HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Building Through The Draft - Realistically

Old
07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Uber Coca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Maroon View Post
I forgot that you have a crystal ball that can see everything that will happen over the next 5 years! Unless the player is Richard, Beliveau or Lafleur, the posters on this board find a way to put a prospect down. Not every prospect will turn out but not everyone will bust.
Like I said, most will bust, not everyone.

This is not based on a crystal ball. This is based of more then a decade of following the Montreal Canadiens and the great tendency of this board of overrating our own prospects due to excitement. If you want any proof of this, just make you own research of the prospects lineup we've been discussing in the past and tell me they were realistic.

Fact is, we'll find a positive consensus on this board on most prospects until they reach their potential. In the end, some prospects will find a way up in the pro's and most will not crack an NHL lineup. And this is not bashing on prospects since it's actually a really hard task. Many factors can lead to success or failure and timing is one of them.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Like I said, most will bust, not everyone.

This is not based on a crystal ball. This is based of more then a decade of following the Montreal Canadiens and the great tendency of this board of overrating our own prospects due to excitement. If you want any proof of this, just make you own research of the prospects lineup we've been discussing in the past and tell me they were realistic.

Fact is, we'll find a positive consensus on this board on most prospects until they reach their potential. In the end, some prospects will find a way up in the pro's and most will not crack an NHL lineup. And this is not bashing on prospects since it's actually a really hard task. Many factors can lead to success or failure and timing is one of them.
Part of it is also the limited number of prospects that can make the big team year to year. There just isn't enough room for all of these guys. But guys like Collberg, Beaulieu and McCarron should be locks on this team.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Part of it is also the limited number of prospects that can make the big team year to year. There just isn't enough room for all of these guys. But guys like Collberg, Beaulieu and McCarron should be locks on this team.
Should be locks. Cory Urquhart and Duncan Milroy were once locks on a very bad Montreal Canadiens team, yet...

Collberg, Beaulieu and McCarron are looking good but let's temper the expectations. Collberg and Beaulieu showed they could play with men, McCarron is still a longshot.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
We have great prospect depth going into this season. We had a glaring hole in gritty physical forwards and we filled part of that with the McCarron and DLR selections. Putting them into a group that consists of Galchenyuk and Collberg and we have a pretty well rounded group.

We've already built through the draft. Our drafts have consisted of Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher, Subban, Price, Eller (Halak), Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Emelin and White. That's 10 key pieces out of 20.

What we have:
Powerforwards - Pacioretty
Centermen - Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk
Puck-moving defensemen - Subban, Markov / Beaulieu
Tough stay-at-home defensemen - Tinordi, Emelin
Superstars - Subban, Galchenyuk (potential)
Young potential - Collberg, McCarron, Beaulieu, Lehkonen, Hudon, Gallagher

Let's fill them into the depth chart:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
McCarron - Galchenyuk - Collberg
Hudon - Eller - Lehkonen
x - White - x

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Emelin
x - x

Price
Fucale

What we lack:
Powerforwards - will McCarron and DLR fill that void?
Tough stay-at-home defensemen - we need more.

Our pool is filled with skilled players. Since they've just been drafted, we done yet know the ceilings of McCarron and DLR.

To further build the pool, I'd like us to draft more players with the profile of
Morin
Hartman
McCarron

to really round out the group. Price needs help in front of him and we need to protect our franchise goaltender with playoff type defensemen. With our drafting record, we can risk taking a few home run swings to find elite players to compete in our new division.

*Note, I didn't include Markov on the depth chart because we've begun to see a decline in his play. Even though he did put up a lot of points this year, he struggled with the pace of the game at times. Plekanec hasn't yet shown that slow down.
I'd be happy if one of McCaron, Collberg, Lehkonen and Hudon made it let alone all 4. I'm not really confident in any of them personally. Collberg and Hudon I think have a good chance but who knows. If one becomes a top 6 forward, perfect.

As far as Pleks goes, you're right. He plays the type of game where he shouldn't slow down much for quite awhile. I hope he spends his whole career here.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
zing!
So the exception becomes the rule?

Not to mention the general consensus for the team was to miss the playoffs, so it's very uncommon to be able to ice 4 rookies. Ottawa is in the weirdest rebuild ever, so they are the exception to the rule.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post

Not to mention the general consensus for the team was to miss the playoffs, so it's very uncommon to be able to ice 4 rookies. Ottawa is in the weirdest rebuild ever, so they are the exception to the rule.
Not to mention the obvious is being completely ignored - Ottawa didn't ice a lineup with that many rookies by choice.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

That's a lot of amazing prospects here. Thank you Trevor

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Realistically, this is what we can build around going forward:

I see Gorges as the Captain of this team within two seasons.
I saw Gorges as a captain too but last year really shook my faith in him. Not only did he look nothing like the player he was before but I absolutely hated his comments regarding PK.

Not so sure about Gorges anymore and he'd better improve this year because last year he just didn't look right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Get real on LL. This is LL's last chance. He will be gone if he does not make the NHL this year, out of camp, or very soon after. Too many very good 21 year olds in the NHL now to hang on to LL. He'll be surpassed, like Gally absolutely torched him last year. Give it up on LL. It's embarrassing. If he is returned to AHL from camp, or is not playing for Habs by Christmas, he is done. I won't hold my breath for this stupid waste of a first round pick.

If DLR does not make it in 2 years, he's gone also.
Didn't LL have some kind of ankle injury?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post

Ottawa is a weird rebuild but you've got to give them credit on actually being able to get some good young talent like Turris and Ryan. Pretty cool to see them pull off trades for players of that calibre. Now as to what they gave up...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I saw Gorges as a captain too but last year really shook my faith in him. Not only did he look nothing like the player he was before but I absolutely hated his comments regarding PK.

Not so sure about Gorges anymore and he'd better improve this year because last year he just didn't look right.

Didn't LL have some kind of ankle injury?

Ottawa is a weird rebuild but you've got to give them credit on actually being able to get some good young talent like Turris and Ryan. Pretty cool to see them pull off trades for players of that calibre. Now as to what they gave up...
High ankle sprain.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Lshap

From what I remember about Leblanc (seems like a long time ago), he looked pretty good. Nice kid; I hope he comes back strong and confident.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:00 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

I give them all the credit, they didn't only surprise me but I'm sure many. The only thing I am saying about them in this thread is that they are clearly an exception. Expecting to ice 4 rookies and make the playoffs is a stretch. Most teams that contend for playoff spots have a solid enough team to not need to fill 4 holes with rookies.

Kudos to them, but I don't see a habs roster being filled by 4 rookies in the same year.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote