HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread II

Old
07-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Can't put up with a goalie who doesn't get prepared for games. It's brutal.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
It bothers me so much when I see teammates trying **** on goalies in warm ups. If he's out of the net then you pick corners and such. When the goalie is in the net for warm ups you put stuff into his equipment.
I was skating out (as a sub) on a friend's team once - and warming up my friend prior to the game. Glove, blocker, pad, pad. Glove, blocker, pad, pad. Glove, blocker, pad, pad. Repeat.

On the bench before the game, the captain came over and said that he was glad that I was able to sub, and that I had a great shot but needed to work on my accuracy.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:13 AM
29Potvins

It's one of the things I learned from watching Don Cherry To just get the puck into the goalie's equipment during warm ups. Sometimes, I worry that the goalies get pissed because in order to keep my shot controlled, I can't give it much power ...

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
It's one of the things I learned from watching Don Cherry To just get the puck into the goalie's equipment during warm ups. Sometimes, I worry that the goalies get pissed because in order to keep my shot controlled, I can't give it much power ...
You're doing it right - warm-ups are to warm up. If you want to impress us with your velocity, we can watch you during the game.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:27 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
You're doing it right - warm-ups are to warm up. If you want to impress us with your velocity, we can watch you during the game.
I generally shoot right at the goalie because I know they need to get warmed up, but I also wish there was time for me to get try and pick some corners too. The luxuries of being a pro player I guess

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I generally shoot right at the goalie because I know they need to get warmed up, but I also wish there was time for me to get try and pick some corners too. The luxuries of being a pro player I guess
I actually prefer that in warmups (if the shooter knows what they're doing). Oftentimes, I'll get someone to stand in front of me and screen/tip pucks. Warmup or not, I get bored easily.

My only request is that you talk to me about it beforehand.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I've always done pretty much the same thing. I shoot into you until you start really tracking the play and going down. Then it's time to start hooting right above your pads ha

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:49 PM
TLow97

The deking thing... always bothers me to see guys do that in warmups. I can understand why goalies would get annoyed with that. That's stuff you can mess around with on an open net. Just get a shot on goal and move on.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
The deking thing... always bothers me to see guys do that in warmups. I can understand why goalies would get annoyed with that. That's stuff you can mess around with on an open net. Just get a shot on goal and move on.
I like to hit the goalie in his various pieces of gear to start but after that's been done for a little bit I like to try and pick the corners to calibrate my aim a bit. I then like to swing a deke or two as well just to warm up my hands but I'm not really nothered by the goalie not trying to stop it or whatever. Like I say, its just to warm up my hands a little, not to try and deke the guy out of his shorts.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've had goalies that enjoy facing dekes at the end of warmups. Some guys like to drop on their knees and face some tricky shots. Most just like to take long shots then stretch then more long shots and then water and wait.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Trl3789

So, let me preface this by saying everything i'm about to relay is second hand, and only verified by score sheets and talking to people in the league.

I play in EE and EEEE, but stories have started to circle about a team in DDDD that play so out of control/dangerously that other teams have come to an agreement to boycott the games against them. At least three games have been forfeited at this point, and i would guess there will be more to come.

Heres an example of a forfeited game :
http://stats.liahl.org/oss-scoreshee...8&mode=display

From the stories going around, i've heard that everything from two handed baseball swings with sticks to full fistfights have broken out in their games, with player on opposing teams frequently getting hurt. Again, this is all just rumors i've heard, but looking at the score sheets is pretty scary.

Here's an example of a score sheet from a game last season:
http://stats.liahl.org/oss-scoreshee...5&mode=display

My question is at what point do I start feeling like i need to show my support for the teams boycotting? League management hasn't done anything at this point (as far as i'm aware), and the boycott has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I know this is an extreme idea, but should teams at every level start boycotting their games until this get rectified? I feel a message needs to get sent that this type of behavior won't fly no matter what level you play at. And if other teams that already have that "agitator" identity see this, whats to stop them from elevating the way they play when they realize there aren't repercussions?

Have you guys had any situations similar to this? How would you go about handling it? Obviously it doesn't directly affect me, but i still feel this is an issue that extends past just the DDDD league hockey at our rink.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I needed somewhere to vent my frustrations about the fact that this is even an issue. It sucks that people are legitimately worried/scared to play adult league hockey because guys are getting consistently injured against a certain team.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:44 AM
Darlon

Why isn't boycotting their games enough? If all the teams in that league agree to refuse to play that team, then that should be enough. They essentially paid for a league they can't play in.

I don't see why you should have to let your experience be affected by something that isn't even going on in your division.

Darlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
So, let me preface this by saying everything i'm about to relay is second hand, and only verified by score sheets and talking to people in the league.

I play in EE and EEEE, but stories have started to circle about a team in DDDD that play so out of control/dangerously that other teams have come to an agreement to boycott the games against them. At least three games have been forfeited at this point, and i would guess there will be more to come.

Heres an example of a forfeited game :
http://stats.liahl.org/oss-scoreshee...8&mode=display

From the stories going around, i've heard that everything from two handed baseball swings with sticks to full fistfights have broken out in their games, with player on opposing teams frequently getting hurt. Again, this is all just rumors i've heard, but looking at the score sheets is pretty scary.

Here's an example of a score sheet from a game last season:
http://stats.liahl.org/oss-scoreshee...5&mode=display

My question is at what point do I start feeling like i need to show my support for the teams boycotting? League management hasn't done anything at this point (as far as i'm aware), and the boycott has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I know this is an extreme idea, but should teams at every level start boycotting their games until this get rectified? I feel a message needs to get sent that this type of behavior won't fly no matter what level you play at. And if other teams that already have that "agitator" identity see this, whats to stop them from elevating the way they play when they realize there aren't repercussions?

Have you guys had any situations similar to this? How would you go about handling it? Obviously it doesn't directly affect me, but i still feel this is an issue that extends past just the DDDD league hockey at our rink.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I needed somewhere to vent my frustrations about the fact that this is even an issue. It sucks that people are legitimately worried/scared to play adult league hockey because guys are getting consistently injured against a certain team.
If someone two hand baseball swings at me - screw league rules and hockey rules in general...im calling the police. People want to goon it up and ruin games for everyone else? Enjoy going to jail for assault with a weapon

Kevin Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:21 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
So, let me preface this by saying everything i'm about to relay is second hand, and only verified by score sheets and talking to people in the league.......

Looks like a (by invitation only) pick-up session I went to a few times. Full of heroes from a bush league that shut down because of stuff like that. I stopped going, not that I can't handle myself, but I'd rather play hockey than street brawl. I'm a grown-up.

Boycott them, or get the other like minded teams to move to another league.

EDIT: By the scoresheet you posted, those two teams shouldn't be in the same division.

Last edited by sanityplease: 07-24-2013 at 09:30 AM.
sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlon View Post
Why isn't boycotting their games enough? If all the teams in that league agree to refuse to play that team, then that should be enough. They essentially paid for a league they can't play in.

I don't see why you should have to let your experience be affected by something that isn't even going on in your division.
I think I didn't do a good job expressing where my frustrations lay in my last post. While I'm obviously frustrated that a team would ruin the fun for others, they are paying for games they aren't playing, and I know it doesn't directly affect me. I'm more frustrated though that it seems league management doesn't care. At what point is enough enough? When will league management step in and solve a problem that is now 3 weeks of agreed upon boycotting of a specific team?

Last edited by Trl3789: 07-24-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
I think I didn't do a good job expressing where my frustrations lay in my last post. While I'm obviously frustrated that a team would ruin the fun for others, they are paying for games they aren't playing, and I know it doesn't directly affect me. I'm more frustrated though that it seems league management doesn't care. At what point is enough enough? When will league management step in and solve a problem that is now 3 weeks of agreed upon boycotting of a specific team?
If league management is non responsive to the situation then find a new league or organize a bunch of other teams that will go somewhere else if something isnt done about it.

Do you guys have captains meetings?

Kevin Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:26 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
rofl... I had a goalie one year that liked to point to specific parts of his equipment as the few of us who actually warmed him up came in

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:06 PM
TLow97

Not so much a direct beer league gripe...

At the arena we played at last night there is a hockey shop. I figure I could get a quick sharpening in. Get on the ice, I have no outside edge. It was too late to go back after the game since they close early. Learned my lesson--sticking to the place I know near my house.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll skate with dull blades before I trust a rink guy with my skates

Reminds me, I haven't had my skates sharpened since before the lockout ended. Last time I brought them in, the Wild equipment guys were doing sharpenings at my LHS because they didn't have anything else to do.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've had goalies that enjoy facing dekes at the end of warmups. Some guys like to drop on their knees and face some tricky shots. Most just like to take long shots then stretch then more long shots and then water and wait.
It's also good practice if you're on a low div team, it's decent practice since a lot of guys aren't going to get to try this sort of thing that often in a game. Maybe a good rule of thumb is if your 'moves' are going to get shut down by the goalie 9> out of 10 then you're probably okay

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:32 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
It's also good practice if you're on a low div team, it's decent practice since a lot of guys aren't going to get to try this sort of thing that often in a game. Maybe a good rule of thumb is if your 'moves' are going to get shut down by the goalie 9> out of 10 then you're probably okay
I know goalies don't want to pull something during warmup with nothing on the line, but during low-level league play a lot of the most dangerous scoring chances come off dekes and breakaways due to poor defensive play. Might as well practice some lateral movement, you'll be needing it a lot for the next 60 minutes on some teams!

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just totally depends on the goalie.

One guy chewed me out for taking a half slapper from the blue line. He had no problem with guys full on trying to deke him the whole time though. I never shot on him again in warmups for the rest of the season.

Had another goalie that just wanted hard shots from far out and if you tried to skate in he'd just leave the net.

Some guys just kind of half ass it through warmups, others are super intense and set up for each shot.

To be safe, I usually just take snappers from the top of the circle aiming for gap between the pads and the pipes.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
wingfan

I just joined a team halfway through the season(mens league). The team was 1-5 before I started playing and couldn't score. I joined, we're 2-0, and we've scored 11 goals the past two games. I literally hadn't taken a shot until the 3rd of my 2nd game last night, though I have 7 assists. I decided on a 2-1 to finally shoot instead of dishing it, I bury it, and get *****ed at for not dishing it... Naturally it was the guy who doesn't pass, doesn't backcheck, doesn't forecheck... Really dude?

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
intangible

One of the biggest things that bothers me when I play out (as a skater) is when a player doesn't scoot his ass down the bench. It's like, c'mon, this isn't difficult.. you see a line is changing, now scoot your ass down the bench already.

intangible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
As a goalie, what I hate is when the entire team does nothing but breakaways during the warmups. It's exhausting and not really that helpful for me.

What I really need is to just get a feel for the puck and work on adjusting angles for shots.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote