HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence on defense

Old
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
I would have no problem signing one of the big UFA defensemen for a year...Fistric Murray O'byrne

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I expected us to trade for a physical shutdown guy. I'm disappointed we haven't.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Agreed, disappointed that Bergevin decided to sign Drewiski rather than address this obvious hole in our D.

We sorely lack that big-bodied, net clearing presence. We'll see what Tinordi can provide, but he's still unproven in that department.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
Agreed, disappointed that Bergevin decided to sign Drewiski rather than address this obvious hole in our D.

We sorely lack that big-bodied, net clearing presence. We'll see what Tinordi can provide, but he's still unproven in that department.
Actually, Drewiske was doing a decent enough job trying to clear the crease. I remember in one of his first games with us, I was so surprised to see someone with the bleu blanc rouge getting people the **** away from carey.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Actually, Drewiske was doing a decent enough job trying to clear the crease. I remember in one of his first games with us, I was so surprised to see someone with the bleu blanc rouge getting people the **** away from carey.
The whole Drewiske situation is really weird. He exceeded my expectations in the first 4-5 games he played with us and then the team went through that horrible slump at the end of the season and somehow he was the scapegoat. I'd take him over Bouillon any day (regardless of contracts).

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I expected us to trade for a physical shutdown guy. I'm disappointed we haven't.
Would be a short term move cosing assets. If we can get a guy like Grossman or Coburn at a discount, fine, but trading a high pick or top prospect makes no sense. We have Emelin and Gorges with Tinordi close and Pateryn as potentially another option.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
vokiel
#FireMolgevin

vCash: 50
It'll be Tinordi or fail, simple.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:15 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
It'll be Tinordi or fail, simple.
Tinordi will probably pack on ten pounds of muscle. 6-7, 215. Not bad. He'll be 6-7, 225 the year after. Etc.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:32 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Kurtis Foster is the 6'5 version of Marc-Andre Bergeron, a great slap shot and nothing else. Soft as butter, can't defend and can't skate at all. There's a reason why he's been on so many teams ever since he broke his leg. I think I'd take Kostka before him which says a lot... Don't some people find it odd that Fistric couldn't cut it on a defense as horrible as the one that Edmonton iced this year? There's a reason why he's still unsigned people, he's a #7 at best.
Chicago signed Kostka. Peckham also.

They are signing physical depth DMen for insurance.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I would have no problem signing one of the big UFA defensemen for a year...Fistric Murray O'byrne
Murray is too expensive and O'Byrne wants to play, why would he join our logjam of blueline midgets?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:39 PM
vokiel
#FireMolgevin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Tinordi will probably pack on ten pounds of muscle. 6-7, 215. Not bad. He'll be 6-7, 225 the year after. Etc.
Yep, I'm thinking the org is counting on him being ready.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
He was 218 at the start of July according to his measurements at the development camp.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Forsead

Quote:
He was 218 at the start of July according to his measurements at the development camp.
Yeah that's also his weight in the AHL site too, I'm pretty sure it has never been updated since his draft on NHL.com, he will probably play at 225 this season and IMO will never really play with more that 235.

Habs really need a good physical mean crease clearer and I don't see Tinordi being ready for that. Drewiske is really an error IMO.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:08 PM
dcyhabs

O'Byrne is not that bad. He had some good times in Colorado. You can't expect him to put up points or carry the puck but he can hit, block shots, and dump the puch to his PMD partner. He's limited but the habs need his limited abilities more than they need Weber or even Diaz. Too many PMDs, not enough hitters.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
O'Byrne is not that bad. He had some good times in Colorado. You can't expect him to put up points or carry the puck but he can hit, block shots, and dump the puch to his PMD partner. He's limited but the habs need his limited abilities more than they need Weber or even Diaz. Too many PMDs, not enough hitters.
I would much prefer having O'byrne in the lineup than Drewiske.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Myron Gaines*

Quote:
The whole Drewiske situation is really weird. He exceeded my expectations in the first 4-5 games he played with us and then the team went through that horrible slump at the end of the season and somehow he was the scapegoat. I'd take him over Bouillon any day (regardless of contracts).
I really don't get the hate towards Bouillon, he was pretty good regardless of Therrien's stubbornness of putting him on the PP and playing him over Subban initially.

Drewiske was decent until he was asked to play top 4 minutes after Emelin's injury. He looked lost after that.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
I really don't get the hate towards Bouillon, he was pretty good regardless of Therrien's stubbornness of putting him on the PP and playing him over Subban initially.

Drewiske was decent until he was asked to play top 4 minutes after Emelin's injury. He looked lost after that.
Yeah pretty much reminds me of the Darche hate.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:

He's old, small (yeah he's more physical than Gorges, Diaz and Markov but he can't clear the front of the net at all), his defensive abilities are pretty overrated considering it's his bread and butter along his physicality. I can't count how many times he let some forward get open on the PK via the back door because his hockey sense limits him of knowing what's going on the ice. Emelin and Gorges eliminate that option but not Bouillon. And I didn't even mention how little offense he brings to this team. The only skill he has is the ability to keep the play alive in the offensive zone by keeping the puck in. Drewiske brings all those elements plus more offensive skills and more SIZE. (at almost 1/3 of Bouillon's salary too)

Old
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
25get

Drewiske vs Komisarek or O'Byrne.
All are big and 7th d-men.

Not sure who is best.
Drew did not play a lot of games.
But regarding a 7th d-men, not sure who is the best for the money.

Tinordi will start the season until Emelin is ready to play.
We have PK, Markov, Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon and Tinordi.
If injuries happen, Beaulieu and Pateryn can be called-up.
The unknown factor is Dietz.

Besides PK who can handle himself, we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Dietz and Drewiske who can all play a physical game.
PK is the oldest at 24 years old.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Drewiske vs Komisarek or O'Byrne.
All are big and 7th d-men.

Not sure who is best.
Drew did not play a lot of games.
But regarding a 7th d-men, not sure who is the best for the money.

Tinordi will start the season until Emelin is ready to play.
We have PK, Markov, Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon and Tinordi.
If injuries happen, Beaulieu and Pateryn can be called-up.
The unknown factor is Dietz.

Besides PK who can handle himself, we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Dietz and Drewiske who can all play a physical game.
PK is the oldest at 24 years old.
Drewiske is less physical than Diaz, he doesn't bring physical play, well maybe for his first 3 games with us...
Pateryn and Beaulieu aren't ready to do that in the NHL level and they shouldn't ask them to do it IMO. Tinordi I'm not sure, but I still think he need 1 more year of development to really being a consistent physical presence (I hope he prove me wrong and do it this season right away though).

Old
07-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Myron Gaines*

Quote:
He's old, small (yeah he's more physical than Gorges, Diaz and Markov but he can't clear the front of the net at all), his defensive abilities are pretty overrated considering it's his bread and butter along his physicality. I can't count how many times he let some forward get open on the PK via the back door because his hockey sense limits him of knowing what's going on the ice. Emelin and Gorges eliminate that option but not Bouillon. And I didn't even mention how little offense he brings to this team. The only skill he has is the ability to keep the play alive in the offensive zone by keeping the puck in. Drewiske brings all those elements plus more offensive skills and more SIZE. (at almost 1/3 of Bouillon's salary too)
I saw no offense coming from Drewiske. Bouillon can move the puck up efficiently at least.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
I saw no offense coming from Drewiske. Bouillon can move the puck up efficiently at least.
He's shown me that he has a better wrister than Gorges and Bouillon.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Drewiske is less physical than Diaz, he doesn't bring physical play, well maybe for his first 3 games with us...
Pateryn and Beaulieu aren't ready to do that in the NHL level and they shouldn't ask them to do it IMO. Tinordi I'm not sure, but I still think he need 1 more year of development to really being a consistent physical presence (I hope he prove me wrong and do it this season right away though).
Feels to me that Tinordi is ready. Not on a cup contending team but he is good enough to play given his size. Feels to me that Tinordi has not found the zone where he can express his game. He did it in AHL but now he needs NHL ice time.

Beaulieu is not ready but he is getting there. We need to see but if someone needs another year to get there, he is the one. I would like to see him getting 50+ points in AHL.

Pateryn is a completely different player. Beaulieu and Tinordi are going to be top-4 whereas Pateryn ceiling seems to be bottom-2.

As for Drewiske being less physical than Diaz, you are right but our sample is too small.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:42 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Chicago signed Kostka. Peckham also.

They are signing physical depth DMen for insurance.
Mike Kostka physical?? Now that is funny

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:44 PM
ValorJames

vCash: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Feels to me that Tinordi is ready. Not on a cup contending team but he is good enough to play given his size. Feels to me that Tinordi has not found the zone where he can express his game. He did it in AHL but now he needs NHL ice time.

Beaulieu is not ready but he is getting there. We need to see but if someone needs another year to get there, he is the one. I would like to see him getting 50+ points in AHL.

Pateryn is a completely different player. Beaulieu and Tinordi are going to be top-4 whereas Pateryn ceiling seems to be bottom-2.

As for Drewiske being less physical than Diaz, you are right but our sample is too small.
I think Tinordi is ready also. He has been a leader every where he has played. He is mature and learns fast. If he had a full NHL season last year we would not even be question what he will bring to the team this year.
He keeps putting on more weight but more important is how strong his upper body is getting. He really is starting to look comfortable in his big body.
Give him another 20 NHL games this year and we will all be saying WOW

ValorJames is offline   Reply With Quote