (I wonder if they will ever get their translations accurate)
Me too. It's not that I'm too lazy to correct it, it's just funnier that way.

BTW:

I see improvements at his place nevertheless, especially in what milked with its desire to gain.
=
I see improvement in his play, especially regarding his desire to win.

It constantly awaits the master key to slip by in escape.
=
He's constantly awaiting the pass to go on a breakaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
A few of those comments had been mentioned by Derek Wills during games (like Kostitsyn trying harder to learn English, put effort before skill) and there are a few new ones there (to me at least). No suprise that he thinks so highly of Lapierre but I'm suprised he commented that Chip has to improve his skating. I know that is one of the areas he needs to work on, but considering they have only played 8 games this year, I thought Chips skating was quite good. Room for improvement, yes, but not really deserving of criticism. Although, of course, something may have been lost in the translation
Haven't been following the dogs as closely as you QGD, however there's one thing Lever mentions about Chipchura that I noticed for the first time in pre-season this year, which is he is easily knocked off the puck. I think it shows that his balance is not up to pro standards yet. This makes him quite a bit less effective for board battles and to protect the puck in the offensive zone.


Last edited by Munchausen: 11-01-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
  #8
DicAnns
Registered User
 
DicAnns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
So I guess it's safe to say people can stop proposing all sorts of line with Kost.

Our next call-up will be Lapierre for sure.

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
  #9
HabsSlappy
Registered User
 
HabsSlappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
It puts the lotion on it's skin.....

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
  #10
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Can someone confirm that Lap has a good shot?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:49 AM
  #11
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
You guys shouldn't torture yourself over the two goalies.

I've got a feeling Carey Price will be here next year, so....

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:08 PM
  #12
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
It's not fair to judge a goalie whose on a bad team. If your defense isn't helping you, you can't be held accountable for everything.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:26 PM
  #13
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Haven't been following the dogs as closely as you QGD, however there's one thing Lever mentions about Chipchura that I noticed for the first time in pre-season this year, which is he is easily knocked off the puck. I think it shows that his balance is not up to pro standards yet. This makes him quite a bit less effective for board battles and to protect the puck in the offensive zone.
I haven't noticed it being a particular problem for him. Every now and again he gets outmuscled for the puck but its not like its something that is certain to happen as soon as he touches the puck, at least not to my eyes. He has shown some confidence taking the puck into the offensive zone and set up some nice plays including one he got an assist for by skating round the outside of the dman, protecting the puck until he got to the side of the net and getting a backhand shot away, the rebound of which was put in by a teammate crashing the net. In his own zone, I don't worry when I see him receive the puck, even if he is hardly moving because for the past few games he has been solid and made good decisions. At the very start of the season, sometimes he would try to force something to happen ad he might end up out of position or making a bad pass, but I've barely seen that happen to him in the last 3-5 games. I'll hopefully watch him a bit closer tonight and see if/what I'm missing.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
  #14
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Where can you watch the Bulldogs? On TV?

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
  #15
Habs Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
It puts the lotion on it's skin.....
LMAO...

Clarice... are the Lambs still screaming Clarice... lol

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:41 PM
  #16
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Where can you watch the Bulldogs? On TV?
I watch it through the B2 Network. Some people don't like their service which is fair enough, but I don't really have an alternative so it does just fine for me. There is some info about it on the Bulldogs website. Costs a little bit to watch a game but you might not mind paying for a game. You need broadband though and on the B2 site there is a free preview you can use to test if it will work on your computer.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
  #17
oop007*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I watch it through the B2 Network. Some people don't like their service which is fair enough, but I don't really have an alternative so it does just fine for me. There is some info about it on the Bulldogs website. Costs a little bit to watch a game but you might not mind paying for a game. You need broadband though and on the B2 site there is a free preview you can use to test if it will work on your computer.
Thanks man. I've been wanting to get into the AHL. Never a bad thing about watching more hockey. Since the habs are my diehard team, I don't really watch any other NHL teams religiously. (Edmonton sometimes, who btw have a great team).

I wanted to be a bulldogs fan (even though aparently they suck this season).

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check it out.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:47 PM
  #18
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
It puts the lotion on it's skin.....

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:59 PM
  #19
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Qui Gon Dave: is it possible you could send the feed out somehow or if I paid for it, that I could?

If I'm going to pay 150$ a season, you guys may as well be able to watch it to. I wouldn't mind sending out the feed for games... I'm on videotron extreme... shud be able to handle a few people watching also right? Have it playing on a site or something...
Doubt I could. The technical side of computers does my head in, but messing about in flash or photoshop is just my kind of thing. I can't recall any terms and conditions for the B2 service but I imagine that what you are suggesting would be frowned upon at the very least. Whether it is technically possible, as I mentioned, I'm not the person to ask about that. Might be a good idea to buy one or two games first to get a taste of if you want to spend money for the season pass though, but its up to you. On most occassions (and I think all home games) you get the commentary from 820 CHAM with Derek Wills and Al Craig. Away games, you sometimes end up with the feed from the other teams broadcast, which so far in my experience, isn't as good.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 01:43 PM
  #20
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Now, where are all those fans who are repeating each and every single day that Kost is NHL ready and that his job was "stolen" by Latendresse ? If Latendresse took a job away from somebody, it is from Lapierre. I guess the Habs will soon get rid of Murray or Downey (or none - they have the space on their roster) and recall Lapierre in a near future. With Plekanec and Bégin, it would be an awesome 4th line.

As for Kostitisyn, after more than 2 years in North America, he should show more willingness to succeed and to learn English.

Maybe Price was really the guy they were after two years ago in the draft. Or maybe they were so scared of drafting Kopitar (from Slovenia) because they were afraid that he would turn out like Kost ! Sorry, I will say it again: Kostitsyn=very bad 1st round choice.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
  #21
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
As for Kostitisyn, after more than 2 years in North America, he should show more willingness to succeed and to learn English.

Maybe Price was really the guy they were after two years ago in the draft. Or maybe they were so scared of drafting Kopitar (from Slovenia) because they were afraid that he would turn out like Kost ! Sorry, I will say it again: Kostitsyn=very bad 1st round choice.
How can you make such as statement - are you a psychic? Yes, players that are uprooted from other cultures require an adjustment period. As far as I am concerned, Kost has shown he belongs everytime he has played for the Habs. And during last training camp he did all that was possible to stick and the only reason he didn't was because the choose Lats (because of his name) and because the had an option with him to send to the AHL.

I wonder how Kost would have performed if he was given 10 games with the Habs including stints on the second and third line.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
  #22
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Now, where are all those fans who are repeating each and every single day that Kost is NHL ready and that his job was "stolen" by Latendresse ? If Latendresse took a job away from somebody, it is from Lapierre. I guess the Habs will soon get rid of Murray or Downey (or none - they have the space on their roster) and recall Lapierre in a near future. With Plekanec and Bégin, it would be an awesome 4th line.

As for Kostitisyn, after more than 2 years in North America, he should show more willingness to succeed and to learn English.

Maybe Price was really the guy they were after two years ago in the draft. Or maybe they were so scared of drafting Kopitar (from Slovenia) because they were afraid that he would turn out like Kost ! Sorry, I will say it again: Kostitsyn=very bad 1st round choice.
Many players are nobodies until they reach a certain age. Doug Gilmour comes to mind. In his 3rd pro year he took if if I remember well.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
  #23
La Grosse Tendresse
Registered User
 
La Grosse Tendresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rouyn-Noranda
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,462
vCash: 500
Why hasn't Lever been fired yet?

The Dogs have been putrid ever since he came in, and they are showing no signs of turning things around, and I don't see any prospects getting much better because of him. . .

La Grosse Tendresse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
  #24
Harry Kakalovich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 879
vCash: 500
I'd like to hear what the players think of Lever. I think that guy's got to go. He doesn't seem to me to be much of a winner, and now he seems to be a whiner. I like Lapierre a lot too, but he'd play well with any coach. I'm big on Kostitsyn and I think the Canadiens had better bring this guy up soon so that he can show his stuff. He sure looked awesome in the pre-season for the Habs.

I'm worried about having this guy Lever coaching the prospects - the Canadiens have a whole bunch of good prospects and I don't want them drowning in a negative environment in the AHL. Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the Dogs took a huge step back as soon as Lever stepped behind the bench.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
  #25
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
How can you make such as statement - are you a psychic? Yes, players that are uprooted from other cultures require an adjustment period. As far as I am concerned, Kost has shown he belongs everytime he has played for the Habs. And during last training camp he did all that was possible to stick and the only reason he didn't was because the choose Lats (because of his name) and because the had an option with him to send to the AHL.

I wonder how Kost would have performed if he was given 10 games with the Habs including stints on the second and third line.
They did not choose Latendresse beacause of his name. Just because he was better than Kostitsyn during camp + the fact that they were not able to send him to the AHL because of his age. Do you really think that Kost would had done better on a fourth line (where Lats played for 9 games out of 11). NO

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.