HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines for next season

Old
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Goose and nystrom and Hendricks. IMO that's the fourth line. How much have went spent on our fourth line?? I can see clune getting scratched often with these new guys unfortunately. Clune is better bang for the buck though big time.

Top nine forwards are,
Legwand, fisher, hornqvist, Cullen, bourque, forsberg, stalberg, Wilson, smith.

Maybe we could have signed a guy we didnt sign due to no cap room really now with these high priced fourth liners. Maybe Horton wanted to come to Nashville maybe ribeiro did, probably not, but you don't know for certain, only poile would, and he just went all out crazy money spendin on fourth line guys, I agree you don't need just joe schmoes on fourth line, but I think we could have got a bit cheaper than this...

We are all entitled to our opinion guys, we don't have to agree. If you can question my 'loyalty' I have the same right. But we are all obviously fans or we wouldn't be here posting. So we have that commonality, all just have different ideas how the team should be ran, it's called being a fan.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Goose and nystrom and Hendricks. IMO that's the fourth line. How much have went spent on our fourth line?? I can see clune getting scratched often with these new guys unfortunately. Clune is better bang for the buck though big time.

Top nine forwards are,
Legwand, fisher, hornqvist, Cullen, bourque, forsberg, stalberg, Wilson, smith.

Maybe we could have signed a guy we didnt sign due to no cap room really now with these high priced fourth liners. Maybe Horton wanted to come to Nashville maybe ribeiro did, probably not, but you don't know for certain, only poile would, and he just went all out crazy money spendin on fourth line guys, I agree you don't need just joe schmoes on fourth line, but I think we could have got a bit cheaper than this...

We are all entitled to our opinion guys, we don't have to agree. If you can question my 'loyalty' I have the same right. But we are all obviously fans or we wouldn't be here posting. So we have that commonality, all just have different ideas how the team should be ran, it's called being a fan.
Horton wanted a 7 year deal and an Eastern Conference team. He was not looking at Nashville. The Preds appear to have had little interest in Ribeiro. Briere was a target, but decided on his hometown team and Cullen is a good acquisition and is very underrated.

FWIW, can we stop with listing Matt Cullen as the 3rd line center. He was signed to be the No. 1 center (not sexy, I know) and will be trotted out there as such (remember the team rolls three lines consistently at even strength and mixes in the fourth).

Wing - Cullen - Wing
Wing - Fisher - Wing
Wing - Legwand - Wing
Wing - Gaustad - Wing

Personally, it doesn't look that bad to me knowing Cullen is playing over his head, but Fisher and Legwand are both in better positions as a result...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Guys like Ribiero and Horton may or may not have wanted to be here, but without even going into hypotheticals on players who have already signed in other cities, there are better options than what we have still on the market. As of this morning (with Jagr recently signing, apparently), Jagr, Grabovski, Brunner, and Hainsey were still UFAs, not to mention guys like Hemsky who could probably be had for cheap for cap reasons. I don't even mind bringing in Hendricks or Nystrom, just hate their price tags.

What team wins more games?:

Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Fisher-Bourque
Smith-Legwand-Forsberg
Nyqvist-Gaustad-Hendricks
Spaling/Clune

VS

Wilson-Grabovski-Legwand
Stalberg-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Cullen-Forsberg
Spaling-Gaustad-Halischuk
Smith/Clune

My money is easily on #2, and replace Grabo with Jagr/Brunner if you want.

The other issue with our new additions is that they are overpaid for the next two summers as well, meaning we can't use their cash to land a bigger fish that hits the open market in any of the next off-seasons. It really hurts our flexibility when I believe their role could be filled much more cheaply by guys like Clune.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Guys like Ribiero and Horton may or may not have wanted to be here, but without even going into hypotheticals on players who have already signed in other cities, there are better options than what we have still on the market. As of this morning (with Jagr recently signing, apparently), Jagr, Grabovski, Brunner, and Hainsey were still UFAs, not to mention guys like Hemsky who could probably be had for cheap for cap reasons. I don't even mind bringing in Hendricks or Nystrom, just hate their price tags.

What team wins more games?:

Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist
Stalberg-Fisher-Bourque
Smith-Legwand-Forsberg
Nyqvist-Gaustad-Hendricks
Spaling/Clune

VS

Wilson-Grabovski-Legwand
Stalberg-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Cullen-Forsberg
Spaling-Gaustad-Halischuk
Smith/Clune

My money is easily on #2, and replace Grabo with Jagr/Brunner if you want.

The other issue with our new additions is that they are overpaid for the next two summers as well, meaning we can't use their cash to land a bigger fish that hits the open market in any of the next off-seasons. It really hurts our flexibility when I believe their role could be filled much more cheaply by guys like Clune.
Who says we're out on Grabovski? He hasn't signed. His agent said today that three teams are very interested in him and also notes that he is enjoying his honeymoon and will not be getting serious about making a decision until early August. At the same time, are you suggesting that we should have not signed a player for the chance we pickup a guy that is still unsigned?

We are a weaker team with Spaling, Halischuk, and until he proves something again - Smith on the roster.

I think everyone will agree, we were far too easy of a team to play against last season. We didn't make teams work for their wins. That has been addressed. We're not going to goon it up, that's not the definition of sandpaper as many like to think, but we are going to do our best every night to outwork the other team and make life much more difficult for them to pick up points and flat out embarrass those that are able or willing to work as hard as the Predators do on any given night.

There is now competition up and down the roster. Rinne is healthy again. The defense has another year under their belt and a new coach leading the way. And the thing that many seem to forget is that the team is not the mid-level AHL crap offense team we were icing at the end of the season anymore, but instead a balanced set of second/third lines that will roll throughout the game and provide enough offense to be competitive.

Are we a playoff team as we currently exist? I'd say we're right in the mix. Are we a contender? Heck no! Are we one move away from being one? Doubtful. It's going to take another year and another set of moves to get back to any type of contender status. But we are a better team today than we were a year ago at the start of last season. I don't think there's any way to doubt that...

Old
07-22-2013, 11:00 PM
hockey diva

My thoughts are pretty well known. We overpaid for guys who really don't improve the team that much over what we had. Stalberg and even Cullen I can see. Though having Cullen as our #1C is rather sad compared to other #1Cs. We don't have any game breaking, omg did you just see that forwards. That is and has been a problem for a long time. Maybe Forsberg can be that guy but he has potential only at this point. We have a chance to make playoffs, we have before with about the same talent level. But even if we do we will bow out in 5 games most likely. We simply don't have the offensive weapons to compete with the likes of Chicago, LA, or Vancouver. Rationalize all you want but we are not a Cup team much less a Conference championship team.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Who says we're out on Grabovski? He hasn't signed. His agent said today that three teams are very interested in him and also notes that he is enjoying his honeymoon and will not be getting serious about making a decision until early August. At the same time, are you suggesting that we should have not signed a player for the chance we pickup a guy that is still unsigned?

We are a weaker team with Spaling, Halischuk, and until he proves something again - Smith on the roster.

I think everyone will agree, we were far too easy of a team to play against last season. We didn't make teams work for their wins. That has been addressed. We're not going to goon it up, that's not the definition of sandpaper as many like to think, but we are going to do our best every night to outwork the other team and make life much more difficult for them to pick up points and flat out embarrass those that are able or willing to work as hard as the Predators do on any given night.

There is now competition up and down the roster. Rinne is healthy again. The defense has another year under their belt and a new coach leading the way. And the thing that many seem to forget is that the team is not the mid-level AHL crap offense team we were icing at the end of the season anymore, but instead a balanced set of second/third lines that will roll throughout the game and provide enough offense to be competitive.

Are we a playoff team as we currently exist? I'd say we're right in the mix. Are we a contender? Heck no! Are we one move away from being one? Doubtful. It's going to take another year and another set of moves to get back to any type of contender status. But we are a better team today than we were a year ago at the start of last season. I don't think there's any way to doubt that...
My point is without signing Hendricks/Nystrom - even just signing one or the other - we could could with a truckload of cash to someone like a Grabo. Now, and for the next two or three years, our options are limited. I don't disagree we need to get tougher to play against, which is why we should have been in the hunt for my guys along the lines of Rich Clune. Cheap to get asset wise, cheap in $$$, and play the game hard. I have no problem with Nystrom or Hendricks, I have a problem with their $$$ and term when I feel the role could be filled more cheaply. See: Gaustad, Paul.

Maybe we still are in the running for Grabo. Awesome, I hope we are. But the money we can spend, as well as roster space we have, are now handicapped for a few years. I think the signings of Goose, Hendricks, and Nystrom could really hurt us next summer and/or the one after. I could be wrong, but I am very concerned about that. Even one year deals would make me rest a lot easier.

Politely disagree on Spaling and Halischuk, but I've always been higher on them than many. Judging by Hali's summer, I'd say you're in the majority, so I digress. Agree on Smith.

Yes, we want to be harder to play against, but what we really need to be is harder to win against, and I don't think we are that. Nystrom and Hendricks will lay down some hits, and maybe the other team will get an extra bruise or two, but we still will be unable to produce any offense and will lose more than we can win.

The bottom line is that this is a bottom 10 team next year, with or without guys like Hendricks, Nystrom, Grabovski, Brunner, etc. so it doesn't really matter. This isn't our year. We have to be patient with the young core, which is why I wish Blum and Halischuk were still around so we could give them minutes. Hendricks and Nystrom are at the top of their progression, while those two had higher ceilings. Either way, we just have to wait and focus on how bright our future looks, especially if this year goes as bad as I expect and we find ourselves with someone like a Sam Reinhart, William Nylander, or Blake Clarke in next years draft.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Yes, we want to be harder to play against, but what we really need to be is harder to win against, and I don't think we are that. Nystrom and Hendricks will lay down some hits, and maybe the other team will get an extra bruise or two, but we still will be unable to produce any offense and will lose more than we can win.

The bottom line is that this is a bottom 10 team next year, with or without guys like Hendricks, Nystrom, Grabovski, Brunner, etc. so it doesn't really matter. This isn't our year. We have to be patient with the young core, which is why I wish Blum and Halischuk were still around so we could give them minutes. Hendricks and Nystrom are at the top of their progression, while those two had higher ceilings. Either way, we just have to wait and focus on how bright our future looks, especially if this year goes as bad as I expect and we find ourselves with someone like a Sam Reinhart, William Nylander, or Blake Clarke in next years draft.
We lost Matt Halischuk, Brandon Yip, Chris Mueller, Daniel Bang (returning to Sweden), Sergei Kostitsyn, and I'll give you Martin Erat.

We gained Matt Cullen, Viktor Stalberg, Eric Nystrom, Matt Hendricks, and in return of course Filip Forsberg. We are also healthy again.

Cullen, Stalberg, and Forsberg will replace and IMO (as three vs. two should) surpass the production of Erat and Kostitsyn. As a result of health we will have Gaustad back to replace Mueller. That's a win. Nystrom and Hendricks bring more to the table than Halischuk and Yip, but obviously at a higher price. I'll call that a wash. The real win is Cullen pushing down Fisher and Legwand down a line to spots were they can be more effective and overall the additions giving a little more breathing room for Wilson, Hornqvist, and Bourque to return from their surgeries, and ease the expectations of Forsberg and Smith a tad. Taylor Beck is a total wildcard IMO. He looked very good when he was first called up and eventually got injured. If he can return and add another weapon, that's another upgrade over the roster from the start of last season...

Old
07-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Rationalize all you want but we are not a Cup team much less a Conference championship team.
Who is claiming that we are? We're nowhere near that, nor would any real combination of moves this summer have put us in that category...

Old
07-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I don't disagree we need to get tougher to play against, which is why we should have been in the hunt for my guys along the lines of Rich Clune. Cheap to get asset wise, cheap in $$$, and play the game hard. I have no problem with Nystrom or Hendricks, I have a problem with their $$$ and term when I feel the role could be filled more cheaply. See: Gaustad, Paul.
Hendricks and Nystrom are excellent penalty killers. That is another major reason they are upgrades on Halischuk and Yip.

If you were replacing them with Clune level players, I'd be very concerned about the team we were icing. Clune is an upgrade on what Tootoo developed into. Clune is not a Halischuk or Yip though.

I'm not convinced Gaustad is a Predator by the end of the season. Hendricks plays center and wing. If Goose can prove he's healthy, I could see him being offered around the league as a playoff addition even with his contract. The cap is going up next season. Although, if Goose is healthy and stays, the cap is going up next season...

Old
07-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
We lost Matt Halischuk, Brandon Yip, Chris Mueller, Daniel Bang (returning to Sweden), Sergei Kostitsyn, and I'll give you Martin Erat.

We gained Matt Cullen, Viktor Stalberg, Eric Nystrom, Matt Hendricks, and in return of course Filip Forsberg. We are also healthy again.

Cullen, Stalberg, and Forsberg will replace and IMO (as three vs. two should) surpass the production of Erat and Kostitsyn. As a result of health we will have Gaustad back to replace Mueller. That's a win. Nystrom and Hendricks bring more to the table than Halischuk and Yip, but obviously at a higher price. I'll call that a wash. The real win is Cullen pushing down Fisher and Legwand down a line to spots were they can be more effective and overall the additions giving a little more breathing room for Wilson, Hornqvist, and Bourque to return from their surgeries, and ease the expectations of Forsberg and Smith a tad. Taylor Beck is a total wildcard IMO. He looked very good when he was first called up and eventually got injured. If he can return and add another weapon, that's another upgrade over the roster from the start of last season...
I don't disagree that we're in better shape than last season, though no Erat all year will hurt. Our young players should progress some, so that will help. So yes, I do think we will improve slightly, but I think think we're a bottom 10 team. Who knows how the new division will effect things.

Injuries may be better this year, or they may not. As awful as the decimation of our forwards was, we were very lucky on the backend and in net. Injuries will happen for us and every other team, and just imagine what the team will look like if one Weber/Josi/Rinne goes down. Can you imagine a Hutton/Hellberg tandem? Obviously any team would be badly hurt by losing their starter, but my point is that injuries always can and will happen. The question is how you respond to them. We simply went into a nosedive. Ottawa lost Spezza all year, Karlsson all year, Michalek for most of the year, and Anderson for a little over half of the year, and STILL made the playoffs and won a first round serious.

I'm not going to assume we're better just because we're healthy, because that can always change.

#suckforsam. Let the young guys play and make their mistakes now. Give Jones big minutes, if that will help his progression. Play Wilson and Forsberg on the top line. Give Smith the minutes and line-mates it takes to return to form. I don't want us to intentionally lost games, by any means. Play hard. But put us in situations that improve our young players and our future, which is my mind, play Halischuk instead of Hendricks does. But again, many disagree, so I digress. I also think adding someone like Grabo will be better for us two years down the road than Hendricks+Nystrom. Just my opinion.

I hope this team proves me so wrong by returning to the old Predators hockey of playing hard every night and beating people by outworking them. Underdogs on paper, winners on the scoreboard. Last year, we weren't that, and I think Poile tried to go back to those roots this summer. Hopefully it worked and he didn't just overpay for two mediocre pieces.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I don't disagree that we're in better shape than last season, though no Erat all year will hurt. Our young players should progress some, so that will help. So yes, I do think we will improve slightly, but I think think we're a bottom 10 team. Who knows how the new division will effect things.

Injuries may be better this year, or they may not. As awful as the decimation of our forwards was, we were very lucky on the backend and in net.
Rinne was injured all season last year and readily admits that it affected him. Bourque tore his knee in Milwaukee a couple weeks before the lockout ended. Gaustad was injured before he was acquired. Remember too that with a full summer and training camp, players will be better prepared for the demands of the season.

Nothing in life is granted. But last year we were starting the year with some major injuries. My point is that this year we are starting from scratch. That's an improvement over last year.

Quote:
Injuries will happen for us and every other team, and just imagine what the team will look like if one Weber/Josi/Rinne goes down. Can you imagine a Hutton/Hellberg tandem? Obviously any team would be badly hurt by losing their starter, but my point is that injuries always can and will happen. The question is how you respond to them. We simply went into a nosedive. Ottawa lost Spezza all year, Karlsson all year, Michalek for most of the year, and Anderson for a little over half of the year, and STILL made the playoffs and won a first round serious.

I'm not going to assume we're better just because we're healthy, because that can always change.
I'll be the first to say that Hutton is a big risk, but like you said earlier, "In Mitch We Trust" (avatar please!!!). Milwaukee was also asked to pick a goalie and they chose Hutton. Hellberg will be ready by season's end and I wouldn't doubt he would stand a good chance at shining should he come up mode season this year. There is no replacing Rinne though.

On D, we are short right now, yet have a bit of a log jam. Ekholm is ready. Ellis has to take a step forward. Will be interesting who they bring in to provide depth in Milwaukee. Still 5 or 6 guys to add there yet.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:58 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Rinne was injured all season last year and readily admits that it affected him. Bourque tore his knee in Milwaukee a couple weeks before the lockout ended. Gaustad was injured before he was acquired. Remember too that with a full summer and training camp, players will be better prepared for the demands of the season.

Nothing in life is granted. But last year we were starting the year with some major injuries. My point is that this year we are starting from scratch. That's an improvement over last year.

I'll be the first to say that Hutton is a big risk, but like you said earlier, "In Mitch We Trust" (avatar please!!!). Milwaukee was also asked to pick a goalie and they chose Hutton. Hellberg will be ready by season's end and I wouldn't doubt he would stand a good chance at shining should he come up mode season this year. There is no replacing Rinne though.

On D, we are short right now, yet have a bit of a log jam. Ekholm is ready. Ellis has to take a step forward. Will be interesting who they bring in to provide depth in Milwaukee. Still 5 or 6 guys to add there yet.
Well we went from a contending team and when the defense wasn't what it was we fell apart. Now we are back to just making the playoffs and that's not a given. Rookies forwards don't breakout in a Trotz system. Now we are now going with servicable veterans to be a tough team that can't score. We don't have a proven scorer on this roster. Hornqvist is the closest we have but he can't stay healthy for a full season. Wilson hasn't had a full productive season yet. This goes to when we needed a scorer we got Fisher. Now we need a scorer and we got Cullen. There is always some reason we can't get a top scorer because he doesn't like the West or because his wife is from the Midwest or his price is too high or he's not this or he's not that. This franchise all it wants to do is make the playoffs and bow out and it was a sucessful season. We aren't built to make a long run. We are on the defensive side but we can't compete on the offensive side. Depending on the matchup we are first round exist waiting to happen and I don't see anything game changing. Poile is saying all the right excuses like everyone has who doesn't make it says. This guy was hurt and this happened and that happened. But is Poile/Trotz regime jobs on the line if this don't work out the way they anticpate it will?

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:49 AM
hockey diva

I certainly hope so roseyc. But you know how it goes, we make the playoffs and Poile/Trotz get yet another year. I think the only way we get rid of them is if we finish at the bottom of the league.

The bottom line for me is that Poile and Trotz's "Predator hockey" doesn't win championships much less playoff rounds. I hope this is the last season we see this version of Predator hockey.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
But is Poile/Trotz regime jobs on the line if this don't work out the way they anticpate it will?
No one can answer that for sure except for team executives, but in realizing ownership's repeated mission statement, the fact that they brought in two of the best executives in Cogen and Henry to right the financial side of the business (both of whom have Cup rings), and are now closer to the cap than at any point in franchise history...I think you'd be remiss to believe otherwise. Is it imminent? No. Would it be an option if the team stalls and doesn't make any progress? I'd think it was.

Again, no one can answer that except for ultimately Thomas Cigarran and the rest of the team ownership.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post

Well we went from a contending team and when the defense wasn't what it was we fell apart. Now we are back to just making the playoffs and that's not a given. Rookies forwards don't breakout in a Trotz system. Now we are now going with servicable veterans to be a tough team that can't score. We don't have a proven scorer on this roster. Hornqvist is the closest we have but he can't stay healthy for a full season. Wilson hasn't had a full productive season yet. This goes to when we needed a scorer we got Fisher. Now we need a scorer and we got Cullen. There is always some reason we can't get a top scorer because he doesn't like the West or because his wife is from the Midwest or his price is too high or he's not this or he's not that. This franchise all it wants to do is make the playoffs and bow out and it was a sucessful season. We aren't built to make a long run. We are on the defensive side but we can't compete on the offensive side. Depending on the matchup we are first round exist waiting to happen and I don't see anything game changing. Poile is saying all the right excuses like everyone has who doesn't make it says. This guy was hurt and this happened and that happened. But is Poile/Trotz regime jobs on the line if this don't work out the way they anticpate it will?
For the record, Hornqvist has had very few injuries, he's played in at least 76 games each season, except for last season.

Wilson has had injury issues, but was productive last season before his injury.

Our wildcards this year are the young players.

Can Bourque continue to grow?

Is Forsberg the offensive player we thought he was?

Can Beck be that compliment to Wilson?

Can Jones give us that number 4 right out of the gate, if not can Ekholm?

Can Wilson stay healthy?

And to me, Watson could be a huge wildcard. He's a big, physical center and could be a huge upgrade over Gaustad but is he ready?

Will Hously help Josi grow even more?

We have a lot of question marks but we have a lot of potential too.

This is by far the deepest team we've had from top to bottom since the Kariya team, and IMHO has the most potential we've had. I just don't know if we'll reach that potential.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:00 AM
glenngineer

A few things that haven't been mentioned.

1. Now that we're spending more money on the roster, is ownership looking for better results on the ice?

2. Looking at Jones and Forsberg, is the road to Nashville still through Milwaukee? If it isn't, why did it change because we haven't heard anything like that regarding these two. Obviously Jones can only play in the NHL or juniors so why are Trotz and Poile rushing these two to the NHL?

3. Everyone has Cullen, Fisher, Legwand and Goose as our 4 centers starting the season. Does this mean we're abandoning the move of Wilson to the middle?

4. Depending on the answer to number 3, all 4 of those centers are getting up there in age or don't have many years left on their contracts. Wilson seems to be a logical choice to take one of their spots as does Watson in a year or two. Since it takes time to learn and play center in Trotz's system properly, shouldn't Wilson be moving to center sooner than later?

Only number 4 is really an opinion on my part, the other 3 questions haven't really been talked about so I'm curious as to what everyone is thinking.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
A few things that haven't been mentioned.

3. Everyone has Cullen, Fisher, Legwand and Goose as our 4 centers starting the season. Does this mean we're abandoning the move of Wilson to the middle?

4. Depending on the answer to number 3, all 4 of those centers are getting up there in age or don't have many years left on their contracts. Wilson seems to be a logical choice to take one of their spots as does Watson in a year or two. Since it takes time to learn and play center in Trotz's system properly, shouldn't Wilson be moving to center sooner than later?

Only number 4 is really an opinion on my part, the other 3 questions haven't really been talked about so I'm curious as to what everyone is thinking.
The lockout shortened training camp ended Wilson's bid to play center last season. I think coming off of shoulder surgery will delay it again this season. Could see them experimenting with him at center later in the season if injuries strike at the position, but definitely don't think the door is closed there...

Old
07-23-2013, 11:14 AM
maplepred

Who cares if we are spending more money. I would rather not be spending all the extra cash then spending it ridiculously. Spend the money to bring in a sniper or two, if you can't get then just save it so we have cap room when that player becomes available to us.
I would rather see guys like Watson, budish playing for under a million rather than nystrom and Hendricks.
Really, if poile thought we needed an 8 million dollar fourth line so badly, couldn't he have instead just signed one of Hendricks/nystrom then let a young guy play or even better, leave a roster spot for bargain clune or spals. Poile messed up this summer and did nothing. No trades, no big signings, just crap and same excuses.

It's pretty clear that lots of us are thinking this. And someone mentioned above and I totally agree, guys like forsberg, beck, are not going to 'break out' with even forty points, trotz won't let it happen because they have to cover the man in the defensive zone.... As if we don't have enough amazing defense already, they need help from our miserable forwards.

Someone also said this is the best team we have had since the kariya years?!?! All I can say to that is lmao!!

This is an extremely, extremely talented defensive team that couldn't score for the life of them. Plain and simple boring hockey, 1-0 games.

I've always liked poile, but maybe after fifteen years, nothing last second round and he is to damn conservative to make big moves it seems in his old age, maybe it's time to move on and get a more ballsy gm. Just a thought anyways.

And not only does nystrom deal screw us with cap space for this season, the bum is signed for 4 years!! Wtf?!?!
Makes 3 million last two years!!! Ugh! Gonna be a loooooooong season with another top five pick at this rate.

Anyone who tries to be optimistic, I give you credit, but I'm sorry, this is not a playoff team let alone a cup contender.

Edit *
Anyways guys, I've said my peace enough about this and I'm done talking about it. Just so beat down as a fan after lousy draft and lousy free agency after getting hopes up again....
But yeah, you won't see me posting about how much crap we have signed for next year until it starts showing us losing games (but body checking the crap out of everyone while losing), and until then I'm going to quit stressing, no point, we can't do anything but watch as fans. I've said my peace, this offense is worst in NHL possibly ever by any team since I can remember. This thread is depressing, and painful when guys try to make it sound like we are an awesome team.
If someone replies to my message cool, but I'm not going to even read this thread anymore. I'm out guys, cheers.

Last edited by maplepred: 07-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Good, you're spewing the same bs over and over.

All most of us are saying is let's see first, you could be correct this could be a horrible team.

Give it a chance to work, if it doesn't pile on then.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

We'll find out by US Thanksgiving, whether it was better to save the $ & put it in a short term CD or spend it on the players we did

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
We'll find out by US Thanksgiving, whether it was better to save the $ & put it in a short term CD or spend it on the players we did
I give it until near Christmas.

But, since you brought up Thanksgiving. Why on Earth are we the only US team to play on this day? I am a little mad about it cause like most people I will be out of town and I will end up with tickets to a game that will end up empty. There are only 2 games on this day. Vancouver vs Ottawa and Edmonton vs Preds. I don't understand it.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I give it until near Christmas.

But, since you brought up Thanksgiving. Why on Earth are we the only US team to play on this day? I am a little mad about it cause like most people I will be out of town and I will end up with tickets to a game that will end up empty. There are only 2 games on this day. Vancouver vs Ottawa and Edmonton vs Preds. I don't understand it.
I've actually liked Thanksgiving games in the past (at other locales). Typically you eat around 2-3 PM, enjoy family time, then wind down in front of the TV. Instead...for those of us that stay in town, you eat, enjoy your traditional family, then join your extended family of 17,113+ for the evening.

I remember having our series clinching game over Anaheim on Easter. Had dinner at the Patron Platinum Club at the arena with my family, saw PredsV82 at the next table, and then enjoyed the game.

Give it a chance. I think it'll go over well and might become a tradition here if it does...

Old
07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Preds33

Quote:
I've actually liked Thanksgiving games in the past (at other locales). Typically you eat around 2-3 PM, enjoy family time, then wind down in front of the TV. Instead...for those of us that stay in town, you eat, enjoy your traditional family, then join your extended family of 17,113+ for the evening.

I remember having our series clinching game over Anaheim on Easter. Had dinner at the Patron Platinum Club at the arena with my family, saw PredsV82 at the next table, and then enjoyed the game.

Give it a chance. I think it'll go over well and might become a tradition here if it does...
Well unless I skip the family event, I will not be able to be there because we do dinner. I guess the plus side though is that it is just Edmonton that we are missing, so no real big deal.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Well unless I skip the family event, I will not be able to be there because we do dinner. I guess the plus side though is that it is just Edmonton that we are missing, so no real big deal.
I used TicketExchange a couple of times last season. It was pretty painless and sold my tickets about 65% of the time (admittedly didn't properly price my seat a couple times late in the year). No need for you seats to go to waste...

Old
07-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Preds33

Quote:
I used TicketExchange a couple of times last season. It was pretty painless and sold my tickets about 65% of the time (admittedly didn't properly price my seat a couple times late in the year). No need for you seats to go to waste...
It being Thanksgiving, I figured that it would be no where near a sold out crowd, especially with it being Edmonton. So I didn't think they would sell. Might be an idea to try though.