HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 666
Awards:
ISS Draft Rankings with blurbs by Hockey Now's Scott Fisher:
Quote:
1. (D) Aaron Ekblad: He was just the second player — and first blueliner — to be granted ‘exceptional player’ status by the OHL. The 6-4, 213-pound defenceman had 10 goals and 29 points in 63 games with the Barrie Colts and was named the 2012 OHL rookie of the year.

2. (C) Sam Reinhart: The 6-0, 182-pound centre put up 62 points in 67 games in 2011/12 with the Ice and was named WHL rookie of the year. He upped those totals to 35 goals and 85 points in 72 games last season and seems certain to hit triple digits in his third campaign.

3. (RW) Anton Karlsson: The younger brother of Ottawa Senators star D-man Erik Karlsson, Anton is set to make a name for himself. The smooth-skating 6-0, 170-pounder had four points in five games at the U-18 world championship.

4. (F) Willie Nylander: Another youngster looking to follow in his father’s footsteps, Nylander has the potential to put up bigger numbers than pops. Michael had 209 goals in 920 games with seven NHL teams. His son has all the tools to excel.

5. (LW) Jake Virtanen: He scored 16 goals and 34 points during his freshman campaign, the best production by a 16-year-old Calgary Hitmen in at least 15 years. But Virtanen’s game is more than just flashy numbers. The 6-0, 190-pounder is developing into the kind of power forward scouts will covet in a year’s time.

6. (F) Michael Dal Colle: A finalist for OHL rookie of the year honours, Dal Colle possesses slick playmaking skills. While he makes his linemates look good, he’s also got a rocket of a shot and could fill the net if he shoots more.

7. (RW) Oskar Lindblom: One of very few underagers on the Swedish team, Lindblom scored twice and added a pair of assists at the U-18 world championship in April. He uses his size and strength to protect the puck.

8. (C) Jared McCann: The lanky pivot showed poise under pressure during his freshman campaign with the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. McCann posted 16 points over his final nine games as the ’Hounds geared up for the playoffs.

9. (LW) Blake Clarke: The 6-1, 190-pounder is an American playing for the OHL’s Brampton Battalion. He had 51 points in 68 games during his rookie campaign and is solid at both ends of the rink.

10. (RW) Kaspar Kapanen: The Finnish star’s poise with the puck is beyond his years. Kapanen played with his father Sami, who played a dozen seasons with three NHL clubs, in a SM-liiga game this season.

11. (LW) Sonny Milano: The talented American isn’t the biggest guy in the game, but his talent is huge. His quickness and puck skills are similar to fellow U.S. standout Johnny Gaudreau, a star at the last world juniors.

12. (LW) Nicholas Ritchie: The Peterborough Petes winger may be the most physically mature player in the draft, especially among forwards. Ritchie is already 6-2 and nearly 220-pounds and plays with a physical edge.

13. (C) Leon Draisaitl: The 6-0, 200-pounder has the potential to be the finest hockey player Germany has ever produced. Draisaitl was a consistent offensive threat in his first season with the Prince Albert Raiders, putting up 58 points in 64 games.

14. (RW) Jakub Vrana: The highest-ranked Czech prospect, Vrana was named one of the top three players on his team at the U-18 world championship and was the youngest player at the world junior tourney in Russia. His superior speed and vision make him an attractive prospect.

15. (D) Brycen Martin: The solid Swift Current Broncos defenceman played regular minutes during his rookie campaign in the WHL. He also saw significant time on both special teams.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:00 AM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

vCash: 500
I love me some German players, but this is a top 3 or bust year. If they can pick up another 1st in a Vanek move, though, I'd be thrilled to see Nylander / Draisaitl as the haul.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:06 AM
ZeroPT*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
I love me some German players, but this is a top 3 or bust year. If they can pick up another 1st in a Vanek move, though, I'd be thrilled to see Nylander / Draisaitl as the haul.
It would require 2 top 10 picks in order to get Draisatl AND Nylander. And to be honest I prefer Reinhart over Nylander .

Old
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
It would require 2 top 10 picks in order to get Draisatl AND Nylander. And to be honest I prefer Reinhart over Nylander .
Getting one of any of those guys looks to be satisfactory at this point, to say the least. Right now I'm more just trying to identify the guys I really like and believe in as great NHL prospects. Those are my 3 forwards right now, but I put Draisaitl behind the other 2 in terms of where I think he'll go. Reinhart probably ends up #1 or #2 when it's all said and done.

Hard to say who goes where in the draft order or where we'll be drafting. Hopefully we get a second top 15 first somehow, such as a team trading for Vanek or Miller and then having a bad season. Not likely, but I dare to dream.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
sonnEbunny

You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves with this picking in the top 3 stuff. We could very easily improve our placing from last year especially if we keep Vanek and Miller for any length of time. This season could go either way and from the looks of it you're counting your chickens before they hatch.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Woodhouse

Awards:
Pronman's Very Early 2014 Draft Ranking:
Quote:
1. William Nylander, Center, Sodertalje-Allsvenskan: Michael Nylander’s son has the best chance among the top guy in this 2014 draft to reach that next prospect level. His puck possession skills are simply tremendous as he’s top of the line puck handler with a great offensive mind. Nylander also skates quite well. His only issue is his size as he’s a slight 5′10′’ forward. His offensive upside is through the roof though.

2. Sam Reinhart, Center, Kootenay-WHL: Reinhart is a great all-around player. His hockey sense is elite and it’s why he projects as a top scorer who can also play in every situation. He has a great skill level and works hard. Reinhart’s a little small and not a blazing skater so even with his other great attributes he doesn’t project as a superstar. There’s still a lot of reasons to be optimistic about him though.

3. Aaron Ekblad, Defense, Barrie-OHL: The 2nd ”Exceptional” player from the OHL after John Tavares and before Connor McDavid has looked very good in his brief OHL career. Ekblad is a big, tough, athletic, mobile defenseman who shuts down top players very effective. He scored a lot of points in the 2012-13 OHL Playoffs but there’s at least some doubts from scouts if his offense is at the dynamic level you want in a top pick.

4. Jakub Vrana, Right Wing, Linkoping-SHL: Vrana is one of the top Czech prospects to come around in a few years. His skill level is off the charts as he’s a player who can create a scoring chance out of nowhere and bring observers out of their seats. He’s agile, shifty, and has great hockey IQ. He needs to bulk up though which will likely come with time.

5. Leon Draisaitl, Center, Prince Albert-WHL: Germany hasn’t produced many elite hockey prospects but Draisaitl looks like he could be one to come from that nation. He has a ton of offensive skills, be it his great hands, vision and shot but he also accompanies it with a good work ethic and power game. He just needs to get an extra step or two in his skating to really elevate his game to that next level.

6. Michael Dal Colle, Center, Oshawa-OHL: Dal Colle is intriguing because of the wide variation of abilities he has. He’s got a nice sized frame and can protect the puck well, but he also has a lot of skill in his game. He can make high-end plays with the puck be it making defenders miss or setting up teammates. He also works hard in both ends. I’ve heard division on his skating where one scout will like it and another will say it can use work.

7. Kasperi Kapanen, Left Wing, KalPa-SM-Liiga: Kapanen is a smaller player at around 5′10′’-5′11′’ but he has a really dynamic talent level. Kapanen skates very well with a tremendous first few steps. He’s also a top level playmaker who can make very difficult feeds and really impressed with his hockey IQ given how young he is.

8. Samuel Bennett, Left Wing, Kingston-OHL: Bennett had a very impressive rookie season in the OHL and U18 performance as an underage player. Scouts universally praise the speed and energy he plays with but he can also make plays. His vision and instincts with the puck are quite good to go along with his skating and intangibles. He’s averaged sized though and needs to bulk up.

9. Roland McKeown, Defense, Kingston-OHL: McKeown has a lot of tools and his upside from the backend is significant. He’s a really graceful skater who moves easily, with very good skill and top-end offensive instincts. He’s still a bit of a work in progress though who needs to address his defensive game. He’s very young and that area of his game could see improvement this season.

10. Blake Clarke, Left Wing, Brampton-OHL: Clarke has a chance to be a really skilled power forward and a player fans just love to watch. He’s not huge but has a decent 6′2′’ frame and uses it well to throw big hits and protect the puck. He also has a lot of skill and can create scoring chances in bunches.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Rasmus Reichel

We picked a really **** year to tank. Last year would have been so much better

Old
07-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Don't worry, with a limited UFA crop and the likely departure of Vanek and Miller, Buffalo looks like they could easily be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes in '15.

07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Last year would have been better, but you could have said that about most drafts. This draft has top end talent in it and we need top end talent.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Don't worry, with a limited UFA crop and the likely departure of Vanek and Miller, Buffalo looks like they could easily be in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes in '15.
True that is the bright side although I must admit I'm not very familiar with the '15 draft class past McDavid

Old
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Ya like Buffalo would ever be that fortunate. Seeing as we have alot of young talent coming in the next couple years and guys like Hodgson, Myers, Grigorenko hopefully stepping up I doubt we are even in the mix. If Miller and Vanek return this year we will not have a top 3 pick in 2014 either.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:27 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
I think there is plenty of talent coming in this next draft. Ekblad is already considered a special player and other players will*emerge as well.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
ZeroPT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Ya like Buffalo would ever be that fortunate. Seeing as we have alot of young talent coming in the next couple years and guys like Hodgson, Myers, Grigorenko hopefully stepping up I doubt we are even in the mix. If Miller and Vanek return this year we will not have a top 3 pick in 2014 either.
I don't think they will, especially miller, Vanek might stay but I think this team will pick top 3, struggle to find a worse team apart from maybe Florida.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Woodhouse

Awards:
Kris Baker's early glimpse at the 2014 draft crop.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
So many small high octane forwards in 2014. A year before the draft the top 10 is as wide open as I can ever remember, I could see on of the forwards emerging like Drouin did last season.

I've seen quite a few of these guys play in the Ohl already and it seems like the depth is better than most are saying, a guy like Goldobin and Ho Sang being so low in the initial rankings is little surprising, I've seen both take over games as 17 year olds.

It seems like a draft where you are going to get an offensive winger.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Selanne00008

Playing Devil's advocate. Any possible way this team turns it around? Under Rolston they were I believe a projected 7 seed. We also performed better as the younger guys came into the lineup and played to earn their keep.

I am definitely not saying it will happen and I think we are at least a top 10 pick right now. There's a lot of other factors riding against like other teams improving and the division alignment which puts us with some very tough competition.

But, does anyone actually think we end up top 8 in the conference?

Old
07-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Woodhouse

Awards:
2013-14 NHL CSS Futures list.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
ottsabrefan

Beyond Tomorrow: The Class of 2014 article:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...class-of-2014/

McKeown as top defenceman ahead of Ekblad (due to skating and defence)

Old
07-23-2013, 04:19 AM
12Gage09

Buffalo will be in Toronto Maple Leafs territory this year - Not good enough to make the playoffs, Not bad enough to win the draft lottery. Another ****** year and Ryan Miller will be gone and maybe some other guys which will start the 2015 campaign to fail for Connor McDavid.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Buffalo Warlord

Typical, when we are the worst team ( on paper ) the upcoming draft is very meh. Ekblad is quality and couple decent wingers.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:24 PM
twinpeaks

Looks pretty weak on defense.

Old
07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Warlord View Post
Typical, when we are the worst team ( on paper ) the upcoming draft is very meh. Ekblad is quality and couple decent wingers.
Sure, but its still way to early. Drouin wasn't in most people's top 10 to start the year, Huberdeau wasent on anyone's radar to start his draft year and Landeskog wasn't in anyone's top 10. Guys will shoot up the rankings and guys will fall.

Most of these kids were 16 year old rookies in the CHL burried behind 18-20 year olds and have not had the opportunity yet to succeed.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Someone will have to pinch me if something that good ever happens to a Buffalo sports franchise.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Draisaitl reminds me of Niederreiter. Good but never great Hockey nationality that's hadn't produced an elite prospect. Plays with a lot of determination on the ice and highly skilled. He's the most interesting prospect in the draft in my opinion.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Sure, but its still way to early. Drouin wasn't in most people's top 10 to start the year, Huberdeau wasent on anyone's radar to start his draft year and Landeskog wasn't in anyone's top 10. Guys will shoot up the rankings and guys will fall.

Most of these kids were 16 year old rookies in the CHL burried behind 18-20 year olds and have not had the opportunity yet to succeed.
i know this one is false.

Closed Thread