HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL [Jets re-sign Little/Wheeler/Bogosian]

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 500
Devils fans are pretty confident right now. I don't know what to think about their team as it stands. They've had so much offensive turnover since their playoff run two years ago.

Out: Parise, Kovalchuk, Clarkson, Sykora, Ponikarovsky
In: Jagr, Ryder, Clowe, Olesz, Loktionov

Looking at it this way, I take the first group 10 times out of 10.

Part of me wants to see the them completely bomb out and have to forfeit a top 5 draft pick. The other part of me wants to see them remain competitive and miss the playoffs on the last day of the season.

Last edited by MugatuNYR: 07-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 12:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Devils fans are pretty confident right now. I don't know what to think about their team as it stands. They've have so much offensive turnover since their playoff run two years ago.

Part of me wants to see the them completely bomb out and have to forfeit a top 5 draft pick. The other part of me wants to see them remain competitive and miss the playoffs on the last day of the season.
I take the first three of the first group over the entire second group.

The players theyve brought in are a LOT slower as well. Jagr is old, lumbering and can't extend his shift. He makes up for it with his guile out there but hell need some speedy players around him to make up ground. Ryder is a floating sniper who needs help to get to the puck. Clowe we all know. Great physical player and can get in front, but is slow as ****. Olesz has had re-occuring knee problems and is inconsistent.

Guys like Zubrus and even Zajac arent the fleetest of foot either. They have size and can play the boards, but getting there is going to be an issue. A lot of good two-way talent but like some have said itll be interesting how Deboer will shift his system to accommodate the new forwards and the loss of Kovy. I dont think Lou is finished yet though.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:55 PM
NYR Viper

The Devils are going to be one of the slowest teams, if not THE slowest team in the NHL at forward. I really think Lou is trying to bring in some vets just so he can pawn them off for draft picks and to replenish his cupboard moving forward. Jagr, Ryder, Elias. I expect to see them all dealt.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

The only thing that really concerns me about the Devils is how potentially lethal their power play could be. Jagr is tremendous when it comes to finding shooters on the opposite half-wall, and Ryder is one of the best in the game when it comes to one-timing cross-ice feeds.

At even strength, however, it's an old and slow team. As Viper pointed out, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the majority of these guys gone at the deadline just so Lou can offset the inevitable loss of a lottery pick.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Devils fans are pretty confident right now. I don't know what to think about their team as it stands. They've had so much offensive turnover since their playoff run two years ago.

They're worse than last year, and they came in 11th. Is Schneider good enough to carry a team to the playoffs, a la Lundqvist? Even if they're in a playoff spot by the deadline, the smart thing to do would still be to sell.

They were at the bottom for GF last season, and they lost Ilya Kovalchuk and David Clarkson.

I'd take Parise or Kovalchuk alone over that entire 2nd group.

Last edited by Aufheben: 07-23-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its funny though, in a lot of their games, the Devils badly out possessed and outshot the opposition, they just couldnt put the puck in the net.

they lost Kovalchuk, their best scorer by a mile...

they got worse. a lot worse. even with Schneider.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Well, they don't have a draft pick, so might as well build enough just to alleviate the potential pain of losing a great lottery shot.

I know they're the Devils and they usually find ways to be competitive, but this upcoming team does not concern me in the least. The average age of the roster is on par with your local cemetery.

07-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Clarkson and Kovalchuk accounted for 27% of all goals scored by the Devils over the last 2 years. They lost that, plus Parise, and replaced it with older, slower players. They are a significantly worse team then they were last year. They were even before Kovalchuk left.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
McRanger

The Devils think very highly of their defense. One poster called them "top 10 at worst".

I don't see it. At all.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
I love how we were mocked when we traded for Clowe, now all the sudden he's Clarksons' replacement.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

They are a delusional bunch. They aren't used to this, I get that. Thinking that older, slower players are just going to come in and automatically replace the production of what they lost.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The Devils think very highly of their defense. One poster called them "top 10 at worst".

I don't see it. At all.
Andy ****ing Greene was their best D-man last year. I refuse to believe they're within spitting distance of Top 10.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:54 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Puck possession team brah.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Considering we always talk about how bad the Devils are going to be "next" season each offseason I won't be surprised if they somehow overachieve. But if I was a NJD fan I'd be anything but cocky.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:19 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Considering we always talk about how bad the Devils are going to be "next" season each offseason I won't be surprised if they somehow overachieve. But if I was a NJD fan I'd be anything but cocky.
I don't understand this mentality.

They've missed the playoffs 2 times in 3 years, never finishing higher than 4th in the Atlantic. They made it past the first round 1 time in 6 years. They've won 5 playoff series in the last 9 seasons.

Does their success over a decade ago really mean anything? Does "run to the cup" in '12 really hold that much weight? Anymore than Calgary's in '04 or Edmonton's in '06?

2003 was a long time ago. 10 years. The same time difference between '94 and the '04 lockout.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
BLOCKERSAVE

If you look at there record for last two years, overtime and shootout were many of they wins.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:32 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Andy ****ing Greene was their best D-man last year. I refuse to believe they're within spitting distance of Top 10.
They seem like a terrible group. I know they are well coached but if they can't keep the puck out of their end they are going to give up a ton of goals, no matter who is between the pipes.

For all of Lou Lams post lockout F-ups, he is yet to miss with a coach.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
They seem like a terrible group. I know they are well coached but if they can't keep the puck out of their end they are going to give up a ton of goals, no matter who is between the pipes.

For all of Lou Lams post lockout F-ups, he is yet to miss with a coach.
John McLean?

Old
07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
Brodeur and Crosby are arrogant ***** who ***** and moan all game long. That's what sets Jagr apart from them. Jagr is a classy veteran, same as Selanne
Things change. Jagr used to be viewed in an entirely different light than he is now.

If Crosby is still playing when he is 40, he'll likely be much more popular than he is now.

Old
07-23-2013, 02:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I don't understand this mentality.

They've missed the playoffs 2 times in 3 years, never finishing higher than 4th in the Atlantic. They made it past the first round 1 time in 6 years. They've won 5 playoff series in the last 9 seasons.

Does their success over a decade ago really mean anything? Does "run to the cup" in '12 really hold that much weight? Anymore than Calgary's in '04 or Edmonton's in '06?

2003 was a long time ago. 10 years. The same time difference between '94 and the '04 lockout.
Yeah, someone in a thread listed out the last 10 years or so of all of Lou's moves, signings and drafts and when you look at the complete body of work, especially the drafting as of late - his 90's/00's reputation seems to bail him out.

Granted, they've had a lot of good players up and leave the team via FA or flat out quitting.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, someone in a thread listed out the last 10 years or so of all of Lou's moves, signings and drafts and when you look at the complete body of work, especially the drafting as of late - his 90's/00's reputation seems to bail him out.

Granted, they've had a lot of good players up and leave the team via FA or flat out quitting.
You have a link?

Old
07-23-2013, 03:34 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

The Devils fans are cocky as hell, going as far to say they are a better team now. I just dont see it. Jagr is slow and has lost some of his goal touch. Clowe is what he is, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him miss significant time this year. I dont know if they are in denial or what, but the fact is they are a much worse team this year.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
You have a link?
Dont remember where or when it was. It was recent though

Old
07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
You aren't going to get Devils fans to admit they have a questionable team or that Lou has made some questionable moves.

They are one of the most cockiest fan bases in the league. No matter what move they make, its positive and a steal by Lou.

That said, they haven't put together a horrible team. They have brought in some serviceable guys.

Old
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
The Devils fans are cocky as hell, going as far to say they are a better team now. I just dont see it. Jagr is slow and has lost some of his goal touch. Clowe is what he is, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him miss significant time this year. I dont know if they are in denial or what, but the fact is they are a much worse team this year.
Absolutely it's denial.

Closed Thread