HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 07:38 AM
ratdog07067

vCash: 500
The latest webcam image is from Saturday the 20th. Looks like they're sealing/painting the floor?

Old
07-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Any new picture updates on the screen? I hope it's as big as the Bell Centre's. But not so much bigger where it's distracting.
This is going to be a challenge because the Bell Centre has a lot more top-to-bottom space than the Garden...

Old
07-22-2013, 03:59 PM
NYCriminal

Quote:
Any new picture updates on the screen? I hope it's as big as the Bell Centre's. But not so much bigger where it's distracting.
i don't know if this is it but it could be

Last edited by NYCriminal: 07-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old
07-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Tackla

Why are they still renovating the MSG when they're going to tear it down in a couple years to expand the train station?

Old
07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackla View Post
Why are they still renovating the MSG when they're going to tear it down in a couple years to expand the train station?
I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
NYR2007

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCriminal View Post
The picture is missing the retarted bridge they are adding which will restrict a lot of people from viewing the score board or the opposite side of the arena

Old
07-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
The picture is missing the retarted bridge they are adding which will restrict a lot of people from viewing the score board or the opposite side of the arena
Look again.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Look again.
It's magic!

Old
07-23-2013, 07:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I really like the updated ceiling if that's what it will look like.

It seems like they added a row of lights or two (or continued them in a complete circle which should add needed light). The concentric light circles along with the circular scoreboard thats flush to the ceiling adds a softer focal point to the arena, instead of that boxy behemoth that just hung there, suspended several feet from the top.

One would have to think that they are going to repaint or resurface the purple cable ties that are up there (or cover them somehow) because that ugly color palette will be a thing of the past. I dont see them in the rendering, but those cables are a staple of the architectural design, so I think they would have to be present in some fashion.

I dont know if its part of the plan or not, but in the rendering they changed the typeface of the retired jerseys and team banners as well, which adds a cleaner, modern look to the rafters. Part of me feels like thats just the artist doing his thing, because I doubt they would change the classic lettering of the unis. But who knows.

I think when the final phase is complete, MSG is going to look fantastic - much more aesthetically pleasing. Regardless of if a few rows can't see the entire arena due to the bridges. I think thats being blown out of proportion a bit. (but im not the one with the season tickets there, so the frustrations are understandable in that regard).

I also think that the casual Rangers fan may never see the full breadth of the renovation, because they wont be able to experience what the many suites and VIP areas have to offer. I feel like every fan should be able to get a taste of that and they should reward longstanding STH in all sections with opportunities/raffles for game upgrades to unused suites before they drop the puck.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old
07-23-2013, 08:13 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog07067 View Post
The latest webcam image is from Saturday the 20th. Looks like they're sealing/painting the floor?

Um, did anyone notice the steel structure hanging from the roof that's in an oval shape? Looks a lot like the skeletal frame structure of the new panasonic gardenvision in the previous rendering image.

Where did you pull that webcam shot from ratdog? The latest shot on the Transformation site is from 7/2

Old
07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

I think when the final phase is complete, MSG is going to look fantastic - much more aesthetically pleasing.
Absolutely. If only you could walk around the upper concourse or buy a sandwich in less than 20 minutes...or imagine if they knew how much to order so they didn't run out before first intermission! So yeah, the inside will be nice, and as long as you have a gallery seat you'll even have enough legroom to enjoy the view.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Um, did anyone notice the steel structure hanging from the roof that's in an oval shape? Looks a lot like the skeletal frame structure of the new panasonic gardenvision in the previous rendering image.

Where did you pull that webcam shot from ratdog? The latest shot on the Transformation site is from 7/2
Advance your system clock by a month and refresh...

Old
07-23-2013, 10:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Advance your system clock by a month and refresh...
Thanks!

Latest shot shows new concrete foundation? or rink piping?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
interesting pic

doesn't quite look like piping but it looks even less like re-bar

I'd have to guess odds are it's piping

Old
07-23-2013, 12:40 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

To make the point from before, you can see from the overhead render here that the new top level is a U shape, not an O that goes all the way around:

Looks like the catwalks feed straight into the stair towers on the east side, so that's pretty clear that there's not going to be any fan access to any sort of East end deck

Old
07-23-2013, 01:15 PM
OKnumber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Absolutely. If only you could walk around the upper concourse or buy a sandwich in less than 20 minutes...or imagine if they knew how much to order so they didn't run out before first intermission! So yeah, the inside will be nice, and as long as you have a gallery seat you'll even have enough legroom to enjoy the view.
Or if you could find a bathroom without a long line, or if you could find working escalators to get you down to the street with a minimum of pain & time.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
To make the point from before, you can see from the overhead render here that the new top level is a U shape, not an O that goes all the way around:

Thanks for that pic. Due to the U shape design, it looks like there's a chance my seats will be among the few in the upper bowl that are actually in front of the bridge (not below or behind it.) Not sure how architecturally accurate the image is, but there appears to be a few small areas (first couple rows just off the aisle separating 214 & 215 and 220 & 221 for example) where the upper bowl extends forward beyond the footprint of the bridges. Not a huge deal by any means, but it would definitely be nice to be able to look up to the Garden roof above as opposed to the concrete floor of the bridges. Regardless, not nearly as big a deal either way compared to those who might actually have their view obscured by the bridges.

Last edited by broadwayblue: 07-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
interesting pic

doesn't quite look like piping but it looks even less like re-bar

I'd have to guess odds are it's piping
From the looks of it, they're most likely installing the new piping over an insulating layer, which in turn is laid over another slab of concrete (the old slab, maybe?). After the piping for the new rink system has been installed, it will be embedded in cement to serve as the new slab for creating the ice rink.

This will bring Madison Square Garden's ice plant & rink system to modern standards. Here's a link explaining the schematics of ice rinks:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink2.htm

Old
07-23-2013, 03:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
From the looks of it, they're most likely installing the new piping over an insulating layer, which in turn is laid over another slab of concrete (the old slab, maybe?). After the piping for the new rink system has been installed, it will be embedded in cement to serve as the new slab for creating the ice rink.

This will bring Madison Square Garden's ice plant & rink system to modern standards. Here's a link explaining the schematics of ice rinks:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink2.htm
Thats what I think it is too.

I think its pretty evident now that they are upgrading the rink systems in some fashion, which validates some of the rumors that have been floating around. I think it would have been a massive mistake had they not done that during this massive 3 phase renovation...

FYI - I found this today digging around on the internet.

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...asestudy23.pdf

Case Study on the Garden Ice Renovations from Carrier in 2006. According to that document, they replaced the brine chillers, upgraded the temperature monitoring, improved efficiency etc.

Up until the 2000-01 season MSG personnel had no idea if the ice was over or under cooled until they could actually see the conditions deteriorate.

Hopefully what they are doing now really rounds out the system perfectly.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
It looks like in the picture, the thicker bars mostly on the left are letter A, and the thinner bars on the right are letter B.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
07-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHH thats ****ing awesome!!!

Im another one that would love for them to get the ice right (at least the best thats possible in that building) - especially since they are socking so much money into the renovation it would be pointless to not improve the playing surface. I wonder if the new ice was a small part of the decision making process to bring in a new coach and offensive system to the Garden. I bet it was.
I wasn't kidding when I said that I used a 15" x 11" baking tray to create a scaled-down rink inside my freezer . Just like what real ice technicians do with their prized works, I have to be mindful of the ambient conditions(Freezer set to very cold, about 20〫 F; room temperature 72〫 ; humidity 55%) when working with the ice. Pic related for the current feature, a goal crease with simulated rutting & snow:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01249-20130722-1625.jpg‎ (207.5 KB, 32 views)

Old
07-25-2013, 11:50 AM
coatjones
Debauchery #1

Send a message via AIM to coatjones
Quote:

According to the picture, it looks like the sides of the bridges facing the ice will have LED ribbons going across, which will be a 1st for the Garden (not counting the corner ones.) Personally, I'm a fan of more LED at hockey games. Livens up the place when the lights are out or when a goal is scored.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
ratdog07067

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatjones View Post
According to the picture, it looks like the sides of the bridges facing the ice will have LED ribbons going across, which will be a 1st for the Garden (not counting the corner ones.) Personally, I'm a fan of more LED at hockey games. Livens up the place when the lights are out or when a goal is scored.
I was looking at the virtual seating chart and it looks like the ribbons on the bridges might have been scrapped? There's definitely two rows at the goal ends but I don't see anything on the bridges, although the seating chart might not be 100% accurate.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

A few weeks time lapse of the construction. Definitely putting in a new rink. A lot of layering to the concrete sub-floor. Not sure what the last shot is about though.

Notice the new oval/circular scoreboard skeleton hanging from ceiling.

Old
07-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Is anyone aware of the progress of the box office or lobby areas?

Closed Thread