HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2013, 09:11 PM
  #551
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Braun settled for a plea deal.

A-Rod won't settle for a lifetime ban, and the MLB won't win a battle to get him that. Never happening.
which IMO is ultimately what Arod will do.. settle for a 2014 suspension, they have more evidence against him compared to Braun.

BUT.. if its proven that Arod tried to have evidence against him destroyed.... well then...

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 09:14 PM
  #552
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Braun settled for a plea deal.

A-Rod won't settle for a lifetime ban, and the MLB won't win a battle to get him that. Never happening.
I agree. That would mean he doesn't get the rest of his money...

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 09:15 PM
  #553
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Yankees and Arod should both agree to putting Arod on the PUP list therefore Arod gets his money, and the yankees get out of the contract, much like Albert belle did.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 09:26 PM
  #554
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
The list of Yankee free agents this off season is a mile long, and lets face it we only want Cano, Jeter and Kuroda back IMO. (since Mo is retiring for sure).. If Alex gets suspended for the majority or all of 2014, the Yankees are gonna have a hell of alot of money coming off the payroll next season.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:10 PM
  #555
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,578
vCash: 500
Mets have been playing really good ball recently.

I can't help but be a LITTLE disappointed, as a top 5-7 pick coupled with Wheeler maturing, D'Arnaud and Syndegaard coming up, and signing whatever OFers we can with a protected pick this off-season would set us up very, very nicely for the near present and future.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:23 PM
  #556
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 18,738
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Mets have been playing really good ball recently.

I can't help but be a LITTLE disappointed, as a top 5-7 pick coupled with Wheeler maturing, D'Arnaud and Syndegaard coming up, and signing whatever OFers we can with a protected pick this off-season would set us up very, very nicely for the near present and future.
Meh. We've been doormats since 2008-2009, especially late in the season.

Lets play some good ball heading into next year.

Getting to .500 would be nice. Build on it. Add some OF bats, improve the bullpen.. Harvey, Niese.. hopefuly Wheeler takes the next step next year.

Fire Sather is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:32 PM
  #557
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What teem is really going to offer a kings ransom for a guy who is going to be a UFA and command huge money?

Dodgers for instance if they believe they can get the extension done.

darko is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
  #558
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
There have been exactly 11 deals in MLB history over 7 years..

Player Team Signed in Contract
1. Alex Rodriguez Yankees 2008 10 years, $275 million
2. Alex Rodriguez Rangers 2001 10 years, $252 million*
3. Albert Pujols Angels 2012 10 years, $240 million
4. Joey Votto Reds 2012 10 years, $225 million
5. Prince Fielder Tigers 2012 9 years, $214 million
6. Derek Jeter Yankees 2001 10 years, $189 million
7. Joe Mauer Twins 2011** 8 years, $184 million
8. Mark Teixeira Yankees 2009 8 years, $180 million
9. Felix Hernandez Mariners 2013 7 years, $175 million
10. CC Sabathia Yankees 2009 7 years, $161 million
11. Manny Ramirez Red Sox 2001 8 years, $160 million
11. Matt Kemp Dodgers 2012 8 years, $160 million

Which contracts do you think have been worth it?

IMO, Matt Kemp is experiencing injury after injury and having a horrible season, Manny was traded before his contract was up, CC opted out (only to re-sign), neither of Arod's contracts have been worth it, Mauer is not even catching anymore, Tex has had nothing but injuries and down years lately.. Pujols was solid last year, abysmal so far this year and still 8 years left (at age 33? we think).. The jury is still out on Prince fielder and Joey Votto's deals..

IMO, only the investment (so far, as I said jury is still out on Fielder/Votto) that has worked out was Jeter.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:37 PM
  #559
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Dodgers for instance if they believe they can get the extension done.
Dodgers just signed a cuban 2B for 32M over 7 years.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
  #560
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
There have been exactly 11 deals in MLB history over 7 years..

Player Team Signed in Contract
1. Alex Rodriguez Yankees 2008 10 years, $275 million
2. Alex Rodriguez Rangers 2001 10 years, $252 million*
3. Albert Pujols Angels 2012 10 years, $240 million
4. Joey Votto Reds 2012 10 years, $225 million
5. Prince Fielder Tigers 2012 9 years, $214 million
6. Derek Jeter Yankees 2001 10 years, $189 million
7. Joe Mauer Twins 2011** 8 years, $184 million
8. Mark Teixeira Yankees 2009 8 years, $180 million
9. Felix Hernandez Mariners 2013 7 years, $175 million
10. CC Sabathia Yankees 2009 7 years, $161 million
11. Manny Ramirez Red Sox 2001 8 years, $160 million
11. Matt Kemp Dodgers 2012 8 years, $160 million

Which contracts do you think have been worth it?

IMO, Matt Kemp is experiencing injury after injury and having a horrible season, Manny was traded before his contract was up, CC opted out (only to re-sign), neither of Arod's contracts have been worth it, Mauer is not even catching anymore, Tex has had nothing but injuries and down years lately.. Pujols was solid last year, abysmal so far this year and still 8 years left (at age 33? we think).. The jury is still out on Prince fielder and Joey Votto's deals..

IMO, only the investment (so far, as I said jury is still out on Fielder/Votto) that has worked out was Jeter.
Disagree about not including Manny and CC with Jeter as being worth it. Manny had been great for a long time and helped them end the curse. CC has won a lot of games and helped win a WS.

RGY is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
  #561
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
The first Arod contract was solid, those were prime years, overpaid sure, but he was putting up huge numbers those years.

The second Arod deal and the Pujols deals are just terrible, my goodness.

17futurecap is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:57 PM
  #562
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Disagree about not including Manny and CC with Jeter as being worth it. Manny had been great for a long time and helped them end the curse. CC has won a lot of games and helped win a WS.
Sabathia is a tough one for me, because he's been pretty bad this year overall.. He's only really performed well so far for 3 years.. Whats the next 4 hold. plus he had surgery in the off season. and yes I know he delivered a WS but does 1 WS justify the duration of a 7 year contract? same with Manny.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 10:59 PM
  #563
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
The first Arod contract was solid, those were prime years, overpaid sure, but he was putting up huge numbers those years.

The second Arod deal and the Pujols deals are just terrible, my goodness.
Hank should have been locked in a damn cellar that off season.. The guy opts out of a contract that Texas is paying a good portion on, Yankees (Cashman) are adamant they will not bring back Arod if he opts out, then he opts out, the yankees cave and give him an even bigger contract because of the stupid HR record, which now means jack **** with the PED admittal.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:02 PM
  #564
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Sabathia is a tough one for me, because he's been pretty bad this year overall.. He's only really performed well so far for 3 years.. Whats the next 4 hold. plus he had surgery in the off season. and yes I know he delivered a WS but does 1 WS justify the duration of a 7 year contract? same with Manny.
To me it does. I am a huge Yankees fan and though it may seem like we don't understand the true value of a WS because we've had so many...it is a huge accomplishment for any organization. You can bet your ass KC fans would say Manny's contract was well worth it if he had delivered a WS series in the past decade. He was an unparalelled clutch hitter imo.

And yes CC is having a bad year but this whole year has been mush to me. CC does need to be better.

RGY is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:06 PM
  #565
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
To me it does. I am a huge Yankees fan and though it may seem like we don't understand the true value of a WS because we've had so many...it is a huge accomplishment for any organization. You can bet your ass KC fans would say Manny's contract was well worth it if he had delivered a WS series in the past decade. He was an unparalelled clutch hitter imo.

And yes CC is having a bad year but this whole year has been mush to me. CC does need to be better.
Yeah Manny was a tremendous clutch hitter, but he was kinda mediocre overall after that 2005 season (4 years into his contract). but point taken about a WS being rather difficult (even for us lately) so its a huge accomplishment. That would also make Tex's contract worth it though... gotta draw the line somewhere.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:13 PM
  #566
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yeah Manny was a tremendous clutch hitter, but he was kinda mediocre overall after that 2005 season (4 years into his contract). but point taken about a WS being rather difficult (even for us lately) so its a huge accomplishment. That would also make Tex's contract worth it though... gotta draw the line somewhere.
I mean I agree. I think the line in the sand is that Manny was more integral to Boston winning theres than Tex helping us win in 09.

RGY is online now  
Old
07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
  #567
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I mean I agree. I think the line in the sand is that Manny was more integral to Boston winning theres than Tex helping us win in 09.
Also, we've had to put up with countless stuff with this new Arod contract.. but he was very instrumental in 2009, its hard to justify this contract for one WS..

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 05:21 AM
  #568
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
Since he's signed his contract, CC is 5th overall in WAR for pitchers. Only Verlander has more wins and CC also has a WS. I don't think he's been bad this year, though he's underperforming expectations and what he's capable of. I don't see any reason to believe that he's breaking down and he definitely has a few more seasons to earn the remainder of the contract. So far, he's done everything you could ask of in an ace.

I don't know if any pitcher is worth 25 per but it's hard to 'overpay' an ace who's dominant.

Callahan Auto is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 08:28 AM
  #569
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
You may not get a "kings ransom" but you can definitely get a top prospect if he's traded to a contender that thinks they can re-sign him.

Detroit Tigers...
I can't see the Tigers ponying up 200M for Cano when they're working an extension for Cabrera (who is worth more than Cano). Cano is also not really a need for the Tigers.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
  #570
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Hank should have been locked in a damn cellar that off season.. The guy opts out of a contract that Texas is paying a good portion on, Yankees (Cashman) are adamant they will not bring back Arod if he opts out, then he opts out, the yankees cave and give him an even bigger contract because of the stupid HR record, which now means jack **** with the PED admittal.
That's what happens when people who know nothing about baseball/contracts are running the show. Even though it was brief.
Hank was too dumb to realize that something like 6/150 would have gotten it done. He outbid himself by a country mile.

And to think, large segments of Yankee fans wanted him to replace George.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 01:02 PM
  #571
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That's what happens when people who know nothing about baseball/contracts are running the show. Even though it was brief.
Hank was too dumb to realize that something like 6/150 would have gotten it done. He outbid himself by a country mile.

And to think, large segments of Yankee fans wanted him to replace George.
You can't forget the ever so helpful work of Goldman Sachs:

Quote:
Goldman Sachs’ relationship with
the New York Yankees dates to
2001. The following year, together
we launched what would become
the #1 most watched regional
sports network in the country, the
YES Network. The deal marked
one of the largest private equity
investments at the time, and
the beginning of an ongoing
relationship with the Yankees.
As a result of this relationship,
Alex Rodriguez approached
Goldman Sachs in November
of 2007 to explore options
for resuming a dialogue with the
Yankees after opting out of his
contract. Goldman Sachs worked
to help both parties find their
common ground after negotiations
had stalled. After facilitating the
conversation, Goldman Sachs
brought its negotiations expertise
to bear in helping to define the
terms of the deal—a $275 million
contract over the course of
10 years, keeping Rodriguez with
the Yankees for the duration
of his career.
The deal reflects the firm’s leading
Business Principle of putting clients’
interests first. Goldman Sachs is
committed to its relationship with
the Yankees and is the lead financial
advisor for their new stadium
due to open in April of 2009.
http://www.goldmansachs.com/investor...ual-report.pdf

frozenrubber is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
  #572
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Arod got his own doctor, doctor says no quad injury hes fine to play. God enough with the sideshow already geez

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
  #573
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Arod got his own doctor, doctor says no quad injury hes fine to play. God enough with the sideshow already geez
ARod is now officially at war. His presence in the locker room will immediately turn toxic the day the suspension is announced.
AROD tells they Yankees to ****, you're stuck with me and Im taking you down with me.

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 04:57 PM
  #574
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
This Arod/Yankee stuff is a real life Soap Opera.

As The World Turns...

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  #575
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
This Arod/Yankee stuff is a real life Soap Opera.

As The World Turns...
George would have paid out his entire contract by now

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.