HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Yeah, we got a hell of a deal on MaxPac. He gets 5.5 - 6 on any other team. Too bad Price and Gorges didn't take a discount to help the team too. Price at 6.5 and Gorges 3.9 is just dumb.
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.
Whoa, there.

Old
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Best shot blocking Dman =/= Best defensive dman

Old
07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Good. Clearly went where the money is, as always.
Bleat bleat, goes the sheep... Seriously, it's amazing how many times this can be repeated by so many people who obviously have no clue. Here's Jagr's salary history combined with his signing history:

Before the '04/05 he had a contract with an $11 million salary (signed in '02/03).
NHL lockout happens, 24% rollback introduced, and Jagr still came back to the NHL. That same contract lasted until the end of '08/09, where he went from $8.36 million in the NHL to playing for (as far as anyone can tell) a $7 million salary in the KHL (plus bonuses).
He then re-signed for one year with Omsk for what his agent described as "lower base salary" (but with more bonuses).
He then comes back to the NHL to play for $3.3 million, which is surely lower than what he could have gotten in the KHL.

So, aside from getting paid what he earned after '11/12 and what he was worth last year (yes, a player of his calibre, despite his age, playing all those games, handling those minutes and producing ~0.8 PPG is worth $4.5 million - any Desharnais fan would HAVE to agree), there's almost a decade's worth of Jagr actually taking progressively less money in order to play where he wanted to. What a horrible guy...

Old
07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Whoa, there.
I'll... allow it. Proceed counselor Alexdaman, but you'll be held in contempt if you don't substantiate your claim.

(Pretend it's a gavel)

Old
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Yikes.. I love Gorges and will always defend him but I wouldn't go that far.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

I just read something insane... I think...

Old
07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I just read something insane... I think...
I just think of something....yes....you're on HFBOARDS!!!

Old
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bleat bleat, goes the sheep... Seriously, it's amazing how many times this can be repeated by so many people who obviously have no clue. Here's Jagr's salary history combined with his signing history:

Before the '04/05 he had a contract with an $11 million salary (signed in '02/03).
NHL lockout happens, 24% rollback introduced, and Jagr still came back to the NHL. That same contract lasted until the end of '08/09, where he went from $8.36 million in the NHL to playing for (as far as anyone can tell) a $7 million salary in the KHL (plus bonuses).
He then re-signed for one year with Omsk for what his agent described as "lower base salary" (but with more bonuses).
He then comes back to the NHL to play for $3.3 million, which is surely lower than what he could have gotten in the KHL.

So, aside from getting paid what he earned after '11/12 and what he was worth last year (yes, a player of his calibre, despite his age, playing all those games, handling those minutes and producing ~0.8 PPG is worth $4.5 million - any Desharnais fan would HAVE to agree), there's almost a decade's worth of Jagr actually taking progressively less money in order to play where he wanted to. What a horrible guy...
No taxes in KHL, low taxes in Dallas, New Jersey with lots of money to spend.

So really the only actual example you've given in which he's taken a "paycut" is with Philly. For all we know it was the highest offer, or just something he took so he could showcase his skills again. Even after the rollback, he was the highest paid player in the NHL. Nothing to scoff at. Oh and when Washington traded him to New York, he deferred $1 million of his salary...with interest of course.

Also, the "low end" deal with Omsk was $5 million a year, which is probably more than he made in the NHL after taxes.

Jagr is known to have had a gambling problem, as well as problems with the IRS from unpaid taxes.

Really sounds like a guy that doesn't care about money.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Forsead

Am I the only one who thinks that the Leafs overpaid for Gunnarsson contract.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Depends on how you value these types of defensemen who can play tough D minutes but aren't exactly in the mold of a physical/bruising defensive D. Would you say Gorges is overpaid?

Old
07-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Depends, would you say Gorges is overpaid?
Depends if he play like last season yes, but at the level of the year before it's pretty much a fair deal IMO.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:21 PM
76ftw

Price at 6.5 million is not crazy at all. When he signed it he was easily a top 3 goalie in the NHL no arguments at all. There was talk on here of him being the MVP of the NHL lol.

Price will bounce back from a bad 8 games lol.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:18 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutinside View Post
Only problem with what you're saying is that you'd pay Gagne more than DD because he has the potential to be a 60 point getter while DD already is a 60 point getter, or at least has done it already.

I'm no fan of his but at least he's had a good season. Gagne still has not and that on a team built on offense and hire powered scoring is an even bigger red flag for me.
Gagner was at a 64pt pace through 48 games last year... leading the oilers in ice time & playing significant pk time for them...

he's further ahead of DD in impact right now, and has a greater ceiling... that's why he's worth more imo.

Old
07-23-2013, 06:00 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Gagner was at a 64pt pace through 48 games last year... leading the oilers in ice time & playing significant pk time for them...

he's further ahead of DD in impact right now, and has a greater ceiling... that's why he's worth more imo.
I'm not a big fan of scoring paces. One slump here or there completely throws off those numbers, especially in a shortened season.

As for your other points, the same could have been said for DD last year when he actually scored 60+ points.

I'll take actual production vs. theoretical production any day. I especially wouldn't pay $4.8M for potential production for a player who's never done it going into his 7th season in the NHL. Oil got fleeced here. Like I said, they were better off signing Grabovsky and paying him DD money, IMO.

Old
07-23-2013, 06:06 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Price at 6.5 million is not crazy at all. When he signed it he was easily a top 3 goalie in the NHL no arguments at all. There was talk on here of him being the MVP of the NHL lol.

Price will bounce back from a bad 8 games lol.
huh... easily, yeah sure!

Old
07-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'm not a big fan of scoring paces. One slump here or there completely throws off those numbers, especially in a shortened season.

As for your other points, the same could have been said for DD last year when he actually scored 60+ points.

I'll take actual production vs. theoretical production any day. I especially wouldn't pay $4.8M for potential production for a player who's never done it going into his 7th season in the NHL. Oil got fleeced here. Like I said, they were better off signing Grabovsky and paying him DD money, IMO.
Desharnais = .65 ppg in 178 career games @ 27 yrs old
Gagner = .62ppg in 414 career games @ 24 yrs old...

And yet you're implying DD is more proven? Come on, let the straws go...

add in a better overall game, better physical tools, better skater & it's beyond obvious that hanger is a more valuable asset & worth significantly more.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
On the contrary I find they did well, 3 years and 3.15 mil cap hot for a solid top 4 guy is pretty low. The fact that he was an RFA definitely worked in their favor.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Just saw there's a thread on the Bruins board called "Montreal trades for Parros - get Thornton some help already"

Our toughness is the envy of the Bruins!!!11`!

Old
07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I think he has more upside, but so far in their careers DD has been more productive despite having less NHL experience. It shows the 3 year 3.5 mil/year deal is a very good contract. Gagner's cap hit is 30+% higher.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Just saw there's a thread on the Bruins board called "Montreal trades for Parros - get Thornton some help already"

Our toughness is the envy of the Bruins!!!11`!
Hahaha.. Yeah Thornton Lucic Chara Campbell Iggy McQuaid and Boychuk need help.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I think he has more upside, but so far in their careers DD has been more productive despite having less NHL experience. It shows the 3 year 3.5 mil/year deal is a very good contract. Gagner's cap hit is 30+% higher.
.03 pts/game is hardly "more productive ", ignored the pp production factor, and even then, only looks at "productivity" in the narrowest sense of the word.

Gagner is a better player with a better resume & more upside, at a younger age.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Hahaha.. Yeah Thornton Lucic Chara Campbell Iggy McQuaid and Boychuk need help.
Chara isn't a fighter. That's like saying we had a very tough team because we had 6'8" 260lbs of Hal Gill.

Iginla and Boychuk are far from enforcers.

Thornton Lucic and McQuaid are all middleweights.

They have a lot of team toughness, but no one individual puts fear into a heavyweight. Orr was running around and taking liberties against them in the playoffs.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
.03 pts/game is hardly "more productive ", ignored the pp production factor, and even then, only looks at "productivity" in the narrowest sense of the word.

Gagner is a better player with a better resume & more upside, at a younger age.
I agree he has the extra upside, but no way you can say he is "more productive" despite lower PPGM, at best it's a sawoff.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Chara isn't a fighter. That's like saying we had a very tough team because we had 6'8" 260lbs of Hal Gill.

Iginla and Boychuk are far from enforcers.

Thornton Lucic and McQuaid are all middleweights.

They have a lot of team toughness, but no one individual puts fear into a heavyweight. Orr was running around and taking liberties against them in the playoffs.
Didn't say there were enforcers, but every single one of them could fight Parros for 30 seconds and not have to worry about him for the rest of the game if they had too. Parros won't be "running around taking liberties."

Lucic and McQuaid middleweights? Lol Yeah Ok. Just because they usually fight middleweights doesn't make them smaller than they are.

and No, having Chara is nothing like saying we were tough because of Hal Gill. Yeah Chara has bad balance is an overrated fighter, but people are scared of him, no one is scared of Hal.

Closed Thread