HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXVI - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  #26
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Yeah, we got a hell of a deal on MaxPac. He gets 5.5 - 6 on any other team. Too bad Price and Gorges didn't take a discount to help the team too. Price at 6.5 and Gorges 3.9 is just dumb.
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
  #27
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.
Whoa, there.

overlords is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
  #28
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.
Best shot blocking Dman =/= Best defensive dman

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  #29
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Good. Clearly went where the money is, as always.
Bleat bleat, goes the sheep... Seriously, it's amazing how many times this can be repeated by so many people who obviously have no clue. Here's Jagr's salary history combined with his signing history:

Before the '04/05 he had a contract with an $11 million salary (signed in '02/03).
NHL lockout happens, 24% rollback introduced, and Jagr still came back to the NHL. That same contract lasted until the end of '08/09, where he went from $8.36 million in the NHL to playing for (as far as anyone can tell) a $7 million salary in the KHL (plus bonuses).
He then re-signed for one year with Omsk for what his agent described as "lower base salary" (but with more bonuses).
He then comes back to the NHL to play for $3.3 million, which is surely lower than what he could have gotten in the KHL.

So, aside from getting paid what he earned after '11/12 and what he was worth last year (yes, a player of his calibre, despite his age, playing all those games, handling those minutes and producing ~0.8 PPG is worth $4.5 million - any Desharnais fan would HAVE to agree), there's almost a decade's worth of Jagr actually taking progressively less money in order to play where he wanted to. What a horrible guy...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 06:56 PM
  #30
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Whoa, there.
I'll... allow it. Proceed counselor Alexdaman, but you'll be held in contempt if you don't substantiate your claim.

(Pretend it's a gavel)

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
  #31
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price is sort of okay at 6.5 (without thinking too much about the bad quarter of a half season he just had) and when Gorges signed his contract he was the best defensive Dmen in the league.
Yikes.. I love Gorges and will always defend him but I wouldn't go that far.

Rosso Scuderia is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
  #32
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,939
vCash: 500
I just read something insane... I think...

vokiel is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 09:59 PM
  #33
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I just read something insane... I think...
I just think of something....yes....you're on HFBOARDS!!!

Price My Man Crush is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
  #34
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,342
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bleat bleat, goes the sheep... Seriously, it's amazing how many times this can be repeated by so many people who obviously have no clue. Here's Jagr's salary history combined with his signing history:

Before the '04/05 he had a contract with an $11 million salary (signed in '02/03).
NHL lockout happens, 24% rollback introduced, and Jagr still came back to the NHL. That same contract lasted until the end of '08/09, where he went from $8.36 million in the NHL to playing for (as far as anyone can tell) a $7 million salary in the KHL (plus bonuses).
He then re-signed for one year with Omsk for what his agent described as "lower base salary" (but with more bonuses).
He then comes back to the NHL to play for $3.3 million, which is surely lower than what he could have gotten in the KHL.

So, aside from getting paid what he earned after '11/12 and what he was worth last year (yes, a player of his calibre, despite his age, playing all those games, handling those minutes and producing ~0.8 PPG is worth $4.5 million - any Desharnais fan would HAVE to agree), there's almost a decade's worth of Jagr actually taking progressively less money in order to play where he wanted to. What a horrible guy...
No taxes in KHL, low taxes in Dallas, New Jersey with lots of money to spend.

So really the only actual example you've given in which he's taken a "paycut" is with Philly. For all we know it was the highest offer, or just something he took so he could showcase his skills again. Even after the rollback, he was the highest paid player in the NHL. Nothing to scoff at. Oh and when Washington traded him to New York, he deferred $1 million of his salary...with interest of course.

Also, the "low end" deal with Omsk was $5 million a year, which is probably more than he made in the NHL after taxes.

Jagr is known to have had a gambling problem, as well as problems with the IRS from unpaid taxes.

Really sounds like a guy that doesn't care about money.

le_sean is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:09 PM
  #35
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 500
Am I the only one who thinks that the Leafs overpaid for Gunnarsson contract.

Forsead is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
  #36
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the Leafs overpaid for Gunnarsson contract.
Depends on how you value these types of defensemen who can play tough D minutes but aren't exactly in the mold of a physical/bruising defensive D. Would you say Gorges is overpaid?

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:18 PM
  #37
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Depends, would you say Gorges is overpaid?
Depends if he play like last season yes, but at the level of the year before it's pretty much a fair deal IMO.

Forsead is offline  
Old
07-22-2013, 11:21 PM
  #38
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,450
vCash: 500
Price at 6.5 million is not crazy at all. When he signed it he was easily a top 3 goalie in the NHL no arguments at all. There was talk on here of him being the MVP of the NHL lol.

Price will bounce back from a bad 8 games lol.

76ftw is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 03:18 AM
  #39
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutinside View Post
Only problem with what you're saying is that you'd pay Gagne more than DD because he has the potential to be a 60 point getter while DD already is a 60 point getter, or at least has done it already.

I'm no fan of his but at least he's had a good season. Gagne still has not and that on a team built on offense and hire powered scoring is an even bigger red flag for me.
.
Gagner was at a 64pt pace through 48 games last year... leading the oilers in ice time & playing significant pk time for them...

he's further ahead of DD in impact right now, and has a greater ceiling... that's why he's worth more imo.

Miller Time is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 06:00 AM
  #40
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Gagner was at a 64pt pace through 48 games last year... leading the oilers in ice time & playing significant pk time for them...

he's further ahead of DD in impact right now, and has a greater ceiling... that's why he's worth more imo.
I'm not a big fan of scoring paces. One slump here or there completely throws off those numbers, especially in a shortened season.

As for your other points, the same could have been said for DD last year when he actually scored 60+ points.

I'll take actual production vs. theoretical production any day. I especially wouldn't pay $4.8M for potential production for a player who's never done it going into his 7th season in the NHL. Oil got fleeced here. Like I said, they were better off signing Grabovsky and paying him DD money, IMO.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 06:06 AM
  #41
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Price at 6.5 million is not crazy at all. When he signed it he was easily a top 3 goalie in the NHL no arguments at all. There was talk on here of him being the MVP of the NHL lol.

Price will bounce back from a bad 8 games lol.
huh... easily, yeah sure!

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:21 AM
  #42
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'm not a big fan of scoring paces. One slump here or there completely throws off those numbers, especially in a shortened season.

As for your other points, the same could have been said for DD last year when he actually scored 60+ points.

I'll take actual production vs. theoretical production any day. I especially wouldn't pay $4.8M for potential production for a player who's never done it going into his 7th season in the NHL. Oil got fleeced here. Like I said, they were better off signing Grabovsky and paying him DD money, IMO.
Desharnais = .65 ppg in 178 career games @ 27 yrs old
Gagner = .62ppg in 414 career games @ 24 yrs old...

And yet you're implying DD is more proven? Come on, let the straws go...


add in a better overall game, better physical tools, better skater & it's beyond obvious that hanger is a more valuable asset & worth significantly more.

Miller Time is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
  #43
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the Leafs overpaid for Gunnarsson contract.
On the contrary I find they did well, 3 years and 3.15 mil cap hot for a solid top 4 guy is pretty low. The fact that he was an RFA definitely worked in their favor.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
  #44
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,959
vCash: 500
Awards:
Just saw there's a thread on the Bruins board called "Montreal trades for Parros - get Thornton some help already"

Our toughness is the envy of the Bruins!!!11`!

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  #45
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Gagner was at a 64pt pace through 48 games last year... leading the oilers in ice time & playing significant pk time for them...

he's further ahead of DD in impact right now, and has a greater ceiling... that's why he's worth more imo.
I think he has more upside, but so far in their careers DD has been more productive despite having less NHL experience. It shows the 3 year 3.5 mil/year deal is a very good contract. Gagner's cap hit is 30+% higher.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:42 AM
  #46
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Just saw there's a thread on the Bruins board called "Montreal trades for Parros - get Thornton some help already"

Our toughness is the envy of the Bruins!!!11`!
Hahaha.. Yeah Thornton Lucic Chara Campbell Iggy McQuaid and Boychuk need help.

Dagistitsyn is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
  #47
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I think he has more upside, but so far in their careers DD has been more productive despite having less NHL experience. It shows the 3 year 3.5 mil/year deal is a very good contract. Gagner's cap hit is 30+% higher.
.03 pts/game is hardly "more productive ", ignored the pp production factor, and even then, only looks at "productivity" in the narrowest sense of the word.

Gagner is a better player with a better resume & more upside, at a younger age.

Miller Time is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  #48
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Hahaha.. Yeah Thornton Lucic Chara Campbell Iggy McQuaid and Boychuk need help.
Chara isn't a fighter. That's like saying we had a very tough team because we had 6'8" 260lbs of Hal Gill.

Iginla and Boychuk are far from enforcers.

Thornton Lucic and McQuaid are all middleweights.

They have a lot of team toughness, but no one individual puts fear into a heavyweight. Orr was running around and taking liberties against them in the playoffs.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 09:03 AM
  #49
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
.03 pts/game is hardly "more productive ", ignored the pp production factor, and even then, only looks at "productivity" in the narrowest sense of the word.

Gagner is a better player with a better resume & more upside, at a younger age.
I agree he has the extra upside, but no way you can say he is "more productive" despite lower PPGM, at best it's a sawoff.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
  #50
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Chara isn't a fighter. That's like saying we had a very tough team because we had 6'8" 260lbs of Hal Gill.

Iginla and Boychuk are far from enforcers.

Thornton Lucic and McQuaid are all middleweights.

They have a lot of team toughness, but no one individual puts fear into a heavyweight. Orr was running around and taking liberties against them in the playoffs.
Didn't say there were enforcers, but every single one of them could fight Parros for 30 seconds and not have to worry about him for the rest of the game if they had too. Parros won't be "running around taking liberties."

Lucic and McQuaid middleweights? Lol Yeah Ok. Just because they usually fight middleweights doesn't make them smaller than they are.

and No, having Chara is nothing like saying we were tough because of Hal Gill. Yeah Chara has bad balance is an overrated fighter, but people are scared of him, no one is scared of Hal.

Dagistitsyn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.