HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
we disagree
I agree.

07-17-2013, 09:46 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I still have to see us play more consistently down both ends to think him leaving solves all our problems. we still have lots problems.
I'm going to find it interesting to see who gets to be the fall guy now.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I'm gonna guess Mason, possibly Streit.

Streit, with his contract, is a prime candidate.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:50 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
If they fail this year. it'll be hextall movin on up and lavi movin on out.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryzleftov Prelim Olympic Roster

Like I said..persona non grata and a lot of it is of his own doing as evidenced by this latest slap in the face by his own peeps.

Quote:
Again, so much of this is steeped in rumors and the sole reasons why Bryzgalov got omitted from the preliminary Olympic roster could be because he didn't fare particularly well against lesser competition at the 2013 Worlds, did not play much better for most of his KHL stint with CSKA and because he's still unsigned. I tend to think, however, that there is more to it than just that.

There just as easily could have been list of six goalies in the pool, with Bryzgalov on the list as a courtesy (even if the Federation doesn't want him in Sochi). The fact he got omitted seems like a slap in the face, and suggests there was at least a semblance of truth to all of the non-Flyers-related controversies with Bryzgalov that made their way into the Russian media over the last year. Let's put it this way: If Bryzgalov was on rock solid ground with the Russian Hockey Federation decision-makers, he'd have made the list of five or it would have been extended to a list of six.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-More/45/52970

Old
07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
If they fail this year. it'll be hextall movin on up and lavi movin on out.
Homer had a very good offseason and has set this team up well long term. I doubt Homer will be gone after this season if this don't go as well as we all hope. Lavi on the other hand would most definitely be gone.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Homer had a very good offseason and has set this team up well long term. I doubt Homer will be gone after this season if this don't go as well as we all hope. Lavi on the other hand would most definitely be gone.
Homer had a good offseason b/c he was able to buy his way out of mistakes....particularly the ginormous Bryz one. I wouldn't consider that a best business practice exactly....

Old
07-23-2013, 01:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Homer had a good offseason b/c he was able to buy his way out of mistakes....particularly the ginormous Bryz one. I wouldn't consider that a best business practice exactly....
What about long term? Having the Schenns, Couts, G, Simmer, Voracek and several promising young prospects that should be joining the team within the next three years is a nice situation to be in and has nothing to do with the buyouts.

Homer overall is doing a good job.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
One mistake, the terrible Bryzgalov contract.

Briere could have been traded if the cap hadn't been forced down and the amnesty buyouts hadn't been made available.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
What about long term? Having the Schenns, Couts, G, Simmer, Voracek and several promising young prospects that should be joining the team within the next three years is a nice situation to be in.
Yeah but again if he didn't have his get out of jail free cards then let's see him simply add and not have to subtract.

This is what gets me about people singin his praises this offseason. Sure he made the best of the situation but he had some massive help by the league and the CBA. If he didn't, then we would have to see how he would manage himself out of the corner he originally placed the Flyers in with Bryz in particular. Last year's offseason was an example..miserable failure.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Curufinwe

I think signing one of those ridiculously inflated 14 year deals last summer would have been bad for the team long term.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:11 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yeah but again if he didn't have his get out of jail free cards then let's see him simply add and not have to subtract.

This is what gets me about people singin his praises this offseason. Sure he made the best of the situation but he had some massive help by the league and the CBA. If he didn't then we would have to see how he would manage himself out of the corner he originally placed the Flyers in with Bryz in particular.
The Flyers wouldn't have been able to add this offseason but the only thing they added this offseason was vets. That has nothing to do with all the young guys and we've already shown that Streit, Vinny and Emery were about the same price as Bryz and Briere so cap wouldn't have forced a trade of any of these young guys.

Sure he got help but so did every other GM in the league but Homer IMO has had the best offseason.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
One mistake, the terrible Bryzgalov contract.

Briere could have been traded if the cap hadn't been forced down and the amnesty buyouts hadn't been made available.
No he made a few last year too with making Carle and Jagr stew b/c he had to go after the Parise and Suter pipedream.

And I don't want to hear that they both wouldn't have helped and that Carle in particular was a no brainer b/c he was too pricey. I already talked about that situation which Meltzer noted as well. They had tagging space during the season to sign Carle to a cheaper price and terms but chose not to. So he was allowed on the open market and his price jumped ..albeit unreasonably. The fact as Meltzer also noted was that Carle..despite the hate was a need as a minutes eating PMD. How did Foster, Huskins, and Gervais work out? Hence why they fixed the earlier mistake by getting Streit who has his question marks.

Holmgren is an inconsistent GM...not bad..nor very good. I liked how he handled the Carter and Richards trades but then took a big step back the following season and it played a big part in the Flyers not making the playoffs as they were ill-assembled.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-23-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old
07-23-2013, 01:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I think signing one of those ridiculously inflated 14 year deals last summer would have been bad for the team long term.
Yup.....see the trend?

Old
07-23-2013, 01:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
No he made a few last year too with making Carle and Jagr stew b/c he had to go after the Parise and Suter pipedream.
I really don't think these two issues are as related as some want to believe. He didn't let go of Carle to pursue Suter.

He simply let Carle go because he just didn't want to re-sign him at that price, not because he thought he could land Suter instead. And I can't blame him. Carle is not in any way worth 5m per season. He's not even worth 4.5m per season. So even if we could get him at Coburn type money, it's almost guaranteed that he would have clashed with our long term plans. And this year he proved he's not worth that type of commitment.

And I really don't think he would have made our team much better last season. We lacked much more than just a simple PMD.

As for Jagr; he was going to "stew" regardless of our other plans. The guy had a good time in Philly, but I really think he's just in it now to get around the league and see what every team has to offer. I respect a guy like him because he knows this is near the end, and he wants to experience everything before it's done. I don't think he really wanted to be in one place for the rest of his career.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Curufinwe

The team is also better off without six more years of Matt Carle at more than $5 million per year.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I really don't think these two issues are as related as some want to believe. He didn't let go of Carle to pursue Suter.

He simply let Carle go because he just didn't want to re-sign him at that price, not because he thought he could land Suter instead. And I can't blame him. Carle is not in any way worth 5m per season. He's not even worth 4.5m per season. So even if we could get him at Coburn type money, it's almost guaranteed that he would have clashed with our long term plans. And this year he proved he's not worth that type of commitment.

And I really don't think he would have made our team much better last season. We lacked much more than just a simple PMD.

As for Jagr; he was going to "stew" regardless of our other plans. The guy had a good time in Philly, but I really think he's just in it now to get around the league and see what every team has to offer. I respect a guy like him because he knows this is near the end, and he wants to experience everything before it's done. I don't think he really wanted to be in one place for the rest of his career.
Even if he didn't want to pay him the fact was that he was a need..that is what people don't get. That's what Meltzer pointed out as well. Gervais, Foster and Huskins were disasters and we had basically no PMD besides Timonen. It was a bad miscalc...period.

Sure we can haggle and debate whether Carle and Jagr would have made a difference but Holmgren certainly didn't replace either of them with anything you could call productive. Really..Knuble and later Gagne instead of Jagr and his continuity with players like Giroux and Hartnell? I mean Holmgren even admitted it was probably a mistake. I wouldn't want Jagr now but at the time he was still added value to the Flyers.

Look the Flyers didn't make the playoffs for a host of reasons and one of them was Holmgren. Anybody that denies this is lost in the woods...

Old
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
The team is also better off without six more years of Matt Carle at more than $5 million per year.
What part about him going on the open market (which didn't have to happen) and getting that do people not get?

Old
07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
What part about him going on the open market (which didn't have to happen) and getting that do people not get?
?

He obviously wanted to go to free agency.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
?

He obviously wanted to go to free agency.
No he obviously did not....the Flyers obviously didn't make him a priority and put him and Jagr in a holding pattern while they pursued the Suter and Parise pipedream. Obviously, Carle didn't feel like being treated like a ginger stepchild and "Bolted" for the unreasonable cash and terms. Again, he could have been signed to more reasonable terms during the season when they had tagging space and Holmgren opened his big mouth that they could probably keep him at a home team discount. Unfortunately, Holmgren creamed his jeans over the very unlikely prospect of getting two Minnie natives to come play for the Flyers.....

Old
07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
No he obviously did not....the Flyers obviously didn't make him a priority and put him and Jagr in a holding pattern while they pursued the Suter and Parise pipedream. Obviously, Carle didn't feel like being treated like a ginger stepchild and "Bolted" for the unreasonable cash and terms. Again, he could have been signed to more reasonable terms during the season when they had tagging space and Holmgren opened his big mouth that they could probably keep him at a home team discount. Unfortunately, Holmgren creamed his jeans over the very unlikely prospect of getting two Minnie natives to come play for the Flyers.....
I think we can speculate that (and I do agree with you about Carle) but I don't think it's a given that he would've signed here for cheaper than that.

07-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Why should Holmgren have made him a priority? Suter is better than Carle. I didn't want Carle last year, and I don't want him for the next 4 or 5 years.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Even if he didn't want to pay him the fact was that he was a need..that is what people don't get. That's what Meltzer pointed out as well. Gervais, Foster and Huskins were disasters and we had basically no PMD besides Timonen. It was a bad miscalc...period.

Sure we can haggle and debate whether Carle and Jagr would have made a difference but Holmgren certainly didn't replace either of them with anything you could call productive. Really..Knuble and later Gagne instead of Jagr and his continuity with players like Giroux and Hartnell? I mean Holmgren even admitted it was probably a mistake. I wouldn't want Jagr now but at the time he was still added value to the Flyers.

Look the Flyers didn't make the playoffs for a host of reasons and one of them was Holmgren. Anybody that denies this is lost in the woods...
Even if we got Carle on a discount, it would likely have been 5-6 years at 4.5m per. How would you feel about that contract right now? Personally, I would hate it. He's not a guy I want to commit long term to, and Holmgren (thankfully) agreed.

And you admit that it's debatable that Carle would have even made a difference. Is it worth handcuffing the team for 5-6 years for one year where his value to the team is questionable at best? How is that smart management?

Now, if we accept that Carle and Jagr were leaving regardless, who would you have replaced them with? It's not like we had many options.

And for the record, I think Carle would have made our team better. Slightly better, but better nonetheless. But is it really worth a 5-6 year commitment for a marginal upgrade for one year? No way.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Why should Holmgren have made him a priority? Suter is better than Carle. I didn't want Carle last year, and I don't want him for the next 4 or 5 years.
Jeebus...the likelihood of Parise and Suter signing here was like negative percent...

Old
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Even if we got Carle on a discount, it would likely have been 5-6 years at 4.5m per. How would you feel about that contract right now? Personally, I would hate it. He's not a guy I want to commit long term to, and Holmgren (thankfully) agreed.

And you admit that it's debatable that Carle would have even made a difference. Is it worth handcuffing the team for 5-6 years for one year where his value to the team is questionable at best? How is that smart management?

Now, if we accept that Carle and Jagr were leaving regardless, who would you have replaced them with? It's not like we had many options.

And for the record, I think Carle would have made our team better. Slightly better, but better nonetheless. But is it really worth a 5-6 year commitment for a marginal upgrade for one year? No way.
Look what they signed an older Streit for.....it's debatable whether he's worth that money as well and how much better he'll be than Carle. This is my contention. Streit looks like a fix but may not be.

Closed Thread