HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (MHL) - Part II

View Poll Results: Does the MHL need a NEW thread for the 2013/2014 season?
Yes, it would be more convinient 1 25.00%
No, lets keep everything in one place 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2013, 02:27 AM
obskyr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
North American major junior hockey can pay, for each season played in major junior, one year of college/university education for a player.

Do MHL-A have a similar educational arrangement with its players? I mean, many MHL-A players can't crack a VHL roster, let alone a KHL one.
Availability of higher education in Russia is not that much of an issue to have this kind of arrangements. It's harder to get into an MHL team than a university.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
Availability of higher education in Russia is not that much of an issue to have this kind of arrangements. It's harder to get into an MHL team than a university.
Selectivity =/= affordability. But how affordable are Russian universities for Russian students, anyway?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:38 PM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Selectivity =/= affordability. But how affordable are Russian universities for Russian students, anyway?
It's not too hard to get education for free. And not too expensive to support an average (I'm not talking about elite schools) university student, most certainly not for middle class families capable of supporting MHL-caliber players.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Prizma is planning on staying in the MHL-b

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Prizma is planning on staying in the MHL-b
Shame about Prizma, our local league could of used them. Anyway, how on earth Chelny got a spot in MHL A? surely they could of found a better team 20th team in the East. Am I missing something?

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 08:49 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Shame about Prizma, our local league could of used them. Anyway, how on earth Chelny got a spot in MHL A? surely they could of found a better team 20th team in the East. Am I missing something?
it's no longer who wins the spot, it's whoever can afford it.

Why can't there be two Prizma teams, or one playing in both leagues, how it used to be?

Old
07-18-2013, 09:06 AM
ozo

Quote:
Why can't there be two Prizma teams, or one playing in both leagues, how it used to be?
Simply I wanted to solely focus on our local league as there is some sort of a mini revival going on. I have no real objections against MHL b as such.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
cska78

Quote:
Simply I wanted to solely focus on our local league as there is some sort of a mini revival going on. I have no real objections against MHL b as such.
mini-revival? why should a junior team be in a pro league? what kind of revival is that? If the kids who are older than juniors want to play on a prizma team in Latvian league and Prizma has the money for that, I am all for it.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
ozo

Quote:
mini-revival? why should a junior team be in a pro league? what kind of revival is that?
Who said anything about a pro league? It's just an indicator how bad things have really got lately.

Old
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM
cska78

there's a rumor that "Zubry" from Rostov will play in the MHL next year (they played JHL last year)

Old
07-20-2013, 12:21 PM
ozo

Quote:
there's a rumor that "Zubry" from Rostov will play in the MHL next year (they played JHL last year)
Hmm, I was under impression that everything was already finalized for next season as far as MHL structure is concerned...

And also, now you won't have an excuse to continue being a fan CSKA, as you'll have a local team from now on.

Old
07-20-2013, 02:15 PM
cska78

Quote:
Hmm, I was under impression that everything was already finalized for next season as far as MHL structure is concerned...

And also, now you won't have an excuse to continue being a fan CSKA, as you'll have a local team from now on.
well if there's a team for Rostov in the KHL I will be torn, otherwise CSKA it is....I am pretty sure, even if the rumor is true, it's MHL-b...I don't think that league is finalized..

but even if RHL-MHL-B both come to rostov it's a huge break through.

Old
07-20-2013, 03:07 PM
cska78

also great news, that teh team from izhevsk is back after missing last year due to lack of $

Old
07-20-2013, 03:56 PM
ozo

Quote:
also great news, that teh team from izhevsk is back after missing last year due to lack of $
Actually, I was surprised they dropped out last year, after supposedly Mechel sponsors went to Izhevsk's hockey. Still Izhevsk's hockey currently is in pretty dire state.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Vicente

Sorry if this was asked previously already but for the guys who follow MHL regularly. Do you think the level of play and the organization of MHL & MHL B has increased in the last years? Or is it more or less the same as in the first year?

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:11 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Sorry if this was asked previously already but for the guys who follow MHL regularly. Do you think the level of play and the organization of MHL & MHL B has increased in the last years? Or is it more or less the same as in the first year?
it's hard to tell, I think MHL exposes more players, but I am not sure the level would fluctuate much in such a short span. I actually expect it to decrease with the smaller number of overages.

Old
07-22-2013, 08:23 AM
ozo

Quote:
it's hard to tell, I think MHL exposes more players, but I am not sure the level would fluctuate much in such a short span. I actually expect it to decrease with the smaller number of overages.
Also we have to remember league now 40 teams, more than double of couple of years ago.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:49 PM
cska78

doesn't look like there's a team coming to hockey night in boston tournament, wonder why? level of competition or parents of american kids don't wanna play the Russians?

Old
07-23-2013, 02:51 AM
Vicente

Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of Russian MHL teams then to avoid a weaker competition and wouldn't it make more sense to have more teams like the one from Austria/Germany or Czech Republic who then would play with almost only local talent? So MHL would have access to a larger talent pool and the foreign teams are also happy.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:01 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to reduce the number of Russian MHL teams then to avoid a weaker competition and wouldn't it make more sense to have more teams like the one from Austria/Germany or Czech Republic who then would play with almost only local talent? So MHL would have access to a larger talent pool and the foreign teams are also happy.
The idea is to merge MHL A and MHL B one day, like CHL. It wont happen anytime soon, even league increased number of clubs in A this offseason.

It make more sense but "no interest of Euros=no clubs from Europe."

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:23 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
The idea is to merge MHL A and MHL B one day, like CHL. It wont happen anytime soon, even league increased number of clubs in A this offseason.

It make more sense but "no interest of Euros=no clubs from Europe."
So in the future we could have MHL West / MHL Central / MHL East (with different names maybe) in the way CHL is organized? Maybe its also better for Western European teams if they get an own MHL conference because obviously its not good if teams have to travel that long on road trips because of school and stuff like this.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:30 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
So in the future we could have MHL West / MHL Central / MHL East (with different names maybe) in the way CHL is organized? Maybe its also better for Western European teams if they get an own MHL conference because obviously its not good if teams have to travel that long on road trips because of school and stuff like this.
yeah, it is a long term plan, but when/if happens I have no idea. Efimov said that not within 5 yrs because the gap is too big now.

Sure, own euro division/conference make sense and I think it can happen one day, but we need more euro clubs. Slovan will join within a few yrs. Who else? I dont know. Maybe czechs, germans? Btw, Patriot Budapest is still here, will play next season

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
yeah, it is a long term plan, but when/if happens I have no idea. Efimov said that not within 5 yrs because the gap is too big now.

Sure, own euro division/conference make sense and I think it can happen one day, but we need more euro clubs. Slovan will join within a few yrs. Who else? I dont know. Maybe czechs, germans? Btw, Patriot Budapest is still here, will play next season
Wow. I thought Patriot project was dead. Weren't there rumours about it?

Well, you got the Red Bull team (GER/AUS), Karlovy Vary (CZE), Patriot (HUN) and maybe in the future MHL teams for Medvescak, Slovan and Lev Prague. They could play with MHL teams from Latvia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moscow, St. Petersburg...

Old
07-23-2013, 05:27 AM
cska78

Quote:
I strongly disagree, because the amount of pro-schools in Russian is huge and what's to happen to all these guys? At least with the MHL they can play into their 20's. There are aslo a lot of places to continue playing even if you don't cut it for RSL: France/Italy/Slovenia/Austria/Norway/Denmark etc., but the kids are too spoiled.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Vicente

Quote:
I strongly disagree, because the amount of pro-schools in Russian is huge and what's to happen to all these guys? At least with the MHL they can play into their 20's. There are aslo a lot of places to continue playing even if you don't cut it for RSL: France/Italy/Slovenia/Austria/Norway/Denmark etc., but the kids are too spoiled.
Ok maybe not reduce teams but they should find a solution how to keep the level of the competition high.