Notices

question for Jets fans

Old
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks Kev for explaining this better than I could. This article also shed some light on Atlanta fans and their feelings about the sale and how it went down.

http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/6/1...-winnipeg-jets
That article is so poorly done and full of inaccuracies as it relates to Winnipeg, I wouldn't even be sure where to start.

I thought that Kev had an excellent post...believe me, I have felt your pain Atlanta...

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
koth

vCash: 162
After the Jets left for Phoenix, I stayed a Coyotes fan, all the while still calling them the Jets. It was hard to follow the team closely because of the distance and lack of coverage. I think I only got to see a few games in total.

Once we got the new Jets back I completely forgot about the Coyotes and I actually follow the new Jets a lot closer than the old Jets simply because there is so much more information out there (i.e. the Internet).

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Thanks Kev for explaining this better than I could. This article also shed some light on Atlanta fans and their feelings about the sale and how it went down.

Oh look. Yet another article showing Winnipeg and it's fanbase in poor light. And of course, it comes from south of the border. You could have posted any other kind of article that focuses on how Thrasher fans felt once the relocation occured. Instead you posted an article that villifies our city and fanbase. So what that tells me, in the selective choice of this particular article, is that there is no interest in discussing that issue in a rational manner, but rather only maintaining interest in knocking Winnipeg and our fans.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Lars65

vCash: 884
I enjoyed watching the Coyotes for years after the Jets left, but outside of the first few years, they weren't my favourite by any stretch. While the team leaving tore my heart out, it was hardly the team's fault or even Phoenix's that the Jets left, so why bother with resentment?
That last article's premise that the selection of the Jets as the new teams name was the source of the ugly comments towards Atlanta by some Winnipeggers is ludicrous, however. Those people would have been just as ignorant no matter the name. Some people just have no class. No matter their origin.

Lars65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

wow... i though kev's response was very nicely worded and an excellent and understandable example.

that article posted on the other hand...jesus that's ****ing awful. The author of that article is no better then the small vocal minority that, as far as I know, hasn't quite had the social impact they seem to think they have.

Quote:
I enjoyed watching the Coyotes for years after the Jets left, but outside of the first few years, they weren't my favourite by any stretch. While the team leaving tore my heart out, it was hardly the team's fault or even Phoenix's that the Jets left, so why bother with resentment?
That last article's premise that the selection of the Jets as the new teams name was the source of the ugly comments towards Atlanta by some Winnipeggers is ludicrous, however. Those people would have been just as ignorant no matter the name. Some people just have no class. No matter their origin.
I'd have to agree with that.

Last edited by Grind: 07-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Excellent post kev fist. I agree completely. We still have a few atl based posters here on hf jets and they are awesome. Love the support. I dont blame any atl fan that wants nothing to do with the jets though I couldnt support coyotes either.

Quote:

This is a fine article but they should have stressed more that it wss the vocal minority whi creates these problems (as well as the phoenix winnipeg rift). Many here are supportive of atl and we do have many "southern" hockey supporters here like me and guerzy that understand how hockey can and does work in the south. And id say a LARGE portion of hockey fans here wanted new name and identity (like me). However we do not yell as loud as the vocal minority.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Lars65

vCash: 884
I'm sorry, Holden but if you believe it was a vocal minority who supported the rebirth of the Jets moniker, you are incorrect, IMO. I wanted Jets, and never said it here or anywhere else for that matter. Almost anyone who cared to offer an opinion to me (unsolicited, I might add, so guess they were vocal, lol) said the same.

Lars65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 06:55 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Excellent post kev fist. I agree completely. We still have a few atl based posters here on hf jets and they are awesome. Love the support. I dont blame any atl fan that wants nothing to do with the jets though I couldnt support coyotes either.

This is a fine article but they should have stressed more that it wss the vocal minority whi creates these problems (as well as the phoenix winnipeg rift). Many here are supportive of atl and we do have many "southern" hockey supporters here like me and guerzy that understand how hockey can and does work in the south. And id say a LARGE portion of hockey fans here wanted new name and identity (like me). However we do not yell as loud as the vocal minority.
Holden, I don't always aree with your opinions or posts - but I usually find them well informed (reasonable people can often agree to disagree).

However, your assertion that it was a fine article - and your assertion that it was a minority that wanted the Jets name - I think both comments really miss the mark.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:02 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:

didn't seem to shed much light on Atlanta fans feelings about the sale at all actually. in fact, Altanta fans and their feelings were barely mentioned at all. did you post the right link?

as for the article... WOW. that was bad.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
My early childhood years were spent cheering for the Leafs, during the time that they were still a professional hockey team! Those were heady years, with Dave Keon, Mahovolich and lots of Stanley Cups. I transitioned to the Jets 1.0, just after Henderson scored the winning goal in the '72 Summit Series, so my timing was damn near impeccable. The WHA years were awesome, as my buddies and I would beg, borrow and steal jets tickets to watch Bobby, Anders, Ulf , Lars Eric Sjoberg (reminds me of Enstrom) et al. The Jets 1.0 are inextricably intertwined with my early adult years, when life was oh-so-simple.
The Jets 1.0 left just after the birth of my third child and I basically abandoned hockey, as I had no time and was completely turned off of the NHL. Fast forward 16 years and I now share seasons tickets with a large group, but have the opportunity to take my boys to see their very own NHL team. They love it and I love seeing them love it. One son is moving away to University this fall, but says he'll be back because of the Jets (not for his parents, but for hockey!?). This is not an uncommon scenario, believe me.
So, although I am an old guy, who should have better things to do, I am lovin' this new era, as I see the excitement I once felt with the early Jets reflected in my kids' faces with our new Jets.
I pulled the above post from a year-old thread entitled, Which Team did You Previously Cheer For. It was one of my first posts on HF Boards, back when I was a raw rookie...
Nothing has changed except the Leafs look like they are a real hockey team again

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Nothing has changed except the Leafs look like they are a real hockey team again
Woah there. Let's not get crazy now.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:26 PM
boanst

vCash: 590
Quote:

Odd, I don't see any references to Atlanta fans in this story at all. I mostly see a bunch of Winnipeg-smearing, and most of it is poorly researched. I could imagine a few meatheads from this city dressing down Atlanta fans for whatever reason they thought they needed. There's no excuse for that. But this is just an awful piece, and shame on you for bringing it here.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:34 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanst View Post
Odd, I don't see any references to Atlanta fans in this story at all. I mostly see a bunch of Winnipeg-smearing, and most of it is poorly researched. I could imagine a few meatheads from this city dressing down Atlanta fans for whatever reason they thought they needed. There's no excuse for that. But this is just an awful piece, and shame on you for bringing it here.
Yeah. The article didn't highlight anything regarding Thrashers fans' feeling about anything. It was a hackneyed, poorly researched smear article that attempted to villify the fanbase, city, and ownership of TNSE. Terrible piece of blogging.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
BACK ON TOPIC, EVERYONE!

This is NOT a Winnipeg vs. Atlanta thread. If it were, it would be closed.

Go back and read the OP and respond to it, or move on.

Thank you.

07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
I pulled the above post from a year-old thread entitled, Which Team did You Previously Cheer For. It was one of my first posts on HF Boards, back when I was a raw rookie...
Good post and I like your original as well......always good to hear the stories.

great post as well Kev......thx

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Kev-BroFist pretty much summed it up entirely.

I still miss the Thrashers very much as well as my group of old posters from the board. But at the same time am very happy to be apart of this community with Winnipeg and the Jets.

Honestly, could you imagine what this board would be like if I had never stayed.

It's chilling to even contemplate.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:39 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Oh look. Yet another article showing Winnipeg and it's fanbase in poor light. And of course, it comes from south of the border. You could have posted any other kind of article that focuses on how Thrasher fans felt once the relocation occured. Instead you posted an article that villifies our city and fanbase. So what that tells me, in the selective choice of this particular article, is that there is no interest in discussing that issue in a rational manner, but rather only maintaining interest in knocking Winnipeg and our fans.
Sometimes it really seems like some posters have no motivation for posting than to demean other fanbases while maintaining a jingoistic fervor towards their own. It's a vicious cycle of mockery and self grandiose buffoonery that leads to nothing but bitterness on all sides. I often wonder if those participating in these kinds of self effacing activities really understand the scope of their actions. The real question is, does it serve any true purpose? Or, do the posters just do it to overcompensate for their own self doubt. I'll never understand. I just want people to enjoy their teams and nevermind the bollocks.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:40 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Kev-BroFist pretty much summed it up entirely.

I still miss the Thrashers very much as well as my group of old posters from the board. But at the same time am very happy to be apart of this community with Winnipeg and the Jets.

Honestly, could you imagine what this board would be like if I had never stayed.

It's chilling to even contemplate.
Yea I don't even want to go there

Old
07-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Sometimes it really seems like some posters have no motivation for posting than to demean other fanbases while maintaining a jingoistic fervor towards their own. It's a vicious cycle of mockery and self grandiose buffoonery that leads to nothing but bitterness on all sides. I often wonder if those participating in these kinds of self effacing activities really understand the scope of their actions. The real question is, does it serve any true purpose? Or, do the posters just do it to overcompensate for their own self doubt. I'll never understand. I just want people to enjoy their teams and nevermind the bollocks.
Please take this post and put it on billboards and on tv commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea I don't even want to go there
It's chilling bro.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Well stated, historically Winnipeg has been a bit of a punching bag so we know the drill.

It goes hand in hand with most trade threads between fan bases. No matter how nicely it starts out sooner or later the lowest common denominator prevails. Makes one want to take a nap.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
boanst

vCash: 590
What interests me is what are the feelings of the fans of relocated franchises that have no allegiances to the franchise's location in the first place? We have folks here from 2 distinct places that know firsthand how it feels to have their team literally ripped out of their backyard, but what about the fans from overseas or other parts of North America?
Obviously nobody wants to see that kind of turmoil involving their favorite team, but has it affected them much at all? Of the current Jets fans from overseas that were also Thrasher fans, did this situation cause you any thought about reconsidering allegiances?

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I may not live in Atlanta, but I made multiple trips there a year and multiple visits to Philips arena.

Just because I couldn't see the moving truck from my backyard doesn't mean I felt it any less than any other fan.

Old
07-24-2013, 12:49 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanst View Post
What interests me is what are the feelings of the fans of relocated franchises that have no allegiances to the franchise's location in the first place? We have folks here from 2 distinct places that know firsthand how it feels to have their team literally ripped out of their backyard, but what about the fans from overseas or other parts of North America?
Obviously nobody wants to see that kind of turmoil involving their favorite team, but has it affected them much at all? Of the current Jets fans from overseas that were also Thrasher fans, did this situation cause you any thought about reconsidering allegiances?
Duke89 and GermanJetsFan are the two resident Euro fans around here, though there might be more. I know Duke began his allegiance because he was playing one of the NHL games and ended up picking the Thrashers as his team because of it. i don't think GermanJetsFan went into his back story that I can recall.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Duke89 and GermanJetsFan are the two resident Euro fans
Umm, pretty sure Duke lives in Atlanta; unless he recently moved to Europe?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:04 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Umm, pretty sure Duke lives in Atlanta; unless he recently moved to Europe?
Perhaps the 4 (or is it 5) roommate situation finally got to Duke and GermanJetsFan had an opening at his flat?