HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CKAC's Souray trade rumour

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Nobak

vCash: 500
If we traded all our impending UFAs every year so we don't lose them for nothing, we'd have pretty bad teams in the playoffs, no?

Old
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
right.

dwayne roloson fetched what at the trade deadline?

and i dont wanna trade sheldon
Edmonton gave a 1st and 3rd rounder....don't forget, they were heading into the playoffs (they hoped) and needed a goalie bad. Maybe at the end of the year, if we move out of a playoff spot, we'll be able to fetch something of good value to a playoff team near the deadline as well.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
If I'd trade Sheldon, I'd trade him to a very desesperate team and hold them up for all he's worth. It's not like the Habs are desesperate to unload him.

And then, I'd try to sign him when he becomes UFA.

Tell me you can't do that. It would be too crass.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
But personally, if somebody tries to inquire about a defenseman, I try to pass them a quickie and sell them Niinimaa.

We gave what passed for a second line center for him. Some moron somewhere could give up a real NHL level D-Man for him. Even somebody unspectcular. If he doesn't Brisebois all the time, he'd be ok.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
If I'd trade Sheldon, I'd trade him to a very desesperate team and hold them up for all he's worth. It's not like the Habs are desesperate to unload him.

Tell me you can't do that. It would be too crass.
HA! I'd love it....do it to the Flyers, LOL

Old
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Kirk Muller

Only way Souray gets dealt imo is if Montreal is out of a playoff spot, or Gainey feels there is no way to even sign Souray, or if a team is willing to deal a young defenseman with untapped potential for him.

Old
11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
But personally, if somebody tries to inquire about a defenseman, I try to pass them a quickie and sell them Niinimaa.

We gave what passed for a second line center for him. Some moron somewhere could give up a real NHL level D-Man for him. Even somebody unspectcular. If he doesn't Brisebois all the time, he'd be ok.
I'm VERY VERY thankful that Niinimaa is a UFA this off-season.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:08 PM
SimonSays

We should not trade Souray now, we should wait until the trade dealine where we probably could get very good value for him if a team thinks he's a missing piece for a Cup run. By then, Bob will have a few months in the winter to try to resign him, if it's clear he doesn't want to come back, well might as well trade him. Of course, ifwe look like potential Cup candidates by then, might as well keep him for a playoff run, his shot is a game breaker as we saw against the Canes.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
Souray is playing like a man playing for a contract. That definitely benefits us at present. We have another defenceman in the mix that's in the same boat. Markov. Andrei hasn't been nearly as big an impact. He's put up some points, but been wildly erratic in his play. Bad passes, bad clearings, etc. have highlighted his play thus far.

I can't see trading Souray. As mentioned, we have two key people out injured. Until they're back, we really can't think about it. Once back, we have to consider the impact on our PP. Special teams is one of the reasons we're where we are in the standings. Moving Souray adversely affects the PP. Markov has the tools to be the weapon Souray is, but doesn't put them to use like Sheldon does.

As for 5 years and $20 million, well I don't see that offer coming. JFJ was foolish enough to do that with McCabe and Kaberle and he's handcuffed because of it. If Souray wants a long term deal, is asking price is going to have to be a lot lower. Otherwise, sign him short term for the dollars he wants and move him when there's a contract in place that will attract some value in return.

Any deal that involves Sheldon has to net us a guy that has the potential to be Souray for us. We can't remove that weapon without having a clear replacement in the mix.
Agree with every point.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
RC51

Want I want, what you want does not matter.
This is a business, even the mighty Habs are a business.
It's Gainey's job to get the very best assets he can get for the cap room.
Everybody is for sale all the time. It all depends on the offer.
it's like the new show " DEAL OR NO DEAL" but remember, nobody sell their case for $10,000, NOBODY.

If you want my case you had better " SHOW ME THE MONEY"

Old
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I'm hoping he and Markov get re-signed here, long term.

Markov for 4 or 5 years, Souray for 2 or 3.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
White Snake*

Last year I may have traded SOuray straight up for MA Bergeron, but now not a chance in he**. AS for these names like Staois, I know he is solid but you are undervaluing Souray. Teams are interested because he is a fabolous d man. I dont hear anyone knocking on the door for Rivet. If a package like Marleau came along we would have to consider, until then they can screw off.

Old
11-01-2006, 12:56 PM
White Snake*

[QUOTE=Nobak;6951861]If we traded all our impending UFAs every year so we don't lose them for nothing, we'd have pretty bad teams in the playoffs, no?[/QUOTE

YOu would think more of these "hockey experts" would know this.

Old
11-01-2006, 01:28 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
If we traded all our impending UFAs every year so we don't lose them for nothing, we'd have pretty bad teams in the playoffs, no?
Depends on what you get back....and any of your trades were package deals.

Old
11-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
If Sheldon leaves via free agency, that's fine. It's a part of life in a cap era. However, there is no point in completely guttting your team of your main PP weapon just to avoid the FA situation.

It's ridiculous to even think along those lines, especially for a team which the GM says should contend for 4th spot in the conference.
go ask ottawa what they think about chara..
souray is no chara and we are not ottawa of last year..
so yes i would trade souray and get something GOOD for him if we can.

Old
11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
psychonaut

Montreal is not a cup contender, not yet so maybe there will be a trade souray would bring a very good return, since D-men are expensive and the market. Yet I dont think its would be done unless its true he want to be on the west coast, but I think he realy likes it here in Montreal. But can we keep both Markov and Souray?

Old
11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by izuma View Post
Apparently there are 5 teams from the Western Conference that have interest in Sheldon Souray. Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and San Jose Sharks are 3 of the 5 teams who have interest.

For who and Where would you think?

Haven't seen this thread anywhere so I thought that I'd start it.
Interested doesn't mean that Souray will be dealt. He is one of the leader on the Habs, and finally regain his touch on PP. As a 3rd or 4th D-man, he is fine. He,s got the size, the shot, and the leadership. No trade. please !

Old
11-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
right.

dwayne roloson fetched what at the trade deadline?

and i dont wanna trade sheldon
The Oilers gave a 1st+3rd, and a #1 goaltender is worth more than a PP d-man who is average defensively. Also, every one of those deals (Matt Carle, Lupul+Bergeron, Jack Johnson) is worth more than a 1st and a 3rd unless that 1st is a top 5 pick.

Old
11-01-2006, 02:19 PM
David_99

Quote:

That's what I was thinkin. Trade him for a younger D and a pick, keep the D, let Rivet walk if he wants too much, sign Souray in the offseason.

Basically trading Rivet for the price of Souray.

"Hey Sheldon, I have a plan..." -Gainey

Although yeah, our PP would suck come playoffs.

Old
11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers gave a 1st+3rd, and a #1 goaltender is worth more than a PP d-man who is average defensively. Also, every one of those deals (Matt Carle, Lupul+Bergeron, Jack Johnson) is worth more than a 1st and a 3rd unless that 1st is a top 5 pick.
The third was conditional on Roloson re-sigining as well.

Old
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm hoping he and Markov get re-signed here, long term.

Markov for 4 or 5 years, Souray for 2 or 3.
If things keep going the way they're going, I get the feeling that those are two guys we'll keep, or at least try to keep on defence. Unless there's an incredible offer, or we're out of the playoffs and Souray doesn't look like he's going to resign, I don't think he'll be moved. I really think Gainey will focus on him and Markov on defence, at the expense of Rivet and Niinimaa.

Remember we've got 12 FA's of which 7 are UFA and almost all are due for a raise. I could see Souray and Markov eating up most of Niinimaa and Rivet's cap hits and then we'll see how much our RFA's get and deal with Bonk/Johnson.

Unless the cap rises dramatically, we'll most likely say goodbye to Niinimaa and possibly Rivet on defence, and then possibly Bonk and/or Johnson up front. We're at 22,2 million with 10 guys signed next year, so things could get hectic. But basically I think Gainey will try and keep Souray and Markov as his priorities, and see what can be done after that.

Old
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Sumhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
Calgary would have to give up Tanguay or someone of equal value which would destroy our D. Edmonton would have to giev a combination of MA Bergeron and a good forward.
I agreed.

Old
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think Bouillon will make a great Dman in the new NHL. He has the speed and passing ability to get the attack going and doesn't rely on clutch + grabbing in the D zone. Imo he's a valuable Dman.
love this guy

Old
11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
Calgary would have to give up Tanguay or someone of equal value which would destroy our D.
It would destroy our PP...
Loosing Souray would probably improve our defense.

Old
11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
pavlako11

Taking advantage of your PP's is HUGE!

I really don't think there's anyone out there that we could get in return for what Souray brings to this team (as an UFA).

He's our Brian McCabe (with half the payroll). We know he's basically good for his offense and that he's going to have his defensive lapses.

Closed Thread