HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which DRW players are likely to play in the 2014 Olympics?

Old
07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouBasedGod View Post
Not a chance. Third choice at BEST.
Well their goalies are pretty terrible and it's clear now he isn't at the top of the order. But they basically have Price and hoping he doesn't play like he has in the playoffs and maybe Luongo. I wouldn't trust either Crawford or Smith to pilot this team to the Gold. Crawford is looking a little better right now, but like I said Canada enters this with the worst goalie pretty much regardless in terms of the true contenders, maybe Russia could be there but they get the huge boost of playing at home.

Sweden, Finland and the USA are going to have a huge advantage between the pipes. If Bob keeps up his play so does Russia.

I have at least watched Ward be arguably the reason his team was in contention for good things and he has played on some dog teams hurting his case lately. But he has a lot of talent, shocked to see him out of camp completely.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:14 PM
crashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
As a Canadian, I sure hope Leddy makes the team.

Shocked like everyone else that Abdelkader got an invite.
Speak for yourself

Not only did I think he'd be invited, I really think he has a good shot at making the team. Abdelkader was excellent during the second half of last season, I can't believe the lack of respect he gets around here.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Well their goalies are pretty terrible and it's clear now he isn't at the top of the order. But they basically have Price and hoping he doesn't play like he has in the playoffs and maybe Luongo. I wouldn't trust either Crawford or Smith to pilot this team to the Gold. Crawford is looking a little better right now, but like I said Canada enters this with the worst goalie pretty much regardless in terms of the true contenders, maybe Russia could be there but they get the huge boost of playing at home.

Sweden, Finland and the USA are going to have a huge advantage between the pipes. If Bob keeps up his play so does Russia.

I have at least watched Ward be arguably the reason his team was in contention for good things and he has played on some dog teams hurting his case lately. But he has a lot of talent, shocked to see him out of camp completely.
i would likely agree with that, however Canada could easily ice two teams better then any other countries one team which should more then make up for it

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
however Canada could easily ice two teams better then any other countries one team
Results were kind of close last time, even with the Canadian A squad on the ice. I don't think Babcock and company are as confident as you are, if you remove Crosby, Toews, Weber, Doughty and Bergeron among others.

On paper the Canadian teams should always blow away everybody, but that's hardly been the case in recent history. Sweden, Finland, US, and Russia are always legitimate threats to upset.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i would likely agree with that, however Canada could easily ice two teams better then any other countries one team which should more then make up for it
Very Canadian opinion. They ice a B team that routinely gets its *** kicked at the World Championships each year.

These nations are a lot closer to Canada than they would like to admit and that B team has even worse goaltending than their A team, which is a huge problem right now.

Canada might be on paper the best team entering each Olympics avoiding that huge deficiency in goal. But it is closer than it appears and on international ice they have struggled mightily.

This archaic notion that their B team would do substantial damage needs to go away, it's insulting to the other national teams and in most cases wrong to boot.

Hell the Canadian B team might lose to the American B team right now. You take Quick out of it, but the American team would likely start one of between these four guys Howard, Schneider, Anderson, and Miller. The American blue line would still be decent and they would have some young and upcoming players up front that have NHL talent. That isn't a cake walk, even if the Team Canada team had a sizable advantage up front, they would carry the same weakness into this and it's even more pronounced on their second team.

This shouldn't come as hugely shocking this slide has started at the junior level and while they are busy thumping their chest or outlawing evil invaders from Europe at the goaltender position they are ignoring the fact the world is catching up. It's statements like our B team could medal that are helping this mentality. Sure they could medal, but both their A and B team might not medal, short tournaments are hard to predict. I don't see Canada going to the Gold Medal game with their A team this time, so hard to argue they are getting the job done with B squad.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Boomhower

ZetterbergEra, I think his point is that Canadian Hockey is so deep that the Canadian "B team" could even beat Canada's "A team" in a single game elimination format. So, yeah there is no doubt they could beat any other national team in single game elimination.

TSN's projected Team Canada 'A team'.
You could make the following ' B team' using none of TSN's projected 25 players:

Marleau - Thornton - Eberle
Neal - Spezza - Jeff Carter
Hall - Duchene - Ladd
Horton - Couture - Lucic
(Kunitz, Seguin)

Bouwmeester - Hamhuis
Staal - Boyle
Phaneuf - Alzner
(Green, Vlasic)

Brodeur
Ward
Smith

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
FlashyG

Canada only excels on small ice.

I'm not even expecting a medal in these upcoming games. For whatever reason our team never performs well on the big ice, whether it be Olympics or World Championships.

I don't think goaltending will be a factor for any of the top teams in an Olympic setting though. Nobody who makes a national team will be bad enough to cost his team games, without significant mistakes from his teams defence.

Team Canada will probably be the most talented team there by a slim margin, but that doesn't guarantee anything, the gap between us and the rest of the world isn't very wide at all...we just have an enormous amount of depth

FlashyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
ZetterbergEra, I think his point is that Canadian Hockey is so deep that the Canadian "B team" could even beat Canada's "A team" in a single game elimination format. So, yeah there is no doubt they could beat any other national team in single game elimination.

TSN's projected Team Canada 'A team'.
You could make the following ' B team' using none of TSN's projected 25 players:

Marleau - Thornton - Eberle
Neal - Spezza - Jeff Carter
Hall - Duchene - Ladd
Horton - Couture - Lucic
(Kunitz, Seguin)

Bouwmeester - Hamhuis
Staal - Boyle
Phaneuf - Alzner
(Green, Vlasic)

Brodeur
Ward
Smith
I disagree that would be a tournament favorite. I wouldn't put them as likely to medal. Team B of the USA could beat any team on a given night including their team A. They have this thing called goaltender depth.

Would Team B of Canada look good? Sure, but yikes that D and goalie situation isn't great. Though Ward could give them big performances, just not sure why the notion is they would also be favorites. They wouldn't be in my opinion.

Their depth is great, but that is also closing rapidly over the last couple decades. This isn't the same world of hockey that several of us grew up with.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:09 AM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Speak for yourself

Not only did I think he'd be invited, I really think he has a good shot at making the team. Abdelkader was excellent during the second half of last season, I can't believe the lack of respect he gets around here.

Lol at Abby being excellent the second half of the season, just because his first half was god awful doesn't make his mediocre second half "excellent". The guy scored maybe 6 legitimate goals all year, and half of those were in one game.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Lol at Abby being excellent the second half of the season, just because his first half was god awful doesn't make his mediocre second half "excellent".
If you just look at the stat sheet, it's easy to laugh. Abby was 44th in scoring last season... among American forwards. So not exactly impressive. So there's obviously other reasons they'd invite a guy like him to try out.

Realistically it's going to be Parise, Pacioretty, Van Riemsdyk, and Ryan that take the left wing spots, anyway. So let's not blow this invite out of proportion too much.

But this is an invite from David Poile, Ray Shero, and Brian Burke. Likely input from Dan Bylsma as well. Why would they bother to invite anybody they felt was mediocre? He's obviously been doing something right in the eyes of NHL GMs and coaches. So good for him and good for the Wings.

It's also a huge surprise Dan DeKeyser made that list of defenders. He's being placed into the same company as guys like Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba. I can't help but feel Team USA took note of how quickly Babcock put him into the fray and respect his efforts, brief as it was, tremendously.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
I disagree that would be a tournament favorite. I wouldn't put them as likely to medal. Team B of the USA could beat any team on a given night including their team A. They have this thing called goaltender depth.

Would Team B of Canada look good? Sure, but yikes that D and goalie situation isn't great. Though Ward could give them big performances, just not sure why the notion is they would also be favorites. They wouldn't be in my opinion.

Their depth is great, but that is also closing rapidly over the last couple decades. This isn't the same world of hockey that several of us grew up with.
I wouldn't say any Canada B team would be favorites, just a stacked team.
An American Team B would have world class goaltending no doubt.... but not much else.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:33 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
If you just look at the stat sheet, it's easy to laugh. Abby was 44th in scoring last season... among American forwards. So not exactly impressive. So there's obviously other reasons they'd invite a guy like him to try out.

Realistically it's going to be Parise, Pacioretty, Van Riemsdyk, and Ryan that take the left wing spots, anyway. So let's not blow this invite out of proportion too much.

But this is an invite from David Poile, Ray Shero, and Brian Burke. Likely input from Dan Bylsma as well. Why would they bother to invite anybody they felt was mediocre? He's obviously been doing something right in the eyes of NHL GMs and coaches. So good for him and good for the Wings.

It's also a huge surprise Dan DeKeyser made that list of defenders. He's being placed into the same company as guys like Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba. I can't help but feel Team USA took note of how quickly Babcock put him into the fray and respect his efforts, brief as it was, tremendously.
Thinks JVR is the thirteenth forward. Realistically Brown is probably playing on the left.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stepan/Stastny - Kessel
Patches - Stepan/Stastny - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan

Old
07-23-2013, 12:35 AM
FlashyG

Quote:

The US does not have better depth at any position over Canada IMO.

They may have a better top end goalie in Quick but if you go past their top 3 (Quick, Miller and Howard, you're left with Schneider, Anderson and Gibson.)

Canada could easily field 10 goalies better than Gibson.

I agree with you that Canada isn't really a favorite to win, but I don't think the US is much of a threat either. Neither are very good on the big ice.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Thinks JVR is the thirteenth forward. Realistically Brown is probably playing on the left.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stepan/Stastny - Kessel
Patches - Stepan/Stastny - Pavelski
Brown - Backes - Callahan
If Bobby Ryan shows up to play, I love that lineup. Parise and Kane on a line together is just speed and havoc for defenders. And I hate saying that, because you know... Kane. Ugh.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
I agree with you that Canada isn't really a favorite to win, but I don't think the US is much of a threat either. Neither are very good on the big ice.
So what you're saying is the Detroit Swede Wings will be lifting gold again, eh?

Old
07-23-2013, 12:47 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
If Bobby Ryan shows up to play, I love that lineup. Parise and Kane on a line together is just speed and havoc for defenders. And I hate saying that, because you know... Kane. Ugh.
Actually think I prefer putting Kane out on the left and running

Kane - Kesler - Kessel (I know terrible what people will do with that line but best fit for me)
Parise - Stastny - Ryan
Patches - Stepan - Callahan
Brown - Backes - Pavelski

I know almost everyone wants to see Brown - Backes - Callahan but I think there is an excellent chance Cally and Stepan are playing together this season in New York. If they do I think you pair them together somewhere in the lineup. This argument also could be a factor if JVR and Kessel start on the same line and are having a good season, might bump him from 13th forward up. Instant chemistry is tough to beat, so that will greatly impact how I look at the lines, hard to do this far out. Was more pointing out the preferred 12 I think are going in.

Stastny will be on this team though, he is the only left handed draw guy and he shows up big time in the USA jersey. Will be curious to see how this goes, maybe for his left handed ability to take a draw could be part of why Abdelkader interests them.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
So what you're saying is the Detroit Swede Wings will be lifting gold again, eh?
I think Russia is the favorite on home ice. Sweden has an excellent chance. Right now depending on injuries that would be my Gold Medal game this far out.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Bench
Realgud!

I always salivate over Datsyuk with Kovalchuk and Ovechkin, but it never pans out for them in the Olympics.

But who else feels the shadow hand of Putin will somehow rig a game or two?

Old
07-23-2013, 01:27 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsMike View Post
Highly doubt Abby makes it.
Drew Miller should probably go over Abby also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I can't see Gustavsson being good enough to make Sweden?
He wasn't good enough to make the WINGS last year yet for some reason Holland and Babcock have refused to consider MacDonald as NHL-caliber.

Gustavsson was, IMHO, the second-worst "regular" goaltender in the NHL last season.

Quote:
Believe it or not, Swedish goaltending is kind of in a lull. You've got Lundqvist, who is on top of the pile, but other than that it's guys like Fasth, Lindback, and Enroth.
All of whom are CONSIDERABLY better goalies than Gustavsson.

Quote:
Meanwhile Finnish goaltending is at some kind of apex. Rask, Neimi, Backstrom, Rinne, Lehtonen, and Kiprusoff. Impressive list considering!
Kiprusoff was the worst "regular" goalie in the NHL last season. The Flames picked up MacDonald to be their new starter last season AHEAD of Kiprusoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Are you serious?

Kane
Parise
Kessel
Backes
Kesler
Brown
Ryan
Pavelski
Oshie
Pominville
Stastny
Pacioretty
Van Riemsdyk
Stepan
Callahan
Wheeler
Legwand
Umberger
Okposo
The bolded are not in competition with Abdelkader for a roster spot in any way other than the fact that there is a roster limit. Some of those not bolded arguably are not as well. Granted, Abdelkader likely won't be there, unless he does very well in the first half with Dats/Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I dont think Ericsson makes it.

Karlsson
OEL
Kronwall
Hedman
Edler
Enström
Hjalmarsson

Then there's others that will get a good look like Brodin, Gustafsson, Oduya, S.Kronwall and Ericsson to that.. after the top 6 it's a logjam and perhaps he could get the 7th position but he has to play damn well to get that position
Ericsson is better than any of the "get a look" guys you mention, and better than Hjalmarsson. And most of the guys you listed do it based on offense; Ericsson is a big shut-down defenseman. He'll be there.

Also, I know he's not technically a Red Wing anymore, but Mursak will definitely be there with Slovenia.

Quote:
Actually think I prefer putting Kane out on the left and running

Kane - Kesler - Kessel (I know terrible what people will do with that line but best fit for me)
Parise - Stastny - Ryan
Patches - Stepan - Callahan
Brown - Backes - Pavelski

I know almost everyone wants to see Brown - Backes - Callahan but I think there is an excellent chance Cally and Stepan are playing together this season in New York. If they do I think you pair them together somewhere in the lineup. This argument also could be a factor if JVR and Kessel start on the same line and are having a good season, might bump him from 13th forward up. Instant chemistry is tough to beat, so that will greatly impact how I look at the lines, hard to do this far out. Was more pointing out the preferred 12 I think are going in.

Stastny will be on this team though, he is the only left handed draw guy and he shows up big time in the USA jersey. Will be curious to see how this goes, maybe for his left handed ability to take a draw could be part of why Abdelkader interests them.
Without putting too much thought in (or making any roster changes)...

Ryan/Stastny/Kane
Parise/Stepan/Kessel
Patches/Kesler/Pavelski
Brown/Backes/Callahan

I expect Kesler to play the 3C role (if he's even healthy) unless there are dedicated checking centers (say replace Stastny with Abdelkader on this roster, moving Kesler to 1C, Backes to 3C, and Abby to 4C). If Stastny's on the team, it's in a top-six capacity.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:29 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
I think Russia is the favorite on home ice. Sweden has an excellent chance. Right now depending on injuries that would be my Gold Medal game this far out.
This is how I see it going as well. Although I'm not 100% sure who is in what pool, but these are the 2 favorites in my eyes.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:37 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Kiprusoff was the worst "regular" goalie in the NHL last season. The Flames picked up MacDonald to be their new starter last season AHEAD of Kiprusoff.
Maybe my memory is going, but I seem to recall them claiming Joey Mac of waivers because Kiprusoff was injured.

He was never going to be playing ahead of Kiprusoff. Its not like he relegated Mikka to the back-up role last season and they tried everything they could to get him to play another year.

Then when he did retire they quickly signed Karri Ramo to be their new starter. Joey Mac is a capable back-up but he's no starting goalie.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:36 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

Ericsson is better than any of the "get a look" guys you mention, and better than Hjalmarsson. And most of the guys you listed do it based on offense; Ericsson is a big shut-down defenseman. He'll be there.
If I were Swede, I'd rather have Hammer or Brodin there.

On big ice skating becomes more important, favoring Hammer and Brodin. Ericsson has size and reach on them, not much else. Granted, it's important but still.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Detroit Swed Wings
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
If I were Swede, I'd rather have Hammer or Brodin there.

On big ice skating becomes more important, favoring Hammer and Brodin. Ericsson has size and reach on them, not much else. Granted, it's important but still.
I'm a Swede, and I'd rather have Hammer. But I don't think Big E would do 'that bad' on a big rink. I just like Hammer better.

Detroit Swed Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:50 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
The bolded are not in competition with Abdelkader for a roster spot in any way other than the fact that there is a roster limit. Some of those not bolded arguably are not as well. Granted, Abdelkader likely won't be there, unless he does very well in the first half with Dats/Z
The point being that USA has a ton of forwards that are simply on a different level than Abdelkader. There's a real chance that USA's 4th line could consist of 3 NHL Captains in Brown, Backes, and Callahan. And every single one of them are physical guys that can skate and play in the dirty areas. The whole "Abdelkader could fill a need by his work in the dirty areas" is simply outrageous to me when you look at the players USA has available. Good for him for getting an invite, but to me Abdelkader is not a player that excels in any area. I mean, when has he even been a real effective bottom 6 player? Some people seem to always talk about his willingness to do the dirty work, but news flash: he's really not that effective at it.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:54 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
The point being that USA has a ton of forwards that are simply on a different level than Abdelkader. There's a real chance that USA's 4th line could consist of 3 NHL Captains in Brown, Backes, and Callahan. And every single one of them are physical guys that can skate and play in the dirty areas. The whole "Abdelkader could fill a need by his work in the dirty areas" is simply outrageous to me when you look at the players USA has available. Good for him for getting an invite, but to me Abdelkader is not a player that excels in any area. I mean, when has he even been a real effective bottom 6 player? Some people seem to always talk about his willingness to do the dirty work, but news flash: he's really not that effective at it.
Another news flash, he must be a heck of a lot better at that kind of stuff than many around here are giving him credit for. This is a pretty selective list even if you don't think he has a chance. Look at these names, look at some of the guys they think he is worth a look over. Guys like Dubinsky for instance. Some hockey people certainly see something, they don't think he is hot garbage. Maybe that should slow people's roll, as we all know since basically Detroit's front office/coach is team Canada for this event, turns out other people evaluating his talent beyond just Holland and Babcock those normally trashed for Abdelkader see something. Heck you could argue with this they see kind of a lot.