HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...canadiens.html

A review of Montreal's OHL prospects (season review and future outlook).
Not bad, not bad.....your french I'm talking about... It would be...Mesdames et Messieurs (as it should be in the plural form)...le prochain arrêt de notre tournée, Montréal.

As far as the article, I totally agree that I'd love to see Vail upgrading his point totals for sure. As far as Crisp is concerned, he's surely one of the Habs prospect I'd be more looking forward to as he was unexpected, at least for me, and I had way more names before his when it was time to pick. Can't wait to see his progression.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Fairly bad, Brock but you're awesome and your insight is well appreciated as usual.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
shortcat1

OHL Prospects - Brady Vail & Connor Crisp

I hope I'm not late again with this but I found a link to an article on Brady Vail & Connor Crisp.

Some good comments on both players and, surprisingly for me after all the negative comments on him, there's lots of positive stuff on Connor Crisp.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:25 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

really rooting for Crisp and I like what I've heard.

I couldn't help but be reminded of PK telling Gainey he won't regret picking him when Crisp said the same thing on twitter. Couldn't help but get pumped when I made that connection.

If both McCaron and Crisp can reach their ceilings then that's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Habbadasher

If Vail turns into a serviceable player, it will help us too.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:49 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Just wondering why there isn't a Thread for Trades?

Erik Gudbranson RD - Florida Panthers - #3 OV - 2010 draft - 6'5" and 210 lbs.
Rugged, physical player with above avg. skating and passing with
some offence. Smart player, how do I know? He's a Hab fan.

He's a player that could really enhance the Habs defence going forward, the Habs have great depth at defence. What they need is another big Dman that can clear the front of the net for Price to be more effective. Tinordi and Emelin are very capable, but when either of them are injured the Habs haven't got a third big body Dman to share that load. In the next couple of years, the team's going to be contending for the SC as quite a few of our best forward prospects graduate.

Subban, Beaulieu, Diaz and Bennett seem the most likely PMD's the Habs will keep and they will be formidable. That will leave Tinordi, Emelin and Didier as the Dmen clearing the front of the net and keeping the opposition honest (punishing players for taking liberties with our goalies and small forwards). Gudbranson would be a much better choice IMO if the Habs can trade for him.

Florida is a team with a smaller team budget and with the Habs prospect depth being deep on defence, it may be possible for Tallon & Bergevin to make a deal happen. The Habs would have a very solid defence with great goaltending (Price & Fucale) then.

Galchenyuk will be ready to lead the offence along with veterans Pacioretty, Eller and Plekanec. The young prospects Collberg, McCarron, De la Rose, Hudon, Bournival and Gallagher will comprise a top nine to rival any other teams.

While Prust, White and Crisp will be able to handle the oppositions tough players, if need be Gudbranson and Tinordi will be available to calm down the hotheads.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 09:03 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post

He's a player that could really enhance the Habs defence going forward, the Habs have great depth at defence. What they need is another big Dman that can clear the front of the net for Price to be more effective. Tinordi and Emelin are very capable, but when either of them are injured the Habs haven't got a third big body Dman to share that load. In the next couple of years, the team's going to be contending for the SC as quite a few of our best forward prospects graduate.

Subban, Beaulieu, Diaz and Bennett seem the most likely PMD's the Habs will keep and they will be formidable. That will leave Tinordi, Emelin and Didier as the Dmen clearing the front of the net and keeping the opposition honest (punishing players for taking liberties with our goalies and small forwards). Gudbranson would be a much better choice IMO if the Habs can trade for him.

Florida is a team with a smaller team budget and with the Habs prospect depth being deep on defence, it may be possible for Tallon & Bergevin to make a deal happen. The Habs would have a very solid defence with great goaltending (Price & Fucale) then.

Galchenyuk will be ready to lead the offence along with veterans Pacioretty, Eller and Plekanec. The young prospects Collberg, McCarron, De la Rose, Hudon, Bournival and Gallagher will comprise a top nine to rival any other teams.

While Prust, White and Crisp will be able to handle the oppositions tough players, if need be Gudbranson and Tinordi will be available to calm down the hotheads.
I'd like to know how we keep all those players/assets AND get Gudbranson.

Anyways, I'm really excited to watch McCarron in London this year. Is he expected to get top6 icetime, or is he starting bottom6/scratch?

Thanks

Old
07-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I hope I'm not late again with this but I found a link to an article on Brady Vail & Connor Crisp.

Some good comments on both players and, surprisingly for me after all the negative comments on him, there's lots of positive stuff on Connor Crisp.
Post #425, end of last page 10 hours before you, by the author of said article.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:02 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs61 View Post
I'd like to know how we keep all those players/assets AND get Gudbranson.

Anyways, I'm really excited to watch McCarron in London this year. Is he expected to get top6 icetime, or is he starting bottom6/scratch?

Thanks
That's a job for the GM not me, but the Habs have quite a few defence prospects and forward prospects. That's one way of keeping a team's Cap down and like I said Florida is a budget team, so that's always a concern for them. To get a player like Gudbranson that changes a team's dynamic, throw in a 1st & a 2nd round pick + a couple prospects.

He would make the Habs defence one that's comparable to Nashville's if not better when Beaulieu et al join the Habs D-corps.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Alright, this may come across as the most random story ever, but ex-Habs prospect Jason Missiaen was just in my house!

As some of you may know, my wife and I just purchased our first home after spending years in an apartment building. Well, Jason's mom works at the law office which closed the home purchase for us, and she that it was so awesome that I was also at the draft back in '08 and that I was very familiar with Jason's career. Super nice lady.

Anyways, today she shows up at our door with Jason, who has an autographed picture for me. Didn't stay long, but I thought that was pretty damn cool.

Couple of things:

- He's TALL. Everyone knows this, but holy crap.

- He shook my hand, and he has a pretty damn strong grip.

- They commented on my Habs cap, and I jokingly asked Jason if the Habs were still his favorite team. His answer..."No"

- Apparently back in 2008, the Habs were the ONLY team to interview Jason. I find that hard to believe, but that's what his mother told me. She could be getting it mixed up, but I suppose it's possible.

Anyways, super random story but thought you guys may be interested.

07-27-2013, 05:04 PM
That

For the past couple days I've been watching Otters' games from this past season, obviously keeping a close eye on Crisp. As someone who did not like the pick AT ALL, I've really started warming up to it as he potentially fills a huge need in the organization.

Crisp has a big frame that he's already filled out quite a bit at 6'4" 225 lbs. In the games I watched, he was simply immovable from the front of the net. Defenders would attempt to move him and bounce off, or they'd just let him have the front of the net without much of a battle. Now being strong in front of the net is almost useless if you don't know how to score goals by tipping pucks and banging away. Crisp does both and does them extremely well. His ability to tip pucks is fantastic. Nearly every goal that I saw him score was a deflection. Not only can he tip pucks close to the net, but in the high slot, too. Crisp has a soft touch and some pretty quick hands around the crease.

Crisp is also a very good defensive player. He backchecks with lots of intensity and doesn't shy away from blocking shots. He's very efficient at getting pucks out his own zone as he battles hard and doesn't waste any time moving the puck up the ice. However, I'd really like to see him hit more often. He does play the body, but he needs to get in on the forecheck harder and throw his weight around with more regularity.

Puck skills are where Crisp needs some serious work. He does have a soft touch around the crease, but I don't recall seeing him beat anyone in a one-on-one situation with his hands. His passing also needs work, although sometimes he did make very smart passes. His shot has a surprising amount of torque behind it (more than I remember in previous viewings) but his release is sluggish and his accuracy is poor. Skating is another area that needs improvement as Crisp is lumbering and often behind the play. Technique-wise, I find him pretty good, but his speed, explosiveness, and agility all need lots of work.

One thing that I really like about Crisp's game is that he's always making an impact. No matter which line he's on, who he's facing, or what the score is, he continually involves himself in the play. He'll throw a hit, stand in front of the net, drop the mitts, cycle down low, backcheck, block shots, etc. Essentially everything you want a role player to do. Simply put, he has terrific work ethic and a desire to win.

Enough talking, here's some footage:

Old
07-27-2013, 05:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
For the past couple days I've been watching Otters' games from this past season, obviously keeping a close eye on Crisp. As someone who did not like the pick AT ALL, I've really started warming up to it as he potentially fills a huge need in the organization.

Crisp has a big frame that he's already filled out quite a bit at 6'4" 225 lbs. In the games I watched, he was simply immovable from the front of the net. Defenders would attempt to move him and bounce off, or they'd just let him have the front of the net without much of a battle. Now being strong in front of the net is almost useless if you don't know how to score goals by tipping pucks and banging away. Crisp does both and does them extremely well. His ability to tip pucks is fantastic. Nearly every goal that I saw him score was a deflection. Not only can he tip pucks close to the net, but in the high slot, too. Crisp has a soft touch and some pretty quick hands around the crease.

Crisp is also a very good defensive player. He backchecks with lots of intensity and doesn't shy away from blocking shots. He's very efficient at getting pucks out his own zone as he battles hard and doesn't waste any time moving the puck up the ice. However, I'd really like to see him hit more often. He does play the body, but he needs to get in on the forecheck harder and throw his weight around with more regularity.

Puck skills are where Crisp needs some serious work. He does have a soft touch around the crease, but I don't recall seeing him beat anyone in a one-on-one situation with his hands. His passing also needs work, although sometimes he did make very smart passes. His shot has a surprising amount of torque behind it (more than I remember in previous viewings) but his release is sluggish and his accuracy is poor. Skating is another area that needs improvement as Crisp is lumbering and often behind the play. Technique-wise, I find him pretty good, but his speed, explosiveness, and agility all need lots of work.

One thing that I really like about Crisp's game is that he's always making an impact. No matter which line he's on, who he's facing, or what the score is, he continually involves himself in the play. He'll throw a hit, stand in front of the net, drop the mitts, cycle down low, backcheck, block shots, etc. Essentially everything you want a role player to do. Simply put, he has terrific work ethic and a desire to win.

Didn't realize he was that big.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Treb

Quote:
Tomas Holmstrom lite?

Old
07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

That's what I was thinking too Treb, anyway thanks for the update That, it's really appreciated!

Old
07-27-2013, 11:26 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Halifax will be higher than middle of the pack.

They got two very skilled Euros, when they acclimatize to the league, they will have enough fire power to be competitive.

They won't be a dominant team but they'll be good.
They'll win the Maritimes, but that's because the Maritime division will be average next season, not because they'll be uber good. They are losing a lot of players. And quality ones at that. Fournier, Frk, Mackinnon, Drouin, Albertshauser and Macaulay, off the top of my head.

Their only challengers should be the Rocket, but they lack actual depth, and Moncton with their truck load of Americans and Barbashev, they lose a lot of vets though. Cape-Breton is going nowhere, Bathurst will be average as usual, and the Dogs will have another stinky season.

I wouldn't list Halifax in my top5 for the 'Q.

Baie-Comeau, Rimouski, Gatineau, Drummondville and Rouyn are ahead of them, certainly.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
They'll win the Maritimes, but that's because the Maritime division will be average next season, not because they'll be uber good. They are losing a lot of players. And quality ones at that. Fournier, Frk, Mackinnon, Drouin, Albertshauser and Macaulay, off the top of my head.

Their only challengers should be the Rocket, but they lack actual depth, and Moncton with their truck load of Americans and Barbashev, they lose a lot of vets though. Cape-Breton is going nowhere, Bathurst will be average as usual, and the Dogs will have another stinky season.

I wouldn't list Halifax in my top5 for the 'Q.

Baie-Comeau, Rimouski, Gatineau, Drummondville and Rouyn are ahead of them, certainly.
Could be, in Halifax wildest dreams, envision the return of Drouin? They might find is not strong enough to rapidly do his thing in the NHL and playing with a much weaker team, could be a great experience for him.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:51 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Could be, in Halifax wildest dreams, envision the return of Drouin? They might find is not strong enough to rapidly do his thing in the NHL and playing with a much weaker team, could be a great experience for him.
It's a possibility. But a very slim one. Now that would make them a good team. I love Falkenham and Ashley, but those two were on the 3rd/4th line last season, and they have pretty big boots to fill on the first line.

I forgot to list Matthew Boudreau who they traded to Shawi, Beauchemin who shouldn't be a big loss considering he was on the fourth, but he could have played on any other team's 3rd line.

Old
07-28-2013, 09:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I've spoken to a few scouts about Crisp since he was drafted, however am I the only one to completely miss that he was 6'4 and not 6'2? I liked the pick at 6'2 but at 6'4 I like him even more, holy cow

Old
07-28-2013, 10:04 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I've spoken to a few scouts about Crisp since he was drafted, however am I the only one to completely miss that he was 6'4 and not 6'2? I liked the pick at 6'2 but at 6'4 I like him even more, holy cow
Yeah, same. If you look at his profile on canadiens.com, it has him at 6'4 225. That's pretty nuts.

Old
07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yeah, same. If you look at his profile on canadiens.com, it has him at 6'4 225. That's pretty nuts.
I like what I"ve heard about him but the fact that he's 6'4 just adds that extra dimension to his game that the Habs desperately need. I like this pick more so today then yesterday

Old
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I like what I"ve heard about him but the fact that he's 6'4 just adds that extra dimension to his game that the Habs desperately need. I like this pick more so today then yesterday
The quote that struck me the most, forgot where I read it, but was something to the effect of Timmins admitting that Crisp was more jacked than he was

Old
07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
That's a job for the GM not me, but the Habs have quite a few defence prospects and forward prospects. That's one way of keeping a team's Cap down and like I said Florida is a budget team, so that's always a concern for them. To get a player like Gudbranson that changes a team's dynamic, throw in a 1st & a 2nd round pick + a couple prospects.

He would make the Habs defence one that's comparable to Nashville's if not better when Beaulieu et al join the Habs D-corps.
How much would it cost for a team to get Galchenyuk while we are at it? Be realistic, ofcourse looting top end talent is going to make our team better, shame other teams don't live to build the habs for us. You think florida is just itching to trade a $100 bill for a fistful of 10's?

Why not Seth Jones or Pietrangelo while we are on the subject of nonsense?

Old
07-28-2013, 01:30 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:

This whole post...all of it...I just...I don't know where to start

Oh boy

Old
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
How much would it cost for a team to get Galchenyuk while we are at it? Be realistic, ofcourse looting top end talent is going to make our team better, shame other teams don't live to build the habs for us. You think florida is just itching to trade a $100 bill for a fistful of 10's?

Why not Seth Jones or Pietrangelo while we are on the subject of nonsense?
Quote:
This whole post...all of it...I just...I don't know where to start

Oh boy

Now if you can see how good the team will be with one more talented Dman, I've made my point!

Old
07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

great footage, thanks That! That hattie was pretty nice with those tips.

And what was this talk about him not knowing how to fight? His technique needs heller work but some people made it sound like he was Kostopolous or something. He goes with some big boys and does well.

I'm starting to think this kid will surprise. Big boy too.

Closed Thread