HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
MacT is in the right place at the right time.

All the draft picks that we acquired because of how ****** of a coach he was are developing along with the ufa that we acquired last season under Tambo.

I liked the Perron trade when I firat heard about it but that was based on the wa he was playing before be got injured, I didn't realise he had concussions.

Signing Ference isn't such a huge deal compared to Schultz's signing last year.

He gets a d-, he's already finding ways to gripe about his own players and it's still just the off-season.

He seriously does need to be fired b4 he manages to wreck the team. If anyone can do it, it's him.
What? The guy that got a team with Shawn Horcoff centering the first line and Jason Smith on the top pairing to the Stanley Cup final is a bad coach? I'd say the only reason our team isn't Kane-Stamkos-Tavares-Hall-RNH-Yakupov is because of him.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
mkwong268

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
What? The guy that got a team with Shawn Horcoff centering the first line and Jason Smith on the top pairing to the Stanley Cup final is a bad coach? I'd say the only reason our team isn't Kane-Stamkos-Tavares-Hall-RNH-Yakupov is because of him.
Darn MacT and his excellent coaching for putting us in the position we are today...

mkwong268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
MacT is in the right place at the right time.

All the draft picks that we acquired because of how ****** of a coach he was are developing along with the ufa that we acquired last season under Tambo.

I liked the Perron trade when I firat heard about it but that was based on the wa he was playing before be got injured, I didn't realise he had concussions.

Signing Ference isn't such a huge deal compared to Schultz's signing last year.

He gets a d-, he's already finding ways to gripe about his own players and it's still just the off-season.

He seriously does need to be fired b4 he manages to wreck the team. If anyone can do it, it's him.
You were the same guy who made the Fire MacT thread.

So i'm not gonna take this very seriously.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

We still don't have a number 1 or number 2 defenseman.

We are so overloaded with 3-4, and 5-6, it seems like the same problems are going to come up again and again.

inb4 Shultz is top 2 (hes not).

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post

We are so overloaded with 3-4, and 5-6, it seems like the same problems are going to come up again and again.

So you wanna trade Hall for a legit #1 Defenceman? Maybe Nuge? Might be hard since his shoulder is messed, doubt anyone gives us a legit #1 for him.

I guess you'd like us to Package Nuge and Smid for a #1?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post

Rather have an abundance of 3-4 and 5-6 to create competition then just the bare minimum we have had the last couple years, there are no 1-2 defenceman available.

Mactavish went out and got the best ufa defenceman available, none are being traded and people still complain

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Hockey Nightmare

You can win or come close to winning the cup without a genuine top D man. It's been done before.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 11:53 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He wasn't the coach in any of the years we finished last (giving us 3 1st overall picks). Eberle was drafted 22nd overall. Gagner is the only top 10 draft pick we have from any of the seasons MacTavish was coach, and most around here seem to want to put him on the first bus out of town. So I fail to see how the "fuits of MacT's horrible coaching" has put this team in a favorable position.

Tambellini deserves credit for signing Schultz, but he wasn't exactly doing anything that 29 other GMs weren't already trying to do. Did Schultz chose the Oilers over every other team because of Tambellini's masterful management? I'd love to hear that case made.
Eberle pick is a bit of a misnomer. We moved our first rounder that year for Penner I believe (and I'm pretty sure that pick was the 12th overall pick and Tyler Myers). We got the Eberle pick from Ana for Pronger.

Still, I agree with your point that MacT always got the most of his line up. I can't imagine what he would have done with the top 6 that we have now - he never had anything close to that.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 12:03 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Eberle pick is a bit of a misnomer. We moved our first rounder that year for Penner I believe (and I'm pretty sure that pick was the 12th overall pick and Tyler Myers). We got the Eberle pick from Ana for Pronger.

Still, I agree with your point that MacT always got the most of his line up. I can't imagine what he would have done with the top 6 that we have now - he never had anything close to that.
We did, but that was kind of my point. Eberle had nothing to do with MacT's coaching.

07-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Baggers

Bumping this thread because of the Gagner signing.

I'm going to give MacT an A on the signing, considering he had little to no leverage and still managed to get Gagner to sign a contract which:

a) gives the team flexibility in the future

and

b) locks Gagner in at a (somewhat) reasonable rate.

Now, if he can get a decent return for Hemsky and sign one more depth forward, I'd be willing to give MacT's offseason an A. He wasn't able to upgrade the team's toughness, but there is really only so much a GM can practically do in one offseason.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:27 AM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
Bumping this thread because of the Gagner signing.

I'm going to give MacT an A on the signing, considering he had little to no leverage and still managed to get Gagner to sign a contract which:

a) gives the team flexibility in the future

and

b) locks Gagner in at a (somewhat) reasonable rate.

Now, if he can get a decent return for Hemsky and sign one more depth forward, I'd be willing to give MacT's offseason an A. He wasn't able to upgrade the team's toughness, but there is really only so much a GM can practically do in one offseason.
Great post! With the current cap situation of the team, unloading Hemsky without eating salary (or taking on a big salary in return) would be a great return IMO.

I think MacT looked at the 2005-06 team as a guide to what a team can do if it catches a few breaks and makes some good trades during the season.

They got Pronger in August of '05. So there's still hope for this season!

D could be a bright spot (I guess anything is bright compared to last year's black hole.) The Schultz's are both in contract years, so it's more likely than not you get good seasons from both of them.

If Eakins' reputation for fostering talent comes to fruition with J. Schultz/Smid/Petry the Oilers could see vast improvement from last year's squad.

Give Dubie til Xmas as his real make or break. No improvement in focus go find a replacement. The price will be steep, but I think the fans will accept a big payment for a goalie that can push this team into the playoffs.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:52 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

given the situation Mac was put in by Tambo, I think he acquitted himself rather well on the Gagner deal.

agreed on moving Hemsky and maybe adding to the bottom 6, but some of his bottom 6 signings we'll simply have to wait and see how they perform.

(Joensuu, Miller, etc)

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:28 AM
MrOiler

After the Gagner signing, I'm seeing MacT's performance as B+ to A-. No outrageously great moves, but a bunch of interesting moves. No home-runs, but lots of singles and doubles.

The team is better, but the question is by how much? There are still holes on the team. There will be growth by some of the younger guys, but it won't fill the whole gap. How much will become known this year.

Nonetheless, I didn't think that MacT could fix all the issues in a single summer - that's wishful thinking.

Some more toughness in the bottom 6 would satisfy me, for now.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:07 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
After the Gagner signing, I'm seeing MacT's performance as B+ to A-. No outrageously great moves, but a bunch of interesting moves. No home-runs, but lots of singles and doubles.

The team is better, but the question is by how much? There are still holes on the team. There will be growth by some of the younger guys, but it won't fill the whole gap. How much will become known this year.

Nonetheless, I didn't think that MacT could fix all the issues in a single summer - that's wishful thinking.

Some more toughness in the bottom 6 would satisfy me, for now.
That's a good way to describe it. I think he wanted to do more than he did but it just wasn't there so he did what he could. One things I do like is how he seems to know exactly what he wants from a team and is working towards that and I am a big fan of it. IN hindsight it really seems like Tambellini was just kind of flying by the seat of his pants. A guy with a real clear idea of what he wants should be more successful than a guy just trying to plug pieces together and hoping for the best.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:09 AM
alanschu

Quote:
No outrageously great moves, but a bunch of interesting moves. No home-runs, but lots of singles and doubles.
I agree, and I'd probably give him a B as a result. Nothing great, nothing awful. Some good effort.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I agree, and I'd probably give him a B as a result. Nothing great, nothing awful. Some good effort.
Yeah, good descriptions. Home runs are difficult to come by in this league, because every GM is trying to advance their own roster without giving up anything. MacT has made some calculated gambles that will improve his own roster and to move it forward by degrees. He's been more cautious than I expected him to be this summer, but the whole league has had a fairly cautious summer. I like what he's done overall; he's looked in some unusual places this summer to acquire players.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:23 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
You can win or come close to winning the cup without a genuine top D man. It's been done before.
Carolina in 06. Let me throw out some names... Anton Babchuk, Mike Commodore, Bret Hedican, Andrew Hutchinson, Frantisek Kaberle, Danny Richmond, Oleg Tverdovsky, Niclas Wallin, Aaron Ward, Glen Wesley.

Now, not all of them played in the 06 playoffs, but you can't tell me that a single one of those names is a 1 or 2 defenseman. Lots of 3-4 defenseman, though.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Yeah, good descriptions. Home runs are difficult to come by in this league, because every GM is trying to advance their own roster without giving up anything. MacT has made some calculated gambles that will improve his own roster and to move it forward by degrees. He's been more cautious than I expected him to be this summer, but the whole league has had a fairly cautious summer. I like what he's done overall; he's looked in some unusual places this summer to acquire players.
Yep, not even sure any really happened across the league. Maybe a few squeaked over the wall or just inside the foul pole, but not sure there were any towering, no-doubters.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:05 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'd give him a B rating at this point.

Positives:

-Getting rid of Horcoff's cap-hit
-Gordon & Ference acquisitions
-Perron trade
-Gagner contract
-Getting rid of Belanger
-Coaching change

Negatives:

-Our D is still very questionable
-Bottom 6 is still sub par
-Still lacking size, grit, etc. in our forwards
-downgrade in net

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Yep, not even sure any really happened across the league. Maybe a few squeaked over the wall or just inside the foul pole, but not sure there were any towering, no-doubters.
His biggest mistake so far has been promising the moon in the bold moves talk. I partly fault the media for pumping him up and as is typical pulling out the knives on Tambo, trying to place all the blame on him. If the moves arent there to be made for MacT then how were they there and not followed through on by Tambo? The team has been in a bad spot because of bad luck and management mistakes for a long time, since well before Tambo took over.

The Perron deal looks nice but it's pretty clear it wasnt there 2 years or even a year ago. It pretty much fell into MacT's lap kind of like the Ryan Smyth trade fell into Tambo's lap.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I'd give him a B rating at this point.

Positives:

-Getting rid of Horcoff's cap-hit
-Gordon & Ference acquisitions
-Perron trade
-Gagner contract
-Getting rid of Belanger
-Coaching change

Negatives:

-Our D is still very questionable
-Bottom 6 is still sub par
-Still lacking size, grit, etc. in our forwards
-downgrade in net
Khabibulin to Labarbera is a downgrade? I can understand sidestep at worst, however I fail to see how going from oft-injured Khabibulin to Labarbera is a downgrade. If anything it's a modest upgrade.

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:50 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It seems like he has overpaid for a few guys but we need that to attract players here. Getting a player for zero trade assets is definitely worth it if you have the cap space. Hopefully we will start to see some results on the ice

Retaining Smyth is a head scratcher though

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:54 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Is MacT all that much better than Tambi? Aside from that Perron-MPS deal, all he's done is brought in depth guys; Pretty much the same as Tambi. I guess everyone was all in tizzy over "bold moves" and "I'm an impatient man" etc etc. MacT is just much more open about his intentions than Tambi was. I kind of liked that Tambi kept his cards close to his chest, though. Less rumors/speculation/hearsay and less disappointment.

If Tambi had trades on the table, I think he would have made them. Doesn't seem like MacT is having much luck there either, though.
What's wrong with getting depth guys? We've had three first overall picks, a few other high picks, and got a talented college defenseman for free. We need to build around them, not replace them with idealized versions of what a playoff hockey team looks like.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
It seems like he has overpaid for a few guys but we need that to attract players here. Getting a player for zero trade assets is definitely worth it if you have the cap space. Hopefully we will start to see some results on the ice

Retaining Smyth is a head scratcher though
Smyth is a legend within the organization. He'll probably end up on the coaching staff because of the Good Old Boys Club that exists. Due to those factors, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Smyth is still on the team.

One last year on his deal, he's basically a playing coach at this point. Fear not, his time on the ice is coming to an end.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

I think the team will actually surprise a lot of people next year. Honestly if Nuge can play like he is capable and Gordon teaches Gags and RNH how to win a draw I think we will be looking pretty good this year.

Perron will be a big upgrade in the top 6, (no more Smyth in the top 6, Yak playing his off wing, Hemsky floating around etc)

We moved out a ton of the "loser" culture that has existed here (Just read the out list)

Ference was a top 4 defender on a stanley cup finalist and he was praised by fans of the B's he should come in and be an upgrade on Whitney.

Gordon won 57% of his faceoffs last year, that alone will help the team alot, (Adam Oates effect anyone?) he has the ability to match up against some of the best in the league as well.

Our defense will actually be able to make a break out pass this year after getting rid of the "depth" of defenders we had that handled the puck like a live grenade.

In

Ference, Gordon, Perron, Labarbera, Belov, Larsen, Grebeshkov

Out

Whitney, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Khabibulin, Teubert, Plante, Fistric, Belanger

Call me optimistic or hopeful but I honestly think this team will be a lot better next season, haven't felt this way for years. There are some question marks like C depth and bottom 6 players but honestly look at Vancouvers 4th line or Chicagos 4th line or San Jose's 4th line.. No one has a perfect roster.

Overall Grade - B+ (Questionable Bottom 6)
If he can add a guy like Clifford or pick someone decent up off waivers to play 3rd line LW I will move it to an A.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote