HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Bryz4shiz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Richards and Carter are long shots.
Everything I've read seems to indicate Richards is close to definitely going to be there. As another poster mentioned Carter was 4th in goals and has a history of great play for team Canada, so he is in no way a long shot either

Old
07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Curufinwe

The forward competition is very strong. Carter didn't make one of these Sportsnet teams.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...ympic-rosters/

Old
07-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Prelim Czech team released...

No Jagr
No Voracek
No Michalek

Clearly this is REALLY preliminary

Old
07-23-2013, 10:16 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

No Jagr
No Voracek
No Michalek

Don't let the main board see that. Voracek's value just dropped to a 4th round pick.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:17 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Jagr thread on the main boards is pretty good for a laugh if anybody is interested.

There's a poster in it who's spent the whole thread freaking out on anybody who doubts the Devils as playoff team or Jagr as a 60 point player for next year.

Good stuff all around.
Is it the same guy that was touting Jagr when we first got him saying he would score 110 points for the Flyers and most people like myself were realistically saying 55 to 60 pts (he finished with 54)?

Jagr on the Devils is probably a 40 point player at best and doubt he can put them in the playoffs..

Old
07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

No Jagr
No Voracek
No Michalek

Wow, who is on the team?

Old
07-23-2013, 10:18 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:

No Jagr
No Voracek
No Michalek

what's the source of that? Hadamczik (head coach) was quoted today that he wishes Jagr played on the same line with Elias so I would assume he definitely has him on the roster

Old
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Is it the same guy that was touting Jagr when we first got him saying he would score 110 points for the Flyers and most people like myself were realistically saying 55 to 60 pts (he finished with 54)?

Jagr on the Devils is probably a 40 point player at best and doubt he can put them in the playoffs..
I'll be honest with you, I think the Devs probably are a playoff team and that Jagr will probably score close to 60 points. I don't think they will be contending for a Cup, but I think that they have a shot to get in there.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

No Jagr
No Voracek
No Michalek

I don't know about Jagr but Voracek & Michalek should be locks. My guess is that they already know what they got in those two & ate giving some of the lesser guys some looks.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Hiesenberg

Broad Street Hockey tweeted a Czech article.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'll be honest with you, I think the Devs probably are a playoff team and that Jagr will probably score close to 60 points. I don't think they will be contending for a Cup, but I think that they have a shot to get in there.
Devils typically surprise b/c their players are pretty interchangeable due to the team philosophy with development and their system but Kovalchuck splitting really neutered them. Add Clarkson and then of course Parise before that and I'm not sure where they will get their offense. Jagr in Boston was ok but he scored not one single goal.....I can't see him helping that team overcome their deficiencies. One thing for certain.. the Devils will probably still continue to beat the Flyers next year but not as much. They just love playing their best against the Flyers and the Rangers of course..

Old
07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Broad Street Hockey tweeted a Czech article.
weird, I don't see any such tweet from the last 24 hours and also none of Czech sources reported a preliminary roster, including official webpage of our hockey association. We only had a sort of voluntary camp for candidates who wanted to come over last week and that's it

Old
07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
weird, I don't see any such tweet from the last 24 hours and also none of Czech sources reported a preliminary roster, including official webpage of our hockey association. We only had a sort of voluntary camp for candidates who wanted to come over last week and that's it
http://m.denik.cz/denik/c/olympijsti...-20130716.html

This is the article. I didn't read it, just took his information.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:52 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:

I see. This article has nothing to do with neither preliminary nor final roster. The names at the end of the article listed after "Hrči, kteř potvrdili čast" are just players "who have confirmed they will attend" this voluntary "get to know" camp for players from the NHL (basically all Jagr, Michalek and Voracek might have been invited but they chose to do something else). We will have the same camp for players outside the NA leagues in August

Tl;dr: it's a get to know camp for players from the NA leagues and whoever wants to come might choose to come, it's in no way connected even to a preliminary nomination

Last edited by kudymen: 07-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 10:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Google Translate puts out:

"Players who have confirmed their participation:"

Maybe Voracek and Jagr haven't confirmed their participation yet?

Seems fairly retarded that both could even imaginably be left off.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
If they're in the playoffs then the Flyers are likely out.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I wonder what happens if Meszaros doesn't get moved, is healthy in the press box this year, and the Olympics come up.

He's got to be a lock for Slovakia if healthy. I like Andrej, but he has no future with us. I don't want to hurt his chances for the Olympics, and I don't want to stunt Gustafsson's development.

We definitely need to trade him. The upcoming Olympics puts an odd secondary story to that though. It's not like his spot on the team is in default if he doesn't get playing time, but it'd be better for him to get his legs at minute-logging mode again by February.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:31 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I think the Atlan...Metropolitan Division is up for grabs. I don't think there are any teams that are out of the question, or any teams that are locks. If everyone stays healthy in PIT, I think they are the only team that can be considered a lock. The Rags are another year older and didn't really make any big moves, so they are likely a borderline team (as usual). If the Flyers can stay healthy I think they should be in the top four. Same with the Caps and Canes. The Isles and CBJ also look pretty good. The Devils always find a way. It could just as easily be PIT, NYR, PHI, WSH as it could be CBJ, NYI, NJD, CAR.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Dropping from Kovalchuk to old-man Jagr makes you a worse team. They were a top 10 pick this year, and they will be one next year. There's no real chance of them making the playoffs.

They weren't like us this year, a legitimate playoff team suffering from injuries and AHL-caliber goaltending.

Even if we have NHL back-up caliber goaltending, which is what the main boards seem to assume, we've improved substantially between the pipes. I think we have a great team, decent enough starters, and should we stay healthy, we will be in the hunt at the end of the season.

The Devils will not.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think the Atlan...Metropolitan Division is up for grabs. I don't think there are any teams that are out of the question, or any teams that are locks. If everyone stays healthy in PIT, I think they are the only team that can be considered a lock. The Rags are another year older and didn't really make any big moves, so they are likely a borderline team (as usual). If the Flyers can stay healthy I think they should be in the top four. Same with the Caps and Canes. The Isles and CBJ also look pretty good. The Devils always find a way. It could just as easily be PIT, NYR, PHI, WSH as it could be CBJ, NYI, NJD, CAR.
I consider PIT a lock and us a lock. (Call me crazy.)

WAS and NYR are the cream of the rest with CAR, CBJ, and NYI making a push. NJD is really the odd-man looking out and easily the worst team in our division on paper, even if they may end up being slightly better than that.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Dropping from Kovalchuk to old-man Jagr makes you a worse team. They were a top 10 pick this year, and they will be one next year. There's no real chance of them making the playoffs.

They weren't like us this year, a legitimate playoff team suffering from injuries and AHL-caliber goaltending.

Even if we have NHL back-up caliber goaltending, which is what the main boards seem to assume, we've improved substantially between the pipes. I think we have a great team, decent enough starters, and should we stay healthy, we will be in the hunt at the end of the season.

The Devils will not.
That'll hurt that they don't have one

Old
07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I consider PIT a lock and us a lock. (Call me crazy.)

WAS and NYR are the cream of the rest with CAR, CBJ, and NYI making a push. NJD is really the odd-man looking out and easily the worst team in our division on paper, even if they may end up being slightly better than that.
Oh yeah. On paper I 100% agree with this. But the Devils are always better than they look on paper. They always seem to find a way. Losing Kovalchuk sucks, but they have made some solid additions that should help them out. Obviously they would be better with him still there, but I think as usual they will find a way.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Oh yeah. On paper I 100% agree with this. But the Devils are always better than they look on paper. They always seem to find a way. Losing Kovalchuk sucks, but they have made some solid additions that should help them out. Obviously they would be better with him still there, but I think as usual they will find a way.
Well, considering that PIT is in, and we have the second best team on paper in the division, their competition is NYR, CAR, WAS, CBJ, and NYI.

Every team in the division has playoff potential other than NJD. They'd have to overcome a lot to be in the playoffs. Every game within the division is a game against a team that is realistically better than them.

They play 31 inter-division games. (5 against 3 teams and 4 against 4 teams.) That's 38% of their season.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

is it hockey season yet? ??

damn im excited for the new look roster and cant wait for OnB action on ice..

not to mention the return of the flyers to Vancouver during newyears eve.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Well, considering that PIT is in, and we have the second best team on paper in the division, their competition is NYR, CAR, WAS, CBJ, and NYI.

Every team in the division has playoff potential other than NJD. They'd have to overcome a lot to be in the playoffs. Every game within the division is a game against a team that is realistically better than them.

They play 31 inter-division games. (5 against 3 teams and 4 against 4 teams.) That's 38% of their season.
We shall see. It's all speculation. If everyone is healthy all year and everyone plays the way they are supposed, yeah, the Devils won't make it. But it never shakes out that way. Key injuries to key players. Slumps from key guys. Unexpected success for less-than-key guys. However it shakes out, I think I'd give the Devils one of the four spots. My guess would be WSH, PIT, PHI, NJ (with NYR just missing or just making it and squeezing one of those four out). Lord knows that I've been wrong before so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it, but I have counted the Devils out one too many times only to get burned in the end. The team isn't as bad as people are making them out to be, even without Kovalchuk. They still have Zajac, Clowe, Henrique, Elias, Ryder, and Zubrus. Josefson and Tedenby are still young and have plenty of room to build of their psat season. Loktionov is another guy that shows promise. And their defense and goaltending is pretty solid. I wouldn't count them out.

Closed Thread